Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m rooting for chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Saleh has yet to prove he actually brings any advantage on gameday. Why would he survive a failed fourth season?
He’s proven to be an excellent scout and developer of defensive talent with a sound strategic mind for game day.

He’s W-L record is because he’s had among the worst qb situations in the league and rampant OL injuries. Now part of that is him drafting Wilson but also sometimes you just have to gamble on a qb prospect and sometimes they bust. I think it’s completely fair to say he’s a good coach and his lack of success is largely due to “poo poo happens in the nfl”

But like YOLO said, even if we can explain his lack of success due to those factors, he’s still probably gone if there’s no playoff production this year.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Let's call a spade a spade. Brandon Staley sucks poo poo and will be fired in January.

But will Pete Carroll??

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

Also Saleh got handed a raw deal but... it's year 3, probably going into year 4 with no good plan at QB. Just cut him loose, he's done.
Are you saying that’s what the jets will do or what the jets should do?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sometimes you just have to gamble on a qb prospect :shobon:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

the ideal coaching structure is hiring some scrappy young wunderkind offensive coordinator and then hiring some grizzled old defensive coordinator to hold it down

where is wade phillips

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AI wrote that article. Or should I say AU - artificial UNintelligence!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ches Neckbeard posted:

1A to 1B

The Chiefs do not look the same without Bieniemy. My only reservation was him being behind Reid and Mahomes to go with Matt Nagy's complete breakdown had me wonder. He's looking legit as hell right now. Granted we're talking about this in week 4 and poo poo can change.

I agree with your overall point but it’s not apples to apples.

2023 chiefs have a worse OL and a worse WR corp than the 2022 chiefs.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MikeCrotch posted:

Bienemy is infamous in the league for being a hardass and working players very (too?) hard - it's the thing that keeps coming up about why he can't get a HC job

Wasn’t there a mini media controversy about Bienemy being a hard-rear end earlier this year? I like the HC said Bienemy was a hardass and the media ran with it. And basically the players came out and said “yeah he’s tough but he gets the best out of us and wants the best for us”

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

ChatGPT?

Someone's eventually gonna try it.

Twitch plays nfl coaching

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

I am convinced that the next Chargers head coach will be Bobby Slowik or Ben Johnson

Would you be happy/neutral/unhappy if they made Moore the HC?

Also, broadly, how has Moore been for your offense?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I agree. Do the necessary and make Moore the head coach.

Surprised to hear that QJ has such good separation and yet is not getting targets. You’d think Herbie would be all about that.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Docjowles posted:

:stare: I had to quadruple check this wasn't Adarn

Lol same

Woozie66 posted:

Good on you Mark for admitting a mistake quicker than anyone expected

Yeah. That’s a great and decisive move. Recognize mistake and move on.

Raiders are 3-5 so I didn’t think the firing would happen until a few more losses accrued.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

shyduck posted:

Harbaugh is definitely making the jump back this time when Michigan gets death penaltied right

What violation(s) did Michigan do?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Michigan had a guy (named Conor Stallions, really) on program who was paying people to go to games of teams that Michigan was going to play or might play in the playoffs and having them record signals from behind the sideline. Stallions was seen on the the Michigan sideline next to both OCs and DCs at various times with charts of opponents signals.

He also may have snuck into the CMU sideline disguised as a CMU coach so he could try to steal signals from Michigan State when CMU and MSU played.

Also he paid all of his co-conspirators via Venmo and left his activity timeline public.

It’s extremely hilarious but also a really bad look for Harbaugh if he’s implicated.

Lmao

Funny story, great concise reporting from YOLO, and what a conclusion lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't think Young over Stroud is a crazy choice at all at the time

There's still every possibility that Stroud turns back into a pumpkin anyway, there's a ton of qbs who looked good at first then turned to complete poo poo

Stroud is better than Bryce and was better than Bryce in College. Fire all Carolina coaches and force Tepper to sell.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kirios posted:

Oookay we're having a little revisionist history here - Young was clearly the #1 option in the draft everywhere by the time it was rolling around. It would have been a massive surprise if Stroud was taken #1.

Hell, Stroud was by no means the second best QB overall - Richardson was approaching him by the end and there were a lot of people saying the Texans won't draft him and just kick the can to next year. They got slight pushback for picking Stroud.

It's all obviously worked out great for the Texans, but Stroud wasn't viewed as that slam dunk guy back then.
I did. I ranked Stroud above Young.

Stroud was superior in almost every way to Bryce as a prospect but for some reason Bryce got labeled as dumb poo poo like “just a winner, “special creator”, and “elite point guard”.

And I don’t want to poo poo on Bryce, I thought Bryce was a fine qb prospect, but clearly not as good as Stroud. Stroud is one of the most accurate prospects I’ve ever seen and I’ve been following this dumb sport for decades.

As noted, the podcast/Twitter/etc mock draft community coalesced around Bryce as the number one because it became obvious that Carolina was taking him first overall.

Stroud was a better prospect than Bryce, it’s not revisionist history. People knocked Stroud for that stupid test, the fact that he didn’t get emotionally fired up, and concerns that he couldn’t create outside of a clean pocket. After the game against Georgia it should have dispelled those last two concerns but people are dumb.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nervous posted:

It was a ton of fun to shitpost about the impending AR12 mega dynasty for the Seahawks.

I could not agree more, my friend. 100% agreement. There is no room for more agreement.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Who is the next coach fired and why is it not Rivera?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Benne posted:

BetOnline has new odds on "next coach fired." Some ... interesting names at the top.

code:
Matt Eberflus 9/4
Frank Reich 5/2
Ron Rivera 5/1
Bill Belichick 7/1
Mike Vrabel 10/1
Brandon Staley 12/1
Todd Bowles 12/1
Matt LaFleur 18/1
Dennis Allen 40/1
Kevin O'Connell 40/1
Kevin Stefanski 40/1

Interesting to see Reich so high up there. The flus definitely should be top candidate to be fired, but I’m not familiar enough with how the various owners handle mid season firings to bet who actually will be fired mid season next.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Somebody fire a coach, thread needs more content.

Reich gone when? Flus gone when?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

it's not "a list of all the coaches who could realistically be fired." someone lined up the coaches in order of betting odds. there will be odds for everyone and the guy who has 0% chance to be fired is +4000. if you bet $10 on that you would win $400 in return due to how it's not going to happen. let's use our powerful bickering minds to not just argue randomly into the void at every opportunity

I love to bicker into the void

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Grittybeard posted:

I do not understand from a logical standpoint not using motion on every play where you're not going tempo. You don't need to do a whole shift or anything, just a little motion to help the QB read the coverage. Line up in the wrong spot, get to the right spot and gain information. Maybe you line up in the wrong spot if they expect you to get to the right spot and don't do it and you get a free play of some sort.

It's not particularly hard compared to playing football as a whole to get the play off and not get a flag.

I'm not even talking the fancy flash outs the Dolphins and others have started doing, just like, move someone around before the snap. You're allowed to, and it may tell you things.

The lack of motion is absolutely maddening. As you noted, a tiny amount of motion adds a tremendous amount of value.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Forrest on Fire posted:

The Night of Short Drives

Lmao

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

I think Ben Johnson or Bobby Slowik will get the Chargers job

Why not the OC they got this year from Dallas?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

epic bacon posted:

am i the lone dummy who thinks Belichick is still a brilliant coach of football. the last Super Bowl he won was one of the most egregious examples of a masterclass in shutting down a great offense. obviously he stinks as a GM but no one knows defense better than him

I am wildly impressed by his defensive coaching. He doesn’t run a 2-high like most everyone else and he is doing okay give them trash fire that is everything else.

I would hire him as DC in a heartbeat.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

I think there is going to be a total front office house cleaning and think the new GM will want his own guy

Inshallah

But also it would be nice for Herbie to have support and also the same offensive system for multiple seasons

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pete Carroll - John Schneider.

Not on the hot seat… but should they be?

They have constant success in terms of above .500 win-loss and reaching the playoffs. They have constant failure of immediately losing in the playoffs.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Black Monday gonna be delicious

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Coaches on the hot seat don’t get to choose if they hold onto a position.

I am excited for Monday!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Could Rivera succeed as a coordinator or something? Players do seem to love him.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Chris James 2 posted:

Urban Meyer lasted 13 games

Oh Frank…

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Black Sunshine posted:

Why can't I just pick all the blue chip players I want?

Incredible content from Mr Meyer.

The amount of ignorance he displayed could not be due to negligence. Some of this info a regular person would acquire just by being around football. No, it wasn’t negligence. It was dedication to ignorance. A full defense against incoming knowledge.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Moore looks a lot less impressive since Fat Mike's offense is actually working pretty well atm

The primary reason that the Dallas 2023 offense (McCarthy) looks better than the Dallas 2022 offense (Moore) is the huge difference interceptions. (Edit: for 12 games: 6 interceptions in 2023, 15 in 2022! :siren:)

Anecdotally, many of the 2022 interceptions seemed fluky and not really Dak’s fault. I think the Dallas playoff loss last year is a good example.

So maybe McCarthy is calling less risky plays than Moore or something, but it seems like most of the difference can be explained by random-ish turnover luck.

Moore seems like a better OC than most.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 3, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pontius Pilate posted:

Moore has been an upgrade, over an admittedly very low bar, but not as much as I was hoping. Some of it is the roster being injured/older/not as good as we thought, but he still hasn’t been spectacular or anything. That said, fire Staley way, way before him

I feel like that’s underselling the drop off in offensive talent due to age and injury that the chargers have experienced this year.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Not enough firings imo

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BB to Chargers would be so fun.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Weebly posted:

Billy B would always unceremoniously cut or trade players. The same should happen to him. It would be poetic like Solid vs Liquid fist fighting on a sub.

Thank you for putting this in terms that I can understand.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I’ve never handwaved his size before. I just don't agree it's the cause of the problems we're having on offense rn.

It’s certainly a factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yes