Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
"Small market" is an owner myth used as an excuse to let them not spend money. Every team in the league, including the Packers, can easily spend more than the current salary cap is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I don't think Gannon will get fired unless he is Urban or Hackett levels of inept/embarrassing, which he very well might be.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Rich billionaire owners are the reason teams move in the first place, since they like to pit cities against each other to get public money to build new stadiums to hold non-football events to get even richer. The league generally begrudgingly accepts moves, rather than pushes for them. Green Bay is one of the top 5 least likely teams to ever move, for historical and economic reasons.

Yeah Green Bay is more or less one of the pillars of the league, it's not like moving the Rams

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

What you do as a GM almost doesn't matter if you keep messing up at OL and QB, you can't win games with those positions in disarray

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Are we even sure Carr would have picked the Jets over the Saints given that he's friends with Dennis Allen

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Campbell went on Paytons staff in NO for a while and built up his resume a bit, and who knows if he would have had the same success if he did not do that.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

Tom seemed perfectly capable of cooking with garbage, Mr. Jones.

Tom Brady never had an OL this awful. They can't run block OR pass block at all.

The receivers are :corsair:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I really don’t know, but it’s possible he was just burnt out and needed a break or thought he was ready to retire, then realized retirement is boring as poo poo and talked himself into taking a job he probably shouldn’t have.

Dump truck of money sure helps too

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mega64 posted:

The 2024-25 New England Patriots

He already has the best Patriots WR on the Raiders now

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Forrest on Fire posted:

Or he's letting Bill get a real QB to ruin in a draft instead of trying to hire a replacement to Belichick. There's no successor to BB. His kid isn't as knowledgeable of defenses. Whoever follows Bill probably gets fired within 2 seasons

The answer isn't anyone on the current staff though so that doesn't matter

e: It doesn't actually matter if he has an extension or not if they want to move on, they can either just eat it and fire him or trade him

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Jim Harbaugh screams "next Vegas coach" to me

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

McDaniels bailing on Indy probably isn't looked on as badly by people in the league as it is by fans because Irsay is batshit crazy. His failure in Denver is way more relevant than that

Judge and Patricia failed so badly and in the case of Patricia his replacement took the same defense and made it way better the next year it looks extra bad. The thing people don't really realize is Patricia was never really a "good" DC

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

No way in hell they double down on the Patriot experience and bring in Mayo or Bill

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Dorsey is definitely going to be the sacrificial lamb, the team will have to crater and not make the playoffs for McDermott to get fired. I can see a scenario where they fire Dorsey, get a new OC and the record doesn't really improve because of the other issues with the team and then McDermott gets canned a year or two down the road

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

God I really hope the Giants miss out on Maye and Williams.

Patriots will probably end up with one of them though so pick your poison in your case

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

The Patriots are way more likely to win a few more games than the Giants are. They also play each other lol

They might lose to the Giants

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

Like Belichick would draft a QB in the first 5 picks. He'd either trade down or draft DL/OL.

Bold of you to assume he'd be making that pick.

mcmagic posted:

With Tommy Devito? no way lol

They lost to Brian Hoyer

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Richardson didn't start getting serious buzz till he went crazy at the combine but even then people were still like "well yeah but look at the film..."

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I wouldn't make the argument that McD/Ziegler didn't do anything to improve the team, they traded for DeVante Adams. Some of the things they did didn't work out, but they didn't just sit on their hands and do nothing

I wouldn't hold bailing on Indy against him either given Irsay is insane, Luck had just missed the entire season and then ended up retiring after 2018

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Docjowles posted:

There are former players who will say good things about Belichick. I doubt you could find one of those for McDaniels.

Urbz and Schiano

Maybe NFL Nick Saban

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Dorsey is going to be the sacrificial lamb, I think McDermott gets to skate on that this time

Bills fans should be alarmed at the steady increase of Allens INT% though, it's been going up for the last four straight seasons and is now firmly in the middle of the two "Wow, Josh Allen sucks" seasons

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 14, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Bill thinks Josh Allen is an idiot

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If the Chargers hired Bill your definitely getting McDaniels as your OC because Bill knows him already and he's basically free cause Vegas is paying him.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yeah yeah, but who's picking the players?

One of the old GMs he used to work with that isn't working right now.. Pioli, Dimitri, Zeigler. Zeigler also has the benefit of being free

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Reich had to go but he wasn't the only problem

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I wouldn't want my team to hire Kellen Moore but I am for someone else doing it so I can see the car crash

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Benne posted:

Derek Carr has been in the league for 10 years and has two winning seasons to show for it

At some point it stops being everyone else's fault

He made some really horrendous throws last year, and just in general was bad with fantastic options to throw to. Easy to blame McDaniels but Mac Jones played better in the same offense with worse weapons the year before that

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s easy to blame McDaniels because that’s two years in a row of QBs looking way worse under him than they did immediately before. Garappolo looked like complete poo poo this year. One year of Mac Jones looking middling is the only thing McDaniels has to his name and I think it’s fair to call that a fluke at this point.

Jimmy never really looked right after the foot injury unfortunately

McDaniels was a bad coach but Carr also played like poo poo. Both can be true

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

They could turn it around pretty quick if they get the right coach/GM in and nail this draft. They have a lot of work to do obviously, but they have a poo poo load of money available and a high draft pick

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

So continuing to suck it is

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

syzpid posted:

Mahomes does cool poo poo to win games

Brady was boring as gently caress except when he had Moss, had a good running game and defense to back him.

To me that's the main difference.

Tom Brady did awesome things to win games all the time. You guys cant appreciate the art of a finely tuned machine doing it's thing

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Bucs getting one with Baker would be great content

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Or you could hire Brian Daboll after watching the success of Buffalo’s offense, and then he decides he doesn’t want to call plays anymore lol

Going from Josh Allen to Daniel Jones will do that to a man

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not convinced Vrabel would be a super great hire unless your team already has a good established QB, his inability to put an offense together after Arthur Smith left is kind of concerning

Like, there are some stories about how the Krafts like him and would be interested but how is he going to be any different than just giving Bill another shot with a rookie QB

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I feel like Vrabel is a younger Belicheck, for all the good and bad that means. The problem is I don't trust this guy with an offense, so I'm fine if he wants to go to New England.

A mix of both. Failing to rebuild the OL and trading away AJ Brown killed our offense, but Vrabel's assistant choices have been pretty underwhelming too. Arthur Smith was good for us, but who knows how much of that was just having that trio of Tannehill/Henry/Brown balling out and opening things up for the likes of Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith to actually do well.

I'd rather just hire an offensive minded HC

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kalli posted:

I may be a sicko, but I kinda want to give Mayo the job and... bring in Josh McDaniels to run the offense.

Sure Ben Johnson might be a better coach or whatever, but the defense is going to regress without Bill, but Mayo at least might be able to retain some of that, and McDaniels is a solid OC who will never, ever ever be considered for a HC gig again.

No thanks. Give me one of the Shanahan nerds

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Search firms have to be the biggest scam going, incredible that teams keep hiring them

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Patriots going from Bill to Vrabel would just be side show bob stepping on the rake again. Get someone who understands modern offense please

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I love that pats fans are so thrilled to be dumping the best coach in the NFL. i'm sure the next 5 years will be like bill's tenure........sure.

The offense literally has no where to go but up, how much worse can it get than dead last in the league and every game being a boring slog. They weren't even the fun kind of awful to watch like Jameis out there fun slinging, it's Bailey Zappe going 12 for 30 for 88 yards and 2 picks. That stat line is straight out of 1974 not 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I kinda get it but also wow