Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

derp posted:

is schadenfreude really just 'enjoying bad things happening to people'? I thought it was more specific than that. maybe because I became familiar with the word from reading the bitcoin thread back in the day. whatever the word is for people who have bad things happen to them specifically due to their own arrogance, overconfidence, hubris, that's the flavor of schade that i love best
That's pretty much the modern definition of it, yes - it's certainly how it's used in science and also what you'll find in most dictionaries.

Its meaning in German also has very little relationship with the meaning it gets as a loan-word in English, because neither are truly-perscriptivist languages, at least for English today, the approach seems to be to stick with descriptivist linguistics.
Personally, I'm more of a cunning linguist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

caspergers posted:

Personally I think most prescriptivists are secretly nationalists

E: See I just used a split infinitive and I'm not going to fix it
Perscriptivist linguists are almost unavoidably conservatives, by the very nature of the position - so it wouldn't be too far of a leap to assume them to be nationalists too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

New "you can't park there" just dropped.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This reminds me a lot of when McDonalds came to Denmark in the early 1980s and found out about the Nordic labour model much the same way. :sickos:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I could hear this gif, even with it being muted when it opened.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Payable On Death out of nowhere, ITG.

Extremely 2001 vibes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I don't know the guy or his audience, but I like to think the chat brought up the gift knowing what would happen. Very funny.
At best, streamers seem to have a contentious relationship with their chatters, at worst it's actively toxic.

Good thing it's a platform that takes its responsibility for its young audience very seriously. Oh wait..

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Really depends on the streamers.

One of the few ones i'll watch every now and again is very much not contentious.
Is it someone you'd recommend?

Because I like watching streamers who're chill, and not having a contentious or toxic relationship with the chatters is usually a pretty good indicator.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Day[9] is a treasure. Just an absolutely lovely guy, and very entertaining.
Day9 has been around since the StarCraft pro-tournaments back in the day, I remember him well.
He's also the streamer who's been on Twitch the longest (his live-streaming predates Twitch, he was active on Justin.tv if memory serves).

I assumed it was someone relatively unknown.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks for the recommendations, folks!

PurpleXVI posted:

I'll recommend pmcTRILOGY as a good, fun streamer because I can't think of many other streamers that would pause the stream to celebrate Kissinger's death with the chat.
They're also a fellow goon, so it's not exactly unexpected, and supporting "are troops" seems like a good idea.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SpacePig posted:

Man, I thought this was just shipping and manufacturing strikes at first. This rules even more than I thought.

lol at trying to compel the post office legally and getting it thrown out, too.
Who knew that sympathetic striking works?

Well, McDonalds does.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Don't whiz on the electric eel
I'm not going to be an expert on pissing on things that can't consent, but while pissing on an electric fence hurts and is a thing dumb teenagers like me did, holding an electric eel is just about the dumbest thing you can do, because the electric shock contracts your muscles, so you can't let go, even if you want to.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Prom schadenfreude:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Get that goon some goku pants. Goons love goku pants.

:goku:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I actually googled it, it turns out that there's a whole lot of different kinds of chaps but they're all assless

The names of some of the varieties are a bit unfortunate

It's a loving travesty that Glenn Hughes from Village People isn't in that image. :mad:

Atticus_1354 posted:

That list sucks. Its missing the best. Woolie Chinks
You can't say the best and not include this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Believe it or not Hughes was supposedly not gay
I've heard that, though some question whether he just didn't wanna be outed publicly since he supposedly frequented the club where he first saw the leatherman outfit - but he was still loving fabulous!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

deoju posted:

Watch the body language on nazi's right hand. He's all "Bring it on!" until the hero steps up to him, then he switches to "wait just a minute" before getting decked. loving paper tiger.

I post that every time i see that clip but idc.
It's a gif that deserves to be appreciated forever.
It belongs in every museum.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

Lort. Røv og Satan.
:hmmyes:

:emptyquote:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

credburn posted:

Er, it might not be. I was asking... I think it is? I think I recall reading somewhere that it was? Oh no

"Goon made" meaning I believe a goon was on the production team in some way

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, goon panzerskank made it or worked on it.
It also got played fast by Studio at SGDQ'15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqL7NjlJpoI

I think panzershank is one of the two devs co-commenting the speedrun.

For a video with a preview of someone holding a cheap plastic jerry can near a fire, that's not how I expected that to go.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jan 23, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bucksmash posted:

Geoffrey the Skeleton is also voiced by (former?) goon Medibot, who was part of the crew that first showcased the infamously horrible Sonic '06 in our very own Let's Play forum

Also Jon Bois is a loving treasure and I will read, watch and listen to all he has to say, even his admittedly present padding in some of his videos
You're absolutely right, I'd completely forgotten about that.

Yeah, it looks like medibot hasn't posted since 2015.
For some reason the thing that stands out the most to me from back then is the Coldstone Creamery thing, but that thing has long since disappeared off the internet.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

madmatt112 posted:

The Soviets just used stop signs
You can't park there, tovarish.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Plagiarism Machine? You mean James Somerton?
gently caress, that's a phrase that's gonna live for a long time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

It’s always a bit disturbing how monkeys look like us specially when they are pissed off
We share over 90% of our DNA with primates, and ~98.8% with chimps specifically.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

We also share 90% of our genes with cats, so I'm not sure that it's the meaningful measure of behavioural similarity that you're implying!
Look, it sounded better without you pointing out the major flaw.

Supposedly we also share something like 50% of our DNA with every single multi-cellular eukaryote in the animalia kingdom.
A mycologist friend of mine also told me that apparently mushrooms share more DNA with us than they do with plants.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

freeedr posted:

I’ve shared dna with hundreds of humans mushroms and I can tell you it hasn’t made me a fun guy
fify
fify

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ashcans posted:

A huge chunk of DNA is just basic stuff that almost all life uses in common like cell processes and replication. DNA is also sort of accretion over time, so a species will still carry some from its ancestors even if it’s not used or expressed anymore. So the percentage isn’t very intuitive!
I know that there's a difference between coding and non-coding - both for biologists and doctors. However, it's important to remember that non-coding means it doesn't encode proteins.
For example, lots of the non-coding parts of the human genome has RNA which we know has functionality; it's just that we don't always know the specific functionality, beyond being able to divide it into a couple handfuls of rough categories.

Mind you, biology class was more than a decade and a half ago for me, so it's entirely possible that the science has advanced considerably.

Nenonen posted:

I share 100% of my DNA with Penicillium fungi, which is cool, I never get any illnesses.
Schad's on you, because I'm allergic to you.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Mar 9, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Edit: Plagerize is not revise. Instead, have some schad:

https://i.imgur.com/qVQTO45.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/qzlxooE_lq.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/b8RQnt1_lq.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/MbrCPhq_lq.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/8HZDKJz_lq.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/dIlPH6h_lq.mp4

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Mar 9, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Schad is on me, I think my gaming computer decided to force-upgrade to Windows 11?

Dillbag posted:

The shad is that every one of these links is a 404, on mobile at least
I was having trouble with a png I uploaded a while ago, so I think the enshittification after imgur was acquired has begun.
Good thing we have a backup.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Are you sure you clicked right? I know for a while they've been playing those games where the update notifications are designed to get you to agree to the upgrade when you think you're just lazily clicking through another 10 update. I really hope they're not starting to actually force them.
Turns out it was a false alarm, so I'm still on Windows 10.

I've clicked the 'I want to stay on Windows 10 for now" button (just re-did it, to remember what it was called) - but I expect eventually Microsoft will force-update everyone who isn't paying for ESU after October 14, 2025.
Interestingly enough, Microsoft have extended the ESU program to cover basically every edition of Windows, not just the Enterprise versions - but there's still no word on pricing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Refused to update past Windows 7, when that PC started to die I made the jump to full Linux. Still not perfect but at least most of the OS bullshit I deal with now comes from incompetence rather than malice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27rfr59RiE
Unfortunately, the games I play on it are the ones that wine/proton struggle with the most, so I treat my Windows install as an appliance OS on that system - ie. install Chocolatey (and, in turn, the majority of software I need on it) as well as pull the configuration for it from backups.

My daily driver (ie. the machine I use for everything-but-gaming) is a ThinkPad T480s running FreeBSD (-CURRENT).

Mega Comrade posted:

I went to 10 for a while but Microsoft repeatedly installing candy crush on my machine with software updates was the final straw and is when I jumped to the penguin.
You know, I've never experienced that part of the enshittification - but it sure sounds terrible.
I use WinAero Tweaker to turn a bunch of stuff off, so perhaps I accidentally found a setting that prevents it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Philippe posted:

A miserable pile of silicon
Ah, I see that you are a computer toucher.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

credburn posted:

I don't get why you goons like referencing that one joke. Like 40% of this thread is just repeating that joke. Where did it come from?

You guys make the "can't park there" joke the way parolees break into nonstop Scarface impressions when someone mentions the movie.
There's a long tradition for it:
:regd08:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

1stGear posted:

Just when I thought I was done parking, they pull me back in!
Massively excellent username+post combo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Trust me, it's not nearly as bad as when there would be four loving pages of people making puns, over, and over, and OVER. That trend went on for far too long.
I'm the paronomasiac who loved that part.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

credburn posted:

That's one I'm unfamiliar with :confused:
Have they not invented search engines where you're from?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

credburn posted:

They have but I'm engaging with my community, here. Contributing to a conversation.
K.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would simply not drive into a great grandmother of a storm, unless I was the Kwisatz Haderach.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why didn't they pick up the ball from the boat they were filming from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

davidspackage posted:

lol, "we're gonna have a dialogue about that. Oh uh no comment"

Though why bother grilling Rittenhouse about things Charlie Kirk said when he himself is a racist murderer
It shows how much of a scared little disgusting excuse for a human being he really is, if he gets any kind of push-back and doesn't have any way to commit murder.