Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Mirage posted:

Lukewarm take: So-called "JRPG fantasy" like this is aping Record of Lodoss War the same way that Western fantasy is constantly aping Lord of the Rings. Big-eared elves and Hero-as-profession and such stuff all came from that one seminal work. Everything that came afterward is following already established convention.

At least Frieren doesn't have a status screen and worry about leveling Fern up.

And Lodoss War is just based on the creator's modified D&D games, which was derived from LotR, so it all goes back to Tolkein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Episode 10. It's my favorite moment in the entire manga thusfar, and the anime does not disappoint.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Ranzear posted:

Ah yes, the fun colorful Robin Williams vehicle of a children's film about ... eugenics.

Unrelated:

The fact that they're both voiced by the same actress will always floor me, each and every time I think about it.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

galagazombie posted:

Mimic teeth can’t be terribly sharp with how little injury Frieren seems to sustain from constantly being chewed on.

In 3e D&D, they only did bludgeoning damage and didn't have a real bite attack.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Spookydonut posted:

Is there going to be a coir break or are they doing it non-stop?

I don't think we get a new episode next week, but other than that it'll be continuous.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Spookydonut posted:

happy frieren withdrawal day

If you've been watching it subbed, now you can rewatch the entire thing so far dubbed.

Or not.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Also, anime-only speculation on the weird elf in both OPs, but that's gotta be the Demon King, right?

If you really want spoilers, either send me a PM or else head over to the manga thread. Otherwise wait. They will be revealed by the end of this season AFAIK.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

M_Gargantua posted:

Meanwhile Kraft made a fortune off of Ea-Nasir’s copper

I think this is simultaneously the deepest and nerdiest and possibly most brilliant reference I have ever seen on the Internet, no joke. My hat is off to you, good sir. Ea-Nasir. Perfect.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Arc Hammer posted:

In a world where the strong guy is called Stark, I think you just have to roll with on the nose naming.

storieswithstyle has a 3-hour video going into quintessentially German levels of detail about the meanings of the names and what they might reveal about the future of the story. (He's an anime-only thusfar.)

https://youtu.be/v_QP06N1mnk?si=8ATAY2gt969SH_yw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Chair In A Basket posted:

Great episode can't wait to see what new arc they start next week. Maybe a Stark arc. STARC.

Uhh... who wants to tell them?