Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Xelkelvos posted:

While you wait, you can read the scanalations of the other manga!

Why are there two manga adaptations of Apothecary Diaries? Did the one just get cancelled after a couple volumes or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Sounds like a show I do not want to watch in the slightest, thanks for the warning!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
One of the reviewers on Anime News Network said they weren't sure if Migi & Dali was horror or comedy so I watched it and it instantly clicked that it was "creepy twins" played for laughs.

Pretty good show. I will watch more of it. Very sad about the manga author's passing.

That's my review for episode one. Please pay me to review anime because I can apparently do a much better job than that guy.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I remember reading the synopsis for 80,000 Gold when I first started getting into manga and thinking it sounded like an interesting premise. But actually watching it was such a disappointing experience. I gave up around when the fat, arrogant noble is parading around her shop and belittling her (and even sexually threatening her????), but—SURPRISE!—everything has perfectly worked out in the protagonist's favor and the shallow revenge plot is neatly tied up almost as quickly as it was introduced.

Just taking an interesting premise and doing absolutely nothing notable with it. How's she going to handle converting her material wealth in the fantasy world to something usable on Earth? How will the fantasy world change after she introduces Earth goods to it? Things like this are briefly considered and the handwaved away as if the author had no interest in anything other than just straightforward "everything's going pretty well for our hero, I betcha wish you were in her shoes" slop. Which wouldn't even necessarily be a terrible thing if it felt cozy or amusing or anything, but it just... plods along and along. It was a very disillusioning experience in my "manga & anime guy" career.

From what I remember reading, Survive Using Potions is pretty much the same thing. You either have to put hard limits and definitions on "I can make whatever potions I want in whatever container I want at any time and in any quantity" or you have to lean in HARD to exploring how insane that kind of power could be. Instead, you get the protagonist changing her hair color with a potion to escape a second or third story room, rather than doing something fantastical like creating an invisibility potion to sneak out, or a flight potion to leave through the window, or a hypnosis potion, or an intangibility potion, etc.

I feel like I put more thought into this post than the author did for either series.

GateOfD posted:

if Potions and 80,000 is made by the same author, does it mean they're actually a finished LN for once

Baka / Manga Updates says both novel series are still ongoing.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

GateOfD posted:

yea that's how it goes in the anime, guess he stopped before it got there.

think he's just expecting too much in a casual living series

I went past that point; I just thought it was a pretty boring answer. Having to balance having access to an alternate reality with real world logistical questions was one of the things that sounded interesting from the synopsis, but it's all neatly solved with "a Blackwater-esque PMC will just take all of her gold dubloons with no questions asked."

I like slice of life stories too, but nothing in 80,000 Gold was very compelling in that regard either. She has no supporting cast to bounce off of except for the most one-dimensional nobodies, so it's only her selling shampoo to nobility. At least until the point I stopped.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Are you people talking about the yuri villainess show or the one with the high schooler who dates a gyaru?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I originally was talking about the latter and someone misunderstood as the former and now we're talking about the former.

The gal show also seems fine so far.

Ah, gotcha.

Which one has the most laffs per minute? That's all I need to know.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

I saw this a few months ago, too. I'd see it again if I could round up some friends or if it doesn't screen too far away.

If recent movies are fair game for this thread, I saw Blue Giant earlier this week, not knowing much about it other than that it was about jazz music and was based on an award-winning manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUf5R-MzITU

The plot and dialogue were average—I think two or three different characters uttered the words "so, this is jazz" after hearing a saxophone for seemingly the first time, and there was also a bit of a twist I smelled coming a couple minutes before it happened that I rolled my eyes at. There were also some parts that felt like exposition dumps that I'm guessing were vestigial leftovers from cramming a bunch of manga volumes into a single film.

The music itself was quite good. I believe there are three or four original pieces the group plays throughout the film and they were all enjoyable. You would hope that a jazz anime would be a little creative with the animation during the musical performances—and there are some great sequences with a synesthetic quality to them—but about 80% of the animation during these parts is really jarring CG. I know making GBS threads on CG is trite, but it really killed the enthusiasm I felt for the good stuff that was in there. Some of it also seemed to be reused.

I left the theater feeling a little disappointed, but overall happy to have given it a shot. The soundtrack is also on Spotify if you type in "Blue Giant," listed under the composer's name "Hiromi."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZKDdzqN6B4

In other anime movie news, Cinemark has been doing a Ghibli revival this year (which is how I saw the trailers for Blue Giant). Halloween weekend will be the final one for the year, Spirited Away. Miyazaki's next film—The Boy and the Heron or How Do You Live?—is also supposed to premiere December 8.

They're also showing some Satoshi Kon films plus Cowboy Bebop: The Movie and the original Ghost in the Shell going into February. I missed seeing Perfect Blue last month because as far as I can tell there was no advertising for this series other than a single poster in my theater.

Is there any way to keep up when theaters screen anime films, old and new? Even clicking on the "animated" tag on Fandango doesn't list Spirited Away. I also missed roughly half of the Ghibli films they screened this year.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Agronox posted:

whaaaat...

This is really good to know, thanks for posting it.

I'm sorry I didn't post about it earlier but it kept slipping my mind. I think they also showed a lot of Miyazaki's movies throughout last year, too, so you should get the chance to see them all in theaters if you keep your eyes peeled in 2024.

They tend to do only one screening a week of the dub and subtitled version each (different nights), though I think Spirited Away is getting a couple more screenings since it's one of the bigger ones.

Srice posted:

Sadly there's no easy way, only way I'm able to catch them all is because I meticulously check the listings for all of the local theaters in my area every week since besides anime there's a lot of indie movies that only exist out there for a week or two at most.

I guess I'll just have to get into the habit of searching for "Ghibli" on Fandango and ctrl+F-ing "animation" on Box Office Mojo every god drat week.

It's annoying as gently caress. Movie theater chains: I want to see the classics on a big screen! Let me give you my money!

edit: this site might help for anime and some other Japanese films, looks like a blog that gets manually updated

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 12, 2023

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
PSA: Just a reminder that you might be able to catch screenings of Suzume and Spirited Away in theaters over the next week.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Srice posted:

Just a heads up that an anime movie from last year called The Tunnel of Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes is getting shown in some theaters this weekend. There was no fanfare leading up to this. I saw it earlier this year with some terribly janky fansubs and despite the awful translation I still found it compelling in a way that kinda reminded me of Voices of a Distant Star. Will I watch it again now that I can see it with a translation that doesn't accidentally change a character's gender several times in the same sentence? Absolutely.

Good looking out, devil dog

The original Ghost in the Shell is doing limited runs around November 8

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I caught up on Migi & Dali with my friends and we're really digging it. It's always enjoyable to see someone's bizarre plans come into fruition while still backfiring in unexpected ways. The supporting cast are total freaks in their own rights.

I also was surprised that the twins have distinct personalities. I didn't even realize they had two different voice actors.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

haypliss posted:

Migi and Dali continues to be insanely good. Not going to discount the early eps and their valuable establishing work but from 4 onwards it has kept topping itself with new ridiculous plans and significant progress through the main mystery.

I hope Migi gets a girlfriend soon and ditches his toxic brother. He deserves better. It's what his mother would want.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Anime films showing this month, courtesy of yattatachi.com:

The Boy and the Heron / How Do You Live?, premiering December 8. The latest film from Miyazaki & Studio Ghibli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7EDFdA10pg

:siren: and for a few nights only beginning December 11, Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers. During the Christmas season, three homeless people find a baby in the trash. A great comedy-drama if you've not seen it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUEUrK6Xbo4

(Not anime, but that site also reminded me that the new Godzilla film is out now. It's set in post-war Japan and is supposed to be great in the same way that the first Godzilla and Shin Godzilla were.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I would say that I like Under Ninja, but I have no idea what the actual plot is and neither do the two friends I watch it with. I was actually convinced we had missed an episode or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
how quickly you forget the (tennis) tournament arc