Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mr. Locke posted:

They promoted it fine- it got a very big presence in in the launch of it's beta.

I dunno, I disagree. They did promote it by having big name streamers play the game, which was a good idea, but they didn't capitalize on it by handing out enough keys to people. I know I signed up for a beta key when Dowsey first streamed the game, and I never got a key until you could just add the open beta to your library in Steam like a year later. They only handed out very small numbers for a while, and then stopped handing keys out entirely for months.

By the time the game came out on Steam, most people had already lost interest, and then it turned out that the game's balancing was loving horrible, and testers had reported all the issues months ago but the devs refused to listen. Nobody wanted to play monster and the game died. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently there's some hidden nerfs that weren't included in the patch notes for ~* reasons *~. Windows of Opportunity at least got got.

Also that Alien Queen is comically huge.

E:

I guess the lore team is on vacation or something.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blasmeister posted:

Windows is an incredible learning tool and completely fair. Stupid choice for a nerf

This pretty much puts to rest any claims that they're not balancing by pick rate. Windows is not an amazing perk, but it's useful for solo players and newbies so people run it a lot.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

Apparently it's a moot point, it wasn't actually nerfed there was just a bug that brought the old description back. Confirmed by BHVR

Considering their recent track record I'd wait for non-BHVR people to confirm it, but good.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yardbomb posted:

It also muddies the water even more on subtle cheaters which sucks.

Yeah, there's been numerous situations where Otz and the entire chat are swearing up and down that a survivor has MFT, but then they didn't. I guess they just mysteriously appeared to be slightly faster than they should be to a guy who probably knows the game better than anyone else? He's too classy to immediately say they're cheating, but come on.

Another classic is the "have MFT, and speed hack, but set the speed hack to 5% or 6%". That's still in the range that to most people they will just figure out that the survivor is faster than they should be but then go "oh, they had MFT, that figures" because MOST of us don't have the level of muscle memory for this game that we can immediately feel if someone is two percent faster than they should be.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gort posted:

So I have a group of four friends (four including me, so four people in total) and this game's on discount this weekend. If we all buy it with the intention of just playing with the four of us (IE: One killer, three survivors) are we going to have a good time?

I mean probably. You can also have a bot as the fourth player. You will definitely avoid all the problems with toxic and abusive shitheads (unless, you know...), and while you won't be able to get any progress on daily or weekly quests, or level up characters in custom matches, you will be able to freely pick from all the available perks etc, so it's a moot point.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lonjon posted:

I honestly think custom matches with friends with one buddy rotating as the Killer role would be the absolute best way to play this game.

100%. I know some people who only play in a group of five, rotating the role of killer. They love DBD, and can ignore all the dumb poo poo and drama in the community. It sounds like heaven.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently popular DBD streamer Ayrun isn't streaming DBD anymore and will only be streaming TCM for the foreseeable future. His big reason was that he was sick and tired of only playing against the same couple of killers over and over again and just getting fed up with the state of the game.

So that's probably a good sign, huh?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

Lmao at hitching wagon to a game that'll be lucky to hold out for six months. Not a comment on TCM quality but just the odds with every asym horror game.

Oh I'm sure he'll be back to DBD in a few months, but if I was Hank Behaviour, I might take it as a bad sign that people aren't like "hey this is a new game in a genre I enjoy, I'm gonna play it for a while" but "I am so fed up with DBD's bullshit that I'm jumping ship". People are shouting from the rooftops that they need to start fundamentally fixing their game, to very little effect.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Evil Kit posted:

Or it's just a long time DbD streamer finally dealing with massive burnout and using TCM as an excuse to take a break. :shrug:

Sure, I totally get that. Nothing wrong with taking breaks from games, but in my experience when it's delivered with that kind "I can't deal with this loving bullshit anymore" vitriol, it's not a good sign of the game's health.

To compare: I play a lot of Final Fantasy XIV and World of Tanks. When I take a break from FFXIV, it's just a thing. OK, I feel like playing something else for a while, I'll be back when the next content patch drops etc. With World of Tanks it gets to a point where playing the game actively makes me angry and frustrated, and I feel like I never want to touch it again.

The fact that DBD is in the second category is IMO an awful sign of the game's overall state and health. I don't even think we need to bring any competitors -- serious or not -- into the discussion. It's not news to anyone in this thread that the game's playerbase is generally a toxic sewer, and the balancing has glaring and large problems. And Behaviour seem to kinda be actively ignoring both of these problems because fixing them would take time and effort, and that would cut into their revenue streams temporarily.

I don't think the game's going to die overnight, nor that TCM is going to overthrow it (and the devs don't seem to even want to, they're content doing their own thing), but it's sad how bad things have gotten and how little hope there seems to be of anything changing. Occasionally nerfing whatever perk the spreadsheet says is the problem this month (or more realistically this six months) ain't gonna do poo poo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CuddleCryptid posted:

I regret to inform you that it turned into Among Us.

I mean, thumbs up to the Among Us devs for figuring out how to turn the Mafia/Werewolf/Secret Hitler/Room 25/The Resistance/whatever formula into an easily accessible video game and how to make bank with it.

It's kinda wild that I can walk past the toy store at the mall in my city in Finland and see loving Among Us toys in the window, and last year when I participated in a "buy christmas presents for the children of less well off families" charity thing, A LOT of the requests from surprisingly young kids were Among Us toys and stuff. Like 4-5 year old kids.

And FNAF.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If anyone is interested in Deceive Inc, it is in this month's Humble Monthly Bundle so you can get it and some other games for 12€ (Deceive Inc. is 18€ normally):

https://www.humblebundle.com/membership

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Watching Otz play new Skull Merchant, and looks like the nerf just razed her to the loving ground.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

In her defense, Otz is flat out saying he has no idea how to play her now. It does seem really complicated understanding how her drones work now.

Yeah but it feels less like Otz not understanding something and more like SM's power just seeming so useless that he feels like he must be missing the parts that make it work somehow. And I don't think there's anything. They just designed a killer that's only good at one type of gameplay, and that gameplay is very unfun to play against, and none of their game designers or supposed internal testers ever figured this out, so in an effort to make it fun to play against, they just nerfed her power to the loving ground.

Like loving lol at a killer who's entire power is deploying area scanners, and then you can just literally sit on a gen in the scanner's radius and not get detected because Behaviour couldn't think of any other way to balance this poo poo.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 19, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Relyssa posted:

It seems to only care about your proximity to the hooked survivor and whether other survivors are also close to it. Doesn't seem like it takes anything else into account.

Almost like this is a half-assed bandaid they slapped on to "fix" a fundamental game design issue without really considering all the ramifications. Surely this won't be causing any problems down the road.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Evil Kit posted:

BHVR isn't a shining beacon of good game dev or anything

No, they're the polar opposite. They're focusing everything on rushing out content that is constantly broken and poorly thought out*, and keeps breaking the game in new ways.They don't properly test sweeping balance changes, they obviously balance the game by looking at loving spreadsheets, they actively ignore feedback from people they're supposedly soliciting it from, they actively lie to their playerbase, and they do this all under the guise of just being these little guys, you guys wouldn't be mean to us little guys, would you**?

(* see for instance The Skull Merchant, who was so well planned that six months later they had to 'rework' her power entirely, because they somehow didn't figure out that the only thing her power was good for was unfun 3 gen camping, and now she's complete poo poo. GG if you paid 10 bucks for her!)
(** 1000 plus employees and revenues in the hundreds of millions)

They COULD be doing better. They just don't, because it would eat into their profits by distracting them from rushing out a new killer every three months come hell or high water.

Evil Kit posted:

Taking a step in the right direction is still a good thing even if they gently caress it up, trying is a lot more than some devs will do.

The problem is that this "step in the right direction" is going to be another poorly thought out BHVR special that will predictably gently caress over a lot of killer players in interesting and exciting ways, and then if those problems are ever fixed, it's going to take months. So this is only a "step in the right direction", if the only thing you care about is "do survivors occasionally get face camped Y/N". People called out on day one that this is going to completely break multi-level maps, and the response to that was nothing. Hope you don't get sent to Midwich or Gideon!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 22, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't think the DBD devs are maliciously pushing out killers to drive sales, I think they just have ideas for killers that don't end up working with the game they have designed.

I don't think they're maliciously pushing out killers either, but I 100% believe that their number one concern is pushing out a new pair of killer and survivor every three months, come what may. Hell, Peanits pretty much said as much in his famous post. And I also believe that the game's overall quality is suffering a great deal because of this, because they don't have time to proper balancing or rebalancing.

E: and I don't blame the DEVS themselves for that. Everyone who's worked in software development knows that you do what the higher ups tell you to, and often that isn't what's best for your product or its long term health.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 22, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kwolok posted:

So far the anti-camping mechanic seems... fine to me?

Disagree.

- Starts building the moment a survivor is hooked, even if the killer just immediately runs away the meter will build to ~20% before they get out of the radius.
- No indicator for the killer that they are within the radius.
- As previously mentioned, if you're above or below the hook's level, you still count as camping. Hope nobody sends you to a map with more than one level!
- A survivor being in the anti-camp area only slows the progress down a bit, but doesn't stop it, so survivors can just dick around with impunity near hooks and if the killer doesn't leave, the hooked survivor just gets a free unhook
- If you hooked a survivor in the basement and come bring another survivor down to be hooked as well, you will either trigger the unhook or come very close to it
- There are many places where gens are within the no camping bubble, meaning the killer either has to abandon those gens or give a survivor a free unhook

It's incredibly bad, unless the only thing you care about is "survivors can no longer be face camped". Face camping sucks and anyone who just routinely does it also sucks, and unlike tunneling, it isn't even the "right" way to play the game. I't just something spiteful and mean to do to ruin the game for one survivor. But this sucks as a fix.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 22, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kwolok posted:

Anti camping mechanic is fine. If it means some killers might be a bit worse off because of a few extremely edge case problems

I don't know if I'd call problems like "maps have more than one floor" and "killer hooked a survivor in the basement" extremely edge case. And while it's possible that they are going to address some of this stuff, people have been bringing the points up literally since the thing was announced and they still let it go to PTB like this so...

E:

Positivity? The Xenomorph is the best killer they've released since Wesker and the Dredge, and probably even better for the game's overall health than Wesker. I'm not saying "best" in the sense of being powerful or broken. Just a solid, fun killer to play, and one that has fun counterplay as well (although the flame turrets could probably be tweaked up a bit).

E2: edited tone to be less snarky.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 23, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

quote:

When this feature was tested on the PTB, it treated both horizontal and vertical distances equally. However, this had a side effect of detecting Killers on different floors as camping even if the shortest path to the hooked Survivor was rather long. This was especially noticeable on indoor maps such as The Game.

In a later update, the meter will be weighted more heavily toward horizontal distance than vertical. This will make the meter a little more forgiving if the Killer passes by on another floor.

So they do have the ability to differentiate between floors. I have no idea why they didn't consider this in the first place, and I have my doubts about "a little more forgiving" being enough, considering the layout of multi-story maps.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

Some people play a role in a game just to have power and sadistic control over somebody to make up for an inadequacy in the rest of their life.

Yes but enough about survivor mains :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I don't care about the new charm since I only wear pride flags and / or the Puppers charm, so here's one for someone: f5db4d28-c0f7-4a15-8b66-c2d5f87ccd95

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's not DBD, but I'm posting this here anyway since it's a BHVR game, and it's hard to not see very familiar design philosophies in play here. In short, Meet Your Maker, the game where you design fiendish fortresses full of traps and enemies, and then have other players raid them in an effort to get treasure and whatnot, is practically dead. It's averaging under 30 concurrent players on Steam and it's been out barely six months.

Otz did a video on why he thinks the game died, and this all feels very familiar to DBD players. The tl;dr is that they've added so many get out of jail for free tools for the dungeon raiders that it's nuts. They've added a rechargeable shield that completely lets you ignore any traps or enemies. They've added a feature that literally paints a path on the ground directing you to the treasure with the shortest route. They've added co-op (good!) where you can just revive your partner endlessly with no penalty, and you can also drop recharging respawn points in case you both die at the same time (bad!). It's gotten so bad that you can just go blind into a fortress someone spent countless hours tweaking, and blast through it in two minutes with zero deaths. Otz does this several times in the video! And as a result people don't bother spending a ton of time making fortresses anymore because the only way you get rewards for building dungeons is if people die repeatedly in them, and so there's nothing to play, and so the game is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lStX7JDrPo

I'm not saying this is proof that DBD is going to die as well because I honestly think DBD has too much inertia and too many popular licenses to truly die. But it is fascinating to see them do the same kinds of design decisions in another game without those benefits, and the results of those decisions. I'm also not going to pretend it's easy to design and balance a game like this so that both sides have a fun and rewarding experience,

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK, I'm a sucker, but.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2383990/Ghostbusters_Spirits_Unleashed_Ecto_Edition/

They put out a 4v1 Ghostbusters game, so of course I bought it. Apparently it has full bot support and custom matches with full progression, story mode etc. They've got Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd. And it was 14 euros.

But really, I'm a sucker for anything Ghostbusters related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtX6Dnkin68

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

Just be aware it's not a new game, it's a year old - just came to Steam, before was Epic exclusive.

Oh right, that's where I know the name from. Well poo poo, even if I just play bot matches with Ghostbusters trappings, I bet I'm gonna get my 14€ worth.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

idontpost69 posted:

most of survivor bitterness can be traced to gens. Doing gens, tedious work, for an entire match and then feeling like failure was innevitable sucks. Losing a teammate and your tedious objective now becoming impossible sucks. If the entire game say resembled endgame where you're just freely running around by the seat of your pants with no 90 second qtes weighing you down I think people would be better sports about the humiliation of getting ganked.

That's one of the things TCM did really well IMO. It's not a game of linear progression where the survivors have to tick five items off a list and then escape, it feels more open ended and varied.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently Xeno can't play on Hawkins. If you try, you get sent to a random map instead. And Sadako doesn't have any TVs in the upstairs area.

It's just such an own goal. You're bringing back the hot license and map everyone's been begging to get back for two years, but you don't update it to work with new killers? Yeah they'll probably do it eventually, but dudes come on.

E: and Wesker's hitbox is so wide that in the places where you can hook people in the narrow corridors, he can't physically move past the hooks anymore after hooking and has to go the long way around.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 6, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A lot of people who overpaid for Stranger Things codes are REALLY SALTY right now. Several of them in Otz's chat. I mean... I can understand it kind of, but nobody forced you to pay insane amounts for it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DeathChicken posted:

So if they start selling Demo again I wonder what they do with all his perks that are now free on everyone, if anything

They posted a FAQ on the website saying the perks will be free and open to everyone for a while, but will become locked behind the DLC purchase again at some point. Which is fair enough IMO.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I dunno, they kinda blatantly lost the Prey license for Skull Merchant.

Eh, just replace the Skull Merchant model with a Predator model and replace the name. Yeah this Predator likes to read dark animes and dresses in thirst trap outfits, what?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

Of coruse the FNAF fanboys are freaking out because the dude used a butcher knife in the recent movie so who knows.

Of course they are. There has literally never been a single thing or image posted about DBD that they didn't twist themselves into a pretzel to convince each other was a FNAF reference.

Chucky would definitely be a weird addition, because the guy is so tiny. If they do do it, I hope they get Brad Douriff to voice him.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Relyssa posted:

Imagine playing as Victor permanently but at 115% speed.

Sure but how would carrying survivors or hooking them work? Just a three pointer into the hook from downtown (IS IT THE SHOES?!)

Someone on Reddit mentioned the original Child's Play was released on November 9th 1998, which would make this Thursday the 25th anniversary.

Worryingly someone else mentioned that in the latest movie he apparently possesses a human or something, and speculated that the possessed human would be the killer, and then the ability to unleash Chucky would be the power, ie. Twins 2.0. That would be the most boring and stupid answer so now I'm convinced that's what's happening.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there anyone over the age of, I dunno, 11 that gives a poo poo about fnaf? I’m so tired of seeing people want that poo poo in the game plus the creator’s a giant chud.

I don't get it. It's incredibly boring, soulless and generic poo poo, but I guess the FNAF super fans just haven't ever seen anything better so they think "generic broken dolls kill a guy while screaming" is the most revolutionary poo poo ever. And yeah, after the creator's shittiness was revealed I went from not giving a poo poo to actively disliking it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 7, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Relyssa posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/dead-by-daylights-newest-killer-is-childs-plays-chucky

Chucky confirmed! There's screenshots and a trailer in the article. He is tiny.

gently caress yes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lurks With Wolves posted:

One screenshot makes it look like you play him from third person, which is either just screenshot framing to make the game look cool or a clever way to put the camera at Hag height when the killer only goes up to someone's knees.

Well that would finally get me to buy a killer cosmetic, at least.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Otz is live with all the PTB action.

https://www.twitch.tv/otzdarva

E:

quote:

Anytime you are stunned or blinded by a Survivor 4/3/2 times, if there is no Hex Totem associated with this Perk, a Dull Totem becomes a Hex Totem. While the Hex Totem stands, Survivors who stun or blind you get blinded for 1.5 seconds.

Well well.

E:

"TAKE THIS, DIPSHIT". Oh my god this owns.

E3: HOLY poo poo THE MORI

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 8, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

They've "fixed" it so that when a survivor is doing the Cenobite's Lament Configuration, the automatic chains no longer target them. I mean I can get that it was frustrating but still feels like a big nerf.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blasmeister posted:

Chucky curses so much it's amazing

Yeah he's saying gently caress all the time. One of his post-Mori lines is literally "gently caress YOU AND DIE".

I love it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Orv posted:

I mean there’s all kinds of weird, slasher-y ways you could use all the weird gadgets that have ended up in Siege over the years. That said, based on the usual effort Ubisoft puts into cross-promotion it’s probably just a couple survivor skins.

Yeah the DBD side is 100% going to be a skin for oh I dunno, Meg, Feng and David. And then a killer skin for let's say Deathslinger.

Oh and can't forget a charm.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I don't super love that survivors can see Chucky's glowing footsteps through walls.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

I am overthinking it but they're white and powdery, makes me think of Child's Play 1 when he walked through the flour and left footsteps.

That's a solid theory! And I think they're great otherwise. It just feels a bit weird that right now it's going to be insanely hard to do any kind of mind games with Chucky because survivors can see your precise location and direction all the time.

But it might be a bug, because it seems like they're not showing all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

King Vidiot posted:

I'm so loving hyped for Chucky, it's something I never thought I'd see and yet here we are.

And they handled him perfectly. Especially the vocal lines, he never shuts up and there's just so many unique lines

He also has some fun interactions with Nick Cage. Seems like a really fun killer to play, so I too am fearing the worst and expecting them to ram him into the ground before release. I don't think they should: he's not OP by any means.

But what they seriously should do is fix some of the annoying little issues. His power feels clunky to use around windows and pallets, and aiming the final lunge also feels a bit counter intuitive. And the cooldown for the power is a bit long without the addons, so it feels like he might be one of those killers where certain addons are basically mandatory.

Not the end of the world though.