Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Ohtori Akio posted:

in the hallway with all the monochrome pictures i love that on the zoomed out shots its all just actual pictures of random hot japanese people but on the zoomed in shots its character art. big lol

Fun fact: they're actually pictures of people in Be-Papas!

Ohtori Akio posted:

two super significant things: the guy who cucks nemuro is apparently same age akio, but "a long time ago"? does that timeline work out? + mamiya is pseudo akio, then a different character who looks more like nemuro, then anthy. huh?

The flow of time is convoluted in LordranOhtori. Or, Nemuro's memories faded in time, and so the Mamiya who looks like Tokiko is the actual Mamiya, who really did die back then - Anthy took his place (and illusions are real?).

That's also why Anthy is so tired during this arc - go back and look at how often she's just falling asleep. Double jobbing as someone who wants you dead is tiring work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Akio's cold stare in 25 as Anthy giggles is one of the scariest frames in the show, presaging so much unpleasantness.

There are some really interesting moments that I like to poke at in this show. One is when it cuts from Utena to Akio in 26 - how you interpret Anthy's refusal to tell him what Utena meant can change a lot.

It's also interesting note how Anthy dissociates from his violent grab by focusing on the ruined cup.

Small moments...

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Lysistrata posted:

I am so, so enamored of the stuff being posted here! I wouldn't normally chime in, because I am an untreatable lurker, but I wanted to add something that y'all might not know-- the duel songs were not written for Utena, but they were also not slapped on after the fact. Apparently what the Be-Papas did was listen to the songs while writing and use certain songs to inspire certain characters. Basically vibes-based. The duel songs aren't going to have a 1:1 correlation with the characters, but there is a definite connection.

This is true, but only up to a point. Seazar did start writing songs for Utena eventually - and then never stopped.

The OST is up to 13 volumes, currently.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I drew attention to it at the time, but now I can do so again - in episode 26, Anthy refuses to explain Utena's words, so Akio violently grabs her and pulls her close, breaking a teacup. Her response is directly paralleled by Utena; Anthy dissociated talking about the broken cup in response to being assaulted, Utena dissociates and talks about food (and Anthy) in response to being raped even though, because Akio's grooming was so successful, she wouldn't describe it as rape.

Also the game is actually Othello (which was recently computationally solved!) - and when Utena turned away, Akio must have cheated, because the game state is impossible.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Imo the most mind-blowing part is the realisation that Utena didn't become a Prince because she was impressed with Akio - she became a Prince because she was empathizing with Anthy. But trauma and time made her memory hazy and twisted and here she is today.

"Who are you?"

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

It's the school necktie, so just who he's mirroring is up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Ohtori Akio posted:

i think the utena-eva comparison is always valid even if influence is indirect because they're dealing with such related theming and in the same moment.

As well as the friendship between the leads, Enokido was a script writer on both. There's a lot of crossover!