Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

People at the more cynical end of the spectrum were expecting Space Skyrim, or Space Fallout.

Joke's on you, what you got is Space Daggerfall, a game that extols the virtue of how loving implausibly big it is while 98% of its content is copy-pasted boxes that are a chore to actually play. Just a series of theretically interesting places you fast-travel to from a menu because its all separated by functionally infinite procgenned nothing.

Except Daggerfall:

a) Had some variety of playstyle coming from its procgen, like joining knightly orders or witch covens or whatever

b) Its actual plot had some interesting weirdness to it, like the king whose affair went so far off the rails he became an evil ghost, or the multiple factions having actual elaborate schemes and power-plays you could unravel, or a trippy pocket dimension housing an Ancient Dwarven Evangelion that Fantasy Julius Caesar used to conquer the world once

c) Didn't cost a billion dollars to make, or cost 70 dollars to buy :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Everything this game does (short of the FPS looter-shooter dross) is done better by Starsector, a 2D game still in early access made by a half-dozen person dev team that you can buy for like 15 bucks :lol:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

They called the generic space enemies spacers.

What the gently caress even IS a "Spacer" anyway?

Like I know what a Pirate is, I get why they'd want to shoot me on sight. I get what a Mercenary is, though why THEY would want to shoot me on sight is a bit more contextual. I can eventually figure out what the deal is with the Snake God Cultists or whatever, there's lore about those guys, and I get why they wanna murder infidels or whatever.

But who the hell are these Spacer guys? Are they like the Reavers from Firefly where they succumbed to ~space madness~ and just went indiscriminately kill-crazy?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Spacers are just unaffiliated pirates effectively.

Oh, so just Space Banditos, I see.

Also their name sounds a little bit like a really uncreative futuristic racial slur.

"Goddamn Spacers, they ruined space! :bahgawd:"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I know it got made fun of when they did it in other Bethesda games, but do they have any celebrity guest stars in this? Other than Armin Shimmerman playing a space-businessman but not a cool alien like Quark, just some douchebag in a space-business suit?

Say what you will about them blowing their budget to get a guy to record maybe five minutes of dialogue, but Patrick Stewart as Uriel Septim at least was memorable, got a big opening monologue for the intro cutscene, some cool lines, "close shut the jaws of Oblivion" and all that. Max von Sydow as the head Greybeard was cool, Charles Martinet as Paarthurnax was cool.

Whose the character with cool memorable line reads in this game?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I love how they decided to place their game in the most boring era of their new sci-fi universe. Like if they'd moved the plot 20 or so years earlier there'd be a war featuring Libertarian space cowboys piloting Gundams, the Space Fascists and their bioengineered war-monstrosities, and active conflict with the fanatical theocracy and their hungry extradimensional Snake God.

Instead it's set now, when the Gundams are all decommissioned junk, the biohorrors are mostly dead, and the Snake Cultists are so isolationist you can't even go to their planet and just stumble upon the odd covert terror cell.

Nobody even gives a poo poo about exploring space anymore, everyone has enough space, Constellation is a joke organization that people respect out of nostalgia for a bygone, more interesting age.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Boldly going where no one has gone before... except for whatever loser plonked down a pre-fab building full of pencil cases and succulents, that's currently full of yet more dickhead pirates.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Night City quests also make sense for the setting. The Freestar quests end with you killing Bob Hope because he wants 50sqm of farm land with minerals on it, in a sci fi setting where there are large numbers of planets where he could put his magic mineral fertiliser without the expense of hiring a bunch of mercenaries. it's just a bad western trope transported into a sci fi setting where none of the assumptions of that trope make sense.

Couldn't he just go to... the other side of the planet? It's a whole loving planet, how do these people still bitch about lebensraum or whatever?

Ah well, I can't give them too much poo poo for that, Star Trek does this all the time too, where every group of a couple hundred assholes have to claim a whole planet, and god forbid anyone else settle on it. Every individual person MUST have an area of arable land the size of Maine all to themselves, and not one square inch less!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I was harsh when I called this Daggerfall In Space, and I must correct myself.

It's Arena in Space.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

vaginite posted:

Is there any spaceship pew pew game that has proper space physics like outer wilds did? That game was so fun to fly in once you got the hang of it. The existential crisis about your blink of an eye meaningless existence was cool too, but more looking for spaceship lasers.

Children of a Dead Earth did space combat with Newtonian physics, it turns out it requires a decent knowledge of orbital mechanics to plot intercept courses where you get within a few kilometers of your target and just spray lasers and railgun shots in the general vicinity of the other guy and hope their ship overheats from you loving up their radiators faster than YOUR ship overheats from outputting that much energy as laser beams and poo poo

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Robobot posted:

No dogs or cats is one of the most believable things about the emergency evacuation of earth. Why bring three dogs or six cats when you could bring another person? Why waste very limited resources on pets?

Why we couldn’t have alien dogs or cats though, that’s the question. Design a couple fun alien pets. Isn’t even that hard. Just make something with big eyes and a happy smirk with too few or too many legs and call it a day.

Mozi posted:

i mean you could even have just brought some dog hair and reconstituted them from the DNA afterwards

They cloned Amelia Earhart and Genghis Khan and poo poo, they could have de-extinctified dogs

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

If we were evacuating the Earth I would put any random flea-riddled stray mutt off the street onto the ship over literally every single SA poster combined including myself and you all would agree I was making the right choice

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Robobot posted:

No, in fact I’d prefer to have pets in space as well since I like dogs. But I could see if such a far fetched situation ever happened people might not be given the option to bring their pets.

I just find it a weird gripe is all. It’s an exploration game with no exploration. I’m more annoyed there’s no cool caves or research facilities or environmental storytelling more so than not being able to see poorly modeled cats falling through the floor of my ship or a dog clipping into a shelf and sending dozens of books flying around the room at light speed…….you know what, I’m wrong. There should have been dogs and cats in the game.

It's less that specific gripe, and more that it's a thing you can point to that's emblematic of the larger problem: Bethesda made a universe of dead-eyed boring cultureless homunculi, and rather than, you know, not do that, they made lore that lazily justified it after the fact

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It is interesting that the modding community seems pretty anemic for this game. Part of that is just that the official modding tools haven't been released yet so the barrier for entry is high. But another is just that, ironically, it's too much of a blank canvas. A big reason people make and use mods for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games is that they have stuff that fires up the imagination while still being tantalizingly vague and incomplete. There's stuff that inspires creative energy, that makes you want more.

Starfield is in contrast an infinitely large bowl of gray oatmeal. There's endless stuff that you feel no desire to build off of. If you just wanted to gently caress around in a game engine and make whatever you want without guidance in a void, that's what Garry's Mod is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Can you have sex with the poutine

Yes, as is portrayed in the hit teen sex comedy Canadian Pie