Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I think Sisi was taken down well before the gate stuff? They didn't explain why, just that it would come back up, with no particular schedule, and now decided it won't come back up and will only be used for specific testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The other day I thought I was station camped in Poch, docked back up and bemoaned my lot in local, saying I needed to join my friends to hunt some Frat, and then the guy outside the station wanted to join us instead, and we went roaming together.

Fraternity brings people together.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Honestly most people I meet and talk to aren't toxic at all. Your mileage may vary, my experience is mostly small gang stuff in null and elsewhere.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

twigplant posted:

you must not know these guys (idk how to spoiler images so someone tell me if there's a better way)
Well, yeah, I was talking about my experience. I interact with my own little group where any hypothetical chuds would get booted very quickly, along with whoever I run into in game. I'm not saying the game doesn't have people who suck.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
So I've come into possession of a couple abyssal ballistic control systems thanks to a rail Naga and a mobile tractor unit. How do I figure out what these are worth? I looked at mutaplasmid.space but I'm unsure if that's looking at historical contracts that have sold or simply ones that have been put up.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Eve reddit is just the main public forum for Eve at this point. It's not any faction's forum nor some kind of unified group.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It has gone up, but not by that much. One plex is about 5 million.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I joined SA because I was disillusioned with another forum and my friend kept prodding me to join SA and I was like eeh I dunno until he just bought me an account.

Re: abysses, they're the only form of PVE where I've had cool moments happen. I was doing a T6 in frigates with a couple of friends. A Karybdis alphaed me off the field completely unexpectedly at the moment my orbit on another target had zero angular on it. The two of us that remained scrambled to finish the room as quick as possible, managed to kill the Karybdis and get out with less than a minute to spare.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If you're tired of giant nullbloc problems an excellent solution is to not play in a giant nullbloc. The thread often makes it sound like that's the only way to play. If you put thousands of people together there's always gonna be some level of poo poo involved, and as long as it's not too heinous you just kinda gotta ignore it or be permanently annoyed. It's a giant organization with all the giant organization problems companies etc. have but in a video game and you can just choose not to deal with that in your video game.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Sure, or any of a large number of groups that aren't huge blocs or horrible people.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I've got my own where we invite people on the basis of whether they'd seem enjoyable to spend time with. You can make one if you've got some friends to play with, but, yeah, public groups are hit and miss due to their public nature. I don't think every group but geese is chuds though.

vvv
It's working out fine! I recognize though that finding people to play with is pretty much down to luck. I've had times when I wanted to play Eve but nobody I know did.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 17, 2023

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Sickening posted:

Its not the fault of the orgs that allow shitters, its the fault of you, you need to get better at not finding orgs with shitters.
No it's the fault of organizations that allow shitters. I'm just saying ones that don't exist and aren't some kind of unheard of rarity.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Do you really need specific proof that everyone in Eve isn't a bigot or tolerant of them? People aren't universally horrible. Public groups that don't police this will eventually get bigots. If I was looking for one, I'd see if they have any stated rules on this, and if not, ask around. But the answer for me is to play with people I know. I don't have a bigot problem in my group because I don't invite bigots in and if one snuck in somehow they'd get the boot. I really don't believe I'm unique in this.

e: Actually, by coincidence, I ran into this recruitment post from Immortalis which says straight up:

quote:

We pride ourselves on being a friendly and inclusive group despite our -10 status and so will not tolerate prejudice or racism and expect our members to adhere to this and most importantly always keep their word.

I don't know what this group is like from the inside since I haven't been there - but if I was about to join one, I'd look for something like this.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 17, 2023

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Like I said, I play with people I know. I named my own group, as well as a public group with a stated policy. I don't have hands on experience with the latter because I play games with people I actually like.

You're the one making an exceptional claim here. What you're asking me to prove is kind of the obvious truth? Are you claiming decent people who don't tolerate bigotry, or for that matter minorities who are discriminated against essentially don't actually exist in Eve, or are all somehow in your group? Because that's what it would take for it to be true for decent groups to be vanishingly rare.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Maybe. But I think it's probably easier to find good smaller groups than it is large nullblocs just because they don't face all the social problems of a large corporation and my original point is that the vibe I often get from Eve goons is that large nullblocs are the only way to play.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Reactive hardeners seem kinda really good against missiles since they're all a single damage type. I've never really appreciated this before. Like double the ehp/s vs. missiles than say lasers.

Unless you're galaxy brain enough to rainbow your missiles.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
On a lark I went to Frat staging in a Retribution. I sat on a bubble for about an hour.

They just kept driving into this. It was bizarre. Zero communication. They had ships in dscan range of this, a dozen of them saw me on grid, I even advertised my presence on local to see if someone would come get me.

Eventually they did come to get me. And their initial tackle was a Muninn which either didn't have tackle or forgot to use it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Small achievement: I had my first successful one vs. many fight. I was in a Gnosis, took a sorta obvious bait Retribution, and two more Retributions came in. Two died and one fled. I did a bunch of mistakes but they did more.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Ulesi posted:

How bad were the shakes afterwards lol
Heart rate was up a bit and I was pretty stoked but I was in a ship I was expecting to lose taking a bait on purpose and I was also kinda really tired so it was more like 'Huh? That happened?'.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Banks were very funny today. A Kronos and Vargur come in. This other guy brings in an Armageddon, dies, brings in a Navy Raven, dies, and finally brings in a Navy Vexor and dies. The Kronos and Vargur accomplish nothing. They finally bring in four more Vargurs and we leave.
https://zkillboard.com/related/30000653/202309281500/

Then we get a taste of the PH standing fleet. The report is a bit confused, I don't know why the Aeon and CRAB beacon are there.
https://zkillboard.com/related/30005160/202309281700/

This was so confusing. The battle report doesn't show nearly everything. They had a lot of people, but no coordination at all. We get the usual marauder and other stuff, but the cruisers and BCs that show pretty much all land, decide gently caress this, and try to leave. We had a Vedmak specifically to fight fast cruisers trying to push us, but they just... didn't. If they had they'd have easily forced us off. They weren't up to doing this, and also evidently didn't tell the next people coming in what they'd be facing. Eventually an Ishtar does the only clever thing here, drops a bunch of sentries and dips out, forcing me to warp off. At this point they're bringing in even more people including two Celestises so we'd have had to leave anyway.

e: They had 12 people in that second one, counting the ones that actually came in.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 28, 2023

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It's unnatural for a bank ship to survive long enough to accrue killmarks.

im a pvp now

Also I saw a forums goon in a Delve rob but I missed saying hi.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It's a Naga.

Cloak stabilization prevents you from being decloaked by the Mobile Observatory structure. It sents out pings intermittently that have a chance to decloak ships in system. Apparently it's every 10 minutes and it has a 40% chance to declaok a ship that's out of cloak stabilization. They're basically a counter to AFK cloakies. You see them on overview globally just like cynos and they take a good while to actually decloak you. They also can't be scooped back up so it's about 70 mil a pop to try it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Honestly he probably can? Nobody's going to be dropping 70 mil and spending an hour trying to decloak every invisible neutral. I've never actually seen an observatory in reality.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Google translating local in Frat staging is very funny. We were there in a couple of frigates.

Frat posted:

> Two small boats killed many of us.

> The first time I came here to deliver goods, I was blown away~@@

> Isn't it usually safe here?

> +8 time zone is relatively safe. At this time, there are fewer Chinese and more hostility.

> I mean are there so many pirates?

This one guy kept talking about how there are so many pirates and someone needs to go kill them. The two of us were the only neutrals in system.

I got a hauler that was carrying an Ishtar. I didn't even know that would fit. It didn't drop, sadly. I would have been so confused if an Ishtar just appeared on grid that I'd probably have started shooting at it.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 2, 2023

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If you're in kitey nano frigates maybe don't repeatedly drive them into scram range of the slowest battlecruiser in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhXvN4sjGaQ

also maybe take your drugs idk I was tired as hell

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Help I'm clueless about bombs.

Let's say I have the ability to summon about ten cruisers, including HACs and recons, into one very specific spot. I wanted to look into whether it would be worthwhile to bomb them. If Pyfa numbers are right, my conclusion is no, because it looks like one bomber does barely over 2k damage on a cruiser, so you'd need a dozen or two to do much. Am I right and bombs just aren't worth it on this scale?

Also trying to think of other funny things to do to those cruisers. A void bomb could mostly neut them out, but I'm gonna assume most of them have cap boosters.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Oh yeah I didn't think of MWDs, that would probably change things.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
By being hard to hit with void bombs, do you mean they have imperfect application or the cruisers just tend to move out of the way? I'm looking to hit a small fleet dropping in the same spot on a bubble and engaging something there (like assault frigates with ADC that the bombs should do roughly nothing against). But we could only get maybe 2-3 bombers at most so I'm not sure the damage is worth it.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the number you can have in a run depends on the level of cov ops the pilots doing the run have trained
I thought the bomb launcher only launched one and then reloads for ages?

Elukka fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 4, 2023

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

you can, but that requires enough bomber pilots for multiple waves, plus enough pilots doing something that keeps the enemy engaged and on the grid long enough for you to line up the other run(s). i get the sense from elukka's post that they're running a relatively small operation with a few folks havin fun as opposed to having bloc-level fleet numbers at their disposal
Yeah I was thinking of like a few people and a few times more people dropping in our bubble and whether they'd be worth bombing. Like 1-2 bombers and 1-2 other ships. Doesn't seem like the numbers work out and we'd be better off with just regular ships.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The answer is to only fly ships the logo looks good on.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Those are transferrable so you can just buy them. They cost basically nothing.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I love my dumb XLASB Gnosis. I once again bubbled a gate in Frat staging. First this guy who lost a Jackdaw to me came back in a Cerberus with a buddy in a bomber. I just killed the Cerb and drove the bomber away. A bit later they decide I need to go I guess and a Praxis drops into my bubble, which is obvious bait for whatever comes next but I take it in case something dumb happens. As soon as I do, four Coraxes show in at 40 to lob missiles at me and a Svipul comes in to tackle me. I'm running out of tank, I think I'm dying, but the Praxis pops. The destroyers are dropping me deep into armor, but this has taken long enough that one of my XLASB reloads comes in clutch. From there I'm able to kill the Svipul and given I can't really touch the Coraxes, just leave.

Then I realize I should go back in case there's any good loot, find the Coraxes looting the field along with a t1 logi, and drive those off before they get anything. :v:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

DerekSmartymans posted:

lol that’s awesome. I’m usually on the other side of “getting scrammed, webbed, then neuted and killed,” so it’s nice to read about things I don’t have the irl skillz to do. I’ve gotten good at running/dodging gatecamps with perches and/or cloak/mwd trickses, but if I get caught I panic and start button mashing like a Mortal Kombat reject. If you ever record some of these, I’d love a link to watch and maybe pick up a pointer or three!
I only really started doing pvp stuff properly a few months back. It's been fun to learn but I'm definitely not amazing at it. All of these fights are like, wait, huh, that's how that goes? I actually should have a clip of that one, I'll see about uploading it somewhere. This camp wasn't a surprise for any of them since they came to fight me anyway.

If you ever wanna join in on some small scale stuff lemme know. Doesn't matter what corp you're in or whatever (though I guess if half the universe is blue to you we gotta watch who we shoot), and we go from Jita.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I dunno I had the impression people in alliances care about that sort of thing.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I wanted to drive an alt in a DST into Frat staging for replacement ships at some point since I'm spending quite a lot of time there, but you can't share mobile depots, nor jettison them into space to be picked up, so there'd be no way to fit them. :negative:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

floppyspud posted:

4-H is only a couple jumps from cal lowsec, or you could do it in venal. You’re making it much harder for yourself doing it in vale lol.
I like 4-H though because there are lots of people and they do silly things. You can just put up a bubble and content comes to you. I've never had nothing happen.

It's not exactly a couple of jumps. The shortest route is 10, but that's often camped, and the less campy route is 18.

angry armadillo posted:

Can there be multiple depots in the fleet hanger of your DST (not sure what you are doing, but if you have enough for people to warp to you and help themselves?)
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that. That should work! Drop the ship, pilot in a capsule gets into ship, grabs a mobile depot and fittings from the DST and fits it.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 20, 2023

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm looking at a Frat Proteus, pondering if it's a solo boat or a cyno for a blops gang. An interestingly long name: 蓝光一闪,千军万马来相见. I wonder what that means. A quick Google translate:
A flash of blue light, thousands of troops came to meet each other
Well that clears that up.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

floppyspud posted:

I would trust a blockade runner anywhere, except maybe those huge camps in tama. But that’s what gatecheck is for!
Yeah, you gotta watch for those ultra-dedicated campers. Might have enough stuff around the gate to decloak you, but even if they don't, some of them will use instalocking ships and manipulate the server update order to catch cloakies.

Besides notable systems like Tama and Ahbazon there's a guy in Aridia who has been doing this nearly every day for years. People get caught out by it because it's not that busy of a route that you'd think it'd be worthwhile.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Flying a reactive assault frigate is so weird. I have no idea what I can take.

Sabre: Melts me.
Flycatcher. Tickles me.
Svipul: Melts me.
Hecate: I had to use half my active tank.

I think it's down to single vs. multiple damage types as well as natural base resists. I think no missile ship firing kinetics can break a reactive dual rep Ishkur, but something firing explosive will do it easily even if the reactive is fully adapted. I'm still really surprised the Hecate performed so badly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

psilocybin laden posted:

I wonder if they were arty or auto cannon, if it's arty they may be just doing too much damage for the adaptive to respond in time plus a hole in your resists? but idk

it's really strange the hecate did so poorly - was it shooting into your resist profile? maybe it wasn't applying or something due to lack of web
It was autos, and explosive is my weakest resist despite a rig, so I think it was just that. The Hecate did seem to apply, judging from the log, and Pyfa says it should apply like 90% of its dps even though I'm AB. It should do a bit more than I can tank fully adapted but it felt like it did about half that in practice. I don't do all that much dps but maybe I forced it into defensive mode? Dunno.

Another thing I'm surprised by: Torpedo bombers are actually very worthwhile in microgangs of 2-3 and will even apply pretty well on destroyers if you get them webbed and scrammed. Also it's extremely funny to watch a ratting Ishtar with 0% of the relevant resists just evaporate. I always thought of bombers as something for bigger gangs but just a tackler + bomber is a comp that works.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 27, 2023