Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Kaal posted:

ATO: Rescue F-5E Pilot

There's a F-5E pilot who went down over the coast of Tierra del Fuego last mission. As a local tourist operator from Rio Gallegos, you know the area well. Sadly, you haven't had much work since the war began. After some patriotic drinking, you reckon that there's a good chance that if they managed to eject they'd end up along the San Simón Headland (https://mapcarta.com/20089080 52°44'13.7"S 70°08'26.1"W). The larger airports in the area such as Rio Gallegos or Puerto Natales have largely restricted the access to general aviators such as yourself. Getting permission to use their facilities takes time, and you don't want to wait. Fortunately, your keen knowledge of the region means you know that the disused Rio Chico airfield is still available - and it's within the city and only a short distance away. You can fly out of Rio Chico, land on the headland, rescue the pilot, and make your way back to the Aduana airfield just across the strait. Your drinking buddy promises to pick you both up in his truck, once you arrive.

Chinese anti-air systems are quite unlikely to pick up your trusty ultralight. If you act quickly, you might be able to rescue that pilot with none the wiser. The pilot was shot down by AAA cannon fire while attacking a coastal supply depot to the east of the headland. (52°45'31"S 69°38'07"W). If they went into the water, then waves would eventually wash the pilot and some debris up along the cape. If recovered, the soaked pilot thanks you but will only refer to himself by his call-sign "Breaky". That being said, he may well have some good information to offer his commanders upon his return.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042524&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22#post536842240

Suggested Aircraft: Whittaker MW6 (freeware) / Amphibious Ultralight (payware) [Ultralight]
Payload: 1 PAX
Route: Rio Chico, Argentina to Aduana-Rio Gallegos, Argentina (SARJ > SAKY)
Distance: 220 km / 120 nmi
Morro San Simón is a headland in Primavera, Tierra del Fuego Province, Region of Magallanes and has an elevation of 47 metres. Mapcarta, the open map.

I decided to leave before sunrise and followed a few miles off the side of the highway towards the coast, staying low and hoping to catch as little attention as possible.

The morning's weather was kind enough that I even started to relax a bit, until I saw the coast and remembered what I was up to.

I did the best boat impression I could across the water, and when it looked like the beach was clear I had a look around. I spotted what looked like a bit of orange cloth and by the time I landed the pilot had very sharply deduced that I was not an enemy aircraft. He presented himself, soaked and exhausted as expected, for a ride out of there. I loaned him a towel and some dryer, less POW looking duds. He made a quick call on the prepaid i brought with me, and we set off.

He was tense across the water, but seemed to trust me enough to doze by the time we made it down at Rio Gallegos.

I'm not sure who these guys were, and was sure not to ask.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU