Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Add the studio and some basic main va. info to the OP to make it more complete imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

starting episode 1 now with a giant plate of curry

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

done with the episodes. It was good, but not gushing as much as everyone else.
First two was great. 3rd was good. 4th was kind of a setup so it was okay. Wish it ended with them meeting the red haired boy in the OP to finish the new party, but its nothing against it.

I like the subtle facial expressions. Like Frieren does have a slight emotionless face, but they do give a lot of slight details whenever she's feeling emotion or something. and Fren is so cute when she's annoyed and puffs her face.

Like the little personality quirks like Frieren's hobby of collecting spells, getting struck in things. Hemmel's narcissistic trait in the flashbacks.

Also I think it makes a lot of sense that for a long lived species like Freiren that she's very loose with money versus short-lived species like us who are obsessed with hoarding as much of it as we can till we die. I do like that the series doesn't really treat long life as a curse like other series, sure there are things to deal with, but Frieren doesn't fall in despair that she lives long, that's just how it is for her. Like the ways they reinforce her time perception like "its just a mere 30 years" A month doesn't mean anything to her.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

love me a good anime montage

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what day is Frieren Day gonna be

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

really like the OP song and actually paid attention to the lyrics. Love them, really highlights the tone of the show.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

First half with the ghost illusion demon was a good opener.

I was feeling bad for the Red Dragon, its just minding its own business, and they're gonna kill it for a random spellbook. But I guess they covered themselves by mentioning it randomly attacking the nearby village. Still feel it doesn't deserve to get killed for that.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

its like oh no, the dragon killed a bunch of adventurers.
well, I'm pretty sure they were trying to break into his home and rob his stuff anyway, like what Frieren is trying to do. They didn't even try to ask to trade for it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Avengers: Endgame? Dragon Quest. Thanos is the demon lord

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i love the line delivery of this old dwarf, i hang on every word he says

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

episode 6
Part A:
I thought the fight was nicely animated. Stark airborne maneuvers was really neat.
I like the bit about fear. The best warriors aren't ones that aren't afraid to die, but the ones that are afraid of dying the most. is a pretty common motif, but its done with such grace here. Wonder what other stuff the group decided to pick from the loot.

Poor dragon. Maybe you can be isekai'd as a human on earth.

Part B:
lol, Frieren knew exactly what she was trying to do. Liked how Stark was reacting to the ice cream he was eating.
I still think Mcd Mcdoubles are a pretty decent size.

Those Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizzas sure do seem small now though.

I always seen eiyuu referred to as hero as the common word of hero.
yuusha as a main or class.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

She's still a kid, she doesn't know its suppose to expand.

also it might have been a cold day

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I actually do like the “things change over time”
But also like “some things never change” cause that can be true as well.
And demon culture just being counter to humans can be part of that, if that’s just their nature

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

love the way the guards carry Frieren off, like a sack of potatoes

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

bunch of people here that would get eaten by demons or fall for the forest phantom

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i like how we see a bunch of humans, Stark and the hero use the phase "we're capable of speech with eachother"
and the demon learned to mimic and use it even though they don't have the same empathy or even understand it. its just words to them that lets them hunt better.

in the end, humans are stupid and forget easily. Frieren is long-lived and seen the same attempts repeated over and over.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

only in this instance, koko's aim is to just rip arms off

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

we all know how this forum's opinion of slaves is though, don't think domesticating the demons thru specific breeding is the solution

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

No, my point is language is clearly being used for communication as well as deception, so the claim that it's one or the other is plainly false. You're not taking to chatgpt.

Peace treaties have been drawn up between sides that completely hate each other and have lasted for a long time. You don't need empathy, you just need a logical recognition that war sucks. Demons don't wanna die and they don't need to kill humans, humans seem really scary in this setting (see how quick they adapted to and surpassed that killing spell) and hold a grudge, so why are they dumb? Sure you can burn one town, but what does that gain you? It's basic cause and effect.

obviously they use words to communicate with eachother too.
"demons only used human language to deceive people"

its a line saying its a tool they use to do it and will say anything to do it and to not put any value in what they say.
Are you taking that phrasing literally? Do you need the context explained about why "People die when they are killed"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

In the first case, she wanted to hang around. fern and stark were the only ones doing any kind of investigations.

In the second case, it still serves to be quiet and see what the demons are up to

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Frieren is the other side of demons.

Demons hunt humans, can talk and aggressive towards them
Frieren is indifferent (thought changing slightly). But for the most part, elves see humans as a human would treat a pet hamster. You can bond and care for them but they be gone in a year.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

no idea why the chatgbt word keeps appearing the past few pages about this, drop that

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

. If we can coexist with predatory wild animals, I don't see why demons would be any different.

But we don’t? We literally dispose of any wild animals that look at us cross eyed.

Even if a bear attacks a human, and it’s the human’s fault for provoking it, we kill the bear.
And the bears aren’t even trying to trick humans on purpose or bears considering humans a main source of food

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 24, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I’m from humanville and I say kill them all!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Just so you know, I'm strong.

you know you already lost after that line.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

so much for the ones saying demons are smart enough to build a community together..surely...

well here they don't even give a crap about eachother when the other dies, just oh well. its just the barest amount of cooperation because it makes sense.

similar to how birds stick around or fly together sometimes.

Graf, the town leader, while he was tricked by the deception in the beginning, he was able to realize quickly something is wrong with the dead guard, and missing elf, and missing 3rd demon. I like that. Everyone so far has been acting reasonably.

Frieren doesn't hesitate at all against the string demon, just shows how much experience she has. Not a bad way to go honestly, with Frieren on top and choking you to death.
I like that Fern realized right away when the girl demon was talking and trying to buy time, she's really smart.

And love Stark. Afraid, but willing to fight and protect if need to anyway. Very brief this episode, but very good. He also knows to prioritize the injured and knows to make the right call when he SHOULD run. Both showed very level headed responses.

The ending cut was good too. Oh btw, She IS one of the 4 heroes. They all didn't just get carried by Himmel.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 28, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Deadeye fish stare is sexy

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Frieren killed that scrub demon totally staffless and could probably kill hundreds without one

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Didn’t expect the action scenes to be S+ class as well. Just looks so good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Finished the episode.
Fern’s stoicism is great. Makes sense when she was trained by Frieren as well. What is she suppose to do, scream a bit or something to sell it like a wrestling match? No, you stay calm. She probably wasn’t even that injured, probably protected it with mana at the point of contact and was just a surface wound.

The extreme stoicism just makes it better when Fern shows her deredere side.

Love every flashback with Stark and Eisen.

When Aura mentioned Himmel’s name, Frieren didn’t react much, but you can tell she’s pissed.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Radditz making up with goku

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say that Stark is the more extreme case. Fern seems to recognize she's an above average mage with great casting speed. Sure, she underrates herself, but not on a level that's notable day-to-day.

Stark, meanwhile, thinks of himself as a cowardly hoax who can barely keep up on a good day, unaware that his master hit him that one time on reflex because Stark's raw combat power was the scariest thing that he'd ever seen. This episode, it was demonstrated in him steeling his nerves to accept a mutual kill... and then only getting chip damage as he one-shot the demon.

Hm, I guess it was him tanking it? Cause he seemed to be taking battle wounds normally.
When I read it, I i interpreted it as him giving it all on attack. But her attack didn’t slash thru because she wasn’t committed to the dual death and held back for defense (which didn’t help at all)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Stark rushing forward with Fern’s light show in the background was for a few secs. on studio ghibli level

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Wonder if since Fern learned the “ordinary offensive magic (laced with anti-magic demon)” it just turns demons to dust very easily, but against humans the same blast just knocks them out.

It be neat to have a scenario where a not so strong demon takes someone hostage like the one Himmel killed in the flashback.

And Fern just blasts both the hostage and the demon with a mild blast, and the demon just disintegrates, and the hostage just gets knocked back into a tree and is a little stunned.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Well yea if you want to since that was the goal, but I think Fern can adjust the mana to make it strong enough to kill a demon, but not kill a human.

Like when Frieren is training Fern on how to properly shield. If she messes up, doubt Frieren shot her with a killing shot, versus the charge up on that demon general she New Game+ on

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

So it’s like if a Venusaur is taking Pikachu hostage.
And Fern is a Charizard who uses Fireblast on both of them.

The Venusaur would take Super Effective damage and lose all of his HP
The pikachu would still take damage, but just normal damage and only suffer mild injuries.
You can replace the Pikachu with a rock type who’s weak to grass but resistant to fire if you want to if it’s another human mage who also has some innate mana resistance.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

10/10 of the season

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

its pretty crazy how much of a monster/genius Flamme is shown to be, just from the few flashbacks we seen so far.

I guess elves themselves are rare, not just because they have a low reproduction drive, but because the demon lord erased as many as they could in the past

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 11, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ChronoReverse posted:

Whoa that was cold.

its so amazing at least with the Fern fight, Luguar had the 'honor' of dying in battle in a mage fight. Frieren didn't even let Aura die by magic, just orders her to kill herself in such a mundane unceremonious manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I think Frieren also secretly likes doing that.