Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Digging the vibe of pretty much every team so far, hopefully that continues. Love the 90 minute episodes too, shame that it won't be a standard going forward though.

The logic behind doing the swords challenge over the spa day was sound but man even being confident I would pick it up quickly there's absolutely no way I would have passed up "get a 30 minute deep tissue massage" to save maybe 10 minutes if everything went perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

shazbot posted:

Please give me the sad ending…

Good season so far, even if my wife and I joked about it being some sort of weird creepy incest casting. Are we nutjobs or did some of these people seem awfully close.

The "Siblings/Roommates" definitely got a raised eyebrow from me but otherwise I didn't see anything overly weird.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think it's cool that the teams I'm enjoying the most are the teams at the top of the pack

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not sure if it's lucky or just cool to have a detour literally made for a team to crush. Asian grocery store owners having to get groceries in an Asian market? :lol:

There's always stuff that happens this way. I think most of the time it's rad because it's awesome just watching someone pop off. I forget which team it was but last season you had the one where they had to put together a motorcycle and one girl was like a literal mechanic as a hobby and she just blew past four teams who were all like "what the gently caress???"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Watching those girls panic and use their express pass at a clearly inopportune time and having it immediately bite them was funny.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Hmm, I don't know. It was hard to parse whether or not they needed to get on that boat in the first place in order to use the Express Pass - it felt like they were trying to save it, but ran into a boat traffic jam and realized it would be better to just move past the task. I kinda feel like coming in sixth during a leg when you used your pass means that you DID use it at the right time though. Better to use it and move from last to 6th than use it to jump from 6th to 1st. It was only good for one more leg (though who knows if the next ep counts as Leg 3 or Leg 4) and you gotta get there if you wanna be able to use it.

They didn't move from last to sixth, they moved from fourth to sixth!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Right, and that IS very funny, but I was talking about the current leg and not their prior finish. They pretty clearly weren't finishing in sixth if they didn't use the pass, there's a pretty significant chance they come in last without it. They were on the record as wanting to use it to try to come in first in a leg, but that's way less important than straight-up surviving to continue racing at all

Granted that's moot given the "not a non-elimination" non-elimination but that's irrelevant to their decision-making

I don't think they were currently last in the leg when they used it. They just panicked about needing to queue at the boats and didn't factor in that all the other teams needed to as well, including all the ones behind them. The "proper" way to use it would have been to see where they were after they finished it, then use it for the detour to skip ahead.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really dislike needle in a haystack challenges like that causing an elimination

Especially when it's a team I really liked :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

maybeadracula posted:

The most infamous challenge ever I think was literally the haystack rollout

Oh I'm very aware, it's why I used that specific metaphor.

But since then they have generally only used those kinds of challenges on non-elimination legs and just had them serve as a way to reshuffle the pack.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rob and Corey are easily my favorite team this season and seeing them come from back of the pack after the first challenge all the way up to 6th because of their positive attitude made me tear up a little

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Honestly I'm shocked they even lasted this long so a leg like this where they just get flat out destroyed felt like it was inevitable, but I didn't expect it to be that bad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-amazing-race-premiere-dates-90-minute-episodes-2024/

90 minute episodes in Spring as well :toot:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They leaned in so hard on AnnaLee's negativity in her confessionals I knew they weren't going to get eliminated and it makes sense that the Sisters' Navigation issues were their undoing.

Rob and Corey are easily still my favorites (also god drat did you see how swollen Corey's eyes were after the hay challenge?) but Greg and John winning would be cool too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teams like them are like cockroaches so I'm expecting them to win

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SteveVizsla posted:

Her social media is all about how she's an influencer and travels to all of these amazing places where she probably spends the whole time taking and retaking instagram photos

Her job description in the OP is "Private Flight Attendant/Influencer" so I guess that's how she's able to fly to a bunch of places to take those photos

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SteveVizsla posted:

Giggled at the Nobel thing with it airing the same night Kissinger died (one of the biggest wtf winners ever). I wish they'd named who was at the tables.

Their names were on the cards on the tables. I remember Einstein and Marie Curie were at the table the boys were serving but the other two names I didn't recognize so they didn't stand out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

garthoneeye posted:

I think they meant the actual eating guests.

I assume they were just random extras playing the role of the person on their card.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SteveVizsla posted:

I thought Phil said something about many winners go to the museum every year for an annual dinner, and that's who these people were?

Yeah, the cards were representing people at previous dinners, and the years matched up with the dinner from that year. Then the teams had to give the correct food to the correct person based on the menu and the name card.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I just rewatched it and Phil describes the guests as Nobel laureates and Greg or John described the challenge and specifically said all the guests themselves were Nobel prize winners.

All the guests at the annual dinners yeah. There's no way this was actually the annual dinner.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

I find her entertaining and I think I might be rooting for their team. This is the most I've stuck with a season, I tried one that had survivor people on it once but don't remember finishing it. Am definitely curious to go back and see some of the worst couples and pairings in past seasons.

If I didn't like the other three teams more I'd probably root for them too. She's annoying but there doesn't seem to be any bad blood or real fighting that carries over between legs like with other teams (past and present). Like someone said earlier, it's an outlet for her frustrations/anxiety and her dad seems to understand that and not let it get to him. And she also buried her grudge against getting U-Turned pretty well this past episode which I feel came from some imparted wisdom that she listened to.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Golbez posted:

So many people talking about the worst person from the race and no mention of Jonathan.

Probably because we're only talking about this season

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SteveVizsla posted:

It seems like they've been super accommodating for him, giving him every chance to be an equal competitor. It's wonderful to see, especially with how far they've made it! They're such a happy, upbeat team, always rooting for each other and enjoying every leg, even if it's something they're not great at. That Corey, who is clearly super athletic and smart and everything you need to be on TAR, would choose to apply to the show with his Dad speaks volumes for their relationship. I have favorites every season, of course, but I don't know if I've ever liked a team *this* much. I don't know that there's ever been a season where I didn't strongly dislike any of the final 3, either.

I was trying to think of the name of Riverdance a couple of nights ago but could only come up with Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance, then forgot about it by the time I woke up, so thanks, TAR.

Rob and Corey are my favorite team of all time at this point. I agree that there's no "bad winner" in this group but I want them to win so bad that I'll probably still be disappointed if they can't clutch it out lol.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 7, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cacator posted:

I'm just gonna say what we're all thinking: Corey is hot as hell

I had a good laugh at how fast that one girl's hand shot up when he asked who wanted to teach him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SteveVizsla posted:

It's one of the best parts of the show. And I'd much rather see a team lose because they hosed up on their own vs the numerous times a slow/bad taxi driver has played a role in determining placement.

It's like knowing how to make fire for Survivor, you shouldn't even apply if you can't drive stick but plenty of people do it anyway.

I agree with this post. Can't remember which season but one of the recent ones had a team melting down because they were stalled on the exit ramp where they picked up their cars and one of the teams tried to help them and then just noped out after like a minute and just easily went on their way. And they acted like they were victims (they were, but it was victims of their own stupidity)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Is weird though that they showed Garrett and Joel going back for their notebook at one point in the season, but seemingly it didn't help them at all on the final challenge.

It created suspense for where they would finish on that specific leg of the race.

Bummed about Rob and Corey but maybe them finishing third means they'll be on a returnees season :getin: In the end I can't be mad, all three of these finals teams were great and perfect examples of the attitude that teams should have on the race.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think just repurposing the thread to a general thread works fine. Can't wait!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah the confessionals seem like they're usually somewhere near the finish area just going off the backdrop

Vibes so far are pretty good for this cast. Biggest downside is that I can already feel the padding they had to do in the editing and that probably means it's gonna be rough as we get farther into the season and they have less footage to pull from

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

there's usually at least a couple every season where the "this will take a set amount of time" one is the objectively correct choice because the skill based one being faster is technically possible but realistically you have no chance.

I'm enjoying the dynamics from the top teams so far, hopefully there's no big shakeups for a few more episodes that causes one to get eliminated.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh one more thought, the twins need to shave those godawful mustaches

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

thanks for putting this in spoilers btw, I accidentally clicked on the thread out of habit and hadn't watched yet!

I did the same thing yesterday lol

Been mentioned already but yeah we're really feeling the "taped for 60 but it has to be 90" editing woes now. Can't imagine it's going to get any better either as we lose more teams.

I was surprised how many teams went for the breakdancing this episode. Then again I was also surprised at how badly some people struggled with the word puzzle.

One thing that's been bothering me, and maybe this is a product of needing to stretch the episodes, but instead of jumping between the teams in "real time" they seem to just focus on each section of a race before moving on. So like they show everyone doing the detour before showing the leaders even starting the road block, even though they're obviously doing it while some teams are still on the detour. I don't recall them using this format before but it's really jarring.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm watching now and maybe it's different from live on Paramount+ but I swear to god Karishma screamed "let me off this loving wall" completely uncensored after she grabbed the flag (and even after they blur censored her mouth lol)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My favorite part of the episode was Rod, the former NFL receiver built like a truck, getting bumped and going "oh that's legal? Hell yes let's go" and just destroying everyone in his path

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Boy I hate this alliance (except Rod)

I like the Mom and Son team, it's funny watching her try to get him to be more cutthroat.

The nurses can go away though for sure. Easily the worst vibes of the remaining teams right now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RandomHodge posted:

Yes, there was a recent-ish season (32 I think) where 5 teams colluded basically the entire race. It was awful

Yeah the mine five. And on top of that once they got to final five: surprise! It turns out that there was a three team alliance within the five team alliance!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hard to really come up with a rule against it. How could talking to another team be against the rules. It happens in some way in just about every challenge, with teams asking for directions to certain tasks in them.

In reality, it's a course that has multiple variations, would have prevented the teamwork entirely having a different puzzle / race course for each driver / car.

I think in a challenge like that where everyone is at a station it would be pretty easy to say you're not allowed to enter another player's station, which would be fairly easy to set rules and boundaries for. You could also disallow talking to people when they're in their station but that gets a little harder to litigate and idk what their resources are.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the difference between the firefighters and the mom and son really emphasizes how much navigation matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Diabetic posted:

Production actually took responsibility for the mom and son. In the exit interview it was revealed their camera crew never showed back up although they knew where to go. Production had to get out an entirely new crew for them. I can understand getting lost on a roundabout but the crew would know where they're supposed to go. Mom and son took the loss in great stride but this is one of those things that I feel like should be a mulligan.

Hopefully they return in another season

I would be so mad if this happened jesus christ