Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

drat. I think its a neat idea to explore adult life for characters from a very teen-focused genre like that.

Digimon Adventure also did the same thing with aging up its cast to high school (Digimon Adventure Tri, very bad don't watch it) and college age (Last Evolution Kizuna, somewhat divisive but I thought it was great). Real cool vibe to see characters you watched as a kid at the bar and just talking about things like how they're in college because they don't really know what they want to do in life, because wow that's what happened to me.

In a similar vein, I'd recommend the movie "Looking for Magical Doremi", which is about adult strangers coming together to connect about a show they really liked as kids. Probably has more Easter eggs if you're actually familiar with Ojamajo Doremi, but I wasn't and it's perfectly fine without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You know, Toei might be milking a trend here

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

its better than hypnosis mic tbh

Hypmic is funnier

My fellow chicks and dicks from Yokohama

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Have to say that I've been finding paralive mostly kinda middling by how clunky the exposition is.

Hello my twin brother nayuta as I lie beside you on the floor before we go to sleep in our barebones apartment let me tell you about our motivations and need for money to escape the living circumstances you and I can see around us

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It'd be funny if she was just a poser who never actually played Kanon herself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Feeling like this season was mostly kind of blah. Some thoughts, in no real order:

Overtake!: Feel like they overscoped this one and had to severely cut it down in the back half. The first half has some promising material. All of our principle characters have clear flaws, be it surly and snappish or polite yet inauthentic. There's some neat scenes that stand out due to their dynamic lighting that help to sell the character drama. Most of it doesn't really go anywhere though, and our characters just become nicer people on their own. I really wish they committed more to some degree of consequence. At one point, the star driver of the rival team gets into an unlucky wreck and is hospitalized for some weeks, and there's some discussion on how this lost time could ruin his career forever. But we don't really see this happen. He gets out of the hospital, and while it's clearly a little tough on his body, it's framed as nothing more than a temporary hardship and no one is even remotely concerned about his future. Most of the runtime is spent on our outsider POV character's trauma, and while the Tohoku earthquake jumpscare is kinda funny for how out of left field it is, the subplot resolves a little too cleanly to be interesting and ultimately never shakes the feeling of being completely disconnected from the Formula 4 setting. There's one ep where they go over how to pick what tires to use by gambling on the rain clearing up during the race or not, but other than that, this show could've been about anything.

In conclusion, horse boys still uncontested in best racing drama.

Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle - Rhyme Anima +: Hypmic is at its best doing stupid episodic adventures, and overall, I'd say S1's were stronger (nothing can top walking into your apartment one day to find a random dead body). The overarching plot is very whatever, but I like the dynamics of the new groups they added in, and it's neat how they shuffle everyone up for the performances.

Kawagoe Boys Sing: Very strange show. Shoestring budget production values overall and not even done yet, but the writing picks up quite a bit in the back half. I'd also attribute to it one of the most interesting episode direction of the season, with a full 21 minutes of consistent claustrophobic camera angles really nailing the vibe of unease and discomfort. Man, I miss having weird one-off episodes like that. It's a shame we're seeing media becoming lost in real time though.

The iDOLM@STER Million Live!: This is 30% some really underbaked drama with a few characters and 70% cameos for the established franchise fans. I am not an established franchise fan, but the songs are nice enough and the CG animation is passable even if the sum total feels rather substanceless. I can't get over how the producer in this is the most useless man in the world though. Between this and U149, they don't make im@s producers like they used to.

Paradox Live the Animation: Eh, I dunno man. For an anime ostensibly about the music, they sure do have a lot of the performances happen off-screen. Our main protagonist is also the least compelling on offer; in a competition with ten billion yen on the line, they're the only ones who are already rich and don't really need the money lol. The emotional beats the show goes for could work if we actually spent the time to get to know the characters, but we have to juggle time between four different groups instead, so we end up getting the heavy eps on like the second ever focus episode we see for some characters. The extremely clunky exposition surrounding everything certainly doesn't help. Also for some reason they decided to go with instrumentality as the main villain plot even though they never even bother giving the villain a name? Akira Ishida was wasted on this.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 3: I didn't really care for S2, because I felt like the focus switched too much between different characters to really get invested into any of the secondary arcs (and also the broken leg drama was dumb as hell). People say that's an issue with this season, and yeah I get it (who the gently caress is Cheval Grand), but I like Kitasan Black. It's cool to see a sports protagonist with a dream to be just like her hero and ultimately has to accept that she just doesn't have the raw talent to live up to that goal. Accepting being ordinary and making due; that's inspiring in its own right.

16bit Sensation: Another Layer: For all our protagonist claims to love visual novels, it doesn't seem like she knows very much about them when so much of the show feels like it's reading Wikipedia articles at you. Our protagonist is frustratingly stupid, but the rest of the cast is bland, bland, bland. Even by the time the show swings into goofy future dystopia it never escapes feeling hollow and empty. But hey! Look at this picture of Madoka Magica or Lycoris Recoil or Love Live Sunshine we have. You like those things, right? Right???

Atarashii Joushi wa Do Tennen: Cannot shake the feeling this is just low effort fujobait. The storyboarding is some braindead collage of cut-and-paste manga panels leading to very repetitive exposition within the same episode, and the comedy doesn't extend past a few one-joke syndrome characters. Also it's incredibly lame how it keeps doing the teenage revenge fantasy story of sticking it to your villains while onlookers literally clap. I like giggling over anime boyfriends as much as the next guy, but come on, they should at least approximate feeling like real people.

Shadowverse Flame: Seven Shadows Arc: I love how they took the main antagonist from last season and immediately humbles his smug rear end at the start of this season and dedicates a good chunk of time having him learn how to get over himself and discover himself. Messy, drawn out, and with enough self-doubt to maybe even convince the audience: that's the kind of redemption arc I can't get enough of. But I also want to say:

They're boyfriends. :)