Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my feeling based on no specific facts is that after morrowind there was a split between the people who contributed the weirder experimental stuff and the people who wanted to just make oblivion a safe hit on xbox and the former left and they never really recaptured that afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

super sweet best pal posted:

They still try to get into the weird side from time to time in the Elder Scrolls Online expansions, though I feel like they don't do that great a job of it.

that's a completely different studio i think

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

was bethesda funded almost entirely by russian oligarch money back in the day, or did i hallucinate that?

You did.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

They would have to rewrite and rebuild it from scratch because nothing in Morrowind plays or feels like any of the newer games. The dialogue system? Total overhaul. Map design? Lol, total overhaul, nobody would put up with the bullshit of vivec city nowadays. And of course all the mechanics are dangerously uNbAlAnCeD

it's more about the experimental and weird spirit of the game that seems like it would be tough for them to recreate (remake or not)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i think you are being very charitable to fallout 2 there

it has lots of dialogue options (well, the 'stupid' path and the normal path) but i wouldn't call it dynamic really

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
F2 was good but that's also just how cRPGs were expected to be at least to a large extent before everyone got used to them being dumbed down and railroaded (where the illusion of player choice was preferable to the real thing)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
well i mean modding (like including the creation engine with morrowind) is a big reason for their success, so

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
wow maybe the real ghouls are humans... makes you think

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i call it starfeld because it reaches the same dizzying heights of virtuosic excellence as gutfeld

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Morrowind is very much a game that's better to read about than to play. Like even story-wise, there's all this conceptually interesting lore, but the way the game dumps it at you in paragraphs of monotonous bullshit makes it miserable to experience first-hand

Play the game without reading, then read about it later.

All I did in Morrowind was screw around. I don't think I ever finished the main quest.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
even Apollo 13 had plenty of duct tape

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the problem with actual Newtonian physics in a space dogfighting game is you just fly really fast at each other, decelerate, turn around and repeat

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i mean you could even have just brought some dog hair and reconstituted them from the DNA afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it was a misunderstanding, people though they were voting for it for Most Enervative Gameplay