Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

But the idea that people might in good faith think that they have some quantum of indian heritage isn't that outlandish for me

I've heard that darker skinned white people in the US used to claim Indian heritage because it was seen as less shameful than African American or Latino. Like a few generations later your 1/4 black grandma might tell you that your great grandma was a Cherokee princess or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

I brought my Drake posted:

One of the genealogy groups that I follow turned into a turf war when one of the more prolific posters obsessed with the melungeons asked a skeptic to prove claims with evidence and whaddya know, the skeptic did. Or at least tried to--I quit the group after melungeon lady kept posting screed after screed.

A Melungeon man I met once said the term came from the bootlegger woman identified in that wikipedia article, Haley Mullin. Mullin Gin--> Melungeon. He also said they were a descended from Turkish sailors that were rescued from a sinking ship bound for America that didn't turn around.

True or not, they are cool stories.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I worked with a guy once who had a heart condition who made it clear to every co-worker that under no circumstances should an ambulance ever be called for him - due to the exorbitant expense - and that we should contact his family or get someone there to drive him. Insane.
I worked in a telehealth adjacent job. Hearing "who's going to pay for it?" after giving life saving advice was routine. Maybe not daily, but certainly multiple times a week. More than once I witnessed a patient being told over the phone to call 911 immediately only to have their spouse pull up to their local clinic or urgent care an hour later with their corpse in the back seat.

:patriot:

deoju has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Nov 12, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Thanks for this. Best laugh I've had in weeks.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This is really good. I'd totally recommend at least the first part* to first semester college students on what constitutes plagiarism and academic integrity.

To that Sommerton dude, my advice is to listen to Saul Goodman, "Lawyer up."

*the second part where he takes a hatchet to that dude is still worth it.

deoju has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Dec 5, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Hey, that's some video proof of the old advice, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you."

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
What did White Shirt put on top of the bowl and why did Black Shirt want to take it off? :confused:

:lol: btw I did the same kind of poo poo as a kid.

deoju has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Jan 9, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

lovely thing to do, imo. No way a kitty is capable of thinking, "lol good prank bro, you got me good."

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Trabant posted:

It's rare but:

Watch the body language on nazi's right hand. He's all "Bring it on!" until the hero steps up to him, then he switches to "wait just a minute" before getting decked. loving paper tiger.

I post that every time i see that clip but idc.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Doing that with red wind seems like a good way to ruin your clothes, furniture, etc.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah nah, that's 100% attempted murder by whoever put up that line.

Some rear end in a top hat did similar poo poo in my town a few years ago and just got probation.
https://madison.com/news/local/crime-courts/curtis-tessmer-bike-path-wire/article_36bec30e-b647-11ee-b058-4bce2a8522d9.html

Weird they let him off easy because Madison, WI is consistently ranked as one of the best cycling cities in the country.

Also, the guy who did it was white and that path leads to a black neighborhood.

deoju has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Feb 21, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Zero One posted:

Goons shouldn't attend hockey games, apparently.
:hmmyes:
There was a goon who got hosed up by an escalator at a game in St. Louis. I don't remember their name though.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=4546692

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
lmao at a car that can't get wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This moron is blinding themself, their dog, their neighbors, etc.

Do not gently caress around with blue lasers.