Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Belichick should retire if the Pats don't make a wildcard. His drafting and free agency work has been a disaster the last half decade. He's about to reach the tipping point where his coaching acumen no longer makes up for his poor GM work.

I know he’s chasing Shulas record but does he really want to muddle through some 9-8 seasons to get there? I don’t see any path to greatness or contention with the current team but maybe having an actual OC will make the Pats respectable again

At the least Kraft should take away his GM and staffing powers - which would make him resign I guess

ETA: DC Murderverse has the right idea. If the Pats are still competing for wild card spots he’ll get to stay but if they start 2-7 or something…

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

syzpid posted:

I remember there was an article not too long ago that went over how the Raiders basically sidestepping the Rooney rule when they hired Gruden showed the rest of the league there was no punishment for abusing/ ignoring the rule. Since then the hiring of black coaches has dropped off tremendously, Bienemy's first season as OC was Gruden's first year as Raiders coach. It's just racist old owners.

The owners of the Bills and Cowboys literally said as much. But wasn’t it the Washington team that interviewed like a Assisstant Assistant Coach and then met the Rooney rule?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Let's pretend that happened. Whomever they bring in will just be Bill's bitch. The fundamental problem is that he still thinks talent doesn't matter as much as being a good role player.

Mike Tanier who gets posted around here sometimes said what you’ve been saying ITT yesterday: if they hire someone from a respected forward thinking organization with like a good stamp of approval and make him President reporting directly to Kraft, it solves this problem and probably forces Bill to start thinking about an exit

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

I think a good bit of Reich's job security is going to depend on how the next few weeks go. He's already given up play-calling duties going into the bye, and afterwards Carolina enters a stretch with some winnable games (Houston, Indy, @Chicago); they'll have two weeks to prepare for Houston, while Indy and Chicago are going to be out their starting QBs. If Carolina leaves Chicago 0-9 I think Reich's seat will be at least moderately warm, because it's really not going to look good losing to a Tyson Bagent-led Bears team when you still haven't gotten your first win yet

Calling out the owner- for Young over Stroud and for meddling - in so many words has to really heat up your seat too, right? And Tepper unlike the Spanoses can definately afford to just get himself a yes man

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Setting a new sack record?

A ton of analysts have said that he’s always been like this

See his time at UNC https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/article/unc-sam-howell-intent-on-reducing-sack-count-tar-heels-mack-brown--164533129/

I recall Kimes saying that he makes decisions that get him sacked pretty frequently

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think they also still employ one of Mike Lombardi's failsons despite firing Mick.

The Lombardi failson was fired (source: Mike Lombardi himself)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

pasaluki posted:

Why I'm not in favor of that has less to do with McDermott and more to do with the owner of the Bills. He vacillates between being practically nonexistent and incompetent. He can barely speak in front of the media he has seemingly no friends or confidants that know football and otherwise what's actually good for the team.

He has a track record of making terrible hiring decisions with both the Sabres and the Bills. McDermott's height may not be a sb winning coach but if he gets fired and you have Pegula hire a really bad out of nowhere coach, we are talking about potentially the end of the Bills having any sort of relevance.

The last time we heard from Terry Pegula he was wondering whether if black people complained so much about racism in coaching decisions why don’t they go back to Africa

Just to give you a level of how smart he is

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

kalensc posted:

You don't dismiss the viable candidacy of a solid interim coach for such a nothing reason.

If Harbaugh interviews and seems committed (unlike the Minnesota interview a year or two ago) then sure, he's a proven success several times over.

But if he isn’t keen on the Raiders then there is no legitimate headline-making hire, so... gauge Pierce on his merits and interview chops and plan for the future, rather than believing you need to win the off-season coaching hire showdown?

I know it’s a different sport but I’m thinking about Monty Williams accepting that massive gently caress off contract to coach the Pistons even though he wanted to just take the year off and wanted a veteran team and the hilarious results it’s had (team sucks rear end, he is playing no hopers over rookies who could maybe be developed, kind of seems like he’s phoning it in).

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

If you want to turn a joke of an organization into a contender, Bob Myers probably is a good hire. The Warriors before Curry were dire

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mcmagic posted:

In meaningless games after the season was alreadly over like I said a billion times.

What's the top 10 defense thing? Over the second half of the seasoon where they played the Jets and the Vikings and the Chargers? The idea that people are buying into that strikes me as silly.

Outside of the Chargers game none of the teams they played gave up. This isn’t the NBA. Unless things have absolutely gone to poo poo everyone is still trying to win and get game tape their agents can show to teams so they can get one more contract.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Did Bieniemy even get an interview outside of Washington this year?

As per Randy Mueller today no he didn’t. I am a Black Jamaican Canadian so I get the real racism inherent in the process but I’m starting to think he might have a Josh McDaniels personality. And he has to work on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

So the Raiders have no QB and Hue has a “advisor” role maybe? He’s got the chance to do the funniest thing ever