Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Fedor. He used to be really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

i became a fan when machida seemed 100% invincible and i'm so glad he never lost once in his career and retired undefeated

I still remember when he fought Weidman and his Machida style wasn't working for the first few rounds so he went gently caress it and went for it. Got smashed still but some casuals I bought to the pub thought it was amazing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

individual865 posted:

It was Machida for me, my first favorite fighter.

Scapegoat posted:

I still remember when he fought Weidman and his Machida style wasn't working for the first few rounds so he went gently caress it and went for it. Got smashed still but some casuals I bought to the pub thought it was amazing.

machida fans had it good. the weidman fight, the first shogun fight (not the second obviously), the way he crushed thiago silva, couture, mark munoz, c.b. dolloway, mousasi . . .

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I was using Kazaa to find whatever mma/nhb clips I could back in school, around 2003. Igor Vovchanchyn popped up a lot.
Really smooth, balanced, super heavy Russian hooks. It was a cut above a lot of people’s technique. It was so gritty to see people fight on a giant loose vinyl mat with waves and edges everywhere.

Foul Fowl posted:

machida fans had it good. the weidman fight, the first shogun fight (not the second obviously), the way he crushed thiago silva, couture, mark munoz, c.b. dolloway, mousasi . . .

The slow mo of him pulling down Sam Hoger’s punch and countering over it really made me appreciate how mma gloves did open back up some technique that’s been lost with gloved combat sports.

Same with Ryan Bader just running into him.

He had a lot of tricks to finish once he popped into range, including a traditional karate/kung fu sweep:

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
It was a combination of K1 and PRIDE FC. I used to watch them super late at night on an early version of cable ( Im from the Czech republic ) on a channel that I dont think exists anymore.
I remember being utterly shocked by the violence of ground and pound and soccer kicks and knees to a grounded opponent, I was in my early to mid teens and it felt like I was watching something forbbiden, it had almost a snuff video quality for me. And sometimes the guy on the bottom would end up turning it around. It was wild.
And K1, the days of Ray Sefo, Remy Bonjasky, Jerome Le Banner, Peter Aerts, Semmy Schilt...
I did not know what I was watching, I had no way of looking up the fighters or even following the sport other than hoping that I will randomly catch an event from time to time and it felt really special when I did manage to catch it. Also, I think I remember the czech commentary being pretty atrocious, going on about how this guy or that guy was a real gentleman ( about white guys ) and this guy or that guy was not ( not white guys, unless they were Japanese in which case they had samurai spirit ). No surprises there I guess.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kragger99 posted:

Question for the thread: Who was the MMA fighter that got you into watching/following MMA?

Even though I bought the UFC 3 PPV live back in 1994 (didn't watch much MMA after that for a few years) I'd have to say it was Mirko Cro cop highlights that got me into it. So he was my first fav fighter.

I guess it was watching aleks emelianenko beat the poo poo out of James Thompson in videos posted here on the forums.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

The shoddy video streaming reminds me, I had at least three friends who didn't give a single gently caress about the sport ask me how to watch Bob Sapp fights because of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7wUeUNKgDY

god you can straight up count the pixels

the clip from 1:14 on loop as a gif with the caption "where's your jiu jitsu now, playboy?"

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
For me, I watched MMA fights here and there for a long time as a kid, but I got into it and was most invested probably in 2007 posting in our old IRC.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i remember seeing those old cagefighting vhs tapes for rent at my corner store and that sort of got me into it but i really didn't get into watching until my friends and i started watching k1 and pride in the early 00s

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Digital Jedi posted:

And Saturday morning there is a PFL Europe card headline by Cédric Doumbé

Yea so about that PFL card

https://twitter.com/johnmorgan_mma/status/1706719773747560475

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

As long as we're doing bad industry news, the house wins and Mark Hunt's gonna be broke again.
https://twitter.com/Jason_Morrin/status/1706752553499734173

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lol, lmao.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

that's a good hill to die on, hunto, but at the end of the day you're still dead .

hope he's not too too hosed by it

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Ringo Roadagain posted:

i got into mma way later than most people in this thread but for me it was mark hunt who got me into it. specifically his fight with struve. I had been watching for around a year and a half because my friends would buy the shows, but hadnt really gotten behind a fighter till hunt.

Yeah I would never have gotten so into MMA if it wasn't for Hunto / this forum.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
My first UFC was 100 to see how Brock would fare, though I ended up enjoying watching GSP breakdance all over Alves and seeing Hendo uncork an all time KO on Bisping.

I didn't really start following it though until later. I was housesitting and through boredom and curiosity started watching some old UFC cards that had been on Netflix back in the day. I remember being specifically impressed by Jon Jones. I started following it pretty religiously after that and only recently have I started to just skip cards altogether.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
what even am i doing with this stuff :siren:

B-League Round-Up

ONE Fight Night 14 - Friday 8PM, Amazon Prime

Singapore Indoor Stadium is once against hosting the world famous ONE Circle with ten action packed bouts. Five MMA contests, three Muay Thai bouts, a grappling match, and the always intriguing CUSTOM RULES affair.

We’ve got Asa Ten Pow in action, we’ve got JOHN FUCKIN LINEKER, we’ve got the Women’s Flyweight juggernaut, Jingnan Xiong taking on Wondergirl in a strange striking contest that isn’t technically kickboxing or Muay Thai. Child phenom Smilla Sundell is defending her Muay Thai title against Allycia Hellen Rodrigues, and in the main event, the evil demon lord Chatri Sityodtong is trying to personally destroy me as he pits Stamp Fairtex against “Hamderlei Silva” Seo Hee Ham for the interim Strawweight title. Stamp and Ham shouldn’t have to fight each other, they should team up to fight injustice throughout the world in a charming Saturday morning cartoon.

PFL Europe - Saturday, 11AM, DAZN (allegedly)

Oh honk off. I’m not covering PFL Europe. Fine, here’s a thing to watch: Cedric Doumbe. He’s gonna be there and hopefully kick a dude in the brain real hard. You’ll probably see a GIF on Twitter about five minutes after it happens. But have some self-respect and don’t watch PFL Europe.

Oh and its not even available for DAZN in the US. So truly, madly, deeply, honk off.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I didn't see it myself but it seems like tonight's contender series card ended up being really good (skip the heavyweight fight), anyone catch that?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CarlCX posted:

As long as we're doing bad industry news, the house wins and Mark Hunt's gonna be broke again.
https://twitter.com/Jason_Morrin/status/1706752553499734173

Summary judgment occurs if Mark Hunt stopped showing up so...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It’s a pretty sardonic statement if you don’t click through, not trying to be Sam Alvey.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxlIJbSsfTv/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Firstly I caught a replay of WEC 48 on TV once.

And I listened to a wrestling podcast that used to cover UFC events, and eventually I just started watching around UFC 134.

I was really into Chael and would buy his PPVs, even thought I knew he'd lose.

I remember being really into it for UFC 195 and that period where every welterweight title fight was an insane war with McDonald/Condit/Lawler/Woodley/Thompson

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Brut posted:

I didn't see it myself but it seems like tonight's contender series card ended up being really good (skip the heavyweight fight), anyone catch that?

Yeah I watched through, it was the best episode of the show I'd personally seen. The heavyweight fight was funny as hell considering it had the most lopsided odds on the card. The main event has a cool storyline to it sold completely by the two fighters.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shale was the OG P4P #1 MMA grifter, the rest in the time since have dialed the rhetoric from racist to jesus loving christ so he looks pretty tame and harmless in comparison, even though his entire schtick was to make fun of impoverished black people.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Shale was the OG P4P #1 MMA grifter, the rest in the time since have dialed the rhetoric from racist to jesus loving christ so he looks pretty tame and harmless in comparison, even though his entire schtick was to make fun of impoverished black people.

it was absolutely insane to me that i went back to a 'best of chael's stupid bullshit' video and what struck me was how comparatively harmless it seems in the present tense.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

it was absolutely insane to me that i went back to a 'best of chael's stupid bullshit' video and what struck me was how comparatively harmless it seems in the present tense.

While Chael still said some ignorant and racist poo poo, he at least had the air about him that he was kinda just taking the piss and trying to get a rise out of people. It has a different vibe from Colby Covington threatening to murder commentators and calling Kamaru Usman a terrorist with as much sincerity as he can manage.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kragger99 posted:

Question for the thread: Who was the MMA fighter that got you into watching/following MMA?

Even though I bought the UFC 3 PPV live back in 1994 (didn't watch much MMA after that for a few years) I'd have to say it was Mirko Cro cop highlights that got me into it. So he was my first fav fighter.

Cro Cop for me too

I used to watch Unleashed on Spike TV all the time. 100 was the first live show I caught (family paid for it/watched together because Brock)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I found the UFC through randomly coming across UFC Unleashed right before UFC 100. I was in the middle of binging through the first few seasons and had no idea of the giant event so the first card I watched live was 101. Anderson Silva became my guy.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Was this Friday's Fight Circus date announced earlier? Because it seems to have come out of nowhere to me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Never imagined Krazy Horse to be the 1 side of a 2-1 cage match.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's a nice MMA story to read for once
https://www.mmamania.com/2023/9/27/23887527/stutter-king-ufc-heavyweight-curtis-blaydes-speech-impediment-interview-sao-paulo-ufc

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/BorrachinhaMMA/status/1707104036262916104?t=k8psj_J0mAfZ21nPN50NpA&s=19

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

He's cutting to 205?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
That’s not real, right? His arm looks like a balloon.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Super Deuce posted:

That’s not real, right? His arm looks like a balloon.

https://twitter.com/CPX2982/status/1707106512332636537

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Apartment wrestling? Strictly the purview of the barely millionaires.

Wrestling mat boat wars, now that's what centibillionaires do
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwsgvUlLtEn/
(for those who can't click through, it's Zuck paying some name UFC fighters and grapplers to be his friends)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOdCnfDo1Mw

why did ufc upload this i thought hey both retired

nvm: I'm a fuckin dumbass didnt see "classic", but this isn't even an "on this day" that happened in April so :shrug:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Urijah Faber was one of my first MMA loves. I read his book and it was actually amazingly honest and insightful, no sugar coating anything, talks about tax issues and flying guys in on his own dime. The sleeping on floors, the grind of the amateur scene etc all the way up to marquee performances in WEC and UFC. The agony of being wrecked by Aldo but wrestlefucking everyone else into the ground was an interesting storyline for a while too, seeing if he could level up to take on the greats. (He couldn't)

TUF kept me interested for a while as well. There's some all time great MMA personality moments on TUF. The comeback season was amazing and Bispings rise on the season after that was the start of something big. Season 10 had Rashad and Rampage repeating "you feel froggy, jump" over and over again and it was amusing at the time. Rampage saying to Schoonover 'got milk bitch' was pretty great.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

beep by grandpa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOdCnfDo1Mw

why did ufc upload this i thought hey both retired

nvm: I'm a fuckin dumbass didnt see "classic", but this isn't even an "on this day" that happened in April so :shrug:
Iaquinta is a loving mensch and deserved more credit during his career. Told Dana where to stick it when he was getting lowballed and ended up on easy 6 figures during his late career comeback.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
adjacent MMA news. but Jon Jones's brother is unfortunately going crazy right now in Las Vegas as well:

https://twitter.com/chanjones55/status/1707413353382166668?s=20

ESPN posted:

Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Chandler Jones wrote in a social media post Monday night that he was taken to a hospital "against my will" by the Las Vegas Fire Department and later transferred to a behavioral health facility last week.

Jones was placed on the non-football illness list last week by the Raiders with what the team has described as a personal matter. He has been away from the team since Labor Day weekend when he began a series of social media posts aimed at the Raiders, owner Mark Davis, general manager Dave Ziegler and coach Josh McDaniels.

https://twitter.com/MitchellRenz365/status/1707385931492163742?s=20

i can't remember what it's from, maybe Hellier, but there's a theory among some people here in Appalachia that there's some crazy amount of limestone or some other kind of rock that's emitting some kind of waves or low-level environmental fumes that's making us all crazy, and that's the thing that explains it.

anyway there's gotta be the same type of thing in Las Vegas that particularly affects the Jones family. Hope Bones's brother gets help. Someone should have not allowed him to sign with the Raiders.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I'm gonna say this is not MMA-Adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Brut posted:

I'm gonna say this is not MMA-Adjacent.

https://twitter.com/chanjones55/status/1707396191368192007?s=20