Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This episode was well animated and all, but it really examplified my issue with this series in the manga. Everyone just reacts to everything with a dead fisheyed stare.

Get impaled? :|
Watch your ally get dusted? :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ChronoReverse posted:

Eh, scrounged up over-emoting faces are a dime a dozen in anime and manga. It's a unique aspect of this anime that works well with the unusual circumstances of the characters with some of them being literally inhuman beings.

I mean, there's over-emoting, and there's non-emoting.

I don't think asking for Fern to show some pain rather than having a calm conversation while impaled is too much to ask.

And neither Fern nor Stark are inhuman. They act exactly the same as the demons.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Can she still cast magic without her staff? Is it just an enhancer?

She can do some, though it's more limited. You can see it in this episode where she can call the staff to her hand.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A good episode. I think this scene was my favorite one in the portion of the manga I read.

https://twitter.com/fikkyun/status/1723000932672102780

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Yeah, the scales is very much a 1v1 ability (or 1v2 to quickly turn their ally against them if you're feeling risky). Against a full party it's not a very good ability.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

From the manga I was under the impression that the Demons had literally no internal world or monologue and were essentially humanoid automatons. I guess I was mistaken since they do clearly have thoughts here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I stopped reading the manga a bit later than the anime is now, right after the class exam and reward

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems pretty clear to me? Demons are intelligent but by nature lack the bonds of family and community that allow humans to feel empathy and compassion - they only fake these in order to trick humans. Instead their society is held together by a hierarchy in which the weak obey the strong (something which can be easily established without direct conflict as demons constantly display their magical power to each other).

Yeah I took Frieren's statement about them mimicking language quite literally and that they were just doing the equivalent of parroting words back which they learned evoked the response they wanted without any understanding of what they were saying. Not that they understood the human language, but just didn't have the cultural background to get parts of the references.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

It's also a thing with people thinking of the manga, where everyone is even more poker faced.

Yeah, my main complaint about the manga, that everyone is ":|" all the time, is somewhat (though not completely) obviated.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm a fan of fashionista Frieren

https://twitter.com/colin_5683/status/1722853149663531014#m
https://twitter.com/colin_5683/status/1726109674200859066#m

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Listen, the chance to find a spell that threads your shoelaces for you is absolutely worth a run-in with a mimic.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Episodes like this are what I come to Frieren for.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

GateOfD posted:

how many anime episodes are we getting

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mirage posted:

At first I thought she was punching him in the nads.

https://twitter.com/perutore15/status/1732388447422455862

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I've read a bit ahead in the manga a couple of years ago, and I'll admit that I completely forgot about our new priest party member. Shame, cause I like him so far.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

sharkmafia posted:

The way frieren's demeanor is presented and the anime's choice of voice actor for her suggests that we're supposed to see her as an adult, albeit kind of a disaster adult. I think that's just how she looks

That said, kraft is still way older than her. Frierens apparent age changed only slightly over an entire millennium so for kraft to actually look like he's in his forties he's gotta be old.

Aren’t they just supposed to be Tolkien inspired elves that are immortal?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

sharkmafia posted:

I don't think its explicitly been said whether they're actually immortal or just have really, really long lives. I was assuming the latter, they dont seem as explicitly mystical or 'closer to god' as they are in tolkien.

Kraft seemed sure that he was going to die someday but that could just mean he's sure he's eventually going to fall off a ladder or something

The goddess, as depicted in episode 11, looks elivish to me.

https://twitter.com/Anime_Frieren/status/1725535372539736471

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

On the topic of how ancient is Frieren, I have an important Twitter post.

https://twitter.com/khyleri/status/1736778347223630139

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

GateOfD posted:

Is Frieren back on the menu this week

Yes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I get it now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finally, getting caught up in the second cour and goddamn I love this OP2. Absolute top-tier banger. I watch it through in full each time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

I wonder what clever plan Fern has to do it.

One would presume the same way she wins every fight, rapid casting of the basic attack spell.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

Is this week's upcoming episode the season finale or will there be more after that?

The last episode will be on the 22nd of this month.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BasedLIDA/status/1766505670356967725?t=6ZOFh2mMX7Ajd-5ORsnRaw&s=19

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

FEET: THE ANIME

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is Denken supposed to be a dwarf (species) or just a short old guy?