Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You sure Arthur Smith is cool?

I'd have to imagine he's at least mild for Atlanta's lack of progress now and could be spicy if the revamped defense falls on its rear end. Last year's offense was brutal to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Desmond Ridder sucks, but Arthur Smith is perhaps the most incompetent coach in the league.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Set Arthur Smith's status to a steady boil, please

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Refreshing this page to see if Arthur Smith has been fired yet

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I want to see some championship team from the '30s play against an average modern high school team. The old guys could probably manhandle the teens on the line but they'd be absolutely discombobulated by "route running"

Depends on the rulebook. I mean, leather helmets and no facemasks in the 1930s. You let these the pro guys horsecollar and clothesline people and it gets more even.

Playbook, too. There's some middling high schools teams running spread offenses and I've seen a fair share still running Wing T. Short passing, the 1930s guys are dead. Wing T or single wing, it might get interesting.

Back to defense, Hardy Brown was small dude whose defensive tactics were solely to know you the hell out. Unsurprisingly, Brown died of dementia. A really nasty childhood and booze combined with all the hard hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1OEU3-mL9k

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution had a poll for what to do with Arthur Smith, with three options: Fire, keep and keep only if he makes the playoffs.

They ran a story on the poll today, which was 74% to fire this morning. The poll was left open and by afternoon the fire percentage rose to 76%.

My only fear is that we somehow end up with somebody worse, a Reich or McDaniels. At least Carolina has the guarantee that whoever their permanent guy is, he's better than Reich. Atlanta still could somehow be more inept.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Parallax posted:

How is Atlanta's defense? They've gotta be the second most desirable coaching spot behind the Chargers if Smith gets fired, between the offensive weapons and just how lovely the south is and will probably continue to be

Much improved this year but have age/injury concerns. Calais Campbell is 37 years old. Grady Jarrett blew out his knee four games into the season. Jessie Bates played his best year ever, but I don't know how much to trust that going forward.

AJ Terrell is good, Demarco Hellams has shown a heckuva lot of promise in the 2nd half of the year.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

There are few things worse than being a whiny pissbaby

- Being a whiny pissbaby and losing
- Being a whiny pissbaby to your division rival
- Being a whiny pissbaby after that performance against your division rival
- Being a whiny pissbaby after that perofrmance against your division rival in a potential game to get to the playoffs
- Apologizing to your whiny pissbaby division rival after he puts up that performance against you

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

And take your QBs with you.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LOL at anyone wanting to give Dan Quinn another head coaching try.

Quinn had a functioning Matt Ryan and Julio Jones and spent his last three years doing the same thing that Smith did with Mariota, Ridder and Heinicke.

Plus 28-3.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Adun posted:

I’m pretty sure Dan Quinn’s head coaching career is done and dusted now. Much less McCarthy

I think somebody's still gonna get him, despite looking like complete poop from a butt against Jordan Love. He shouldn't have been on any radars ever again for 28-3, but somehow he has been for the last two years. Owners will forget this too.

And I want to see it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pulling real hard for Belichick to Cowboys to keep him away from Atlanta

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Welp.

Guess I'm a Jags fan now.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

kiimo posted:

Am I crazy for thinking the Falcons would be morons to hire Bill over Jim if he's actually serious?

They are and have always been morons in Atlanta, OP.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Whoever gets him also gets Jonnu Smith. It's a package deal.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's not Belichick. That's the only request I had.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

No disrespect to Raheem Morris, but in 2-3 years, Falcons fans are going to be screaming, “WE COULD HAVE HAD BILL BELICHICK!!! :byodood:

No.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’ve said it before and I will say it again: Arthur’s Atlanta offense probably works if he had a QB better than Ridder.

I think it’s a good hire for Pittsburgh, maybe.

Just need to upgrade their current qb stable lol

Nah. Heinicke was at least serviceable elsewhere. He looked as terrible as Ridder this year.

Feleipe Franks was still on Atlanta's roster because Smith thought he could turn him into a tight end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Quinn/Kingsbury would have been a dream team 7-8 years ago.

Now? LOL.