Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

You're asking me to believe in sentient meat.
The Eve thread is dead, long live the Eve thread.

What is EVE Online?

Variously described as “Spreadsheets in space”, “A worst-in-class PvE experience”, “Sociopaths Online”, and “The game for the Nerds who are to Nerds what Nerds are to Normal People”; EVE Online is a nineteen year old sci-fi sandbox MMO published by vikings from an island that smells, by all accounts, of farts and rotting fish. Despite their best efforts to the contrary and their well-earned forum emote ( :ccp: ), Eve continues to be one of the most compelling experiences in MMO gameplay.

Eve is unique in its single-sharded world. In other MMOs, servers are sharded to help balance load and otherwise scale the game. Eve takes place on a single server (unless you live in China.) Because of this, every mistake you make and every enemy you make are there to haunt you forever. Friendships and rivalries in Eve do not disappear, making things like “politics” and “diplomacy” actually matter.
That game takes place in a fully realised sci-fi universe, consisting of thousands of solar systems, interlinked by a web of interstellar jump-gates and divided into multiple zones:
  • High Security Space, where NPC empires enforce peace and the NPC police Concord enforce the appearance of security. A "neutral" ground for players to engage in commerce and production and for clever girls (hi globby) to extract mountains of salt from the bleating of pubbies who don't understand the basic fact that Concord punishes crime. It doesn't prevent it.
  • Low Security Space, where the tentative peace of the empires break down. Dominated by small gangs of extortionists pirates and players enrolled in NPC Faction militias; all trying their best to establish pockets of hegemony and stability. CCP has recently tried to increase the value of these regions by seeding certain types of basic minerals that are primarily found there, resulting in lowsec space actually being viable to live in for small to medium sized groups and having more things to "do" other than bot faction warfare sites and camp gates. Now there's actual honest to god mining there.
  • Null Security Space:, where vast, player-controlled empires rise and fall as they jostle for influence, resources, and renown.
  • Wormhole Space: Above, below and through-out the zones outlined above, wormhole space is different things to different people. For many, wormhole space is a highway that can trim a 40+ jump trip down to 3 or 4 hops. For others, wormhole space are scary holes where bad man come from to savage peaceful krabbing encounters. For still others, it's a cozy little hobbit hole far removed from the hubbub and flexing of null security politics... at least until the wormhole cartels start eyeing your cozy hole for rental to russian or chinese botting farms.
  • Abyssal Space:. A relatively recent addition, abyssal space is Eve's version of an instanced dungeon. You go in, do a thing for up to 20 minutes, and exit with a pile of loot. Some of which can be sold for cash, other items are lucrative on the market to feed the gambling addictions of eve billionaires and trillionaires.
  • Pochven. This space used to be a mixture of high security and low security systems. However, some triangle men got into a fight with some electricity men, and they disappeared their 27 systems into their own disconnected region that you get to by use of filaments and wormholes. The triangle men love triangles, so you see 27 systems are 3 x 9 and 9 is 3 x 3 so you see triangles everywhere. This has resulted in some hilarity in the eve universe. The trip from Jita to Amarr (two of the major market hubs in eve) used to be just 9 jumps away through high security space. Now a "safe" high security route is 45 jumps. It is a stretch to call Pochven an MVP. The system showers isk on a very small number of people in a poorly veiled attempt to gloss over how half-assed and incomplete the entire system is. If you are one of the 15-45 people making stupid amounts of isk, it's great. If you are not in the hand-shake cabal of sycophants slobbering to suckle from black and red veined teat of the triangle men, it's a waste of time and effort.

The resources from all these regions (except Pochven and Abyssal space) are vital to the overall economy, because in EVE Online all but the most basic of commodities are the result of hours of player interaction. Nearly everything of worth on the in-game market is the culmination of multiple resource chains that had to be extracted, refined, manufactured, shipped, and assembled. When that cumulation of hundreds of player hours ultimately ends up on the battlefield, if destroyed, it’s gone forever, leaving only scraps of loot and salvage for the victor to pick through.

This cycle of creation and destruction, as well as the ability to trade game time purchased for real money as an in-game commodity, creates a vibrant and meaningful sense of consequence and value. Here's a recent trailer showing an FC that bears a striking resemblance to Asher Elias and some decently accurate depictions of modern eve fights (and good music).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78mIgZDJZew

Why should I play EVE Online?
The game is pretty and consistently updated with new textures, graphics, and DX12). Seriously.

It’s rewarding in the depth and complexity of its mechanics; the breadth of experiences (some intended by the developers, many not), and the single-sharded aspect means that your decisions and choices matter. Develop a reputation for dumpstering the alliance's wealth, and never live it down.

It’s the only game where War-Leader, Diplomat, Industrial Monopolist, Combat Photographer, Scam Artist, Day Trader, Messianic Cult Figure, Long-Haul trucker, Provocateur, Propagandist, and Spy are roles fully fleshed out and engaged in meaningful competition. Mastery of a role takes curiosity, skill, and dedication.

Most importantly, it's a game where you can make a name for yourself or your group as a scourge upon the galaxy, and be rewarded for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

At its core, what really makes EVE is that it is a deeply social experience. Reliable friends and knowledgeable mentors make the most daunting challenges manageable. Jealousy, greed, and bitter rivalries create struggle and competition more meaningful than any game designer can script. The ever evolving tapestry of nebulous trust, rank betrayals, and alliances of convenience is one of the richest histories and mythologies in videogames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDVEHE10nHc

In typical "the first hit is always free" fashion, EVE has two tiers of accounts:

Alpha - The free tier
  • Limited selection of ships, modules, and skills, but plenty of opportunities to cause mayhem
  • You gain skill points at a slower rate and can only train skills up to a certain level
  • Although you are not limited on how many accounts you can have, you can only be signed in on one Alpha account at a time

Omega - The paid tier
  • Faster skill training
  • No restrictions on ships, modules, and skills
  • You're able - and sometimes incentivized depending on play style - to run multiple Omega accounts at once

A good number of players do pay for Omega entirely in-game through income-generating activities like ratting, salvaging, industrial production, and even scamming other players.

CCP recently upped the Omega monthly subscription from $15 to $20, though they frequently run specials with steep discounts for longer subscription periods or multi-account discounts.

Accounts can go back and forth between Alpha and Omega status without penalty. Any Omega skills, ships, and modules you possess on your characters are simply locked out until you resubscribe.

What's been added to Eve since the last time you may have played:
  • Outposts were replaced with citadels. There are many different sizes and types, but overall, it's been a great improvement to making nullsec and lowsec space livable.
  • Third-party gambling sites were replaced with the Hypernet. So, you can now legitimately gamble in Eve online inside of the client. There are methods to stacking the deck in your favor, but you can just ignore it. Some people really like it though.
  • Abyssal space. As mentioned before, abyssal space has a chance to drop "mutaplasmids." These little darlings can unpredictably modify regular eve modules in unusual ways. Most of the time it makes your module crap, but sometimes you get some way better than officer level items. These items can be hard to value, but can swing small gang and solo encounters heavily in your favor. Ostensibly it scratches that random loot grind POE/Diablo itch, but in reality, it's after midnight and you wonder where all your billions of ISK went while you stare at a pile of crap modules.
  • Pochven. 27 solar systems serving as a gigantic honeypot for the literal worst human beings logging into this terrible game.
  • Filaments. These little babies can take you and a few close friends yeeting across the galaxy looking for content. Great fun for an evening of jumping across the eve universe looking for dummies to kill and eventually being blobbed to your glorious death. These are a legit good addition to the game that give you that "evening of content" option that Eve has seriously lacked.
  • Black-Ops battleships can now jump other black ops battleships and anything around them with a covert cloak to a covert cyno. This is amazing. You haven't lived until your Panther jumps a bunch of fully-capped neut Redeemers on an enemy cap and you suck it dry, murder it, and cloak before anyone can respond.
  • Marauders are actually good. Yeah, paladins in delve have the biggest of BDE.
  • Supercarriers can fit a module so that people who take a certain long-lasting drug when they are podded they reappear next to the supercarrier in system, where they can hop into a new ship and fly back into the fight. Did I mention supercarriers can be tethered to a citadel while that module is on? Because it can.
  • POS. Yeah, POS are still a thing.
  • Pipe bombing is still a thing. It goes by various names, but a popular one is done with Proteii.

At one point, TheAdj claimed Goonswarm Federation is no longer affiliated with Something Awful:

Good Dumplings posted:

lol and lmao

tag yourself, I'm the part where banned delta posters are "beyond the pale"

What the gently caress happened? Some poo poo. The long and short of it is that Goonswarm Federation and the Imperium proved that both their leadership and membership lagged so far behind the culture of SA in 2022 that the majority loudest publord shitposters think describing someone who was harassed as "wounded bird Amber Heard bitch" is perfectly okay. Some highlights from the previous thread, which should be considered a high-level mind hazard:

Solus posted:

This post is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!

Sending this post was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This thread is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular community... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Tsed posted:

Non-eve friend was asking about the situation. I gave as best a summary of the mess as I could, and:

Check the next post for some corp information to get you started on your ill-advised journey.

Skip to page 8 to fast-forward through some smoothbrain floridaposting.

twigplant fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

SOME NAMES AND PLACES TO GET YOU STARTED

Doomheim [666]: Do the needful. End your suffering.

Amok. [AM0K]: The original recruitment machine. I'm a director there and while we have some folks people don't always love, I and the other directors have no tolerance for stupid loving chuds bitching about "letting alphabet people run your life" etc. We're a little tryhard and we're not set up to hold people's hands through learning eve, so be forewarned. Come say hi on Discord.

Brave Collective [BRAVE]: They're fine. Currently blue to us, dunno for how long.

Goosefleet [GANDR]: The Hole Squad reboot you're looking for. We live in w-space, honk in local, and also accidentally a sov and it turns out the wormhole upgrade for IHUBs is actually kind cool? And a Hole Squad reboot it was, with an implosion and everything! I wish Siobhan well, whatever her sins may or may not have been. She's fuckin cool. Someone down the way said they're still playing and figuring some poo poo out.

Kazinsal posted:

pros: we're not racist/sexist/LGBTQ-phobic
cons: after the leadership shakeup, we're now run by a triumvirate of d-name posters
Anyways, yes, we still exist. No, we didn't RMT. Yes, Reddit was whipping themselves into a frenzy because Elusif couldn't help himself. Yes, we have new leadership. No, CCP did not negwallet the alliance and everyone in it and ban all the directors. And yes, we still massively and aggressively :honk: in local.
GoonWaffe [GEWNS]: The longest continuously extant and largest (in terms of body weight) goon-based EVE corp. They host a highly industrialized "worker's paradise" down in Delve, with large fleets multiple times a day, as well as smaller specialized fleets. You can read more about them in their PGS thread.
⠀⠀⠀⠀Siobhan had reservations about recommending them but they're the gooniest place to get involved with. Atrum's been a good CEO who is quick to :commissar: when people are blathering on about awful poo poo and there is now a formal alliance-level process for handling complaints of harassment and other awful poo poo. There were, in the past, certain abuses of power, but I think they've largely seen themselves out.

The Greater Goon [GROON]: Weird pineapple people in Syndicate or something. Pretty dead, though. Check 'em out on Discord.

Prismatic Legion [PRISM]: I'm not mega-familiar with these folks, but they have been described as "A larger w-space group that is extremely queer, run by queers, and includes queer allies. They're back in w-space, so click this finely crafted link to wormhole.gay"

DM me if you want your goon-adjacent nerd den mentioned here or w/e.

twigplant fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 9, 2023

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Can this game just die already

we're not that lucky. :smithicide:

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Kaysette posted:

Thanks for making a new thread! Let's keep the discussion of goose drama in the old thread Jeffrey reopened.

Sure. Anyone wanna talk about that CCP survey that went out instead? What are everyone's feelings on things like "inclusion" and "not making this game an acid bath experience for women?"

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Jay Derkin posted:

I think actual inclusion is fine. I also think that the modern trend of what is considered "inclusion" to be toxic as poo poo.

What's the difference between actual inclusion and modern "inclusion?"

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Jay Derkin posted:

I would consider actual inclusion to be leaving everyone the gently caress alone and letting them live the way they want to. This recent trend of "You disagree with X small thing means you're a bigot and we hate you" is just ludicrous.

But that's how you figure out who the bigots are. You find out if they hold bigoted opinions.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Dieting Hippo posted:

what's an example of the X in this equation?

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

hailthefish posted:

you. poster. who's being included in a toxic way?

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Jay Derkin posted:

Ah, the "what does this have to do with being too inclusive", that's precisely what I'm getting at. To be called a bigot over my view of the FL poo poo is something that makes no sense to me, that does not mean I hate anyone, or even hold negative views of anyone. I've been told that my view on that topic is harmful to LGBTQ people and pushes them out of the equation. I fail to see how that is in any way harmful to their community or even affects it. Like at all. If that is what people view as "inclusion" then it is very much outside of what I've ever considered the word to mean.

Jay Derkin posted:

The X I was referring to would be the state of Floridas ban on teaching about sex to kids below third grade in a school setting. That sounds reasonable to me and I got some major backlash on that one.

It's a much broader ban than that fwiw. It's a ban on any mention of gender identity or sexual orientation.

quote:

Florida education officials voted on Wednesday to prohibit any classroom instruction on gender identity and sexual orientation in all of the state's public schools. The amended rule extends the current pre-K to third-grade curriculum restrictions through high school, with a few exceptions

That's a bunch of Shakespeare gone. Can't talk about Matthew Shepherd. It doesn't really specify gay, so I guess you can't mention that marriage should be between a man and a woman either, or heterosexual relationships. Saying "I'm married" would run afoul of this as well. They wrote it deliberately vague, but the boards involved are gonna be like "Well of course you can mention 'boys' and 'girls,' not doing that would be ridiculous" and "Well if course the male teacher can mention his marriage to a woman. But the other male teacher who's mentioned his marriage to a man, that's mentioning sexual orientation." The nebulous nature of the law put into place was on purpose; it's not some bug. They want to be able to enforce it selectively. Is any of this clicking?

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Thanks for fielding the serious talk twig, as a broader member of the LGBQTIA+ community my first reaction is to make fun of this guy for being obtuse and stupid.

i regret it already. my first instinct is always like "ok but just explain it to them in smaller words" but then i remember how utterly exhausting it is to attempt to explain these things to people who are committed to never understanding.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Fajita Queen posted:

New thread's off to a great start

it has been 0 pages since the last chud derailment

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Jay Derkin posted:

The whole point of the law is to completely remove sexuality and personal matters from K-3 education. I see zero reason that it won't be followed by straight teachers. If I was an LGBT parent and got word that a straight teacher was ignoring the law that an LGBT teacher was expected to follow I would raise hell until that teacher faced consequences, and rightfully so.

it's been expanded through high school. what's the justification for that?

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Jay Derkin posted:

Yikes if it's been expanded through high school that's beyond hosed and I have a major problem with that.

oh my god i literally like don't even read the news on purpose and i still knew that somehow. why are you arguing about poo poo you're not keeping up with? nvm i know the answer to this

twigplant fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 31, 2023

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Jay Derkin posted:

If people disagree with the law at is core being enforced fairly at face value then fair game, but to just sit back and assume its being unfairly enforced seems to be blind assumption at best. The internet exists, if violations are happening make it well known and demand meaningful change. If it's found to be generally unfairly enforced then repeal that poo poo. As far as I'm concerned if fairly enforced its reasonable legislation, if it is actually provably being unfairly enforced then repeal that poo poo as its nothing but harmful.

there is a 0% chance it'll be fairly enforced. hth. what're you doing here?

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

"drat obvious bait time to engage for ten pages" - goons, unfailingly

:justpost:

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Mekchu posted:

mintchip was not bad at all and everyone freaking out over her then and later on are insane

i want to say there was an eve group for girls only, but i can't remember the name of it off hand. think it may have been a slack channel on one of the player ran slack groups or whatever theyre called

There's a new(er) eve girls discord called Waifus with Knifus and it's great. Lots of support and good bullshitting across party lines. I'm @calanthe in discord if any :females: would like an invite. There used to be an in-game channel called Women Gamers of Eve but that's long dead, and the gal who ran it was uh... sure was somethin. Siresnswarm still technically exists but it's very sleepy. Mirana's mostly afk and I'm in sig-l but I'm also not really doing anything with it.

Jay Derkin posted:

I've not actually seen any woman hate first hand over the years I've played EVE. Though that time has been almost entirely in GSF where that poo poo isn't tolerated, so it may skew my overall view of the game.

I know you're banned now (rip lololol) but like.. No poo poo. You're not the target audience here, are you? Think this through. Imagine if I, a white lady in the American Southwest, said that I haven't see any racism against Black people over the years I've lived here. A) I'm not the target audience, B) the Black population in my entire state is like 3%, and C) my experience is not universal. Just because I don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't an issue. It's just not an issue for me, and "gently caress you, got mine" is a terrible MO in general. :argh:

Also, to the point that CCP doesn't do much about harassment, I have a friend who was getting loving vile messages very very frequently in-game. Dude thought he was being slick bc as soon as she'd block him, he'd just spin up a new account. She said that she reported him for a while but nothing was done so she dropped it for a loooong time. She reported him again this year with allll the receipts of like idk dozens of messages and CCP like hellbanned him and she hasn't gotten a message since. So sometimes thing are done, but CCP can for sure do better.

twigplant fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 31, 2023

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

We must imagine sysiphus playing a better game

ngl i mostly play rimworld while chasing my toddler around.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

sometimes eve is a little pleasant. i am glad you had a pleasant interaction and made a new friend.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

floppyspud posted:

Its always just a few bad apples, they just tend to naturally congregate and make it look worse than it really is.

and as we all know, the saying is "a few bad apples and there's nothing to worry about, the rest are fine probably"

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Elukka posted:

Honestly most people I meet and talk to aren't toxic at all. Your mileage may vary, my experience is mostly small gang stuff in null and elsewhere.

you must not know these guys (idk how to spoiler images so someone tell me if there's a better way)

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

i'm actually not sure bc i didn't see the initial SLOW leak. there's lots of stuff in this one about telling trans people to offline themselves in various ways, lots of discussion about how drag queens and gays are pedos, a few mentions of final solutioning gays, a hilarious amount of lionizing tucker carlson lol.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Elukka posted:

Sure, or any of a large number of groups that aren't huge blocs or horrible people.

lol. uhhh let us know how that works out i guess.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

i did something i thought was funny yesterday. my husband recently got unbanned and started playing again, so some of his friends also started playing again or moved to be nearer to whatever he's doing because he does stupid poo poo. they're living in saranen rn, and one of his buddies had some caps and other assets sitting in molden heath, but they were just gonna leave 'em because it would be annoying to move at best. but lo! what's this? a wormhole from saranen to a system in moldy heath that's in jump range of the caps? that's big enough for caps?! oh boy! so we scoot out there hoping that the exit system is going to be empty, but it's not. it is very not empty, and there's like 200 dudes in there. we're like aw gently caress. so we start scanning and realize that there's literally an ongoing fight and they have caps on the field already, sooo... are they really gonna notice another cyno? 20 guys would be a problem because there were like three of us, but 200 guys is surprisingly less of a problem if they're already in a slapfight or whatever.

we crossed our fat little fingers and i went to the NPC station and lit a cyno. our caps jumped to me, aligned out to nowhere, and warped off and left through the wormhole. it collapsed behind me by divine providence once my cyno was down. :sun:

i just hope that whatever lowsec dorks were fighting had a guy going "um guys, there's a new cyno. it's a goon cyno. :stonk:" and clenched their little butts.

twigplant fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 23, 2023

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

hi hello kayesette can we rename to thread to EVE 2023: It has been 0 weeks since last goonfucking? tia

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

So basically, "We hosed up on the the ban side but come be an adult and we can probably sort things out amicably?"

I'm not in Delta, btw. I'm really just trying to see if the leadership culture actually changed for the better. I hadn't realized our organization was willing to ignore that kind of behavior. I don't expect my video games to be free of drama or all lilies and sunshine, but I want to know: is it better, or at least getting better?

Thanks for the direct answers so far everyone.

I think it's getting better. There's a much more significant investment of time and energy on the part of the alliance into at least looking into issues and determining if something's a Big Fuckin Deal, or if someone needs to have a little Come to Jesus chat, or if someone needs to be :commissar:ed.

For instance, I received this message from this Identity England shitbird after once again calling him out for being a horrible loving transphobe in Theta's discord, and I got same-day turnaround on my Beekeeper ticket and his services were revoked and he was out of the alliance in short order. A+ service, would complain again. (This guy knew that my husband is British and that we travel to the UK often to see family.)

Discord and CCP declined to take action, afaik, but the alliance was on it. I hope more people have had similar outcomes to really blatant shitassery but it's kinda hard to learn about bc we just don't talk about this stuff super often, and Beekeepers by nature aren't going to share success stories.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

I WAS CONVENIENTLY LEFT OUT OF THIS SCREENSHOT but yeah i've been making this point for a long-rear end time. all this loving crowing about how OrGaNiZeD goons are in eve and like... that wasn't an area they wanted to champion lmao.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Fajita Queen posted:

Is Brisc still a standing member of The Imperium? Because if so, and you're still in it after what he's posting on reddit right now, gently caress you.

there are a great many idiot kings on their idiot hills in the imperium and i am not gonna quit each time one of them says something dumb lol esp if they're literally just a line member who is incredibly up their own rear end. i have heard through the grape vine that asher ws not in fact particularly stoked about this appearance of mittani on the meta show and that a number of other alliance/corp directors are similarly unstoked and while i trust the source of this information i haven't seen like logs or anything. that's enough for me. if mittani returns, i'm out, but he and his buddies have been swearing up and down for over a year that he's not interested in doing so. tbd i guess but i think the chances are slim.

i also learned from that thread that brisc has me blocked on reddit :sparkles:

twigplant fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 19, 2023

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

He’s literally a republican politician which means he’s definitely carried water for rapists and child molesters in the past.

are failed mayoral candidates really politicians though? :thunk:

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

ChatGPT was a mistake

a summer child if i ever saw one :allears:

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Drone posted:

Man this just reads up like straight-up apologia for associating with certain types of people

If you wanna win the game, you gotta be buds with problematic folks

have you ever tried to shift the culture of a large organization comprised of egotistical, self-absorbed baby men? how long did it take you?

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

it was all done on discord, and I immediately removed him and binned the convo. The longer answer is "I asked around and people who are on the blacklist stay on the blacklist forever, and the answer to getting off the blacklist is to not get put on it in the first place".

weird. i got my husband off the blacklist like a month ago.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

yeah but your hubs also wasn't a "dangerous schismatic" from Delta, i don't think.

yeah i think it was for some market poo poo. but someone else said that shane wasn't a delta casualty either. wonder what he did!

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

they have uh, um, a successful saturday night gatecamping/fuckaround fleet. and a guy with a twitch show. that's somethin'.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Greg Haza posted:

Well said. I actively look for lovely behaviour in my role as sig-l of Theta and it just isn't there. Anything that comes close is dealt with quickly and efficiently.

Lol come on. While Theta's better than it was even just two years ago and certainly light years better than ~the old days~, tolerating people like Whale Sex and Bratac and anyone else who used to chime in on the "drag queens are pedophiles, transgender is a mental illness" discussions in the politics/news channel in Theta Discord - probably Not An Arsonist and Juan Zezole and some others - isn't really indicative of the behavior not being there. It's there. You, Ragnar, and Dawn (and Magnuum? there's someone else) actively choose to not do anything about it. You guys didn't even ban Bratac after he made that pants-on-head threat against me and my kid iirc - Dawn just shuttered the politics channel and dusted her hands of it. Allowing Onebeloo back around is also actively choosing to look the other way.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Greg Haza posted:

We're allowing you there with some unpopular/bad-take opinions on things too, actively looking the other way.
Culture and societies evolve with the culture and the society as a whole. Please don't pretend to be the singular moral compass of a community when you have probably said/done much worse than a good portion of that community.

Lol. "Well you probably do it too!" No, dude, I don't. If you can point to any instances where I've said anything that's anywhere approaching the poo poo I complain about wrt Theta, I'm eager to hear it.

But you're right - I am not the arbiter of manners, good taste, nor morality. I just happen to be on the side that's not interested in kicking people when they're already down and not being a fuckin giant dick for no reason. You usually are too - very confused by this discussion!

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

You know, these forums and internet space ship guilds are by definition as close to free association communities as you can get.

I know I'm continuing to beat the proverbial dead horse here, but if anyone has such strong feelings about other people in this thread, on the forums, or in internet pixel space ships they feel a need to continuously hate and rage post, then maybe step the gently caress away for a while and go do something you actually enjoy with people you actually like?

I think the real problem may be that for some of the people doing the hate/rage posting, this is their definition of doing something they enjoy with people they like.

i know i'm continuing to beat on the guy who's beating the proverbial dead horse here, but if you have such strong feelings about other people in this thread, on the forums, or in internet pixel space ships you feel a need to give us sermons about our posting, then maybe step the gently caress away for a little while and go do something you actually enjoy with people you actually like?

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

I am going to tell you about some FUN EVE ONLINE ADVENTURES I had in EVE ONLINE tonight!

We, Amok., are hanging out in Pochven shooting people. It's a nice time. On day one (yesterday!) of our triangle adventures, we had a run-in with a blue triangle-themed squad, which was fun but is an ongoing investigation and I couldn't possibly comment on how incredibly loving stupid it is. Anyway. Today, we have created another diplomatic incident, it seems.

Oh no! This goes on for a while.

And on.

No standings to FishDicks, Jerry!

We were having a good laugh in Discord about it and I was like oh my loving god he's never gonna shut up? What's gonna make this dude go away? Ah, yes. Tell him to evemail Atrum. Atrum loves getting evemailed about anything at all.

And lo! about half an hour later, I hear Atrum go "God dammit" in Mumble.

So, naturally, Atrum responds to the evemail.

twigplant fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 6, 2023

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

large billiam still representing in... r/worldnews???

thanks bill. recruitment is suffering and this will surely be a boon unto our numbers.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

we cannot forget all the brave souls that shift click drag shift click drag ctrl click shift click tab tab click shift click alt tab click click click scroll scroll scrollllllllllllllll click click scroooooollll scroll scroll [hull alarm] ALT TAB CLICK CLICK CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLCICKCLICKCLICKCLCIKCLCICKC [long pause] "god dammit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

It's to screen out people who use eve mails.

there's kind of a hilariously nonzero amount of people who get rejected from GSF corps for saying insanely racist poo poo in their evemails.