Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

i married the series

the whole thing, i just put some formal clothes on it

Bet it looked great when you put on the jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pork never goes bad posted:

High level heal spells

Yeah, as we saw, Frieren may have lived for over a millennia picking up a lot of spells but she hasn't multiclassed as a white mage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

It's nice that she found a fashion she liked and stuck with it for like... at least 80 years.

She probably held onto her greco-roman stuff long after it went out of style.

"Listen Fern, togas are gonna come back, you'll see."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

She is technically right but I am not sure if she wants to hang out with frat bros.

*stares wistfully at a man doing a kegstand*

"Heiter would've loved this"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shoryu-kiss

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
drat that whole Heiter scene was too real for me though. Like the ring scene was moving but listening to Heiter talk about how he'll probably keep faking it until the day he dies because kids need grown-ups for emotional support made me tear up.

e: on the lighter side, got some good Angry Fern faces this episode so it's not all leaving me weepy.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 9, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Stark just needs a helmet like Eisen's to land on and he'll be invincible.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

Donuts! lol. Need a gif of the donut slap.

(this is way too big but I'm rusty at gif-making)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 16, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's actually standard procedure on that trip. Last time Eisen had to learn flamenco.

Heiter made them stop at every craft brewery so he could try every single one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Kraft is actually the only elf in the entire world that cared about gains, that's why he is so tall.

And he's the only one who eats his veggies, unlike Frieren

vvv: ah, true

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 18, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Aren’t they just supposed to be Tolkien inspired elves that are immortal?

I believe the idea is that they are actually mortal, they just have super-high lifespans. I only say that because Kraft talks about how he believes in the goddess because she'll praise him when he dies and goes to heaven but like, he doesn't seem to talk about it like he's going to Valhalla dying in glorious battle, he seems sure that he's just going to go there... eventually. Like he's not planning to die today or tomorrow but he knows death will come eventually.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: nm

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Next week there will only be dread, desolation snd despair as there is no Frieren Friday while the year is making it's last nervous pleas before it will accept death on the next day.

Frieren: Ignore the old year's pleas, they evolved them to deceive you.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

"One Piece? Its just a mere 1000 episodes"

Fern pouts so hard her head begins to inflate like Kirby

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

How’s the dub for this?

I think it's good except for the fact that they drag out the first e in Frieren a bit too much so it sounds like "Free-ren". Which I guess in retrospect kinda how they say it in Japanese too but generally since I'm reading subs my mind kinda glosses over it but when it's actually in a language I understand it's inescapable. Plus in my head I've always pronounced her name like "Frear-en" like when reading the manga so I guess it was always gonna sound off in either language

But that's a very niche complaint and you learn to get over it after an episode or two. Otherwise it's very good imo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I didn't really feel like the mana suppression thing was played up that much until the last episode of the arc when the "reveal" via the Flamme flashbacks happened. Maybe the benefit of marathonning the series makes it seem more obvious or maybe I'm a big dummy. I mean yeah there are some super subtle hints early on like Fern being able to sneak up on people as a little kid because of mana suppression and maybe I think they mention it once or twice when hiding from a monster?

Anyway, like Mulva said I don't think the point of that story was ever supposed to be about power levels, the reveal was the psychology of demons, and how One Weird Trick To Kill Demons works, mixed in with a story about Frieren's past like so many chapters/episodes are. After all, we know Frieren's going to live in a conflict because she's the the protagonist in a shonen series, but we don't know how. The reveal here is that there was never a conflict and she had Aura dead to rights from the start. That said, it was played as a rad moment when Frieren reveals just how overpowered she is. And it was rad :colbert:

Spookydonut posted:

the character poll results are out and 3rd place is mimic

That's old news from 2022. I'm sure Mimic would take #1 if this world were just.

(if anyone's curious, omitting spoiler characters, other winners are

1.) Himmel
2.) Frieren
3.) Mimic
5.) Fern
6.) Stark
9.) Sein
10.) Aura the Guillotine
11.) Heiter
16.) Flamme
17.) Eisen

the poll was on Twitter and clearly the creators were having fun since they were clearly having trouble getting 100 characters together and just have a bunch of gag answers. The Giant Birthday Hamburger Steak made #23 and the "Jumbo Berry Special" (that ice cream dish that Stark remembers as being much bigger from when he was a kid) made #25

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 4, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, while he's of course not nearly as old as Frieren, he's another adult, which is good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tabletops posted:

I am disappointed that Frieren actually has to take this test

I mean, she doesn't have to, but having her and Fern do it doubles the chance that someone And it's important that they pass because otherwise they'll have to give up snack money never make it North!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 13, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
He should just try to fake it til he makes it like the kid from Mashle

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

trying to pull a Hisoka

Frieren: "I once found a spell that has the properties of rubber and gum on my journey with Himmel"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

Re: Aura, it always stuck with me how after Frieren explains how she's been perfectly hiding her mana in perpetuity for most of her life that Aura's immediate, kneejerk reaction isn't one of awe or begrudging reverence of what she accomplished, or even increased fear borne from the implication of what she was saying. Her reaction was one of confusion. "Wait, why would you do that??? :confused: "

Yeah, like Flamme says, to demons, mana is basically how they base their status. If we use her equating it to humans and wealth, it'd be like if a celebrity or one of those loving billionaires dressed like hobos. Why would you? As the saying goes, if you've got it, flaunt it.

Frieren (and Flamme and Fern) are basically perpetually going "oh golly I hope I don't get attacked by demons" like Bugs Bunny luring Elmer Fudd into a pit... only the pit is a death beam

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 17, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nebrilos posted:

Frieren did save the world but that was what, 80 years ago? That's forever ago in human terms.

Yeah, old man Denken may now be the only one there to be remotely in the range of the Demon-King-slaying journey (or even Himmel's life), and that's still a long shot. To everyone else it's a legend from their parents. Or in somecases, a fairy tale from their grandparents.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

So the test isn't necessarily intended to be lethal, mages are just assholes.

Why not both? :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Guess she learned more from fighting Qual than just a history lesson.

She took that one time Frieren told her she can cast faster than her and made it her whole style.

The best defense is a good an overwhelming offense

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

alternatively, mages of this era just decided it was too boring compared to cool spells like TURN EVERY FLOWER PETAL TO METAL AND CUT YOUR ENEMY TO SHREDS WITH THEM! HARDCORE! BADASS!

Byakuya-tested, Mage Approved.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Warden posted:

You think manga readers can withstand the temptation of pretending that they do know that already and are just guessing?

I was gonna do that but I couldn't think of any joke answers besides Stark pulling a Mashle.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

I forget, are the cages magic or is the Stille just not able to go supersonic if it doesn't have room to maneuver?

I think the cages would have to be magic since that one broke out of Lawine's ice and it was literally frozen

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brutal Garcon posted:

(and, like, there was a king and some lords a while ago. Do those guys not have rules around murder, and dim opinions of people who ignore said rules?)

"Hey, they signed the waiver, dude"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

I would say that Frieren is completely out of the league of anybody else who's present, unsurprisingly.

Almost certainly, but of course Frieren's already said she's lost multiple times to human mages so, like, you never know.

It's not the size of your MP gauge, it's how you use it :v:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 29, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ChronoReverse posted:

In any case, let's discuss something more interesting.

Both examiners could move even as the Stile still approaches them. A spell of some sort (because of the exam maybe?) or a common 1st class ability to move with zero mana leakage that even Frieren doesn't have?

My guess is it just sensed no danger from the examiners. It doesn't stay away from the water with the mana in it because it's poison to them or anything (I think), but because it can tell that it's being hunted.

But then again I barely know anything about real birds, much less fictitious ones

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 30, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spookydonut posted:

"Denken you're out of mana"

Denken: "I ain't hear no bell"

"I have just enough mana to cast fist to your loving face"

Yawgmoft posted:

Judging by the effect and the way characters were talking about the barrier and how no matter the brute force you use it won't break, Frieren probably dispelled it/deconstructed the magic used to make it, and literally no one has ever thought to do that before

It probably helps that we know Flamme put up a couple barriers back in the day when she was training, so Frieren would almost certainly know a lot about those pretty well. And of course Flamme learned barriers from Serie. So even if the one from this arc is a different kind she hasn't seen before, Frieren had way more of a headstart when trying to reverse-engineer the specific bubble they're under and devise a to wreck it.

GateOfD posted:

like how fern just casually makes fire when they're in the cave.
she's probably like All-Element, but because of Frieren's style, she sticks to basic gun.

I fear not the mage who has practiced 10,000 spells once, but I fear the mage who has practiced one laser spell 10,000 times.

-Frieren Lee

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 3, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

It does seem kind of relevant that Serie's been sitting in the same chair in the same room for a thousand years and hasn't even changed the curtains.

Little do you know she used the "find the perfect curtains" spell 5000 years ago and she really likes those.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

The bartender being the kind of stereotypical anime bartender complete with the voice was a fun gag too.

Big "that's rough, buddy" energy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doodles posted:

What spell would any of you want? I'd like a spell that keeps carpets clean and fresh without vacuuming or shampooing.

Hangover cure. Or better yet a spell that will prevent hangovers from happening in the first place

Super Jay Mann posted:

A spell to arbitrarily turbocharge my metabolism so I can eat snacks without getting fat.

poo poo poo poo lemme change my answer...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Y'know thinking about it more I think the spell that I'd really want from Frieren is that basic-rear end levitation spell that every mage seems to know. It'd be very handy around the house and other places.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9HdNRrbI1w

Jams to fight your death battles and break shields to

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

"Himmel once held a gun this way..."

*wistful flashback to Himmel breaking his loving shoulder when the Barrett .50 cal kicks*

"It never seemed to hurt Eisen, you should be fine to do it, Stark"

also here's a preview for the upcoming mini-arc of this larger arc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEkwCGJ3o7M

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Himmel's dark secret is he could've beaten the Demon King faster than 10 years but he really wanted to 100% every dungeon before fighting the boss.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

love that the detect magic spell said its a mimic, but she still went for it reasoning that there's still a 1% chance its wrong.

Getting eaten by 99 mimics is a small price to pay for the grimoire that's at the bottom of the real treasure chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Frieren having to tell Fern how to get her out of the mimic implies this is the first time she's had to get her out but I thought we've seen Fern witness her getting eaten before unless I'm misremembering?

Maybe Frieren only figured it out recently herself (off-screen) on some solo adventure while Fern and Stark were hanging around town.