Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

RuBisCO posted:

I love Fern and her ridiculously round head

So many good, round heads in this show. Wanna pat 'em like snowballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They're not an analog for any particular race, so :shrug:. If anything, they seem to be treated more like sociopaths. There was an attempt by the demon child to make amends, but he sorely misunderstood the emotional end of his actions. He tried. Some sociopaths can do well with therapy, other use it to learn how be be more manipulative. You are taking an increased risk trusting a sociopath, sucky as that is.

I haven't read far into the manga, but I'm supposing it wouldn't have included that failed attempt by the demon child if there was zero hope for demons altogether. Again, he didn't act out of maliciousness; he tried to mend a wound he caused and failed. It was a tragedy on his end as well.

Frieren's in the same boat to a lesser extent. I suspect she'll figure this out.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So if demon kid was such an apex predator, why would he understand the concept of "protective words" but not "protective entity?" Is that to say he understood that two people wanted to kill him but didn't understand the guy sometimes literally standing between him and them was a safeguard? Why choose to eliminate the proven safeguard over anyone else in the village with a kid to offer? Why not just eliminate the threat directly and kill the parents? Since demons don't understand social connectivity, surely that would be the optimal solution.

His actions just weren't efficient enough for me to think there wasn't a fumbled attempt in there.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

pork never goes bad posted:

You're not being very imaginative. Eta - das boo

It may not understand the concept of "protection" in the way you're using it - the words are actions that it takes, so extending that protective concept to things other people do, which is very natural to us as adults in a social species, may be a significant cognitive jump for it and perhaps even one its brain is simply incapable of at its current developmental level. And even if it could understand the idea of a protective entity, it can sense the murderous intent by the parents of the child it ate and may view remedying that as a more reliable source of protection than the protective entity who, as we see shortly thereafter, is not that strong in comparison with itself. As to why kill the chief and family - it had access. Killing someone else would be risky. The parents of the other child are wary. To go out at night to kill another random family incurs risk of unforeseen complications or simply of being caught. It's apparently a child, so it's likely that the chief would have told it that it couldn't go out at night, and as we've established it'll take into account what it's told - it just doesn't know a whole lot of seemingly obvious things that it hasn't been told yet.

Also, bit of an aside, lotta pronoun confusion here. If you're on team demons are people, the village chief uses she to refer to the demon child. Frieren uses it as the pronoun for demons (at least often, I checked a few scenes, I'm not sure about always. I'm curious about what pronoun she uses for the demon king), which I'm gonna follow for now.

Or maybe too imaginative? A spider is aggro, you kill the spider. Killing another spider and offering the first one its flies isn't the most... direct method.

Do apologize on the pronouns, though; I remembered it wrong.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I barked at one flat-expression girl trying to extract the other flat-expression girl from the tree.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I know cheetahs are friendly as hell for wild predators, but I've also heard they have more dog qualities than most big cats. So many videos of sanctuary workers getting lovingly groomed by cheetahs and telling the camera, "It hurts so much. :gerty:"

Cheetahs kick rear end.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, no wonder I like them! :v:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Stark is baby boy, a good lad.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There's a horror story in there about robots assimilating the daily activities of the humans they eradicated without really understanding why they're doing them.

E: Oh wait, maybe I'm just thinking of that movie, Robots.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Honestly love Stark's dub voice. His panicked whining is hilarious and his regular tone sounds like he's always expecting to be scolded.
Which is to be expected with Fern.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Fern is Mom, tho?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Oh no.
I agree.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Frenny has a pocket dimension, right? She doesn't seem to have a home base and she's a hoarder.
I assume that's where her staff goes, and she's just retrieving it from atop a huge junk pile stored in pocket space.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
And she stores that somewhere, too. She only carries it when she feels like it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sharkmafia posted:

I don't think it's ever been explicitly explained, even in the manga, but all mages seem to be able to do the trick where they summon their wizard staff into their hand at will

so yeah probably something like that, since the staff is a physical object

Ultimately doesn't matter, so I get why they don't go into it. I just like all the little examples of Freiren being a lazy slob and my headcanon has Fern's pocket space being immaculate and Frieren's being a biohazard.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
She fronted it and then wandered off to let the humans do their own speedy thing because she's tired and there's a funky book over there. Then came back to learn it, solely focused on that task, and then ran off again because someone recognized her and flipped. And then multiple people mentioned the certification body and she's like, "Uh-huh, I already did that, this chest is definitely safe to open, right?"

Frieren:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had to draw this dumb joke out of my head.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Frieren is too spicy for frat boys. She would get them probated.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Those children were scandalized.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Frieren's making sure she gets the good ending.
You get the bad ending if you keep looking at the tiny scythe.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I cannot for the life of me figure out where Eizen's nose goes and it makes me laugh every time he shows up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sein is good for the kids. They needed an adult.
... Not that one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SpartanIvy posted:

Fern sowing etiquette lessons: Haha gently caress yeah! Yes!

Fern reaping etiquette lessons: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

If I was a worse person, I'd steal this joke.
:golfclap:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
HA!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Magic is like baking: Sometimes you break up a chocolate bar because you don't have cocoa powder and holy poo poo, you invented chocolate chip cookies.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Voll forgot his wife so much that she animated at 60 fps

That was weird as hell. Freelance animated on 1s?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Dub Stark whines beautifully. His scream as the carriage is falling is hysterical in more ways than one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Arc Hammer posted:

Those clouds look like boobs, and that one looks like a turd!

He goes from being a compassionate guy who helps out everyone around town to laughing at poop jokes without skipping a beat.

I love his mental note of having to tell Fern about boob and poop cloud later.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Xelkelvos posted:

The other side of it though is that it use utility outside of just blasting people. Essentially a tradeoff between specific purpose (murdering thing) and more broad use. In a relatively more peaceful time, it's not as necessary to get really good at a spell meant primarily to blast demons when one could get better at moving water or rocks or other stuff

Yup, and you gotta figure most other mages don't have the time to gently caress around and find that specific spell for pulling a dude out of mud. Water user can just manipulate the mud to throw him to safety!

Everybody else is trying to master a skill tree while Frieren is just scattershot pulling spells from all of 'em because she doesn't have a job and can play games forever.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wirbel is a good boy with a kickass outfit. I want that coat.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like deep voice dub Frieren. It reminds you that this lost child is actually an old hag.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'mma refer to my Genie wish with a spell to Always Have the Correct Amount of Money.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Little late, but Ranking of Kings has some of the prettiest animation I've seen in a while, isn't at all pervy, and has a gentle heart to it.

Though front half is stronger than the back half, which is a shame because OP2 is my favorite OP of anything ever.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Fern is an engineer with a big stick.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

RuBisCO posted:

Ubel putting out some real Asa buying an Aquarium vibes

:hmmyes:

I kinda love when magic follows a god's logic of "It makes sense to me so it's real now. Sorry, everybody else."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
A friend told me a story about being 3 or 4 years old and getting up in the morning to make herself eggs. Her mom came down halfway through and told her she can't do that. She remembers distinctly thinking, "Well, I was doing it, so you're wrong."

My friend woulda been a good mage.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, Fern would loathe him, though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I read Ubel's memory as a sincere and cherished one that truly affected the way she looks at the world. She immediately referred to it when explaining her thinking because it was that core to her. And it carried just a little implied threat for fun. As a treat.

Ubel gets her kicks out of making people uncomfortable, but that doesn't necessarily rule out her ability to love them. I also read her relationship with Land as more than a hopeful transaction; she really thinks it's fun and funny how (little) he engages her and enjoys being around him.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Based on the histories of the participants, 2nd class at least considers the need for direct combat and support prowess, with some administrative aptitude. 1st class seems more the rank of headline combatants, generals, supervisors, and research admins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mordja posted:

I wonder if those old guys even teach Stark anything. Where they ever even warriors?

Stark's got a face that screams "Please help me." It's up to the viewer what kind of help that means.