Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is RCS messaging slower than it used to be for anyone else? Like, I frequently send multiple messages in a row and I can see that they are delayed being delivered, where they used to be pretty instant. Feels like I can only get 2 to 4 messages to process in a minute.

The problem feels worse when I use the web client for google messages, but I still notice it directly on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Speaking of Android Auto and adapters, does anyone have familiarity with aftermarket Android Auto devices for cars that didn't come with it? I've been seeing articles that read more like advertisements for the things, but not a lot of details and doing a lot of research myself has been :effort:. This was the most recent one I saw, that prompted the question: https://www.androidpolice.com/android-auto-mesay-folding-touchscreen-deal-stacksocial/

The main thing I wonder is how these things connect to the car's existing stereo, and how well they pick up voice for calls and commands and such. My partner's car is too old to have come with AA, and if a device like this could add it then it seems like it could be a nice gift.

I have one in my lovely van, but not that brand. The one I have is carpuride and it connects either using 1/8 phono plug or it has its own speaker and a built in fm transmitter.

It works well enough. Only complaint is there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the volume for navigation in Android Auto on it, so that is always too quiet compared to the music.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Desk Lamp posted:

Try adjusting the volume when the navigation is talking, it should switch to adjusting navigation volume.

Yeah, that works on my KIA's built in unit, but it doesn't work on this carpuride addin in the van.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Have there been any reliable leaks or rumors about a pixel fold 2 this year?

I am hoping that it is trashed alongside the pixel 9 with comparable specs.

edit: oops, trashed = released

thanks g-board

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 29, 2024

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is there any way through an app or another method that you can Miracast from a pixel 6 pro?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Sad Panda posted:

For those of you with a Pixel 8, how happy are you?

Hardware is good. Normal google bullshit is the same as ever.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

teethgrinder posted:

Pro-tip, you can buy like 30-50 silicone USB-C covers on Amazon for like $5-10. I bought a bag and just hand them out to friends/coworkers with USB-C phones.

Great, something else for me to nervously pick at in my pocket.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

hooah posted:

I just asked the Google Assistant to set a reminder, and it just keeps saying "sorry, I didn't understand", even though the speech to text step went fine. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Try again 4 times and hope that the AI decides that it actually wants to do something.

Seriously, this is why I always stop using Assistant, because it is so inconsistent on what it is going to do. My personal favorite is when I tell it to send a text message to my wife or reply to a message and it says "OK" after I tell it the message and just... doesn't do anything. So many times I have told my wife I am on my way home or given her an update on something only to find out that I left her on read.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

smoobles posted:

On the topic of Chromecast I was wondering if guests at your house can cast to your TV ads-free if you have YT Premium? Or does the person doin the casting need Premium as well to avoid ads.

Thinking of using YouTube for Karaoke where people can use their own device to queue a song

I highly recommend using Karafun for a karaoke party. It's $10 a month (you can cancel after your party) but it's features and functions are SOOOO much better than just using youtube.

You can run it from your phone and cast your tv, you can run it on android TV, on Windows, etc. People can scan a QR code to add them selves to the queue if you want. Even has a neat-o feature were people can upload pictures to your "room" and they will display on the TV in the back ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah my buddies have this and it's great when you have a spontaneous hang that turns into a big drunk night and you can just seamlessly transition into screaming some Deftones or Carly Rae or whatever

Bonnie Taylor - Total Eclipse

Keeping this on thread topic, the Android Karafun app casting to the TV was mind blowing when I first saw it. It only sends the video of the lyrics and animation, but not the app ui. So it's like it is using your TV as a second screen. I haven't seen many other apps that cast video like that.