Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it used to be better before every single doughy white UW madison epic reject wisconsinite moved here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
don't forget portland

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

DarkSithLord posted:

yeah it feels like a lot of the charm and vibrancy of the city has been sucked out by those types of people, same with austin and seattle. honestly when people talk about how they hate the kind of people you run into in a city theyre often referring to the transplants
and yes it definitely has. I know its easy to go old man yells at clouds but it's vastly objectively worse than it is now than 2013, which was already way worse than 2003, and so on.

i mean the real answer is just neoliberal money rot has putrefied the internal organs into goo and sold them out for scrap too, but it does suck to see everyone i knew and poorer people all get swept away under a giant tide of wisconsinites

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

smarxist posted:

adam savage loves san francisco and talks about it a lot in his videos and it sounds like a cool place to waste a week
ehhh, east bay is where it's at imo. sure there's some things to do/eat, but like 2-days max. it used to be much better and it's just sad now. even the castro is basically destroyed by rich computer touchies and north beach/chinatown etc is a tiny sliver that's constantly shrinking

adam savage is a super cool turbonerd and still lives here too. but if he was 15 years younger he'd 100% be a goon. i met him when I was young when they were filming an early cellphone gas pump episode at my dad's friends place and he was super nice. i've seen met him a few times at the punchline more recently and still a really humble nerd. usually fame and fortune means they don't like the mingle with the riff-raff so it's nice to meet someone who hasn't been thoroughly corrupted by money

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

who cares if a place is nice to visit

don't come to austin. if u come to austin i'll huck things at your airbnb

im moving to austin and stealing all the weird

maybe afterwards ill move to portland and put a bird on everything and open an axe-throwing app indoor minigolf bar

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zisky posted:

Oakland got the techbro treatment and it's not nearly as fun anymore.

very true but there’s still at least some semblence of being good

just don’t go to jls unless it’s for hoodslam

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Poppers posted:

I fucxing love Twittar

change those vowels around, i dare yuo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Crazypoops posted:

I once drove through San Francisco. I would saw off my foot too avoid going there again.
dumbass

if you have to, take 280 to side streets, gridlock every intersection, and be assertive and domineering over the other pleb cars. traffic laws are for ignorant rubes to follow. you can save a lot of time by asserting total dominance over the roads.

also use a fake paper plate or just take it off so the bus cameras cant get you and avoid tolls. sfpd doesn't exist at all: they're too busy gassing some homeless guys outside nancy pelosi's house.

i used to drive around for work (construction) a lot and got good at getting from a->b. still can get utterly hosed on the occasion

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fermun posted:

shrooms are really cheap and easy to get now that san francisco has the two gray market "churches" that just sell shrooms

which two are these?

FirstnameLastname posted:

v. easy to positively ID ........ make sure you know how though bc there's deadly lookalikes that will kill you
lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

shrike meet shrike-wife

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

this is a thing old men simply love doing

hell, same

the best thing about being old now is it’s legal to run around naked

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TenementFunster posted:

i can’t imagine how much more chill this place was before tech money started attracting all the psychos
much better and much more down-to-earth communal, straight up boho 'starving artists' even when you could get a decent loft in pier 70 for like <$800/month. there was much more minorities like mission was a lot bigger and had more multi-generational latino households and stuff. the kinda where actually lots of people would know each other instead of being a city of strangers.

still, it's not like it was roses either, definitely wasn't homogenous and 'poor areas' used to be worse and more poorly served. there's some good things, like biking in sf is much better now than it was years ago.

if you listen to TrueAnon, yung chomsky's series on Tiny Telephones was also pretty good at hearing the slice of life from not that long ago

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Oct 4, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Poppers posted:

If you think San Diego was ever better than San Francisco I have some unfortunate results about your retardation exam
it has vastly better weather, beaches, sexy surfer dudes + bikini babes, zoo, and acai bowls

also less computer touchers. too bad about the rest of it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

There aren't bathhouses in San Francisco because they're against the law unless you mean Eros which is a sex club and NOT a bathhouse
that's right. dianne feinstein personally banned bathhouses because they cause the disease AIDS that results in HIV

she kept us safe :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Proust Malone posted:

I miss Halloween in the Castro

this was great but then they banned it many years ago. rip