Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Nebrilos posted:

Don't you think it's kind of fascist that demons are a race of sapient humanoids that are portrayed as just always evil? Like, if demons are coming to negotiate with you, it's a trick and they want you dead and you should just ignore what they say and kill them or if you see a demon child you should kill it immediately because the only good demon is a dead demon and even demon children are evil.

Scorpion and the frog.

Frieren has seen them be the same way for a thousand years. Even Lügner was like "yeah that's totally how we are lol".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

Really neat episode.

Episode 15

Second half also good. Love the Stark focused portions. Donuts! lol. Need a gif of the donut slap. I think Frieren mentioned Fern has been gaining weight. All these donuts probably added a few pounds.

Great dance scene. Poor Sein got rejected.

Wonder what book Feiren picked.

The scene of Fern getting her hand slapped while she tried to reach for a donut being immediately followed with the scene of the maid struggling to get Fern in a corset was a good way of showing that Fern totally gained weight due to unlimited access to snacks. She was double fisting the donuts after all, and lamented in a previous episode how they never got to eat sweets because of money.

Taking advantage of a situation works outside of the battlefield, too.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Boogalo posted:

Its the little details they did not have to do like the hair falling at the end that really elevate this show

Is... is this what happens when the animators aren't under crunch? Who knew?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Nitrousoxide posted:

The goddess, as depicted in episode 11, looks elivish to me.

https://twitter.com/Anime_Frieren/status/1725535372539736471

As depicted by an elf talking about the goddess that includes himself in the scenario.

You don't know if he's going off actual accounts of how the goddess looks, or if it's just a Jesus or Santa situation where their appearance is just whatever is relatable to the person bringing them up.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

VideoWitch posted:

I feel like the demon king secretly being alive would really undercut a lot of stuff, so I think Voll's line is more supposed to show that he is actually a bit senile at this point

Yeah I think that was supposed to be the takeaway from the visit, since they mentioned earlier that dwarves have a life expectancy of 300, and Voll is already 400, and Frieren hasn't seen him in like 80 years, so when she saw him last he was already very old even by dwarf standards.

I took the pairing of his story, and the story of the second half, to just be perspectives on memories and what they're worth to who, and for how long.

So I didn't see Voll's line about the demon king as something foreshadowing at all, but instead, took it as something sadder with that he's gotten so old that he can't remember anything past a certain point, and what he did remember prior to that is slipping away, and that he's kind of resigned himself to the fact that he'll die at some point without some of the memories he previously cherished.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Am I right in assuming that like the first season, the second season is already in the can and just has to air so that there's no crunch or rushing to put stuff out?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

VideoWitch posted:

Real good episode, though I do find it funny that the pacing of the manga means this episode fell after the cour break, feels like it should have come before it.

The break only being a single week off helped because they aren't going to lose any momentum leaving the first season where they did.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I had to check, but milet's Anytime Anywhere single was released as straight up the whole song and that's it.

I kinda wondered why they did that originally, but it totally makes sense now because goddamn imagine the chutzpah if it was released as ED1 single with TV version and full, and then again as ED2 single with TV version and full.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

cant cook creole bream posted:

This is a weird time to include Sein in the OP. But I guess. There are a bunch of other poeple in there too.
I loved that Sein had a quick flashback of the montage as he realized they didn't really hang out together during those shots.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets removed from the OP to reflect his status.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Those clouds look like boobs, and that one looks like a turd!

He goes from being a compassionate guy who helps out everyone around town to laughing at poop jokes without skipping a beat.

Even then, his next thought was that he totally wanted to share something he found amusing to Fern when he sees her, and then immediately tries to share something he found amusing to Fern the second he saw her.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

And then quickly dropping it when he reads her face and realizes yeah, maybe not.

It's honestly kind of sad whenever he does that, because he's never had that many people in his life to share things that makes him happy, and getting shot down so quickly just puts him back in that cycle of self-doubt.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

I always thought personally that Frieren was over 500 but below 1000, cause if she was flexing on Aura, I figured if she was over 1000, she say over 1000 years of mana, instead of just saying 500 to further push the 'you just hosed up' vibe

Aura was the one who said she was over 500 years old. Frieren's response was (to Aura) was that the mage in front of her was over 1000 years old, before revealing the size of her mana to Aura. Neither Aura nor Frieren would have any reason to lie about how many years of mana they've accumulated, as they both felt they had the upper hand and were going to end things soon, and lying about their mana levels would be against Aura's base nature and Frieren's general attitude.

Frieren being at least 1000 years old has already been established since episode 4 when her, Eisen, and Fern were looking for Flamme's tree, where Frieren mentioned (to herself) about how even after 1000 years she's still doing what her master says.

Even in the manga, Aura explicitly says she's over "五百 年" (500 years), and Frieren says she's over "千 年" (1000 years).

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 16, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

galagazombie posted:

I personally didn’t like how “human” Aura was. It was at odds with the whole “Chinese Room” vibe her henchmen or that flashback little girl demon or the trio that Flamme murked had which sold Frieren’s description of how demons work. Instead she just kinda seems like a smug rear end in a top hat. A jerk yes, but more in a “spoiled evil princess” way than a “T-800/1000 in infiltration mode” way.

She's been presented as smug and overconfident as all the other demons we've seen so far have been. She was extra overconfident with Frieren based on her previous encounter with Himmel and his party and the fact that they had to run away from the fight because they couldn't defeat her. Qual was as overconfident, but the difference is that he was a fast learner and was able to pivot when he realized things were different.

Also Frieren remarked that Aura being over 500 is long-lived for a demon, and given that she has an army of corpses under her control and demon underlings, it's not a stretch to say that in addition to having killed countless humans, she's killed more than a few demons in her time to get to the position of power she was currently in.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

She lived longer so knows to act more human than some noobs only doing it for a hundred years.

Or at the minimum, send someone who can do it for her, ie the "peace envoy".

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I guess my problem is more the elf-thing than anything else. I feel like The Council of God King Mages should know that 1) elves are long lived, 2) they're rare enough people probably wouldn't even know about them if Freiren hadn't been in the heroes party, and 3) Frieren the Hero Mage looks and acts identically to this new elf mage that just showed up and signs all her paperwork as "Frieren". It could be spoilers for later, maybe there's magic to change your appearance so fake-elves or even fake-Frierens are a known problem in the wider magical community, or it's a commentary on the Magic Association or something, I just thought it was weird.

It's definitely not ruining the show for me, I just roll my eyes a little, especially when it's from people that I feel should know, and especially given the wonderful world-building in the story as a whole.

Also, anime-only speculation on the weird elf in both OPs, but that's gotta be the Demon King, right?

There have already been instances of both humans and demons who have met Frieren in the past who didn't realize that the Frieren in front of them now was the same Frieren from then.

It wouldn't be a stretch to think that a lot of people have only read about Frieren and have no idea what she looks like, and for those that knew Himmel and Heiter died, to think that the entire party is dead because of time. Frieren was nobody until the defeat of the Demon King, and she immediately hosed off into obscurity afterwards. Even at Himmel's funeral, there were people there who were like "hey is that the elf mage that was in his party?". And from what has been shown so far, all the statues they've come across have been of just Himmel, so there's nothing to reinforce what Frieren looks like, and enough time has passed that people don't know who Himmel is by sight alone (i.e. his statues).

It also wouldn't be a stretch for someone to come across a mage named Frieren and just assumed someone named their kid Frieren because they were a mage otaku; I'm sure there are tons of Himmels running around out there.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

in the middle of the spell spamming
Cut back to Stark eating a parfait by himself.
"I was pretty sure it was way bigger before"

back to spell spamming

episode gonna go hard, the cold open was great lol. I don't even know the name of the flying earth mage girl, but her being like wtf she's just throwing her power at the target, no character at all lol

Ehre.

It's no wonder Frieren thinks both mages and demons of the current era are a bunch of scrubs. Too much expositing, not enough exploding. No point in explaining yourself to an opponent that you're just going to kill.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

tbp posted:

btw are we supposed to understand that frieren and fern are like, a solid level above the other mages they've been interacting with. that's the vibe i get but idk if i'm jumping to conclusions

Well I mean Frieren is Frieren so she is light years away from nearly everyone in general.

Frieren's comment about Draht when she fought him about how demons in this age are hopeless because they lack battle experience goes for mages as well.

You get a sense of who has and hasn't been in a fight where they've been seriously challenged, or have had to make a legitimate decision whether or not they have to kill another human. Ehre, and Kanne and Lawine especially, give off the "we did well in school but have never really had to use this stuff practically" vibes, which you saw with Kanne and Lawine utterly failing to capture the first stille because they were overconfident, not assessing the situation first or even listening to someone they knew was more experienced, and just jumped in to it thinking they had it in the bag (or cage, as it were).

We already know Fern is talented for her age from just a pure magic standpoint because of how she passed the third-class exam, she has the added benefit of being trained by Frieren, who has an old-head mindset and drilled in to her the types of things mages around during the time of the Demon King would have needed to not die, and Fern has had to use that training in the real world where death was absolutely a possibility if she hosed up (as she noted, the only reason why Lugner didn't straight up kill her as soon as he attacked her was because of his ego, she knows she would have been dead otherwise). Fern is also being trained by someone that predates blocking "ordinary offensive magic"; you see it in her fight with Lugner that she wasn't trying to block everything, and you see it in her fight with Ehre that Ehre was trying to block everything and got completely overwhelmed due to the mana penalty compared to Fern going brrrrrr.

Probably the only "weakness" Fern has compared to some of the other mages in the exam that would actually be a threat is that unless the situation is absolutely dire and there is no other way around it, she's not going kill to a human. We know Wirbel has killed people (even if he has to work up the nerve to do it), we know Ubel has definitely killed people, Richter has pointed out that Denken has probably killed people or had people killed due to political ambition, and Richter has probably killed people (given his immediate and primary plan was "yo i'mma kill these kids" and 100% meant it since Denken had to tell him to not kill the kids).

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Kvantum posted:

storieswithstyle has a 3-hour video going into quintessentially German levels of detail about the meanings of the names and what they might reveal about the future of the story. (He's an anime-only thusfar.)

https://youtu.be/v_QP06N1mnk?si=8ATAY2gt969SH_yw

Yeah I saw a different German-speaking reactor watching the show, and one of the things she asked was "are they going to have to change the names for a German dub?" because the names are like so comically on the nose that it would be a little absurd to just keep them because it would be a bit too immersion breaking.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Mulva posted:

.....did I loving hallucinate seeing that animated?

e: Jesus Christ.

You're getting confused because you're thinking of the manga because it's different.

In the manga, Fern's team is having the conversation about going in to hiding after Fern captures a stille, and then making the decision to replenish their water at the lake, while already walking along the dry riverbed.

In episode 19, that conversation starts in a cave, and after they make the decision to head to the lake they then start walking along the dry riverbed.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
For anyone that might be in to this sort of thing, milet released her Anytime Anywhere EP yesterday.

There are two versions: the 1st is just the "normal" EP, which has "Anytime Anywhere", the song used for ED1 and ED2; and "bliss", the song used for the special ending for Japan where they aired episodes 1-4 as a single episode, as well as the song used as the insert song for episode 11, in addition to two other songs ("Higher", which was used in a TV commercial for Nissan, and "Wings", which was used in a TV commercial for Idemitsu Kosan).

The second version is the "Anime Version", which is two discs, the 1st disc being the full versions of Anytime Anywhere and bliss, as well as the "TV size" versions of ED1, ED2, and the special ED for the Japanese airing of 1-4. The second disc is a Blu-ray disc containing the Anytime Anywhere music video (the actual one as found on milet's YT channel), as well as creditless videos for ED1, ED2, and the special ED.

I ordered the regular version off Ototoy just for lossless, as I don't need the TV versions of anything or the Blu-ray.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
For anyone wondering, Serie is voiced by Mariya Ise, who you've probably totally heard before and not realized.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Doodles posted:

Is it just me, or did Siere sound a bit like a mob boss? "...this is how you say hello?"

If she gives Frieren "an offer she can't refuse," would we be expecting a beheaded hamburger in Fern's bed later?

TBF, Eisen was like that too when Frieren rolled up and was like "yo I'm here to hang out".

Eisen: Frieren wtf it's been like 30 years.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
You caught that stille now you can catch these hands.

Also every time I see Kanne I think of the ligma meme, and she would be the one asking who Steve Jobs is. She's trying her best but man she needs to go back to school.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Also Kanne and Lawine are in some really contorted poses in the background. I think they actually like each other.

A stretch and a Romero Special makes me think someone at Madhouse is a fan of wrestling. Maybe even ChocoPro.

TwoPair posted:

Plus we don't know when exactly you get certified. Like Lawine and Kanne went to some magic academy, but does just graduating automatically register you as an apprentice-level mage or something? We don't really know.

Magic Academy is like mage JROTC I guess lol. Get those extra stripes out the gate.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 2, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

the tall mage lady sure is useful. She was pretty good during the fight initial fight against the the first copy.
seems very knowledgeable and even trained a bit into a subclass job as Priest to use minor heal.

aka Sein really hosed up

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

How does that even work? I don't understand why the legs wouldn't just slip away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEEsOr2CrsA

The person taking it is locked in by their feet being pointed inwards. They're being pulled downwards and pushed upwards simultaneously so that they can't point the toe downwards and rotate the foot outwards to free their leg.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 2, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Yawgmoft posted:

I mean if she was laying low from Flamme to Himmel it probably either occurred before she met Flamme (and was able to take out a general so she definitely was powerful) or during the Hero's journey.

In the flashback during episode 18, Frieren was showing Himmel and co the holy emblem, and they had no idea what it was, and noted that it was already old and rusty.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
holy hell this episode. seeing all this from the manga get animated this episode was crazy.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Mordja posted:

No maniac would put twothree mimics in a single room.

gacha players be like

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

The junk collector posted:

Honestly he practically killed himself coming up with that plan.

this show likes to remind people that underestimating tends to result in detached parts.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Übel's logic on how her cutting magic works is perfectly logical to me. To me the others saying she's insane tells me that they don't understand magic as well as she does in a pure way.

It's funny that everybody's like "you can't do that" when they're talking about magic like they aren't already doing poo poo that inherently defies logic.

Mages should be required to take creative writing classes or something.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Rewatching the ep just to remember who decided to fight who.

Do you think Richter teamed up with Lawine to take on replica Kanne and replica Lawine because he thought he would actually be a good match against Lawine, or because he really just wanted to show Lawine that he could kill her by killing her replica in front of her?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

RuBisCO posted:

Maybe she just comes across worse because this is Sense's very biased retelling of events

Don't worry about the bodies in the forest that Kraft found though.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Where do people get the idea it's been the same exam every time?

If anything, the proctors of the First Class mage exam would want to make sure that the exam is different every single time, or else people would figure out a strategy beforehand, and that would take away the important lesson of learning to think on your feet and work with others that you may never have or never want to work with to complete a mission.

If Lawine didn't have knowledge about the dungeon beforehand because of her brothers, I doubt her and Kanne would have been able to get to the bottom to meet up with everyone (which someone noted), Kanne especially. Also when she presented what she knew about the dungeon to the group, everyone looked to take it as new information, which implies that nobody else knew anything about the dungeon beforehand or thought to ask anybody who might know about it during the 3 days between receiving the notification to meet at the Ruins of the King's Tomb and the exam (and this also kind of implies that Lawine didn't know about the details of the dungeon until after getting the notice, and that she just asked her brothers if they knew about it since they happened to be in town, otherwise she probably would have shared that info with Frieren or otherwise reacted accordingly if she knew already).

Also the conversation between Sense and Genau at the end of episode 22 implies that Sense has never run an exam there before, and the conversation between Genau and the dude with glasses in episode 24 kind of confirms it: when dude asks Genau why Sense chose to have a test there; if she'd done it there before, he'd already know why.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 13, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
FEET: THE ANIME

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 15, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Serie is mostly pissed that now she doesn't have that
Spell anymore. That's how her thing works right?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a manga spoiler as it hasn't been brought up in the show yet?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

Can't believe Land passed, I guess he got 'guts' but really, he didn't do anything really during the exam lol. He won like one battle in the forest, that's it.

Being powerful means gently caress all if you're dead or become an injured liability. If Land can send out clones to do all his poo poo for him with zero risk to himself but gets whatever knowledge they get that is incredibly advantageous for a variety of reasons, especially if all the clones have the same abilities as the original. Even Ubel recognized the value in that immediately.

Land passed all parts of the exam completely untouched.

That kind of haxx bullshit is incredibly up Serie's alley.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is Denken supposed to be a dwarf (species) or just a short old guy?

He got short as he got older like Himmel did.

You can see how he used to look when he was younger when he has his flashback in episode 19 when his party is walking away from the lake and he talks about when he saw powerful mages being persecuted because people were afraid of them.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

boz posted:

What chapter would I start the manga at to continue on from the anime?

(Or are there enough differences I should just start at the beginning)

The anime ended on chapter 60, so you can start on 61.

The show has actually been a fairly faithful adaptation (in fact, it actually fleshes out several scenes that were only a page or a panel originally), so you don't need to read the earlier chapters unless you want.