Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm kinda shocked Creighton is still at EMU. They were G5 Kansas before he got there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Probably Magic posted:

Only thing is, Kansas let Liepold keep all his Buffalo staff that he also had back in Division III... would other schools? I don't think Michigan State would.

Looks at Kansas record

That shouldn't be a problem

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Declan MacManus posted:

usc literally did it until they hired riley? john harbaugh got an extra two years out of it???

It's really funny USC kept hiring dudes who coached with Pete yet Pete himself was a 4th choice NFL washout

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PSU fired Yurchich

Thought they wait until end of season at keast

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I haven't watched many Texas games but it's odd seeing a competent Sark after what I remember as incredibly mid to underwhelming when he was at UW. I guess he just needed better recruiting?

Calling Sark competent is a bit of a stretch given how Texas blows the 4th quarter every week

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Grittybeard posted:

I was for some reason under the impression that Chip Kelly always hated recruiting and just had good assistants and/or Nike bagmen on staff at Oregon.

When Chip was with the Eagles, he had a presser where he talked about how much he hates recruiting

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

LeeMajors posted:

There is 0% chance they fire Riley wtf

Lincoln Riley is the most unserious "elite" coach I've ever seen, so I dunno

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

would be a great hire for Sparty and a real kick in the balls for the Beavs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If Stoops is taking the Aggie job, I guess Ferentz isn't retiring anytime soon

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Just on a pure football basis, Lebby doesnt do anything for me and then the baylor stuff...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1728948198998499416?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Gruden sucks and shouldn’t get the job but it would also be incredibly funny to watch him pull a Lovie and get hammered by a bunch of lovely big ten teams and ruin his reputation further

I know the answer is money, but why would anybody take the Indiana job? The last 14 coaches have finished with losing records, it is actually impossible to win there. And that was before they had to play the Pac teams

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Komet posted:

It's a stepping stone for an OC or G5 coach to a better P5 HC job

Coaches to successfully use Indiana as a stepping stone job include... uh ... *checks notes*

Sam Wyche got the Bengals job after 1 season and he went 3-8. Indiana is one of the most no-hope jobs in the sport

Northwestern has a longer track history of stepping stone success yeesh

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Indiana last won the B1G in 1967. Even Purdue and Illinois have won the conference more recently. In fact, every traditional B1G team has won the conference more recently than Indiana except for Minny. And at least Minny has had several coaches with a .500 or better record

Indiana sucks and should relegate themselves to the MAC

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Cam Cam was also fired from Indiana first, so yeah, not very successful

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

trevorreznik posted:

I'm guessing we're going to seek fluke 'good seasons' for the bad big10 teams that do well by pure scheduling happenstance, like how the NFL teams sometimes get those fluke worst to first then dive right back into the dumpster.

For example, in 2027, Wisconsin plays: Illinois, Msu, minnesota, usc, iowa, nebraska, northwestern, PSU, ucla. That's what, 2 decent teams (USC,PSU)? With some luck they could go undefeated until they lose 77-0 in the champ game to OSU/Michigan/Washington/Oregon. Presumably, Illinois/indiana/northwestern/maryland/minnesota/nebraska/purdue can get similar lineups in their favor and cruise to a 9-3 season when they beat absolutely no one.

And frankly this will be more annoying to have the best years for the bad programs just be dodging the good ones.

I hope a team lucks into a schedule of nothing but the old West teams, Maryland, and Rutgers. And then has to play all the good teams the next.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

MTSU fired Rick Stockstill

RIP

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Neil Armbong posted:

See, i think Texas is good enough and it was the game plan and playcalling shifting too early with the leads they had. They kept the starters in and didn't keep the foot on the gas, which is like, what's the point? just put the drat thing to bed in the for good in the 3rd and then you can coast in the 4th and instead they'd try and sit on a lead to start the half which never really worked out for them and yet Sark kept at it. That's my largest gripe with him is that he didn't seem to learn from that week to week, like Mack hanging on to Greg Davis for a few seasons too many.

I've found peace with Sark -- the team has got better every year and I won't complain about 10+ win seasons. The team is fun to watch. I don't think he's a like, year in and year out competing for championships coach and that's got to be ok, very few are and very few teams are. I think the second half collapses in games this season are on him and just gotta roll with it as he's the best coach since Mack and has the team in a good place.

I think Sark has done a good job with the roster and Texas has the talent to compete, but Sark himself is near James Franklin-levels of horrific in-game coach and Texas won't win the big one with him in charge

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Syracuse hiring Georgia DBs coach Fran Brown as next HC

...sure? I dunno. Not the a name I've seen connected there

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I look forward to him being fired in 3-4 years

General Dog posted:

I can’t help but think there’s some upward mobility for Indiana when they’re sharing a conference with the likes of Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, UCLA, and Nebraska.

All of these programs win way more games than Indiana. Even Northwestern, somehow

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Bob Chesney to JMU confirmed

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Miami also wouldn't have fired Manny when they did if Mario was actually a FSU alum

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Seems like a bit of a lateral move imo aside from money. Sumrall will do well there, but I'm not sure what Tulane will do for his profile that Troy wont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Spacebump posted:

The solution is to have the portal open after bowl season, not get rid of bowl season.

The playoff will only give 1 spot to g5 teams. Eliminating bowl season effectively gives the entire g5 access to 1 post season game. That’d be terrible.

Because the players are nominally students, portal has to be before bowl season for academic stuff