Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
To add to the OP: some of the Chinese manufacturers like Xaoimi and Huawei won't ship with the Play Store installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I must have been mistaken. For shame!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Right now the only real reason I see to import a Chinese phone to the west is for the gimmicky stuff (like the gaming phones with air triggers) or for the foldables if you don't like either the Samsung or Pixel.

What are air triggers?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

:same:
I just assumed it was scrapped in favour of waiting for Android 14.

Interesting: normally the Pixel security updates are labelled as the 5th of the month; this month's is 1st September.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 19, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Carpet posted:

Turns out I can use my Local Guides 15% discount for the 7a, but I can't also get the current offer of a free Chomecast 4K. However, I can get up to £53 by trading in my 3a, or Cex are offering £70-90 for Grade B and A so might go with them instead.

Are you fixed on buying the phone outright or is A2 year contract an option for you?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Carpet posted:

I haven't looked into contracts as I've currently got a SIM only service with Three Mobile - currently paying £25 for unlimited data but have been considering reducing that to 25GB for £14 as I don't normally use more than that in a month (or even their 120GB plan for £2 more). Looking at their contract deals, the phone is £20 cheaper over 36 months, but the plan costs more overall.

Carphone Warehouse have some of the best deals available, though their network selection is limited to iD Mobile and Vodafone. I think iD Mobile is a virtual mobile operator based on Three, so it's definitely worth checking out.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Carpet posted:

I forgot Carphone Warehouse was a thing. The plan does look good but the Pixel I ordered from the Google Store arrived and I'm using it now :shrug: I'll have to remember them in a few year's time!

Sadly I'd be surprised if Carphone Warehouse (it's now part of Currys) is around in a few years. They used to offer deals with all the major networks, not just beating them on monthly price and data etc. but also offering 2 year contracts instead of 3 year like the networks' native offerings.

bull3964 posted:

https://9to5google.com/2023/09/25/pixel-8-actua-display/

A few more leaks. P8P is apparently going to have a display that can hit 2600nits of peak brightness and is a full 1-120hz LTPO panel. It also looks like the Pro is getting matte back glass finally. That's something sorely missed from the Pixel 4.

Any leaks on the regular 8 screen? I'm not convinced it's what drains my battery more than I think it should, especially where I work (100% at 0800, 68% by 1700, with very little use - I think the radios are just fighting with the tin box building I work in), but a 1Hz screen would still be pretty sweet.

bull3964 posted:

Also, even after the better part of a decade collecting these health metrics, I still really don't know what to do with them or how knowing them helps me in any way.

How else are you meant to prove you slept like poo poo unless your fitness tracker tells you?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Seems like there may be other reasons to skip the Pros this year in iPhone land anyways. Looks like the marketers got ahead of the engineers in using titanium and made the phone suffer for it outside of overall weight. This year's iPhone 15 Pro MAX is the first iPhone since bend gate to fall the JerryRigEverything bend tests and there have already been reports of worse drop resistance due to the frame (on top of scratches galore).

Also reports of poor yields from TSMC's 3nm process mean Apple have had to accept a lower standard of chip, resulting in significant heat and therefore throttling in the A17 Probiotic. Interesting times.

I really loved the orange Pixel 4 colour. Never owned one but the black camera array made a nice contrast with the orange.

Edit: might as well ask here since it's a wealth of experienced goons. Thankfully, the coalescence around USB C is taking a step forward with the new range of iPhones. I know there are a thousand charging standards that USB C can potentially cover, but is PPS just another proprietary standard or is it moving towards being able to adjust the standards based upon the device(s) it's charging?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 25, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It's part of USB-C PD 3.0 and 3.1 as an optional component.

So, it's very much standards compliant, but you also can't assume watt=watt.

For example, Samsung requires ~4amp for their 45w charging. So, is not enough that it be a 45w charger, it has to be able to hit 45w in the volt/amp combo that the device wants and you have to use a 5amp cable or it will max out around 27w as it hits the 3amp limit on the phone's voltage limit.

So some phones choose amps to fast charge, some choose volts. If a cable can handle a decent combo of those two, and the charger has PPS, it's likely any phone will charge at its fastest?

I got this earlier this month and so far as I can tell my iPad Pro 2022, iPhone SE 2020, and Pixel 7 all seem to like it. The Pixel 7 definitely displays that it's charging rapidly when plugged in. The iPad Pro charges so much faster than my original iPad Pro.

I also bought a few of these on recommendation from the thread. I think those are particularly nicely liked by different devices and standards?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Not necessarily. There are many 45w and 60w PPS chargers that top out at 3 amps. It was notable this year when the Anker Ace 45w came out that it could do Samsung Super Fast Charge 2.0 because the 2.0 means >3a. Before that, you almost only got greater than 3a if you went with a PPS charger that could do 100w on a single port.

Pixel 7 pro will do the charge rapidly toast so long as it can negotiate 18w or higher, so that by itself can't be used to determine the charge protocols (the OG pixel 18w adapter will give a charge rapidly toast on the Pixel 7 Pro.)

Samsung will say "Fast Charging" so long as it's 15w. "Super Fast Charging" means it can do at least 25w while Super Fast Charging 2.0 means 45w.

I've found my S23U is a great quick way to test my cables to see which ones are 5A capable. Plug it into one of my PPS 100w adapters and if I get the 2.0 toast, it's a 5A cable. If it's just Super Fast Charging, I know it's only a 3A cable.

For example, the Anker Ace has this published for its PPS parameters. The first grouping is what's relevant for the Samsung Super Fast Charging 2.0 since it's about 10v@4.5a at the max.

PPS: 3.3V-11V 5A /3.3V-16V 3A /
3.3V-21V 2.25A (45W Max)

The other thing that PPS does is allow the amps and volts to change dynamically without having to handshake again in small increments.

Jesus Christ you're a wealth of knowledge. Would probably help if I could get my head around volts, amps and watts.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The American mobile operators sound like a selection of mouldy milk.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bless the :spergin:

Higher number is always better

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mental Hospitality posted:

Someone got their hands on a Pixel 8 Pro already.
https://youtube.com/shorts/fsAUjOqnOm0?si=wccvoJ0MMNQhobzT

According to the poster, it retains the optical fp scanner. Might still use the same GN1 sensor for the main camera as well. I personally am just super hyped for the new display and it looks like the G3 might be a pretty decent SoC this year.

Any particular leaks on the G3? All I've seen is generic stuff that could have been written a year ago.

I say this every year, but I'm going to try to sit out the 8. My main disappointment with the 7 is the battery life, at least when I'm in work. It's not too bad at home on WiFi but the battery gets absolutely bungalowed otherwise. I'd love to see the regular 8 get one of those sweet sweet LTPO screens that go down to 1Hz but that's probably not going to happen until the Pixel 9 or 10, I imagine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Another great post, you magnificent beast.

The CPU part of phone chips has felt great to me for the past few years. Probably in the area of diminishing returns in that regard, but I suppose the machine learning, onboard AI, language stuff can always use a bump. Can never have shutter speed too fast etc. I'd love to see battery life match or exceed the likes of the Snapdragon 765G in the Pixel 5, I take it that's just not on the cards for the flagship SoCs?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ooh, regular 8 has a 120Hz screen and is 600 nits brighter...

No WattsvilleBlues, stop that.

Bigger battery, I wonder if battery life is improved...

Is there any point spamming my update button for Android 14 on my Pixel 7, or should I just side load it and be done?

Edit: Must have just been pushed at 1900 BST, downloading now. 1.90GB.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress I want the 8 Pro, what is wrong with me other than everything

CLAM DOWN my son, we are the hungry whores that marketing departments dream of. We're just eagerly taking that sauce all over our loving faces.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

We won't know anything about battery until things get into user hands (and even then outliers are going to be the most vocal so heaps of salt.)

But the SoC is more efficient (both in process node and ARM Cortex models) and the displays should be more efficient (especially the Pro's LTPO.)

Any particular reason you think the regular 8's display will be more efficient?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mental Hospitality posted:

I like the new Android 14 lock screen styles. The vertical info theme on the AOD looks very sharp. Also, is predictive back still something that needs to be enabled in developer options? I thought that was going to be a system wide thing on the public version but I haven't noticed it in action.

Predictive back does indeed need enabled in developer options!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Interesting, the Pixel 8 Pro has a slightly lower screen resolution than the 7 Pro:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Pixel-8-Pro,Google-Pixel-7-Pro/phones/12144,11907

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I wonder why the base Pixels have slightly reduced screen size from the 6?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Resolution is a settled factor these days. Unless you're pixel peeping, most phones look fine in that regard. I really wish the regular 8 had that LTPO screen, 1Hz is crazy.

Android 14 has added back screen on time since last full charge, I don't know why the hell they took it away in the first place. I'm on 7 hours now with 10% left on my Pixel 7, not as bad as I thought it would be. It'll be interesting to see what it's like in work tomorrow, where battery life goes to die.

Edit: YouTube is reporting 2h 22m background activity. I don't have YouTube Premium, so what the hell is it doing in the background?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 5, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

I may be missing something obvious but that stuff isn't regulated, is it? Isn't it just Google deciding whatever level of security they can achieve with a single cam is good enough? It's not independently verified or whatever, is what I'm trying to say.

I take it won't work to unlock your phone in the dark, or with too little light?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Anyone else have several Google Play system updates available in a row? I upgraded to Android 14 on my Pixel 6 yesterday, and today thought I'd check to see if there were Play updates, and there was - 4 in a row. I'd install one, restart the phone, check again, find another update, rinse and repeat.

Do the Play updates function more old-school in that you have to install updates in order and I somehow just had a backlog? Or did they release several as a follow-on to Android 14?

Standard. I factory reset my Pixel 7 last night because I got a lot of UI stutter after the Android 14 update, and Google Play system update was back to July. About 4 updates and restarts later, I'm up to September.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Got great battery life on my Pixel 7 today, I reset to factory settings a few days after Android 14 dropped as I was getting a lot of UI stuttering. Can't compare it directly to Android 13 since it didn't have the screen on time since last full charge metric.

Hopefully the battery lasts a lot longer in work tomorrow when I'll be in 5G.

Any idea why YouTube has so much background activity? I have it restricted under App battery usage.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pixel 8 in blue, Galaxy S23 in red.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BabyFur Denny posted:

That's just confirmation bias and stuff like that gets posted every single update. Phones would be pushing 24h SoT if it were true.

Although I couldn't do a definite like-for-like comparison, my screen on time is definitely better than on Android 13 in the house on WiFi.

Battery life still sucks at work though.

That's 13 hours on battery.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Another trip report on battery life on Pixel 7 with Android 14. There's not much interest in the thread on this but oh well.

The dismal battery life I got yesterday in work (which I was also getting with Android 13) seems to have been the Wi-Fi being switched on but not logged in to the work network. Today I had Wi-Fi switched off and ran the phone on 5G, and left after 7 hours on 82% battery and about 15 minutes screen on time.

On Android 13, the 5G-only battery life tanked only a little more slowly than with Wi-Fi on but not connected. So I think I can take from this that the 5G radio has had some special sauce applied.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Two whiskey-scented tears trickled down the sides of my nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. I had won the victory over myself. I loved Pixel 8.

While I'm pleasantly shocked to see the dramatic battery improvements in my Pixel 7 with Android 14, I think it's time I accept I'm just a fly around the poo poo of new product launches.

The way I'm justifying it to myself is this: I have 2x 2-year contracts that run 12 months apart. My normal idea is to get a new contract every 12 months while closing the one that just ended. Theoretically, I sell my previous phone and whatever the offer is for the pre-order that year, and use that money to pay off the vast majority of the next 12 month contract, or just suck it up and treat myself to a few bottles of Redbreast.

This last year I took the road less travelled and have had 2 contracts this past 12 months. Thing is, I can get around £240 on trade-in for my Pixel 7, and selling the Pixel Buds Pro (which I have from last year's offer) for £150 would take care of the buy-out of my next 12 months contract. So I'd have the latest version of the device I use most in my life for only a little pain in the rear end.

Good thing is I can wait on the reviews to come in for the 8 since the Pixel Buds Pro offer is valid to 16th October, so if it turns out to be a hand warmer or battery bitch, I can bail out.

Destroy me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

gourdcaptain posted:

One weird minor issue is they force ahead of time compilation on apps which mostly makes app installs take slightly longer, but on the update to Android 14 that was pushed today to stable brought back the dreaded "Optimizing Apps: 1 of 189" screen from old versions of Android during the update reboot.

If it's any consolation, installing a major version update to a Pixel takes as long as a 12MB security patch for some reason.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tremors posted:

If someone happened to spill soda on their phone what's the best product to use to get the buttons unsticky? Rubbing alcohol?

Assuming the phone is IP68 water resistant I would personally just swish it around in some warm water and washing up liquid.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

UncleGuito posted:

I've been lucky enough to test the Pixel 8 Pro for the past few months - here are some impressions!

- It's certainly the most premium feeling Pixel device to date. It almost kinda feels like an iPhone with the sturdiness of the build quality. There's no hollowness here and the weight combined with the materials definitely feel like an upgrade vs the 7 Pro.
- The haptics are significantly better. They are more pronounced and are easily noticeable in your pocket, etc.
- The screen is also an upgrade (not to mention the flat display improved usability for me). The pixels seem closer to the glass and the brightness can crank up pretty far in direct sunlight.
- The cameras, as expected, are fantastic. The biggest improvements for me were in macro, wide angle, and night sight photos. Macro especially can achieve some insane results, and both wide angle and night shots produce less noise and lens flare.
- The new Magic Editor tools are nuts. The feature to cut an object and move it to a different part of the photo has worked flawlessly in my tests and I have no clue how it works so well. Audio Magic Eraser also works really well and I can see it being super helpful.
- Performance wise, it's a bit snappier than the 7 Pro but I don't really do gaming or intensive stuff with my phone so this wasn't a huge area of interest to me. I've only ever had to reboot the phone for software updates and I haven't had to force close anything or mess with non-default settings.
- Battery life seems a bit better than the 7 Pro and idle battery life drain is improved - although not sure if this is more related to Android 14 optimizations than the actual hardware.
- It can still get warm at times under heavy load. It's not as frequent or noticeable as the 7 Pro but still present when using Android Auto, setting up the phone, or intensive AI stuff. It hasn't gotten warm during normal use (browsing, videos, etc).

Let me know if there's anything else you're curious about!

You lucky beggar. What's call quality like? How's the earpiece? Have you been able to use the video feature where it's sent to Google for post processing? What sort of screen on time are you getting?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

UncleGuito posted:

Call quality has been great so far. Super clear and no issues with Verizon. Also haven't noticed any issues with 5G like my 7 Pro. I don't think the video thing is arriving til later this year? SOT is usually around 6.5 hours - easily lasts the day.

I haven't tried much video but can do some tests today. MKBHD published a car video earlier today that showcases a huge improvement in video quality (apparently better than the latest iphones) but the audio struggled with the wind.

The buttons are clicky and sturdy. Not quite iPhone level but better than the vast majority of other Android phones (including previous Pixels).

Another thing to note on photos: the shutter speed or processing seem to be significantly improved to the point where moving subjects (dogs, kids, etc) often come out just fine with little to no blurring.

Face unlock is also finally here for payments and authentication - it works really well.

Thanks son. Does the face unlock work in the dark?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

UncleGuito posted:

Unfortunately no.

Didn't think so, shame. How is the fingerprint sensor compared to the Pixel 7's?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS8x2TicxQ8

Talks about the product segmentation stuff and the fingerprint reader (which I have the opposite experience with), but overall very very positive review. He basically places it right alongside the flagshipiest of flagships.

What's his daily driver, if he has such a thing given his line of work?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Has anyone in the thread gone from a Pixel 7 to an 8?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Kirios posted:

NGL Android 14 has been my favorite major upgrade in a few years.

How so?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nova has more or less been abandoned since it was sold. I'm gutted, so I just use the default launcher now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

While I am here: Has there been any info on weather the 8a will have the temp sensor?

I'm just speculating but I doubt it will have one. The A series are generally cut down versions of the regular models rather than having any features exclusive to the Pro (and formerly XL) models.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pixel 7, which is now a piece of poo poo since the 8 is out, is down to £405 on Amazon UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Messages offering to auto-delete 2FA codes after 24 hours must be new with Android 14? Honestly that kind of thing is my favorite kind of new phone feature, somebody just noticing a small, easily solvable annoyance and fixing it.

Where's that option located?

Also, not an Android question but I'll ask anyway. A few days ago I got an Authentication prompt for my main email address, location being in China(supposedly). I refused the request and immediately changed my password to a 128 character one generated by my password manager.

I checked Have I Been Pwned and neither my email address nor my old password have shown up in any breaches. Any ideas how this could have happened?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 16, 2023