Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

derp posted:

is schadenfreude really just 'enjoying bad things happening to people'?

Pretty much yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

What is an "escape room business"?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
edit: ^^^ yep

Kit Walker posted:

Animals get drunk in the wild all the time. Ain’t like the bird thought it was water

Yeah, but is not hard liquor what they get drunk from. If that’s vodka, the bird might have died of alcohol poisoning a bit after this video

When I was a kid my cousin had a hamster and we thought it would be funny to put some cachaça for him to drink. The rodent took a few sips of it and started walking funny like a drunk in his cage and we laughed and then he just fell sideways and was dead, and we weren’t laughing anymore

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Sep 30, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

In her defense, that doesn’t looks very safe. Put a very semaphore at least, deaf people also exists

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
People get distracted, for me it seems not a bad idea to have a very visible red light or something like that to indicate a train is coming

We have that for cars, when a road cross a rail, why not for pedestrians?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Johnny Truant posted:

Dang they probably should not do that around a literal train crossing then huh

Yeah, thats what a a blinking red light could help to prevent

edit: or that

Non Compos Mentis posted:

maybe some sort of gate that lowered when the tram is on its way through would have prevented that

Well, maybe it is common have trains crossing crowed pedestrian paths with no barriers or anything where you guys live, personally I never saw that, probably thats why it seems weirdly dangerous for me

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Oct 5, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Alright, fair enough. I stupidly thought it was regular train just fortunately going slow, not a tram

Anyway this discussion reminded me of this famous street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3oaAjH2nC8

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cant sail there mate

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lmao

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

What was he even trying to achieve

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Thanks to this thread I’ve come to expect shadenfreud whenever I see one of these

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Captain Hygiene posted:

No, scientists have confirmed that cats are real

I dont believe it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8m7QnFi2Oo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr. Nice! posted:

The thing about a pet tortoise is you better have someone to will it to because it’s going to outlive you.

That’s a plus for me cause losing animals you love is always very sad and almost all another animals we can have as pets live a lot less than we do

I never had a tortoise myself but a friend of mine had when I was a kid and I don’t remember it smelling bad. At least it wanst a strong odor at all

They are very discreet animals, you can forget they exist if you don’t actively look for it, specially if you have a garden or yard for it to live. Which you should, I don’t think they work as apartment pets (perhaps in a closed environment it can smell bad or leave bad odors everywhere)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

freeedr posted:

People say chicken coops always stink like poo poo but I clean mine weekly and it just smells like dust. My cats’ litter box reeks like poo poo squared every morning until I clean it and I’ll never have cats again.

Chicken poo poo smells almost good anyway

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Captain Hygiene posted:

Some light farm-y smell alongside fresh straw isn't bad. A chicken coop needing to be cleaned at the height of a midwest heat wave is a different story...

I have one in tropical weather, but my chickens only sleep there, they spend their days roaming in the grass

So they dont poo poo inside the coop all that much

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Why theres even a barrier there? Seems to be a public street

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Freudian slippers posted:

Probably to stop these bike maniacs from murdering pedestrians, if the available documentation of their velocity and spatial awareness is to be believed.

Those drat murderous biking kids

Unperson_47 posted:

I call bullshit on not dropping turds an entire month.

edit: My mistake; somehow I read that as them not taking a poo poo for the entire month they were in Australia.

Turns out I'm the bullshit. It was me.

Not an entire month, but when I was 20 years old I backpacked through Bolivia and Peru for around 40 days. It was my first trip like that and I found I had difficulty making GBS threads in this situation (changing places almost everyday, often camping).

In those 40 days I had 4 shits. And all of them took some hours of effort

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Nov 29, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tree Bucket posted:

And very unlike travelling goons

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fishstick posted:

Dry brine before you decide to climb thru a 1ft pipe
https://i.imgur.com/YWZYUTf.mp4

Cant nap there mate

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Daily Star has the full story but they're not exactly the most reliable source and I couldn't find the story in a legitimate news outlet

E: the Daily Mail had a completely different version of the story and they link back to an article that looks pretty legit from RTnews

The story is different but in both stories, the guy was drunk and has no idea how he ended up in the situation

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Upsidads posted:

Fliiiiight riiiiisk

I totally expect him to be a candidate for congress in Brazil next year

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rubberduke posted:

I would agree with any other animal but pigeons are idiots who suck.

Turn on your monitor

Pigeons are highly intelligent and fascinating animals

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FreudianSlippers posted:

If they're so cool they wouldn't all be dead.

They arent though? Birds are dinosaurs

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, science says they are smart

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-asymmetric-brain/201907/the-surprising-neuroscience-pigeon-intelligence

quote:

Pigeons can discriminate Picasso paintings from Monets. In 1995, Japanese scientists tested the visual abilities of pigeons in an unusual way: They showed the birds paintings by Picasso and Monet (Watanabe et al., 1995). Pigeons were trained to discriminate between photographs of Monet and Picasso paintings. They had no problems doing this. Then they were tested with other pictures by the two artists they had never seen before. Still, the birds had no problem discriminating between the artworks. Fascinatingly, the birds were also able to discriminate between the works of other Cubist artists and other Impressionist artists. This shows that pigeons can categorize complex man-made artworks and even discriminate between two art movements—something even some humans without a background in art history might have problems with.

Pigeons can detect cancer in radiology images. Another unusual experiment on the amazing visual abilities of pigeons was conducted in 2015: Here, the authors tested whether pigeons were able to discriminate benign from malignant human breast tumors in medical images (Levenson et al., 2015). Human medical professionals go through years of highly specialized training before they can reliably detect cancer. Using food rewards, the birds were trained to discriminate between pictures of malignant and benign tissue samples. Later they were shown novel images from both categories and were still able to discriminate between malignant and benign tissue samples. Thus, although detecting breast cancer in medical images is a task that requires considerable training and is very difficult for inexperienced humans, pigeons showed a remarkable ability to make the correct diagnosis. Of course, no clinic will ever use pigeons in medical diagnostics, but the experiment clearly shows how impressive the visual abilities of these birds are.

Pigeons are on par with primates when it comes to counting. When asked which group of animals is the most intelligent, most people will probably answer primates, the order of animals that contains apes like chimpanzees and gorillas and monkeys like baboons and macaques. But did you know that the numerical abilities of pigeons are on par with that of primates? In a 2011 study, researchers from the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand, investigated whether pigeons showed the ability to learn abstract numerical rules (Scarf et al., 2011). Many animal species have been shown to be able to discriminate between different numbers, e.g., 2 and 20 food pellets. This is an easy task that even insects like honeybees can solve. However, up to that point only primates had been shown to be able to solve more complex mathematical problems like counting from one to nine. The New Zealand researchers presented the birds with sets of visual figures that always contained one, two, and three objects. The birds were trained to respond to the stimuli in ascending order from one to three. The birds could not only do this task, but a similar task with new stimulus sets containing one to nine objects. Thus, pigeons can count from one to nine, just like monkeys – a task that is impossible for many other species.

Pigeons can recognize words. An important part of reading is the ability to visually recognize words (orthographic knowledge). In a 2016 study (Scarf et al., 2016), a research team from New Zealand and Germany showed that humans are not the only species with orthographic abilities: Pigeons can be trained to discriminate words from meaningless combinations of letters. Using food rewards, pigeons learned between 26 and 58 words and were able to discriminate them from 7,832 meaningless four-letter combinations. Moreover, the birds were able to discriminate completely new words they had never seen during training from meaningless letter combinations. This shows that the pigeons had a representation of what a word is in their brains – and that the neural bases of reading, a skill thought to be uniquely human, is also present in animal brains decidedly different from ours.

Pigeons have an amazing memory. When thinking of animals with great memory, most people would probably come up with elephants. But in a German study from 1990 (von Fersen and Güntürkün, 1990), pigeons were trained to memorize 725 random black-and-white visual patterns. The patterns did not share any systematic characteristics, so the pigeons had to memorize them one by one. The animals needed to identify the 100 “positive” patterns from the 625 "negative" patterns to obtain food rewards. This is a memory task so complex that most humans would have trouble with it. Nevertheless, the pigeons had no problems with this complicated task.

Conclusion

Many of us tend to think that there some animal species that are particularly intelligent, like dogs, dolphins, or apes. We underestimate the cognitive capabilities of species we see as pests. Despite their reputation, research shows that pigeons have amazing visual, numerical and memory abilities on par with some of the smartest species.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Feng shui so powerful it pulled his roommate like a loving blackhole

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That dick invaded my home. I was only defending myself

edit: also that only happened because the dick wanst armed

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
A good dick with a gun could have prevented that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

can't derail here mate

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

hakuna matata muthafucker

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/TheWapplehouse/status/1734989837101371580

Content: Some fuckface thinks he's going to own people with FACTS and LOGIC by giving them a false binary question. Too bad for him he asks someone who isn't a dumbass and refuses to play ball.

Real life Eugene

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Happy Landfill posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: ABSOLUTE TOP TIER APES HAVE BEEN STOLEN :siren: :siren: :siren:

woa that’s what top tier ape looks like

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
All my top apes, gone

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

holtemon posted:

Does posting this make me an accomplice to the nft thievery

Absolute top tier ape

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Inspector Gesicht posted:

https://noisypixel.net/sea-of-stars-patch-removes-the-completionist/

Lukewarm RPG Sea of Stars will remove the NPC based on Jirard the Completionist. The youtuber was found sitting on a decades worth of viewer donations, having never actually given any money out until he was caught.

To actually feel this schad I would have to understand who is this idiot and why he was a NPC on that game in the first place

No I won’t google it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

holy poo poo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Goons hate cars but they hate people who use alternative transportation methods even more

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I also think they kinda dumb, but the amount of hate it gets here is a bit weird. And not only that, theres a lot of hate for cyclists itt too, for example

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yankees go home

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gerblyn posted:

I can’t drive, so I’m curious - Was that the car driver’s fault? He didn’t seem to be indicating…

You can’t turn there, so it’s 200% the drivers fault

edit:

DontMockMySmock posted:

I thought that at first, but there's a frame just before it hits where you see it's behind the bushes, then it gets shunted off to its left by the collision. I think that the car was going slow, so the motorcycle was trying to pass by hugging the median. Which is also colossally stupid, but perhaps less so than driving the wrong way.

And this too. Bike was doing a dangerous thing, but the car was totally wrong

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 13:44 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Samovar posted:

Is this not just plain... child abuse?

More like neglect I guess? Criminally irresponsible, anyway