Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

March 5, 2010

Early morning in Comodoro Rivadavia and I was practically twitching with the chance to once again get in the air. Come to Argentina they said. It's great flying they said. Much better weather than Canada they said. Fiona, you are a fool. I had been able to get by with tourist flights and supply runs to isolated villages, but even those had dried up as the war had gotten closer. The government had contracted me to fly some naval officer down to one of the little villages I did runs to and bring back some people.

The naval officer seemed really nervous as he arrived, his attaché case clinking with the unmistakable sound of bottles of booze, but a quick check of the plane and a chat with ATC later, we were on the runway and then up in the air.

A short flight later, we were lined up and touching down in Puerto Deseado, on the mouth of the Deseado River.

The officer said he'd be right back, so I sat and waited. And waited. And waited. Luckily the FBO had a half decent restaurant and I was able to charge the government an overpriced burger for my lunch. Finally, several hours later, the officer came staggering back, singing drinking songs with a man who had to be the pilot we were here to pick up, with a younger man behind them carrying a suitcase and sighing. With the help of Goro Junior, we managed to get the two of them into the plane, and then set off back for Comodoro Rivadavia, drunken snores in the back serenading us the whole way.

One hop later, and we were approaching the city, and then taxied back to the out of the way hangar, where my passengers were quickly whisked away by several serious looking men.

1 PAX taken from SAVC to SAWD, 3 PAX taken from SAWD to SAVC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

March 10, 2010

They liked my work ferrying that officer and pilot, because I landed another job. I flew into scenic Villa O'Higgins yesterday, and today I'm flying out a gaggle of airfield maintainers out to a defunct airfield on the Argentinian coast. I had to pour over my sectionals to find the place, but eventually I charted out a course. It was a bit of a squeeze fitting all the sailors into the Cessna, but they did it without complaint, grim faced and silent. I guess the prospect of maintaining an airfield in an active warzone is a bit of a sombering one.

One last check of the engines and we were off, flying south along the fjord until we had enough height to turn east onto our flight path. Say what you will, but flying in the Andes is always a gorgeous experience.

Soon however, we were out of the Andes and over the flat, monotonous terrain of Patagonia. And with good winds, we landed safely in Cmte. Luis Piedrabuena. With a shake of their hands, the sailors went off to inspect their sparse new home.

10x PAX taken from SCOH to SA33

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

RCAF 437 Transport Squadron

Kaal posted:

Air Tasking Order: F-14 Tooling
4 pilots from the RCAF took off from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego at 4:30 AM local time March 17th, carrying naval technicians and F-14 tooling equipment.

Flight was fairly uneventful aside from some minor engine issues over Mexico, which were fixed en route.

Landed in Manta, Ecuador where the pilots switched over, we quickly refueled, and the technicians got a chance to stretch their legs.

Climbed out through some clouds before flying south. The Andes are always a spectacular sight.

Landed safely at Puerto Santa Cruz, Argentina.

15 PAX and 10,000 kg of tooling delivered from KNKX to SAWU

(turns out the A320 complains about time acceleration sometimes by shutting down an engine midflight)

Cat Wings fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 15, 2024

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

2. There is a man fishing at Alturas Lake, Idaho. Go get him, starting from Boise Airport. He's semi-retired, but no one knows old radar systems like this guy. Aircraft: Bush plane or seaplane.

You get a lot of weird requests as part of a small bush plane service in the Rockies, especially when there's a world war on. A short hop from Boise to Alturas Lake to pick up some guy fishing and bring him back barely ranked.

I hopped in our company's handy old DHC-2 seaplane, got a quick taxi clearance, and proceeded to climb as best the old girl could into what was definitely VFR conditions.

It did clear up soon enough, and it was smooth flying over snow covered mountains towards the lake

Soon enough the lake came into view. And was very clearly, frozen solid.

Who needs skis, a seaplane can land on ice just fine!

Climbing back along the valley until we could clear the mountains, the rather miffed fisherman, grumbling about people who interrupt a good fishing session and I made our way safely back to Boise, where he was quickly whisked away.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

RCAF 437 Transport Squadron

concise posted:

Venom will receive the HTS and Panther will receive the fighters at El Calafate.

We are eternally grateful to the United States for this crucial support.

March 18th, 2010

At 2 AM local time the 437 Transport Squadron took off from Elgin AFB with a load of AGM-88 HARM missiles, various F-16 maintenance supplies, and two very securely packed HTS.

We flew in the dark out over the Gulf and over Central America, passing Panama City at night.

Landed safely in Lima to refuel. Luckily the sun had come up at this point, since apparently Lima only has visual approaches.

Quickly took off again, and flew down the coast of South America.

On approach to El Calafate.

Safely landed, and cargo delivered.

2x HTS (and other supplies) delivered to SAWC. KVPS -> SPJC -> SAWC