Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Carried by his nickname

It's pretty funny that people have completely memory holed that the nickname was originally meant to be ironic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
it was actually an extremely good idea for the Panthers to trade CMC, unless it had been to any other team than the one that they did

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I dunno if Belichick would sign on to any other team unless they also gave him personnel power, at which point that team would just end up with the same problems as New England.

Maybe he cares enough about breaking Shula's record that he'd be willing to set his ego aside and report to a GM, but I kind of doubt it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Staley is probably the most likely to get fired first if the Chargers keep dropping winnable games. Eberflus and Rivera are almost certainly dead men walking but it probably won't be until after the season or close to it if the owners want to get a head start on the coaching search. McCarthy won't get canned until Dallas flops in the playoffs. The Raiders probably can't even afford to fire McDaniels. Stefanski, Taylor, and Allen all feel like they're probably safe, but it could change depending on how the rest of the season plays out.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

CapnAndy posted:

Canada, maybe? Depending on if the Steelers keep fluking into meaningless wins?

I was specifically referring to head coaches. Firing coordinators midseason is a standard last-ditch move for a coach on the hot seat to buy themselves time to turn the team around. Canada and Del Rio are definitely on the block.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
McGlinchey was more like a league-average RT than a 'turnstile' on the Niners, but he was definitely stronger in run blocking than pass protection and he's not a good fit for the Broncos because Russ holds onto the ball forever. I don't think he's a terrible player like a lot of Niners fans do, but the team had to get cheaper somewhere on the roster to make up for all the guys they have to pay and he was definitely the odd man out, especially after the offer he got from Denver.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

a neat cape posted:

I can't see Minnesota not bringing back Kirk

He's about to be 36, very expensive, coming off a major injury, and the team has a pretty firmly established ceiling with him. I would rather they roll the dice on a second-tier QB prospect like Penix at 11 than just run it back with Kirk at $40m+/year if I were a Vikings fan.

With Pierce I think it's all going to come down to who he picks for his assistants. Having a culture guy for your head coach certainly can work but you gotta get the playcallers right. That's why I'm not super confident in the Lions staying good once Johnson leaves for another team.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Seahawks should hire Dan Quinn so Shanahan can keep shoving his defense in a locker twice a year

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I don't think McDermott is a very good coach but there's an approximately 0% chance he gets fired after the way the Bills finished this season.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Jerry will never hire a coach that might get more of the credit for the team's success than he would, how many times do we have to go through this

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Chargers would absolutely not mandate a candidate like Harbaugh or Belichick keep Moore if that would in any way jeopardize them taking the job. Anybody else, idk.

They're technically within their rights to do that because he's still under contract and it's not a promotion, but it is kind of a bush league move

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Definitely a lot better than Roman or Kingsbury, at least

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I don't care what kind of offer they get for the pick, they can't keep Fields now that they have first overall in this draft class with Fields another year closer to being dramatically more expensive and having made decent progress at best. Take Williams or Maye, use 9 on the best receiver or lineman on the board, and see what kind of picks you can wrangle for fields for some team that won't have as many options to upgrade at the position as you do. Anything else is organizational malpractice, but then again they're already giving Eberflus another lame duck year so I guess they're already familiar with that.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I feel like nobody's going to trade for Fields without giving him the starting job basically unchallenged, so I think everyone ends up happy in that situation. There are a ton of teams without established quarterbacks who probably aren't in position to draft a decent prospect (Falcons, Raiders, Vikings, Steelers just off the top of my head) so there should be a market for him.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

FizFashizzle posted:

Rivera is gonna put in a good word for Shula or Dorsey.

Dorsey probably wouldn't be a terrible choice for the Eagles tbh. The Bills offense didn't actually meaningfully improve after he got fired, McDermott just did it to get the heat off himself.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Bills went from "out of the playoffs" to "#2 Seed in the playoffs" after Dorsey got fired. The offense definitely noticeably improved after he got fired.

The Bills' offensive success rate and EPA/drive were actually higher under Dorsey than Brady. The 'improvement' was mostly a factor of turning the ball over less, which I don't believe to be a function of the OC as much as Allen's... shall we say, 'erratic' decision-making burning him less in the second half of the season than the first.

Either way, it's not like he could do much worse than Johnson. Although who knows how much of the Eagles' problems on offense were caused by Hurts gutting his way through various injuries and being less able/willing to run as a result.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 23, 2024

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Same for Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning. :lol:

Head coaches Joe Philbin, Adam Gase (twice!), and Nathaniel Hackett! :doh:

tbf, everyone knew the Jets were being dumb when they hired Gase immediately after he was clearly out of his depth in Miami

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Belichick's not going to go back to being a coordinator, that doesn't help him get the wins record.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I think Fangio is still a good DC even if most of the people trying to imitate his scheme aren't doing it nearly as well. I just don't know if the Eagles have enough good players in the back seven to make it work now that Bradberry and Slay are looking pretty washed. But it's hard to imagine Vic doing worse than the Desai/Patricia brain trust.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

kidcoelacanth posted:

what if tampa hires monken as " ;) offensive coordinator ;) "

Baltimore would probably block it, you have to offer a candidate a promotion in order for them to be able to leave their existing contract

Also Belichick just has to wait a year for the Jets to clean house, he's probably not sweating it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Ayudo posted:

Someone announce Dan Quinn to the Seahawks! Cowboys fans are owed that much!

https://x.com/JaimeEisner/status/1750900909511479788?s=20

Carroll getting fired because his defenses kept getting shoved in a locker by McVay and Shanahan four times a year despite tons of high draft picks and FA contracts is funny enough, but if they turn around and hire Dan Quinn of all people to solve the problem?

:pray:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
imo they should hire Dan Quinn now, just to be safe

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
It's been so long I don't even remember what team that post was about, was it the Giants about the decade where they won two Super Bowls?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Jody Allen I am speaking directly to you: you need to maintain the culture that Pete instilled with the Seahawks franchise that brought you so much success. You need continuity. You need Dan Quinn. What the gently caress did this MacDonald guy ever do, lose a conference championship game?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Steelers are definitely on the shortlist of Fields destinations. The Bears obviously won't trade him within the division so the Vikings are out, which makes Steelers, Falcons, and maybe Raiders the most logical teams that are likely making changes at QB but not really in position to draft a promising prospect. Maybe Seahawks if the new coach isn't a believer in Geno.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

mcmagic posted:

Is there anyone in the world who would rather have Mike loving Kafka coach their team than Pete Carroll? lmfao

Seattle's been trending in the wrong direction for years and his side of the ball specifically has been getting worse despite tons of investment in free agency and draft capital, it's really not that shocking that they'd want a new direction. The weird part is that they're keeping Schneider instead of bringing in an entire new regime.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Feeling OK about Schneider having more power in Seattle these days considering his track record of drafting and trades between... let's say 2015-2021?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

i don't think Dan Quinn is a bad hire but its certainly not exciting. a lot will depend on his choice of OC. honestly a few years of steady mediocrity would be a massive improvement for the commanders at this point and building up a real front office is a big part of that.

The problem is that if the QB they take at 2 is good but the coach isn't, they're throwing away the biggest competitive advantage a NFL team can get: a star QB on a rookie contract. A lot will depend on his assistants, but Quinn's defense gets eaten alive by all the Shanahan/McVay disciples because its tendencies are so well known at this point, and there are more and more of those playcallers proliferating around the league these days.

So I guess we can safely say Jayden Daniels won't be falling past 13

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I wonder if that's a positive or negative sign regarding them as a potential Fields destination.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
you say that like it's at all a barrier for nfl teams

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Sataere posted:

If the Bears trade Fields to the Raiders with Getsy as OC, that would be the cherry on top of the worst quarterback development plan I've ever seen. We completely ruined you in Chicago. Now we are gonna send you to the one guy we know won't build an offense around your skillset.

I mean when the Bears make the trade they aren't doing it for the sake of the rest of Fields' career, they're doing it for whatever gets them the best return. If the team acquiring him continues to gently caress up his development that's no skin off their nose at this point.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

yeah if he's not calling plays then you're golden

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Joe Barry hired by the Dolphins as Linebacker coach (good) and run-game coordinator (bad). The run game coordinator is a real head scratcher because Green Bay's defense was hot garbage against the run, allowing the second most per carry over the past three years at 4.7 yards.

Wait, he has a job on each side of the ball? Weird, I can't think of many cases of guys splitting responsibilities like that.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
it's wild that the Cowboys didn't fire Fat Mike and will still end up having a better coaching staff next season

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

a neat cape posted:

He was good for one year with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey

Good thing the Niners also have a lot of talent on defense then!

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. Ultimately I guess I'll trust Kyle since he's got a good track record with his assistant coaches. I personally think firing Wilks was kind of reactionary but it's not like it was completely out of the blue, there were grumblings about that side of the ball all year long even though the end results were still mostly good. Just gotta hope that Hufanga comes back healthy next year and they can add some impact guys in the draft, I guess.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
wow that's a name I haven't thought about in a really long time

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah it's a lot of tape grinding as I understand it: both of opposing teams to research gameplans/tendencies, and past game film to help the DC/position coaches help clean up stuff that needs working on. Basically, they do a lot of the nitty gritty detail work for the DC so they can take that data and make the bigger picture plan out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Jerry will never hire a coach who he thinks will get more credit for the team winning than he will. Jason Garrett got like 8 years coaching that team for a reason.