Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Agronox posted:

OP: "Yusha (Hero)" by YOASOBI
ED: "Anytime Anywhere" by milet

Here we go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msWDl0Ny-v0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFAYqLs1zGw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
VA livestream running now, just before the show airs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ2F748rFig

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Azran posted:

Just amazing. Had to pick up the manga because I know I'm going to love it from what little I've seen in these four eps. For those of you who speak Japanese, is there something going on with Flamme's speech? It sounded like she had an accent of sorts to my learner ears when she first appears (unlike when Frieren is reading from the book), but I don't think I noticed any old timey structures, if that makes any sense (unlike, say, the grammar patterns used by the main character in Rurouni Kenshin).

The Frieren manga thread might have some answers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924943

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Y9esqDspY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The animation during the dragon fight this episode felt like it was trying to be dynamic and impressive but it didn't quite get there for me, the direction felt off

Kvantum posted:

And Lodoss War is just based on the creator's modified D&D games, which was derived from LotR, so it all goes back to Tolkein.

Tolkien arguably had bossfights and leveling up, with Gandalf evolving after he fought the Balrog

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FZeroRacer posted:

but they operate on an entirely different thought process and the fact that they exist as a predator species feeding on humans means it's a very bad idea to do so.

Correct, exactly just the same as ChatGPT

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

In the first case, she wanted to hang around. fern and stark were the only ones doing any kind of investigations.

In the second case, it still serves to be quiet and see what the demons are up to

Also if she goes around dropping her name then the pesky humans will just annoy her endlessly with visitors and requests and banquets and pagaentry, it'd be a constant pain in the rear end

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

VideoWitch posted:

I do think the ChatGPT comparison falls flat because like demons are sapient, they are capable of understanding what things are unlike ChatGPT. Lugner clearly understands that Graf Granat keeping his son's room clean is meaningful, which is why he's able to make the lie about him keeping his Father's room clean. He's not just replying based on Mathematical model, demon's have intent.

ChatGPT also has intent, its function is "produce images for humans" and it learns via trial and error how to make images which are more pleasing to humans. Certain types of images seem to be less pleasing to humans (and have to be redone) so it learns to avoid doing that, even though it doesn't ever know why those types of images don't get the desired response.

The scene where the child demon 'replaces' the daughter it killed reminds me of a story of a supermarket in New Zealand which had an online AI app which would create recipes for customers based on the random ingredients they had left over and ended up suggesting recipes for rat poison sandwiches, “bleach-infused rice surprise” and an “aromatic water mix” which would produce chlorine gas. The demon and the supermarket app both completed the brief as far as they were concerned.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GloomMouse posted:

You'd think they'd pass around a sketch of Freiren at least, given how rare elves are. "Hey yeah I know we're all totally super powerful but uh if you see this one? You're probably screwed if you just proceed as usual"

We saw this episode why that wouldn't work, Lugner had fought against Freiren before and knew exactly how dangerous she was but even though she still looked exactly the same he didn't recognise her. He assumed she was just some random person who was below consideration so it simply didn't occur to him to wonder who she might be.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

The ending cut was good too. Oh btw, She IS one of the 4 heroes. They all didn't just get carried by Himmel.

And now she has 70+ more years of experience than when she was in the Hero's party, and she's been studying magic pretty much nonstop the entire time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Frieren obviously has no sympathy when dealing with demons but it's not like she went on a campaign to fight the remnants over the past 80 years. I guess she might be OK with them as long as they aren't trying to encroach upon human territory (with the Demon Lord being powerful enough to threaten humanity as a whole).

That'd tie back into the earlier discussion about treating demons like apex predators, if you see one casually wandering around a human town then it's already an emergency situation even if it's not currently attacking anyone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GloomMouse posted:

Humans have never spoken to, much less brokered a peace treaty with, an alien mind. We have however written a lot of stories about interacting with comprehensible but distinctly non-human minds, but it's really hard to do well because... we're humans and we want to see and write humans. It's just weird to see it while following around a DQ adventurer group rather than a starship. Peace of a sort seems possible, but not by treating them as humans with horns on.

I'm reminded of the 2010 scifi short story "The Things" which tells the events of the John Carpenter's The Thing from the perspective of the alien and it turns out it considers itself an "explorer, an ambassador, a missionary" whose purpose is to "commune" with other lifeforms by absorbing them, and when it realises that humans (the 'Things' in the title) are individuals who don't want to be consumed it is horrified and saddened and starts seeing them as "thinking cancers" and sets out to forcibly save them from their horrible isolation. From the human perspective it's a relentlessly violent evil force and the worst horror imaginable, from the alien's perspective it's just following its biological directives and doing the correct and ethical thing by consuming the humans and is acting with compassion and altruism.

Peace was definitely possible but the alien's definition of 'peace' is extremely different from the human definition. :v: Similarly, the demons in Frieren seem to have an extremely different view on death than the humans do.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 2, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
BOOYAH

The manga readers have been quietly waiting for the anime to catch up to this chapter, lol. It's been super hard to discuss Frieren's relationship to demons without referencing what was revealed in this chapter

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ChronoReverse posted:

As usual, what will happen was obvious to anyone paying attention from the moment Aura's gimmick was explained a couple episodes back but it's how the story told leading up to it that's interesting.

Also Frieren straight out explained she was more powerful than Aura several episodes ago but the demons just didn't believe her, lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder if actively suppressing your mana output counts as doing magical "work" and counts towards practice and development, because that would mean that Frieren and Fern were pretty much permanently doing a low impact magic workout. They'd be the equivalent of bodybuilders who develop insane core strength via constant reps but don't look yoked

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Das Boo posted:

Fern is Mom, tho?

Moms Need Love Too

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sharkmafia posted:

I think people say that because frieren and fern usually have poker faces during fight scenes. But that's clearly a choice on the part of the animators given how much they emote otherwise.

My assumption is that since demons use emotions as weaknesses to be exploited then Frieren realised at some point that if you show any genuine emotion during a fight you're just handing them ammo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

galagazombie posted:

Frieren has lasers, Hummel had anime sword sanic speed, Eisen is the hulk but short. What the hell did Heiter contribute? Maybe I forgot but have we even seen him like , Turn Undead or anything? He’s just throwing away the parties funds on booze.

He was Himmel's childhood best friend, apart from his Priest spell powers he's also pretty much the Sam to his Frodo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brutal Garcon posted:

Any fashionistas and/or topologists in the audience who can explain how Frieren's scarf works?

It's basically a simplified bow tie knot

In the real world I guess it's pretty much impossible to get that effect with a big floppy scarf, this was the closest I could find:

Cosplayers sure seem to struggle with it!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 4, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

If this is only stage one of the exam can I assume that we're gonna be on this track for the rest of the cour?

There's still another 9 episodes left to go so I wouldn't assume that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rand Brittain posted:

It could easily matter in a combat situation.

Yeah when Fern was fighting against Lugner and Qual both demons thought they had an easy win because they expected her mana to get depleted really quickly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

In a world where the strong guy is called Stark, I think you just have to roll with on the nose naming.

Frieren = 'to feel cold, to be cold', Fern = 'remote, aloof', Eisen = 'iron', Himmel = 'heaven', Heiter = 'bright', Ubel = 'bad', Kraft = 'power', Denken = 'think' ...

It's Star Wars levels of character naming, lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AlternateNu posted:

You don't need to see death lines when your attacks flatten the entire being.

He's not real observant so the ability to see health bars would help him realise that the enemy was in fact immediately flattened and he doesn't need to call Frieren names :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

Well yeah, she's a sexy mature lady, thank you very much.

E: avatar sized, in case anyone wants it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlowBloke posted:

Also i don't think there is a real 50 cal in the whole of Japan, that's airsoft at best with smoke added in post.

It really looks like the cosplayer mimed holding a gun for the photo and they photoshopped it into her hands awkwardly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Babe Magnet posted:

if you have to ask, you'll never know
________________/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

VideoWitch posted:

also like mana is just a reflection of how long a mage spent training. she was already a powerful mage when Frieren started training 1000 years ago, it would be nonsensical for her to have less mana then Frieren

Someone came up with a theory at one point that constantly suppressing your mana might be a form of magical training in itself, you're always flexing your magic 'muscles' and pretty much doing a workout even when you're asleep

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It would explain why Fern is such a beast, though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AlternateNu posted:

Frieren's delivery of and walking off when Serie goes all was absolutely perfect. :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Frieren bullet hell shooter: https://bullethellmaker.itch.io/frieren-shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sachant posted:

I'm cosplaying Old Himmel at a local anime con soon and am very much hoping to get a photo with all the million Frieren cosplayers and me just dead on the floor in front of them.

Were you inspired by that couple who cosplayed as Bruce Wayne's parents and got a ton of photos lying 'dead' in front of all the Batman cosplayers?? :v: