Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

HopperUK posted:

Great now I'm thinking about the scale of the universe and I have to go to work in a minute

When you shuffle a deck of cards you’ve created a pattern never created before.

There are more options (8 followed by 67 zeros) than atoms on earth.

Sleep well!

Also, for Fairytale of New York, just sing “you scumbag you maggot, you’re cheap and you’re haggard”, as that’s what Kirsty herself sang live after being educated on how problematic the original lyrics were.

343 is far fewer than the number of different shuffles possible with a pack of 52 cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

Also, for Fairytale of New York, just sing “you scumbag you maggot, you’re cheap and you’re haggard”, as that’s what Kirsty herself sang live after being educated on how problematic the original lyrics were.

It's also true to the definitive version (i.e. Ronan Keating's)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

rip

All I remember about him is his eyebrows

They are memorable eyebrows to be fair.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

70 years is a pretty good run for a Thunderbirds puppet

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

RIP Darling, you tied the UK economy to the US Housing Market and when that collapsed you ushered in austerity that destroyed lives and left the country in the poo poo shape it's in.

This is it, this is Darling's legacy. Absolutely shagged the economy, & ushered in a decade & a half of policy that's basically meant that while "the economy" has recovered, it really hasn't for most plebians. Truly a great Labour man.

Oh, & of course being an absolute oval office in the indy ref. Can never forgive that.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Inquest into Ruth Perry's death. She was the head teacher who committed suicide following an Ofsted inspection.
Lead inspector was Alan Derry (in case you read it & the Perry/Derry start to confuse!).

My bolding. Wonder if the Ofsted inspector had a job lined up with a potential academy (pure speculation by moi)?

source: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/nov/29/ruth-perry-told-husband-lead-ofsted-inspector-was-bully-inquest

I find this whole thing shocking. I know teachers who have been traumatised by Ofsted inspections and the demands made upon them.
The whole cavalier approach by this Derry guy and his so called "good understanding of mental health" is {fill me in a word, my brain's gone awol}

Why anyone would want to be a teacher in the atmosphere of hatred & contempt that the press in particular encourage their readers to display ("long holidays" anyone? "if you can you do if you can't you teach") & to earn a fraction of what other professionals earn (eg financial adviser / lawyer etc £200 per hour).

(Yes I know we had a long thread regarding schools a week or so back, and I'm not hoping to reignite that!)

I know at least 2 HMIs who only got the job because they were banging an inspector who was inspecting their school at the time. They were loving awful teachers and now they're in charge of assessing others!

The whole organisation is corrupt as gently caress - hard to prove but they, at least in my experience (teacher for near a decade now) they definitely go in looking for reasons to get LA schools into MATs. OFSTED delenda est.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Oh, & of course being an absolute oval office in the indy ref. Can never forgive that.

https://twitter.com/hum_dunkin/status/1730208638898160029?t=K-MGp9-_CLw5ea5R-tjRgg&s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

haakman posted:

I know at least 2 HMIs who only got the job because they were banging an inspector who was inspecting their school at the time.

Like, one after the other?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

DreddyMatt posted:

RIP Shane MacGowan
Saw the Irish cocktail chat and died

Do we have a status update on Shane MacGowan's teeth?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

When you shuffle a deck of cards you’ve created a pattern never created before.

There are more options (8 followed by 67 zeros) than atoms on earth.

Sleep well!

OwlFancier posted:

They are memorable eyebrows to be fair.
Domestic dogs are the only Caninae with eyebrow muscles. Dogs doing that thing with their eyebrows are an aspect of human communication. You are now searching for images of dogs doing that thing with their eyebrows.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Domestic dogs are the only Caninae with eyebrow muscles. Dogs doing that thing with their eyebrows are an aspect of human communication. You are now searching for images of dogs doing that thing with their eyebrows.

But can they look up?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OK who got hold of the monkey's paw and asked it to make double sure LadBaby had no chance of another xmas number 1

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But can they look up?
Yes. Good dogs use sci hub to bypass institutional gatekeeping.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah poo poo I missed the "Irish Carbomb" discourse. I remember an Amerigoon joking about someone being dumb enough to say that on holiday in Ireland.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Oi mate just went in an Irish pub, ordered a car bomb and two black and tans, then everybody started throwing a paddy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah that's why Duffy's keeps those funny flat sticks behind the bar.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It sounds pretty grim honestly.

"The whiskey is layered over the Irish cream in a shot glass, and the shot glass is then dropped into a glass of stout. The drink should be consumed quickly as the alcohol will cause the cream to curdle within a short time."

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

About a decade ago I got to see the Pogues at the Brixton Academy where they closed the show with Fairytale of New York, and I vividly remember Shane McGowan dancing with the other vocalist on stage. Sucks I'll never be able to experience that again, but he lived a life and left a legacy of some of the best songs I've ever heard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jippa posted:

It sounds pretty grim honestly.

"The whiskey is layered over the Irish cream in a shot glass, and the shot glass is then dropped into a glass of stout. The drink should be consumed quickly as the alcohol will cause the cream to curdle within a short time."

There are a number of cocktails which utilize the curdling effect of acidity on irish cream. The cement mixer is just baileys and I think lime juice, so called because the result resembles one. I think they're supposed to be horrible.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I saw something in Home Bargains today that looks horrible:
Christmas Pudding flavour crisps! I did not try. I cannot even imagine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

which flavour d’you think they centre around for the powder coating. raisin? general brown?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I got some sparkly LED lights from Quality Discounts to go blink blink in my windows for the first time, due to

smellmycheese posted:

Pearson is on a roll

I may have been played by the most miserable people in existence but don't really care, I've set them to moral decline mode.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

"Sorry, there's no life left."

e: gently caress, that was Liam Byrne

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 30, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

Every year I fervently remind my audience of no followers that 'you cheap lousy braggart' rhymes, scans and fits thematically. Putting it here so it's not just old-man-shouts-at-bots.tweet

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

There are a number of cocktails which utilize the curdling effect of acidity on irish cream. The cement mixer is just baileys and I think lime juice, so called because the result resembles one. I think they're supposed to be horrible.

Can confirm, I try and get them as a special gift on all birthday nights out. It’s remarkable how accurate the name is.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Christmas is a perfect period for weird stuff like that. M&S for instance put out their maple bacon flavoured crisps around this time too. No idea what they're like, they sound too weird and M&S are too expensive so I've never tried.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It should be a rule for UKMT, that if you see a bag of crisps with a weird flavour, you HAVE to get and try them.
We need to know what they are like.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gorn Myson posted:

Christmas is a perfect period for weird stuff like that. M&S for instance put out their maple bacon flavoured crisps around this time too. No idea what they're like, they sound too weird and M&S are too expensive so I've never tried.

i think it's okay to shoplift them if you're just trying them

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

It should be a rule for UKMT, that if you see a bag of crisps with a weird flavour, you HAVE to get and try them.

If you’re over here for Xmas I can highly recommend these

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Ah poo poo I missed the "Irish Carbomb" discourse. I remember an Amerigoon joking about someone being dumb enough to say that on holiday in Ireland.

Someone in my group of tourists mentioned the Car Bomb while we were practicing pulling pints at the Guinness brewery in Dublin, which was especially awkward.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Someone in my group of tourists mentioned the Car Bomb while we were practicing pulling pints at the Guinness brewery in Dublin, which was especially awkward.

Just tell them we call it a Timothy McVeigh over here. :kiddo:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Big Tim's Man And Van Service

Comin over here, down my chimney :argh:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gorn Myson posted:

I think I have had maple bacon flavoured crisps before. From my memory, they were.....good.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Too late now.
I have diabetic clinic next week so have 5 days to correct 3 months of binging on sugary carby stuff. If my number doesn't go down they're going to send me to reeducation camp. I said "I know what I'm supposed to do, it's doing it that's the hard part". Hopefully when I cut my working hours down from January I'll be a lot less stressed and not have to use food as a tranquilizer.
Maybe someone else lives near a Home Bargains (or maybe they're in other stores, I think they were Walkers, maybe Gary Wokener can give them a go?)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Won't that just be full of notes saying "Wokes are cancelling Christmas" "You can't even say Merry Christmas these days" etc?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Too late now.
I have diabetic clinic next week so have 5 days to correct 3 months of binging on sugary carby stuff. If my number doesn't go down they're going to send me to reeducation camp. I said "I know what I'm supposed to do, it's doing it that's the hard part". Hopefully when I cut my working hours down from January I'll be a lot less stressed and not have to use food as a tranquilizer.
Maybe someone else lives near a Home Bargains (or maybe they're in other stores, I think they were Walkers, maybe Gary Wokener can give them a go?)

Honestly you seem like you'd be a good candidate for semaglutide but I imagine the NHS isnt much interested in prescribing

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Honestly you seem like you'd be a good candidate for semaglutide but I imagine the NHS isnt much interested in prescribing

I don't know. I'm not sure I like the side effects of that "The most common side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and constipation." Have to see - not sure how Wales compares to England on prescribing that - I'd rather not take meds though. When I put my mind to it and am relatively low-stress, I can lose a lot of weight, but as soon as I get stressed, wham.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

happyhippy posted:

I had some Morrisons ridge cut doner kebab flavoured crisps not too long ago

they were loving disgusting, as in actually throw them away disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You would think that would be an easy flavour to get right, savoury and vaguely spiced?