Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tiggum posted:

I think Stewart Lee has a bit in one of his shows where he's telling a story but keeps interrupting himself to point out that it's made up and never happened.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7187131190686911749

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Trees are free motherfucker.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I have a friend who has it. it's an absolutely insane design but I've gotten used to it. it also produces ice that's too "sticky" (your ice fuses together into one giant clump) and the water shoots out so fast that it splashes tiny droplets everywhere.

also the fridge has a window so you can look inside without opening it; the light turns on when you walk near. i don't understand that design element either.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

haveblue posted:

Probably meant to save a few watts from people holding the door open to browse or build a shopping list

but surely the inefficiency from lost insulation is way worse. also, just, like, don't hold the door open? do you not know what's in your fridge?? is it for people with memory problems???

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

freeedr posted:

. . . the motorcycle was driving on the wrong side of the street

I thought that at first, but there's a frame just before it hits where you see it's behind the bushes, then it gets shunted off to its left by the collision. I think that the car was going slow, so the motorcycle was trying to pass by hugging the median. Which is also colossally stupid, but perhaps less so than driving the wrong way.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

air is social media because it's a medium through which i use "sound" to transmit messages to my social group

but seriously, "social media" doesn't just mean "internet media that is social"; it has never meant that. Message boards and chat clients predate the term "social media," which was a term created for the likes of MySpace and Facebook to distinguish them from other forms of online communication. This dead gay forum is not "social media."

I will die on this hill too.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

pixaal posted:

And some people, like, specifically look for people doing this because "they just talk normal," they are, like, catering to a different audience, y'know?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Serephina posted:

Please, can you summarise that pile of wankery that was stretched to be just over 10 minutes in order to achieve monitization?

edit: or was what you said the summary, and we can skip the video?

Pro tip: if you'd rather read wikipedia than watch a video, you could just google the name in the title of the video instead of posting like an rear end in a top hat

Secondary pro tip: if youtube monetization bothers you so much, install a loving ad blocker

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

credburn posted:

Wait, what? What does it mean??

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It’s short for “aesthetically pleasing” hth.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Why haven't you posted any schad despite having five pages worth of posts itt?

I see this sentiment posted a lot in pyf, and it is such a loving stupid complaint. It's a discussion thread, not an image database. People discuss the schad that gets posted. That's part of what makes this thread (and other image threads) interesting. If you don't like it, maybe browse imgur instead of an old dead web 1.0 forum.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

that map of cornwall is hilariously inaccurate

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The fact that 28% of people apparently don't think they can beat a rat in a fight shows that people answering these sorts of surveys have very different definitions of "win."

No human is going to lose to a rat in the sense of "the rat is triumphant and the human dies." But if your definition of "lose a fight" is "get injured", then maybe you're afraid that the rat bites you before you, idk, loving crush its tiny bones with your bare hands because you're a few hundred times bigger than it. And because you're not confident in your ability to not get bitten, you say "no." Or, as Tiggum suggests, maybe they're including "being able to track down and catch your opponent" as part of the "fight".

Can I "win" in the sense of "sustain zero injury and kill my opponent"?
Can I "win" in the sense of "sustain no permanent damage and kill my opponent"?
Can I "win" in the sense of "kill the animal and still be alive (but perhaps maimed)"?
Can I "win" in the sense of "scare off the animal and get away alive"?

So one's response to the survey not only depends on how confident they are, but also in how they interpret the question. So I think that's why these survey responses are always closer to 50% than you'd expect (in both directions). Those crazy 8% of people who think they can take a lion surely includes a lot of deluded toxic-masculinity-brained morons who think they could kill a lion unscathed, but also people who might be just thinking, "I can wave my arms and scream at it until it goes away," which is probably true, and considering that as having "won" the "fight".

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I recently had a housemate who used to lug a busted Frogger arcade cabinet from house to house whenever he moved and he always talked about restoring it some day but it always just ended up sitting in the corner of his room gathering dust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk1RkMGvBIk

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

photoshopping the papers into a phone is a good gag. but did they really need to do that to his eyebrows? half Spock, half face-being-melted-by-the-Ark-of-the-Covenant.

it bothered me enough to spend a couple mins fixing it

can't do anything about the fingers unfortunately. i don't actually know how to photoshop

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

What is the thing in the foreground that moves??

a door

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

Is there a brief overview of why that's the case, and why this is schad? It's not apparent from the article. Knowing nothing else about the matter, it looks like another episode of "well, we can't possibly actually ban guns, like a sane society".

I saw this video about it recently.
spoilered for discussion of hosed up poo poo

Some highlights:
  • bought their son a gun
  • stored the gun in a safe with the combination 000
  • kid claimed to be seeing demons in text messages
  • parents ignored the text messages, including when the kid texted "can you at least text back"
  • kid drew a picture of a gun and wrote "the thoughts won't stop, help me" and "my life is useless" and "blood everywhere" on a math assignment
  • when shown this paper at a meeting with a school counselor, the parents left the meeting within 12 minutes and did not want to pull the kid out of class
  • and oh yeah that meeting was the SAME DAY THE KID SHOT UP THE SCHOOL

It would be comical if it weren't so tragic. like, if they were villains in a cartoon you'd think they were too unbelievably over the top. But it's hard to feel much schad tbh; even if the parents have gotten what they deserve, four kids died. And the mentally ill 15-year-old was apparently tried as an adult and given life without parole, so it's hard to be say that any kind of justice has been done.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

ah yes, a video in the schad thread of young men playing with fire, i know exactly where this is goi- what the gently caress

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Ravenholm, 2004 (colorized)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I saw a cybertruck in the wild the other day, in a parking lot. I hadn't realized that the body panels have, like, exposed edges, with little weird gaps (different than the gaps between panels of a regular car; it's hard to describe). They seemed designed to funnel rainwater directly to the inner surfaces of the body panels. I already know it was hosed up but it seems so much more hosed up when you look at it up close in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

Somewhat concerned at the need for a full body splatter smock at the buttplug factory :ohdear:

don't mock it.