Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Meeting goons chat:

Does the phrase "has your house got stairs" just relate to this thread or is it generally applicable?
A foreign friend used a phrase on fb in a comment to me (not the stairs one) that is strongly suggestive that he might lurk (or even post!) in the CSPAM thread.
May be a coincidence, just seems odd that a foreign person would have picked that highly specialized particular phrase out of nowhere.

Originates here

Content warning : Lowtax

https://www.somethingawful.com/icq-pranks/icq-transcript-space/1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Scottish independence polling still stubbornly seems to remain at 52% in support of the UK. Opinions are pretty entrenched.

On the plus side independence has a massive majority with under 50s, so we just need to wait for natural attrition in the voting population.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ban all dogs that aren't goofy labrador retrievers IMHO.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It seems like a bad idea to keep dogs with a prey or herding instinct as pets. My partner has been moaning at me to get a husky, and sure they're cute but the also have an abundance of energy, get bored fast, and will maybe just maybe try and eat the cat.

I dunno if a bull terrier is any more prone to snap than a bored out of its wits border collie.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 11, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Which dogs don't have prey instincts? Genuine question.

I dunno, papillons or chihuahuas or something else that's small and weak.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

They're often more aggressive towards people because folks don't bother training it out of them though. People walking little dogs who are pulling so hard on their leads that they're walking only on their hind legs, snarling and snapping at people and other dogs who come past, but the owners don't bother doing anything about it just because they're able to physically hold them back.

Sure, but in a combat scenario where you are attacked by an off the rails chihuahua vs a staffy, I personally feel confident I could absolutely destroy the chihuahua and take only minimal damage.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i think we should let dogs have guns

Excited to learn about gun dogs; saddened by the reality about gun dogs.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Save outdoor cat discourse for Twitter

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

I regret to inform you todays dog discourse has now moved on to “dogs in pubs”

https://twitter.com/nrgsrhc/status/1701162912901927271?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Dogs in pubs are a net good, children should be waiting outside the pub as I did when I was a lad.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Counting up the hours of my childhood now spent waiting outside the pub/bookies.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Guy just needs to go to the loving Toby Carvery and leave the real pubs for the decent people.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

notaspy posted:

I think we should start a list of things that will cause massive derails:

1) university
2) chrispchat
3) dog

4) warhams

Edit 1931 Chinese Soviet Republic proclaimed by Mao Zedong

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 12, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

It's why Stalin isolated him and withheld his Last Testament, revenge for the cat poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mgshanks/status/1701513186258649308?t=TbCDZhjxczbxJKbrXjOFLQ&s=19

gently caress them Glasgow needs to reduce the amount of people bringing their car into the city, and Rutherglen is within walking distance, also served by multiple regular buses and trains. Hamilton and Coatbridge are also on the low level train network.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just do away with uniforms and fashion in general and put everyone in different coloured boiler suits relevant to their social status like in dystopian scifi.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
In my school wearing the blazer meant that you were either gay or posh. You also took abuse if your trainers were a cheap brand like Ascot or Dunlop, or even worse from Asda.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Katheryn Ryan accused an unnamed pannelist on some poo poo quiz of being a rapist but wouldn't name them due to threat of legal action. The potential suspects were Brand, Walliams, Carr, and Noel Fielding. All of whom seem like dangers.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Britain: Nonces all the way down.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Who could've forseen that a bunch of libertarians would be pro nonce?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how come it isnt the good stuff?

Because you live in Britain mf

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Which is also a bollocks argument, because the Gay Frogs (Alex Jones REMIX) video has over 19 million views, so what?

What a tragedy that this superior Alex Jones remix has only 700k views

content warning Alex Jones shirtless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODZE5peUfWQ

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was thinking - that new anthology of poetry edited by Corbyn and McCluskey has a contribution from R brand wonder if they're busy recalling it!

lmao jesus why?

Jeremy Corbyn for the love of all that's holy please do the most basic of background checks on the people you platform.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 18, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The one thing we didn't want to happen.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
World superpower Great Britain struggles to connect 3 cities with a train line, while tiny Faroe Islands manages to link up all of their islands with cool undersea tunnels

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's sick, I didn't know the Faroese had it like that

Look at this poo poo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Having an area of wilderness it’s a pain to get around is probably useful at stopping us running in and stomping on all the endangered small creatures, as is our wont.

Grouse and Stag shooting industry already do the stomping out of endangered species, helped along with the golf course industry.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

A fun thread fable of getting a British train, extremely functional system you got there.

https://twitter.com/JamesNokise/status/1706433356186161479?t=GMOKO9YlpsuY1fdC1S6juw&s=19

If you don't use Twitter idk just ignore post, I cba finding a workaround

Did this happen last night? The hotel next to Ayr station went on fire which inexplicably caused basically every service to be cancelled (including services that do not go through Ayr). My partner called me in a panic as she was stuck in central with no information, a board full of cancelled trains, no indication of replacement busses. Take a bus home instead you say? Would probably have worked if Stagecoach didn't decide to totally gut their rural services earlier in the year removing all of the stops from the single X that stops in our town.

She lucked out and managed to get a last chopper out of Saigon situaton, hopping on the last Glasgow to Carlisle train which had a stop with a connection to a local bus service (the local bus took 1hr 15 mins). The only other options after that would be a taxi or hotel (the hotel would probably have cost less).

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 26, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Highland clearances 2... but good this time.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Humza sticking all the Landlords on a boat to start their new life in Canada.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Would be nice to have a government that actually did something, just basic stuff you know like maintaining a working transport network, having adequately staffed and up to date hospitals/schools etc. Doing something about the sewage so it doesn't leak into the rivers, just things like that. Pie in the sky probably.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The government could cut immigration tomorrow if they wanted to, like they literally make the rules up, it's their rules currently.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ThomasPaine posted:

Fair enough but mainland UK manages it OK and I don't think our ne'er do wells are any less feral than NI's, so ???

Ehh NI ner do wells regularly firebomb police vans. They are far in advance of our homegrown bams.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Josef bugman posted:

Does anyone have any budgetting advice or help with funds atm. Just in general.

Don't be like me and hide from your bank balance, check it everyday even if you know its in the red.

Move all of your direct debits / standing orders to one day, preferably your payday (or equivalent) so you make sure that these are paid and you don't factor them into spending.

Do shopping in bulk, get a delivery of tins, pulses pasta etc. Enough for the month (or two month if you can manage).

Anything left over put in savings, even if it's just a few quid. Get in the habit. (I actually used an app called Chip which forced me to stay aware of daily spending and bank all excess funds every week, it really helped turn around bad habits).

Repeat for the rest of the year.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 27, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Josef bugman posted:

Also, what is a "business analyst" because when I am looking at job roles the term keeps coming up but it seems to just include secretarial things?

It's a very broad title, could be anything from capacity / workforce planning, mi work, project management support. You'll need to be confident with spreadsheets probably and pretending you know what you're doing. You'll be looking at data, making tables and projections, stuff like that. Like the role actually varies wildly, as does salaries. It really depends on what sector you are in. Call centres for example will have analysts managing staff/service levels, other businesses will be more financial analysis. It's a bit of a job that you tend to fall into accidentally, but everyone tends to rely on them.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 27, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Apparently you need to get some sort of coloured belt now to be a business analyst.

I like it my team is full of nerds who just geek out about Lord of the Rings and new Excel functions every day.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If you can bike commute, then a new bike probably costs less than an annual travel card. I spent my poverty years just cutting around town on a rusty old beater which saved me about £50 p/m on busses/trains. You do have to deal with being cold and wet a lot of the time.

Make a weekly budget and stick to it ruthlessly though (include some discretionary spend for fun stuff if you can). If you are in debt or overdraft then getting rid of that is a priority, and it's a real weight off your mind when you actually end the month +£20 rather than -£300. There's a finance thread somewhere that probably has better tips, accounts, tools for helping you.

Vegitarianism is also a lot cheaper as long as you are cooking from scratch rather than eating processed meat substitutes, and it will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.

edit: lol Starmer's hosed it

quote:

Westminster Voting Intention (Scotland):

SNP: 38% (+2)
LAB: 27% (-5)
CON: 16% (+1)
LDM: 7% (+1)
GRN: 6% (=)
REF: 4% (+1)

via @yougov, 8-13 Sep

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 27, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Skull Servant posted:

It's very funny seeing the SNP remain significantly far ahead after a summer of "SNP ELECTORAL MELTDOWN" over a couple of polls where they were slipped 5 points (but were still about 10% ahead of Labour).

Is it just a lack of understanding of Scottish politics by English reporters, not getting that different regions have different politics, or is it just rabid unionist journalists that are behind these headlines?

Partly due to unpopularity of the SNP due to some stuff covid response, trans bill, nicola being arrested. Mainly though the media narritive had been based on the hopes and prayers of Labour, UK press.

The poll that probably matters more is the 48-52 percent of voters who have fully given up on the union. They might not like the SNP but they aren't really going anywhere else right now.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 27, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What's an Agile Ceremony? Does that involve pledging yourself to Black Philip or something?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
gently caress the queen glad she's dead, hope the rest follow swiftly in a king ralph scenario.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Their punishment should be being forced to watch Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

That's no punishment Robin Hood: Prince of Theives owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rickman is great in in, and Freeman gets to spend a lot of scenes raising his eyebrows at the primitive Christains, theres an evil witch, what's not to love.