Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Yeah now that LA/Vegas has teams what cities would even be candidates for a move or expansion?

San Diego and St Louis probably the most likely since they already had teams, but then...what? San Antonio? Salt Lake City? Portland? Nothing particularly jumps out as a viable billionaire leverage town to hold anyone ransom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I don't remember him being a clean prospect, I remember him being considered a bust candidate thanks to him being a manziel style run around and ball type who beat up weak competition at BYU during the lean covid season. He was one of those guys nobody talked about until like the combine when all of a sudden he'd rocketed past several other prospects like Fields and Jones

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

What if, and hear me out here, Brian Daboll discourse

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Febreeze posted:

What if, and hear me out here, Brian Daboll discourse

Nevermind folks nothing to see here lets just move along

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I wonder if Vance Joseph takes the hit instead because woof

Broncos defense was great last year so we know it's all coaching

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

The Giants are going to be butt this year but there's no way Daboll is truly under threat of firing until at least next year.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Last year Kafka was a finalist for the Cardinals job despite having one year as OC under his belt for the Giants, after coming from underneath Bieniemy and Reid the year before. Bieniemy, meanwhile, had to go to take a Lateral move to a different franchise just to try and shake off the "Reid and mahomes did it all" critique.

Every excuse that has been made against Bieniemy has not stopped other coaches and retreads from finding work. Maybe he does interview poorly, but at this stage what the hell else can it be outside prejudice that is driving a lot of it?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

BlindSite posted:

Yeah but, just as much to the point. The giants definitely aren't playing around it. McAdoo was such a weird choice as head coach at the time, did OKish as OC in carolina last year toward the last few games. Managed to dial up some decent run game at least but nothing about the dude ever struck me as a HC.

McAdoo was being groomed as the heir apparent from the moment he was hired. The Giants decline after 2011 was first blamed on Kevin Gilbride, who had gotten stale by then and someone had to pay for the 2012-13 struggles. McAdoo was a hot QB coach who got credit for Rodgers ascending in GB and he brought a new, faster, less risky offense to help Eli cut down on picks and it honestly kinda worked, but the defense fell apart right as the offense started to fix itself and Coughlin got booted for it, McAdoo wasn't ready yet but the Giants usually liked to hire internally

The team wasn't good under Big Mac but the Eli benching fiasco caused a huge overreaction and spelled his doom

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Maybe Bill is just fine

Ron Rivera on the other hand, he toast

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

He did not turn around the Commies though. They’re still a bad team. Losing Snyder is not on him.

On the other hand, this is now the second owner who has been ousted while Rivera is the coach, Maybe Rivera is secretly an owners grim reaper. Which team needs to hire him next? Browns? Chargers?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Armitage posted:

I just can't help but feel Daboll's seat should be boiling hot right now. Two fourth and 1s, two field goal attempts that didn't even come close by a guy that's toast.

Gano deserves more blame than Daboll, that was a game where a single field goal could have won it, any points should have won it, and he shanked them both despite being the only reliable source of offense the Giants have

Daboll isn't going anywhere till next year at minimum after this year they are probably gonna draft a QB, sit him behind Jones for a season, and then see what happens

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 29, 2023

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

fartknocker posted:

I agree that Daboll is probably safe this year, barring some catastrophic meltdown that would require both on and off the field insanity.

For non-Giants fans, it's worth pointing out the last three coaches were all fired after 2 seasons or less (Judge and Shurmur got two seasons, McAdoo was fired during his second season), and I don't think ownership wants to extend that particular streak.

The circumstances of those 3 firings were different than what we currently have now, too. McAdoo got the job because Coughlin got scapegoated for the team's decline over the 2010's, then when the team fell apart in McAdoo's second year Mara overcorrected again after the benching debacle and fired McAdoo and Reese to do a clean house

They hired Gettleman, who hired Shurmur, but they (probably on Mara's orders) tried to make a final run with Eli happen instead of starting with a fresh young QB. That wasn't gonna work with the roster a mess so Gettleman drafted Jones, the team sucked, and Shurmur got the blame for it, probably unnecessarily but it's not like he was good.

Judge was horrible hire that felt like the Giants got swindled by a guy who talked the talk after Matt Rhule got stolen by the Panthers, and he was meh his first year, and might have survived his second season if he didn't have a complete press meltdown late in the year and after firing Gettleman the Giants finally decided to have a true, genuine fresh start

Daboll and Schoen are the first genuine attempt at a clean slate. Last year was supposed to be a *gotta grit out some contracts* year but they made the playoffs. They would need a catastrophic meltdown to get let go this year, and injuries are a good excuse so far. The team was in such a hole after the Gettleman failure and Mara is probably afraid to do it again. They need to fire the offensive line coach and have a good draft this offseason but it'll be hot seat time next year for sure

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 29, 2023

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I think Mark Davis can't afford to fire him yet lol

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The team is worth like 6 billion now that they're in Vegas. Triple the last time he was broke and handed Gruden 100mil

Handing Gruden 100 million over ten years before having to fire him shortly into that and then paying McDaniels 40 Million is exactly the problem

the team being worth 6 billion doesn't necessarily mean he has 6 billion liquid to just give to anyone

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 31, 2023

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Benne posted:

History doesn't really back this up though.

Mangini, Crennel, and Weis all failed twice, and never got third chances. Jim Schwartz never got a second job, despite media people constantly calling for it. Patricia, Judge, and Flores also never got second HC jobs. Technically BOB had two jobs since he left Penn State for the Texans, but he never got another HC chance in the NFL. Pretty much all these guys just went back to being assistants (or crawling back to Bill's bosom).

McDaniels has now failed twice, both times in embarrassing public fashion. It's a wrap for him.

For all the talk about privilege and failing upwards, they always seem to settle back down at their appropriate level.

It took 10 years for McDaniels to get a second gig, it's too early to call it on guys like Flores and Judge and Patricia. If McDaniels could rehab his image even after scorning Indy they could too, as could anyone who failed the first time. Shurmur rehabbed his image, Dennis Allen was given the Saints job, Steve Wilks was getting a fair amount of buzz after last year's interim stint and this year before the recent losing streak.

I do agree that you don't get to fail 3 times, but twice seems plausible for everyone once time has passed and people forget why you were such a disaster in detail. Flores would probably be a prime candidate if he didn't piss off the owners with the lawsuit. Judge is a joke and probably wont be back, but if Patricia can embed himself on a good team he could reasonably ride it back to the top.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Bumhead posted:

Patricia and Judge took a particularly scorched Earth approach to their HC gigs. Time might cover being bad at your job, but they both seemed like deeply unreasonable and unpleasant people on top of it. There’s got to be a longer than normal half life on the toxicity of that pair.

Again, so did McDaniels. Nobody had nice things to say about McDaniels in Denver. He was just as bad if not worse than Patricia. He even sweetened the deal when he bailed on Indy at the last second like a coward, and still got a second shot

If Patricia can find the right spot to rehab his image, its not out of the question. Unlikely, but not out of the question. He has HC experience, that alone will keep getting him decent jobs in different places because even if it's not another HC gig, once you've made it you've kinda made it

Spags is another guy who was an absolute disaster coach but he's spent enough time that people have forgotten and he's getting more and more love in KC

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 2, 2023

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I've seen a bit of speculation that the big contract for Danny was partially due to Mara. I dont know if I buy it, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was involved.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I don't know how long Tyrod is going to be out, he might get rushed back for the Patriots. DeVito is absolutely unplayable in his current state. The Giants aren't beating anyone with DeVito under center

Giants offense with Tyrod can win, but the Patriots game will probably depend on which defense shows up. The one that held the Bills and Commies to minimal points or the one that got trounced by the Raiders

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 7, 2023

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Tepper is like a textbook case of how getting rid of a bad owner can actually just get you an even worse owner

Haslam was a pretty good case for that too

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

By the time of the draft Stroud had been the victim of the "obvious top guy that people start to turn on while draft beatniks start falling in love with high upside potential projects instead" trend

It happened to Justin Fields. He was the clear #2 all year, even debated to be the #1, and then suddenly everyone falls in love with Zach Wilson for some reason.
It happened to Josh Rosen, he was the clear #2 to Sam Darnold all year, until late in the process when suddenly Baker and Josh Allen were the hot poo poo
It happened with DeShaun Watson, he was pretty hyped and then all of a sudden everyone was talking about Mitch Trubisky
It happened last year, Stroud was debated as the #1 with Young, and then time dragged on and everyone fell in love with Levis and Richardson. Levis fell, but Richardson didn't.

The draft process takes too long and it allows draft people to run out of things to say about top prospects so they start falling in love with other guys and that hype train ends up derailing a few talents that then fall in the draft, play really well, and make everyone wonder how they fell that far

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Nervous posted:

It definitely wasn't clear cut. They were very much seen as a 1a and 1b kind of thing, iirc.

I remember it mostly being Young has more upside and talent but doesn't have the physical measurables vs Stroud who is slightly worse but does and the argument basically being will Young's physical traits hold him back. Those who did wanted Stroud, those who didn't wanted Young.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Josh McDaniels lost to Jeff Saturday
Josh McDaniels lost to Baker Mayfield as a Ram, something he was for a total of 48 hours at the time of the win
Josh McDaniels lost to undrafted rookie Tyson Bagent's first ever start, quarterbacking one of the worst teams in the entire league

McDaniels is a masterpiece

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I thought Rivers just retired

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Remember those reports that after "retiring/firing" from the Giants he kept showing up at their facilities to work out until someone had to tell him to gently caress off. And when he interviewed for the Eagles opening he reportedly spent the whole time in the interview complaining about the Maras and the Giants lol.

Considering everything that's happened since he was arguably right to

His retirement press conference was incredible, Eli is clearly holding back tears and Coughlin just snubs Mara's attempt at a handshake and walks right by him

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Judging from some of the stuff I've seen online Bills fans are starting to hit that strong dissatisfaction phase with the current coach that cannot get them over the top

I don't see McDermott getting canned but if the Bills keep loving up he might be in trouble

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

fsif posted:

I do think it's telling that the Bengals, for example, have the same expectations and have struggled similarly but there's no obvious panic.

To be fair to the Bengals I feel like they haven't been contenders for quite as long for unrest to start brewing and they almost won a SB and this year's issues can easily be directed at the Burrow calf injury

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

It's Kurt Cousins all over again

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Harbaugh working under a meddlesome micromanaging owner, what could go wrong

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

He hated Jed York with a fiery passion and he still won 70% of his games with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick and made a Super Bowl. He's a very good coach.

And then he got power ousted after calling Jed York a baby

I know he's a good coach, that's not the problem here. Tepper seems much worse than Jed York and Harbaugh is going to immediately get on his bad side by not listening to his bullshit

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 30, 2023

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

The only place that feels like a good fit for Belichick in his current state would be the Chargers. The team already has a lot of foundational pieces that can compete now if coached well. I don't see Bill being a good fit for a team in need of a rebuild like the Bears or Panthers even if he doesn't have GM power. I doubt he wants to go through a rebuild at his age either.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I don't think any of the other owners or Roger care about Tepper being gone

But I could see Peter King going after him because King got snubbed or something by Tepper and he's being spiteful. Maybe Tepper blew him off and King was like "I'm the company man, you can't be rude to me"

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Saleh just seems like a classic case of good coordinator, bad head coach. The defense is top shelf but the offense has been so wildly mismanaged on all fronts. I can see him sticking around and the Jets trying to give the Rodgers experiment one more shot next year with a focus on the O-line in the offseason, but it's that or fire everyone

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Things the Jets need:

- A healthy QB who is not a tomato can. So not Rodgers, not Zach Wilson.
- A starting tackle and better OL depth
- Another receiving threat
- A qualified OC

Would you trust Joe Douglas and Saleh to get those things?

Most teams have a lot of problems going into an offseason and if lucky are able to solve most of them. Never all of them. Firing everyone doesn't fix those problems either. The Jets gambled for the Rodgers experiment last season and got snakebitten on day one, we can speculate about how the season would have gone with Rodgers back there but we don't actually know, and I can see the team deciding it's worth trying one more time.

I don't trust Saleh and Douglas to fix that but the decision isn't up to me, I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of the idiot owners who would have to make that choice. Go for the Rodgers last run one more time or blow everything up and start fresh again? Hard to see which side they'll land on.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Sirianni has taken the Eagles to the playoffs 3 years in a row, a super bowl last year, you are a lunatic if you think he's gone even if the rest of the season goes badly

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Didn't Chip Kelly also have a conflict with Roseman?

Yeah, he managed to get control of the roster from Howie, then sucked, and got booted out

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Q_res posted:

Eh, you've mortgaged your future for the Aaron Rodgers experiment. You don't cut Saleh and Douglas loose until you're ready to cut bait on Rodgers.

Which I fully expect to happen after next year.

Yeah that's kinda it. They were probably safe the instant Rodgers got hurt. Bad for the team or not this is a sunk cost situation and all the hype they got this year could theoretically just go into next year with some hopeful upgrades.

They all sink or swim on Rodgers now

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Yeah Dynasties are good villians in the short term but I'd always rather see new blood rise to the top after a few years instead of watching the same thing every year. That was the worst part about Brady's reign and why I never want to see anyone genuinely challenge him for GOAT status, it got so boring after a decade to see the Patriots at the top every single year going to every other super bowl and AFCCG

Well oiled machines are admirable and respectable but not very interesting to watch after a short time

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Josina clearly says unexpected

Daboll's known to be on the hot seat.

Only by bloodthirsty posters in this thread who took one look at the Giants record and automatically assumed he was in trouble

Daboll would actually be a surprise, especially over the second half of the season when the team won some games and got hype around Cutlets. There's been no heat from Mara about him and no reporters have talked about Daboll being in trouble. Daboll won't be under any real heat until next season

However there was the Jay Glazer report that Daboll and Wink had issues and Wink leaving might be the surprise

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 2, 2024

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

AndrewP posted:

Thinking about the Eagles… is there any precedent if the Eagles had realized Shane Steichen was the brains of the staff and fired Sirianni to promote him to HC?

The Cowboys effectively ousted Wade Phillips so they could promote his OC Jason Garrett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

gvibes posted:

11-5 with Matt freaking Cassel. And he has a playoff appearance with Mac Jones.

Both of these seasons occurred with Josh McDaniels at OC so

Maybe it's time we give him another shot