Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dumb Android question: my mom is going to fly out to Europe and stick a random SIM into her Pixel phone. Will there be any security stuff (asking for additional passwords, etc) she (and by extension, I) will have to deal with?

She didn't have a smartphone last time she flew out there. I haven't gone out there in 20 years, so I also didn't have a smartphone at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

No. But instead of a physical SIM she should be using an eSIM that you can install on her phone before she leaves. I use the Airalo app

I will have to learn about eSIMs, I guess. Dang, that's a low price (looking at Airalo)!

I am going to go for a week and was just gonna eat the $10/day Verizon is charging, but, drat...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Not smartphone related, but she uses Rebtel and calls her sisters for hours and hours for $12/month. When we were growing up, it'd cost dollars per minute. poo poo, we'd pay extra to call California from Illinois when I was a kid.

My dad's sister would have to go to the only phone in the neighborhood (at the post office) to talk with my dad.

Technology!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

poo poo, my whole family is on Android, but my mom is not tech savvy and loves taking video instead of photos, so she'll film like three minutes of something and then text me and it looks fine on her end and doesn't get why I just see a handful of pixels on my end.

Or she'll get something via WhatsApp and forward it to me via SMS (I'm on WhatsApp, too!) and same thing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bull3964 posted:

If everyone is on Android, why aren't you using RCS for texts?

My mom and I are. I don't think my sis is? My sister's and mine messages are not. I never asked her if she has that option or not, she's on her own phones and plan with her family, I'm not going around asking them what settings they're using. I'm "in charge" of my mom's tech stuff, so her phone is toggled on.

(I don't think I have gotten a long video sent to just me, but to the family group text)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just got a Pixel 7a and within minutes realized how I'm so used to swiping down on the fingerprint reader on the back of my Pixel 4a to see my notifications. I didn't even think about how I do that. Let's see how long not being able to do this annoys me...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Resdfru posted:

I just swipe down from anywhere on screen to see notifications and up from anywhere on screen to open app drawer. Is that a android thing or a Samsung thing? https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mobile-devices/opening-the-notification-panel-by-swiping-anywhere-on-the-screen/

Yeah, I noticed this while playing around. I'll be using that. I'm just more surprised by how much I am used to swiping down on the back as I never thought about it. It's just second nature.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Serotoning posted:

That said people who use full punctuation in texting will forever weird me out and probably deserve Punishment.

With SwiftKey, putting in a punctuation autocompletes the word and adds a space. Using punctuation is faster for me!

Edit: and autocapitalizes the next word!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Somewhat related, got a new phone, using SwiftKey, everything is fine except now when I copy something, "paste" is one of the three suggestions for what word I am typing. I've never had that happen on my old phone and I'd rather just have a third suggestion and long press on the screen to do the pasting.

What do I need to toggle to turn that off?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Resdfru posted:

Hm is it the word 'paste' or is it the content on your clipboard? I just tested and mine also shows the copied content in the suggestions in center and once I start typing it will be the right most suggestion for a few words and then goes away. I actually like that and sometimes it doesn't show up there and it annoys me. I don't see any options for enabling or disabling that though

The copied content.

Weird, never got that on my Pixel 4a. Guess I'll learn to live with it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Can't seem to post to imgur, but going into the phone app info, notifications, and scrolling all the way down, there's an option to "Allow full screen notifications". My guess that is what you want to toggle off, but I haven't tried it myself.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

I can't find that setting. But there does seem to be the option for turning off notifications on a locked screen in general. Which I'm guessing might mean it just vibrates? I'll give it a go.

I think that's for missed calls and the like, not the pop up that a call is coming in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah it's really only a problem when both the location and name are changed. If it's the name then you can work it out, if it's the location you can search for it.

This is my phone, Pixel 7a running Android 14.

"App Info" in the settings (or long tap on the phone icon).

Tapping on "Notifications".

Scrolling all the way down.

I think unchecking "Allow full screen notifications" is what you want, but I have not tried it.

As for how to automate turning it on and off depending on where you are, I'm sure there's an app for that, but I don't know.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My nieces came over and I showed them my new phone.

:j: Is that an iPhone or Samsung?
:v: It's a Pixel, made by Google.
:j: Google makes phones now?!
:eng99:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I just aged into an old man remembering when Google announced their first phones. it must have been fifteen years ago.

Longer than they've been alive!

:corsair:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 21, 2024

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I only use voice to set timers, but one time it went:
"Set timer for 5 minutes."
"Okay, sending message to Jeremiah. What is the message?"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I use Hyperion, but it seems to have a bug where sometimes the home screen doesn't interact until I do a swipe.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

DeusIgnis posted:

US Google Fi customer, Pixel 8 Pro. Still no March update for me

Ah, it's nice having a new phone and being annoyed about slow updates. I've gotten used to having an old phone and never getting updates.

Been noticing the weather on my lock screen being super wrong. Like, telling me it's going to be 20F warmer than it's going to be. I assumed it just hadn't updated this morning, but I clicked on it, it opened the weather app (where it's correct), started showing the correct weather forecast, then went back predicting it's going to be 20F warmer an hour later.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

I just went traveling and used eSims for the first time and it's an absolute game changer. I'll be using Airalo from now on, the whole process was incredibly easy and beats the hell out of finding physical sims in shops and trying not to lose the one I came with!

I was told about Airalo a month ago in this thread and have a question about it! I'm going to install it on my mom's phone this weekend for her Poland trip on Monday. I wasn't able to see: is this something that will swap automatically when she flies out or something that can be toggled before she goes or something she'll have to deal with when she lands? Not sure about the proper steps to switch over.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Failed Imagineer posted:

they all seem to be routed through Eastern Europe or something.

Well, she'll be in Eastern Europe, so!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Aware posted:

maybe the pixel has the same?

Similar. Adaptive Charging.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7106961?visit_id=638469247179624489-916449495&p=adaptive_charging&rd=1#adaptive_charging

Learns when you charge and when you use and switches to slow charging when it can (eg, plugging in when you sleep).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

In the "recents" section, tap the name/number of the call whose info you want to see.

Then tap on History.

Sorry, imgur is giving me trouble uploading screenshots.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

My Galaxy Note10 is acting up. The screen isn't registering some touch input, namely trying to unlock the phone. Sometimes the fingerprint icon appears on a black screen, sometimes the screen stays black entirely or the clock is visible in the corner, somewhat bizarre behaviour like hanging on a blurry home screen. It's sort of slowing down on button input too.

Is it dying? Is there anything I can do short of another factory reset to fix this? I turned off finger print recognition and accidental touch protection, it's still behaving weirdly. I'll try cleaning out the memory, it could be cluttered?

EDIT: It appears to be getting worse. Double-tapping the screen wakes it but there's no swipe option. Perfect timing, I just started chatting with a really nice girl on a dating app. :(

Do you have a case on the phone? Is there some gunk between it and the screen?

I've had to take off the case and wipe down my phone quite a few times when it was doing stuff like this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

I was told about Airalo a month ago in this thread and have a question about it! I'm going to install it on my mom's phone this weekend for her Poland trip on Monday. I wasn't able to see: is this something that will swap automatically when she flies out or something that can be toggled before she goes or something she'll have to deal with when she lands? Not sure about the proper steps to switch over.

One more Airlo question. :confuoot:

Does it auto renew at the end of the month? If not, will buying a second month require setting up a new eSIM or something that will just work?

They're website is not clear and emailing support was not helpful.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 13, 2024

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife was having absolute hell trying to have her doctor call her over a week or so. She couldn't call in or join a pre-scheduled call, he would only call her and she missed his calls due to this over and over and over again. We thought it was due to WiFi calling, we don't have cell coverage, but we never had issues before this.

Huh, that probably explains why I was confused by the email I got from my doc yesterday saying they couldn't get ahold of me. They probably DID try calling on Tuesday like they said they would.

:argh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Huh, that probably explains why I was confused by the email I got from my doc yesterday saying they couldn't get ahold of me. They probably DID try calling on Tuesday like they said they would.

:argh:

Got an update a couple of days ago, but missed two calls so far this morning.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Got an update a couple of days ago, but missed two calls so far this morning.

Got another update today. It had red text at the top saying that I could snooze the alert, but only for a few days, then it will be installed. I don't remember ever seeing a message like that before. (it was first thing in the morning and I was half asleep don't remember the exact text). Hopefully my phone will start ringing for incoming phone calls reliably!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

Might sound patronizing, but you can turn on the Samsung “Easy Mode” in the settings and then restrict apps other than the ones she actually wants to use. Doesn’t really do what you’re asking, but it definitely makes it simpler for a first time user.

Don't know Samsung, but a very important thing on my mom's phone was to remove as much stuff as possible from the pull down menu. She'd be constantly turning off Wi-Fi or going into Airplane Mode while fumbling around.