Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Live performance of an ED is actually pretty sick. I'd love to see the live band performing in picture in picture in the corner or something as the anime ED plays on the big screen, or just only showing the band performing and saving the standard ED animation and track for future episodes.

Between this and Oshi no Ko I'm really liking the big rear end OVA/movie length first episode for anime where that's an appropriate thing to do, and I hope more anime starts taking up that trend.

It's also a bit surprising that the ED is what's getting the live performance instead of the OP considering how hot YOASOBI is right now, but then again maybe it's the fact that they're so hot that makes doing a live performance really tough to schedule or too costly to pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm of a similar mind where I think it's good, verging on very good, but I think it's quite a ways from the best adaptations in terms of overall quality. It ranks significantly higher in terms of how well it adapts the vibe and story of the original manga, if that's the criteria you're judging it by.

I'm sure part of my feelings towards it are due to it not being the style of anime I necessarily tend to veer towards and really get sucked into. It's certainly no slouch though and I'm glad to see a manga I like getting a very solid adaptation.

That's also just my perspective four episodes in. It's entirely possible there will be some absolutely amazing episodes later on in the cour.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm glad we're at Stark now, things really start to gel when he's in the mix.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

A good episode here, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they animate the next episode and what sound effects/music they go with. If they threw money and talent at some stuff then I can see it being super memorable, and I think there's a lot of different approaches that could be taken. The animation, sound, and music of Fern's fight have me getting my hopes up for something really special.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hard to not make the end of the episode rock there. I was kind of hoping for really over the top music and truly insane effects, but I guess that's not the vibe of the show. I just really like that moment and I was hoping they went full show-off anime with it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

The manga tends to show the fights as like a two page tableau, and the animators seem to be having fun turning them into actual fights.

Yeah I think the main glow up for the anime has to be the fighting scenes or impressive use of magic scenes. The manga tends to go through those quickly and they aren't drawn with an amazing level of quality and detail or anything, so there's heaps of room for the anime to improve on them and they've done a good job of using that room.

According to the internet the anime will be 28 episodes too, which is much longer than I thought, so it's not a spoiler at all to say that we ought to be getting some more good fight animations and I think we'll be getting to a very fun arc with good fights and good magic near the end of the anime.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

GateOfD posted:

I think this episode highlights how above the level the current party actually is.
The former member of the hero party, a warrior trained by a former member, and a mage raised by one and trained by another.

They been getting wins and clearing mobs like nothing. So you might think its normal. But look at all the other instances.
Frieren entire village being wiped out, Stark's warrior village wiped out, the previous town against Aura was definitely on a losing battle, a stalemate at best, and just because of the barrier. That's what 99% of the the actual level of regular warriors and mages are, they can do basic pest control, but anything more than that, they just get killed and can barely hold a resistance against some random general. The average mage can probably just shoot fireball like twice a day or something. Not spam it like Fern.

The town Frieren clears out can't even handle a bunch of nameless mob monsters despite Frieren saying 'the town of keeper of the sword should have some skill' or something. But no they can't even handle some slightly over aggressive wolves. They say regular mercenaries wouldn't be able to handle it either.

They're definitely way above par, but the further north you go the messier/more dangerous things get, so that's where the serious mages, fighters, and priests are. I feel like a major city is tough for a typical demon to handle due to the sheer numbers involved too. Kind of like how in D&D you can be a super high level wizard but you'd almost certainly get beat by 200+ basic npcs with spears and crossbows. But if you're at the level of Fern or Aura, you can take on those kinds of numbers and come out on top. I do agree that at the moment it pretty much does boil down to them being overleveled for the areas they've passed through so far.

This latest episodes caught me right in the feels in the second half, which I'll choose to blame on watching it while having my usual insomnia late at night. This anime's done a great job of reminding me of why I liked this manga so much once I found out about it, since a lot of it has been stuff I've forgotten about.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm surprised Frieren didn't hit Sein with the pitch that they're heading to speak with the souls of the dead, so if his friend did die in his adventure they might be able to speak with him there.

That seduction technique is legit effective though. Flamme didn't mess around!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It was also fun early on to see Eisen say he's too old to go out adventuring when he was casually leaping way up in the air and knocking around a big monster with a tiny stick.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Mordja posted:

I assume that despite all his protestations he's got some 100-odd years left in him.

My best guess is that he's more in the 300-400 year range if he were to die of pure natural causes. He's still got nothing in Frieren's lifespan, but I mean that beard isn't even gray yet, I think he's still got some time in him.

dublish posted:

When else is she gonna get a chance to use 'pull someone out of a swamp' magic?

I wish we had gotten to see it and it was like, way more elaborate than it had to be. Smoothly levitates him out of the swamp, cleans all the dirt off him, plants a warning sign next to it, and 2 other unnecessary steps. Then Sein replies with something like "wow yeah, okay that was worth the wait."

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 2, 2023

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

This is so random and yet so great, I love it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

I do like that even though Frieren is a world-class mage who can kill even demon sages by herself, she has on multiple occasions been very nearly killed by mundane things like blizzards.

I think at least some of that is her being lazy though. Like if it was literally "we gotta live in this nonstop blizzard for a week" I feel like it'd be odd if she couldn't conjure up a magical flame to keep them warm or figure out some way to use the magic she knows to help them survive.

For my part, I like how many time skips come up. Like they just recently spent almost a year chilling in a cabin waiting for a winter to end. Meanwhile One Piece has been blowing my mind lately by reminding me that literally the entire manga has taken place over 3 years, maaaybe 4 if you want to be generous.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

GateOfD posted:

Frieren keeping the "eat sweets without gaining weight" spell to herself, or just figuring Fern doesn't care that much

All fantasy elves are always thin. She's just got that elf metabolism working in her favor. Legolas takes 20 ales to feel even remotely drunk and Frieren would need to eat 100's of those little cakes to gain weight.

I think Frieren must've drawn on her past experience with things happening to eat up loads of time on her last big adventure when she came up with that 10 year estimate for this current adventure as well. If they were just walking at a solid pace then even with some pretty big delays the continent of her world would need to be massive to make it take 10 years to travel it (Like, western coast of mainland Europe to eastern coast of Russia massive). But I guess "lose almost a year to a nasty winter" and "eat cakes while my warrior pretends to be a dead noble for 3 months" was within her calculations.

She''s also only traveling up about half the continent though, so it seems like a fatty of a continent when you think about it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Gonna hope for some more details about the serial killer mage murdering her previous exam proctor, because why would the city ever let her take another test again lol

My take on that is that as with many setting with magic and mages in them, it's a rare enough and important enough thing that no one wants to waste it by doing something silly like imprisoning a mage or not letting them into the formal magic guild's top ranks for straight up murder. We also don't know the full context of how she killed the proctor. If the proctor was fighting her as part of the test and she killed them, then that's a very different thing than sneak attack murdering them or lashing out with a surprise attack when they failed her or something.

There's also usually a lot of pride and ego in the mix among mages in fantasy, so it's very believable that they let her take the test because sure she killed a 1st class mage proctor, but clearly that proctor must've sucked and they definitely wouldn't be able to kill me, the awesome 1st class mage proctor of this particular exam. To be fair, there's probably some merit to that since I'd expect any proctors of a 1st class exam that only happens every 3 years to be better/more capable/tougher to kill than proctors of a 2nd class exam where the expected power level of the mages is lower and the tests are conducted more frequently.

Even if both tests are proctored/conducted by 1st class mages, there's obviously going to be differences in ability among all the 1st class mages depending on what magic they know or specialize in, how much mana they have on top, how much battle experience they have, how many are straight up magic geniuses, and so on. For a similar comparison, Frieren's new party members are technically at the same magic grade as Fern right now, but even with their teamwork I'd bet on Fern to beat them both in a fight at the moment unless they start the fight with Fern literally swimming in a lake or something.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Fern is really showing how much Frieren has rubbed off on her personality with how she's reacting and talking during the fight at the end of this latest episode, and to some degree how she was behaving throughout the episode. Just kind of calm and sleepy sounding there just like Frieren usually is. I guess some of that could be attributed to her being around strangers instead of the party she's been traveling with for a long time.

I admit to being a bit freaked out by "ordinary offensive magic" being tossed around in these fights knowing that it can penetrate through anything that isn't a magical defense and just annihilate people.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I also liked ninja mage moving super fast and doing classic anime fast movement stuff. Fun to see each mage have one main gimmick and stick to it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I was rereading the manga and it really stood out to me how much the anime has improved the action scenes and overall visuals compared to the manga. Just an overall really good adaptation here that's building well on the strengths of the source material.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I've liked seeing way bigger magic shield spells than are necessary so far in this 2nd test. It makes for a better visual generally, and it makes sense in the setting since to reach this level you gotta have the mana to throw up big shields or total sphere shields, and not everyone will have been trained to make tiny optimal shields like Fern was. It also retroactively makes Fern's fairly early feat defending against the demon that came up with Zoltraak more impressive since even if she only had to worry about defense and not offense, he did throw a wild amount of magic at her and she handled it super will with fast timing.

Here I think we're seeing a more "standard" approach to defense, especially when attacked unexpectedly, which is to toss up giant shields or fully not screw around and put yourself in a Shield ball like Denken did since it's better to overdefend than underdefend and there's all sorts of stuff out there that can kill you or seriously injure you by getting in one hit.

Hopefully both the anime and manga of Frieren keep on trucking along and we'll get to see many more seasons of rad fights employed sparingly and general feelgood vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I was keeping it together for the first half of that, and then the second half had me rolling.