Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
apropos of nothing, i really love that "where are we going, anyway?" (extremely frieren deadpan) "heaven." exchange in ep7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think this is an anime about how history is moving towards a state where all problems are solved forever.

i choose to believe that the defeat of the demon king is an allegory for the end of the cold war, and the anime's thesis is a rejection of Fukuyama

on the other hand, sir, this is a Wendy'sshounen anime.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Ghosthotel posted:

shut da gently caress up.

frieren combat arcs rule because they give you a lot of insight into the characters involved and this won't be any different. Excited to see some characters get animated doing some Cool poo poo while also learning a lot about them.

mfers complaining about combat bits like this is an adaptation of a proust novel and not a weekly shounen manga. hell yes it has combat bits

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing of that is, Frieren is a well documented historical figure. People are still alive who spent time with her during the quest to kill the demon king, even if most of them are very, very old by now.

continuing with my idiotic "Sousou no Frieren is a rejection of the end of history following the close of the cold war" train of thought, Frieren is Eduard Shevardnadze.

obviously.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

GateOfD posted:

it is pretty interesting that the modern era of academic mages uses elemental spells.
and the girl Fern is fighting that says their most 'battle experienced mages' uses the magical blast type that is the "old system"

Like the throwing rocks, turning leaves into needles, and water/ice spells look nice...but man, I imagine those spells would do poo poo to demons and they would just laugh it off. Its all so very anti-human mindset spells with the assumption that you be fighting other humans rather than demons in a much more peaceful age. (even though there still are demon attacks all the time in the cities on the frontier)

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Have there been indications of some kind of magic academy in the magic city where people go to learn or does everyone just go the apprentice/self taught route

worldbuilding in frieren is very slow and sparse and very "show, don't tell" (which is good) but yeah, it kinda suggests that most mages go through academies (at least nowadays) and fern's kinda the oddball for studying under a master and having limited contact with broader magical society. ive not quite squared (or missed) how she got her level 3 qual though--hasn't she basically just been chilling at heiter's and studying until setting off with frieren?

i guess maybe in the timeskip between frieren arriving at heiter's and leaving with fern maybe she dropped down to the local magic city as a teenager and said "yo, exam me"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

all the efficiency concern feels kinda odd--you can technically exhaust your mana per the rules of the worldbuilding, but have we actually seen it happen? it seems pretty rare in practice. i guess babby fern not having enough to destroy the rock early on counts, but she was young and inexperienced

frieren was concerned about running out when their wagon got seized up into the air, but was then like "eh whatever" and they all landed fine anyway

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

alternatively, mages of this era just decided it was too boring compared to cool spells like TURN EVERY FLOWER PETAL TO METAL AND CUT YOUR ENEMY TO SHREDS WITH THEM! HARDCORE! BADASS!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe we should start taking bets on who's going to become a first-class mage and who's going to die.

everyone dies, the story continues on with stark alone

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I meant more that they know of an elf named frieren that was part of the hero's party since Lawine called her legendary. But its probably not that big of a leap to figure it out. I guess Kanne didn't pay attention in class or something

frieren wasn't actually concerned that fern would die, she just didn't want to deal with badgering her to read her magical history text because she knows no apprentice does

presumably flamme was like "yo frieren you should read this old magic grimoire" all the time and frieren was like "nah it aint got no demon killin techniques inside" BUT ACTUALLY obscure sour grapes spells turn out to be inexplicably useful for demon murder, and thus formed the seed of regret that spawned frieren's obscure grimoire obsession

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

TwoPair posted:

also here's a preview for the upcoming mini-arc of this larger arc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEkwCGJ3o7M

nice, the second test is getting the animation budget it deserves

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Squidster posted:

A rich and hearty lol that the manga version of the clone Laufen fight was two panels long. This is ALL of it.

And the animation team turned it into this.
https://streamable.com/whzgsg

Our sinful species doesn't deserve an adaptation this good

the manga being lazy about fights (or rather not drawing out fights with entire chapters of nothing but fight scenes) gives the animators plenty of free space to just fill in whatever cool poo poo they want and i love it

see also: all three pages of the qual fight versus ep 3. it's impressive how much you can fit into a minute of animation

the extra "oh you can fly now" bit is nice

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 17, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

that was a lot of talking. damnit, now i have to wait a whole nother week for all the cool finale animation

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

how come there's no warrior certification system anyway

mages and their silly gatekeeping nonsense. warriors just go kill poo poo, they dont need no killing poo poo level 5 license

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i love that the first shown fight following the "alright everyone target whomever's weakest against you" is Lawine fighting not-Kanne

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I absolutely did not remember Methode from the manga, probably because we didn't see her team in the first exam, but she is absolutely badass. Übel sure left an impression, though.
I genuinely like every one of the current participants. That's such an impressive feat.

she's maybe slightly more memorable than assorted wirbel companions and redhead meatball hair girl that's just sorta there all the time

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Brutal Garcon posted:

"Frieren carried them"? The first test was competitive, and the second scaled with the power of the participants.

arguably, frieren was the major impediment in the second test. a bunch of people got down to the bottom without even encountering any mimics, so if hers hadn't rushed down there to lock the door, they'd have just won easily

okay, maybe the demon would have sent not-Sense down there instead, but whatever

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sydin posted:

This show is really good at giving extremely strong characterization to characters in minimal screen time.

except laufen, who despite a fair amount of screen time, seemingly has negative characterization

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Fern has to kill Frieren for some convoluted reason

fern already killed frieren

just not real frieren

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Land was just being smart. If you can make perfect copies of yourself, you'd be stupid to ever put the "real" you anywhere near to anything even potentially dangerous.

come to think of it, we never do see a (demonic) clone of him show up during the second test, do we? that's a nice touch if im not just forgetting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Since the final episode came out, I finished watching the dub and it's one of the best dubs I've heard around and I strongly suggest you try it if you wanna give the show a rewatch. The only thing that that I could even complain about is that Denken's voice was higher than the sub and that threw me but you get used to it pretty quick. the MVP though is definitely Jordan Dash Cruz as Stark though.

really? i found it very hit or miss. stark is good but frieren sounds like she recorded all her lines solo without much direction

this may be one of those cases where i dont pick up on tone in japanese VA as well and don't notice how deadpan the JP VA is also