Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Saleh's seat is definitely cold, but has a nuke strapped to it. Honestly, even if Rodgers shits the bed, I think he'll only get fired after the end of the season. It's definitely a 'we'll see' situation.

Smith I think is getting a pass mostly because they managed to successfully blame Marcus Mariota for last year's collapse and even then they were really goddamn close to the playoffs in a dogshit division.

Brandon Staley is super unlikely to be fired mid-season, but I think the expectations are pretty obvious for him and his coaches to clean up the braindead decisions from last year and get the goddamn offense moving more consistently. 27-0 cannot happen again in any form, straight-up, and his seat will cool off completely if they get into the playoffs and win at least one game convincingly there versus a real contender.

I'm just not convinced Bellichick is in any real danger. He's past his prime and clearly missing his legendary top flight QB, but I just don't see him getting fired. Quietly retired at the end of his current contract, absolutely. But they won't fire him and at this point I just don't see him coaching another team. Worst case, he gets to break one last record and that's it probably two years. He gets to retire with dignity (despite all the loving cheating), and NE gets to spend quality time getting their poo poo pushed in for those 20 years of darkness and suffering they inflicted on the rest of their division.

Kevin Stefanski has definitely run out of scapegoats and he's been strapped to Watson whether that's who he wanted or not. If they fall apart this season, Stefanski is gone and I see a lot of coaches and players either getting kicked or looking for escape routes. So for Cleveland, it's definitely a football season ahead for them.

To me, the real question for me is whether there's anyone who's gonna get fired midseason. Right now the only one I can see getting fired midseason is Rivera, but that's a big question mark since they have new ownership and no one knows what they think about their own situation this year. Maybe Gannon because lol Arizona trying to be competitive with a lanky dork coach trying and failing to exude chad energy like Dan Campbell. But those fuckers are tanking, so really low odds unless he straight up somehow gets his team to forefit a game, which I give a non-zero chance to this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

I agree with this

Yeah, it's really not much of a conversation about Staley at this point. Either he gets that far or he's done, not much gray area left for him.

TBH I wanted him fired after 27-0, even if they pulled out a last second miracle and won. It was just utter incompetence to blow a lead that big and I'm still convinced that Staley is a fraud until proven otherwise this season.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn. I completely forgot that Dennis Allen and Todd Bowles are head coaches. Talk about two guys who aren't HC material flying under the radar despite a kind of weak showing of potential fire candidates.

Also, the GM for the 49ers has gotten bailed the gently caress out hard by Brock Purdy's existence because I realized they haven't had a 1st round pick since they got Trey Lance. Also Solomon Thomas was picked by them. And Javon Kinlaw. They've just set fire to so many 1st round picks these past few years it's unbelievable what a goddamn stacked team they have despite the fact that this sort of poo poo-tier drafting should have tanked this team hard.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Rob Ryan isn't a downgrade from Brandon Staley as a defensive coach. The end of this season can't come soon enough cuz we all know Staley isn't getting fired midseason unless they go 0-8. Even then, I expect to hear the deadly vote of confidence and that's it.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Brandon Staley fraud status: Still.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Broncos-Bears needs to be flexed into Monday night.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Black Sunshine posted:

counterpoint: give him a 10 year extension

If they keep Telesco, they might as well. Not like he’ll suddenly hire anyone competent. Chargers gonna Charger.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
And here I thought the Chargers had a shot at the first midseason firing. But nope, Raiders speedrunning this bitch. Again. Can’t wait to see the Chargers lose to them because Staley is now the worst head coach in the division again.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Belicheck to Vegas, McDaniels to New England.

Both get fired within two years.

The idea that Bellichick has to spend like 6 years chasing the all time wins records with 4-13 teams delights me so much. I want this to happen so bad.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

lmao he had as much to do with the Patriots' success since 2000 as I did

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

I am completely done with both my NFL team's head coach and college team's head coach. It's a weird feeling.

yeah

There's too much talent on defense for this poo poo to be happening. But I think if the Chargers wash out of the playoffs entirely that Staley will get fired. It's just a matter if Telesco follows. He can't be allowed to hire a new head coach after three loving failures in the last ten years.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Defensive genius Brandon "I smelled Sean McVay's farts" Staley, everyone.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

McCoy was given a 4 year deal and coached 4 years.

Lynn was given a 4 year deal and coached 4 years.

Staley was given a 4 year deal and has coached.... 3 years.

I suppose what they've done can technically be called "coaching".

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I give a poo poo about right now is if Telesco is fired alongside Staley. If Spanos lets that milquetoast dipshit choose another head coach and work another draft, I'm just done with this garbage-rear end team. At this point it's blatantly clear that Telesco is at the heart of all this team's problems that can be realistically solved. He can't draft worth a poo poo, can barely do free agency adequately, and has managed to let way too much good talent walk out the door. I never forgot how Eric Weddle got treated in his last season, and over the years, Telesco proved that was the real first giant red flag about his poo poo performance right up there with Donald Butler's contract extension.

To be clear, Dean Spanos and his loser-rear end kids are the real problem, but I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon so I'm not even gonna bother speculating about them.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

I mean this with all sincerity. What's the alternative? Just stop watching football?

Do you want us to just not talk about our team

The point I was trying to make was that there’s not much reason to argue about getting rid of Spanos cuz it’s not happening. However, Despite his clear flaws as an owner, rolling the dice on a new GM and HC is preferable to sticking with this garbage-tier crap that’s currently running the team. Because yes things could be worse with a new GM; but if this team is at 4 wins on the season as it is, worse isn’t all that worse anymore. But things could also improve, and that’s the part I’m interested in.

Sticking with Telesco another year to pick a new HC just shows the Chargers aren’t a serious team and not worth the time and emotion we put into them. That’s my bigger concern,even over when they finally fire Staley. I’ve had a lot of friends who gave up on this team when they moved, and those who’ve remained since have been so apathetic this season, even I’m questioning whether to bother with them anymore.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

this was the good feeling I was talking about btw

I legit expected Staley to be perp-walked out by security for that first half, but yeah I haven’t felt so good about such a game ever.

The suffering is almost over.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Well. That’s done with.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I agree. Keenan Allen is about as much of the face of the franchise as Herbert is. He should be retiring as a Charger.

Mike Williams just turned 29. That makes him way more likely to be traded or cut for cap relief. Khalil Mack was a spite trade against the Raiders; yes, he's still amazing, but he's too expensive with the least-worst cap hit of the big contracts. Bosa, I think is possible but not 100% to be traded; the dead-money hit this next year will decide what happens with him. Michael Davis isn't going to be coming back. same with Ekeler. Sebastian Joseph-Day is gone, that's quite a bit of cap there. Eric Kendricks, same. Morgan Fox is another possibility. There's a lot of guys on this roster that can be cut to make room for a much larger rebuild by a new regime. Yes, 2024 is gonna suck balls, so might as well dump as much as they can while the dead money hit is already spectacularly bad, and be done with it. No need to drag things out like the loving Saints. Who they cut in the offseason ahead of free agency is a good indication of how they want to proceed. And of course, who becomes head coach. I'm not banking on Bellichick at all. If that happened, I'd be ecstatic; even if he was GM too, I'd take it over the dogshit we just walked away from. Jim Harbaugh would be....interesting. He's definitely a competitor, and got a lot out of an aging roster when he was the 49ers coach, but I don't see that happening. He'd probably piss of John Spanos all the time. Fun for us, but that shortens his time as head coach. I'm not interested in Dan Quinn, but I feel like he's the sort of guy Spanos would go for as he's a much safer choice than Harbs. Past that, who knows.

All I know is that trading Herbert isn't happening. There's no need to roll the dice on a new QB when you got a loving fantastic one right there. But I'm gonna explore this a bit anyways.

Let's say they did, and got maximum value (3 1sts, 3 2nds, etc.) for him. Most of that would either go into building a roster without a franchise QB, which isn't gonna be competing. Look at the Seahawks. Good roster since they dumped Russel Wilson, but they just aren't gonna be anything other than a wild card team, and I do like Geno. I suspect they might trade up this coming year to grab a real QB, which is going to cost them. And honestly, it's something they should've done this past year when they had more draft capital to spend on it.

Or you throw most all of that to move up to 1st or 2nd overall to get a QB. Even if he works out really well, the chances of actually upgrading from Herbert are slim to non-existent. And you STILL have the same roster issues as before. You haven't really upgraded or extended the life of your position. They might come out ahead a little bit, but I doubt it. Honestly, the only way I see it happening are if a franchise QB falls to them in the draft, and they pull another Eli Manning about it, only trading Herbert to another team for a draft-day haul. That's the only way I see it actually working out, but they won't get as much on draft day as they would ahead of the draft for him. Either way, it's a gamble, and that isn't what the Spanoses are about.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

I know it sounds dumb and cliche to say that we need someone who can change the culture around the team (every team who needs a HC says this), but I'm kinda on board with the cliche this time. Hiring X's and O's guys hasn't been working, and that's what worries me about Ben Johnson. I have no doubt he can design a good offense, I'm worried about him being a leader/ceo type of personality.

This is a lot of what I’ve been thinking too. Anthony Lynn was the closest to an actual culture shift the team had, but he was a terrible schematic guy and had no feel for the game as a playcaller. Harbs is my first choice too but I just don’t see it happening because John Spanos is too conservative in who he will choose (yeah, despite the fact he gave a shot to three guys who weren’t proven head coaches before).

I’m afraid that he’s going to go either full insanity with going for Bellichick or another safe hire like Dan Quinn. I don’t know if there’s any real in-between with him at this point. I’d be genuinely surprised and happy if he did go for Harbaugh, though.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
The Chargers looked a million times better tonight without Staley. If they had Herbert still, I don't think the Bills would've stood much of a chance.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

Jesus how bad was Brandon Staley?!

the Raiders scored 63 points on them and could've scored more with him. AFTER the Raiders lost a game to the Vikings by 3. In a game where the Vikings only scored a single field goal

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
the gently caress is wrong with the Eagles

Why'd they fire the guy who didn't blow it bad against the Bucs in the playoffs before Patricia?

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

Yeah.

Name a Telesco draft hit after the third round in the past ten years.

Desmond King
Drue Tranquil
Kyzir White
Austin Ekeler

And that’s it. The whole list. Jamaree Salyer hasn’t fully proven himself but he could make the list still.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I mean, yea at least Telesco can find a good QB. Also while I don’t think he’s good the Raiders haven’t been able to hit on anyone lately so even if they just get better at hitting on 1st rounders that’d be an improvement

Telesco and whichever Spanos wanted Tua, but they weren't willing to overpay to leapfrog Miami in the draft, so they rolled the dice that the Dolphins wouldn't select Tua themselves and were forced to settle for Herbert when they actually did.

All in all, Telesco's 1st round draft picks are slightly worse than a coin flip if they'll be good or not. His only redeeming quality is that he doesn't overthink it when a high quality prospect falls into his lap.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

He seems too smart for his own good and focuses on scheme above all else, including his personnel. IIRC I read in one of these threads that he had the perfect defensive scheme, it's just that it's way too complicated to actually function as intended.

Staley and his ilk can master Madden, but they fail to realize that they're slotting real loving people in these schemes. Schemes only go as far as the people running them, and if you fail to adjust accordingly then your scheme is useless. You're never going to have the perfect personnel to run the scheme effectively 100% of the time, and it's idiotic to even assume so. That's why the best coaches know how to adjust and how to fit schemes around the players and their strengths.

This, loving this.

Staley is an arrogant dork who always needs to be kept in check by a head coach with a real personality that the players respect. Anything less than that and he just might be the sort of rear end in a top hat who will get into a power struggle because he himself was a HC and still thinks he can do that job. Honestly, I don’t think he learned a loving thing from being fired midseason, and getting his GM fired too. If he did, great. But I’ll believe it when I see it.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I don't want to see Brandon Staley get a job as a coordinator this year and I'm happy the Packers weren't dumb enough to do that.

Oh wait. He can take the Cowboys job if Quinn leaves. I need a good laugh this offseason.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Telesco has about as many connections as Bellichick if all he can do is hire former Chargers guys lmao

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I feel like maybe if your team holds the Chiefs to 19 points in regulation and you don't win, the defense is not the problem.

But I don't get the big head coach bucks so what do I know I guess

Sounds like a team that needs A Professional Defensive Guru to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

God loving damnit I WAS KIDDING.