Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

STAC Goat posted:

I want to address the problem from a productive angle instead of an angry one. Get younger and more athletic with the kids, improve where you can, re-evaluate your approach. Once again do you have something to offer other than “burn it all down”?

I’m not particularly sold on Bellinger myself. But the Yankees are gonna wanna do something and he fits so I think that will be the off-season target. The only other name that stands out to me is Chapman and his 2023 feels like it makes him a no go.

I would stay far away from Bellinger. He might be fixed but I'd let the Cubs or whoever find out

Yankees should be all over Yamamoto though, they need rotation help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Boone is really whatever at his job, but he isn't the problem so ultimately it doesn't actually matter if he is there or not. It's really obvious he is just there more or less as a puppet/yes man for the guys upstairs and his only real job is to manage the locker room and go out there and be a human shield for the media

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I'm not as worked up about that trade as you are. Yeah it was a bad trade but it's WAY down on the list of bad trades they made. I don't believe that they would've made the playoffs this year if they had monty and if they really want to sign him as a FA after the season they could've done that anyway. They missed the playoffs because of the way they hosed up the lineup, not the pitching.

It was a very stupid trade, just a different kind of stupid than trading for Montas

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

The fantasy scenario in which the Yankees fire Cashman and replace him with Ng is like ignoring all human relationships involved. It’s drat near Shakespearean.

They already ignore all human elements on the field, it's just the logical next step :v:

Too bad they wouldn't fire Randy Levine and make her team President

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just wanted to thank baseball for being the source of so many cherished memories with my father. Take your kids to games, play home run derby in the back yard, or even just talk baseball with them. They'll have a lifetime of treasured memories to draw from, even after you're gone.

gently caress ALS.

Sorry to hear this :smith:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

They need offense but I don't think the answer is dump everyone for Juan Soto TBH

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Would you want the Yankees sign to Juan Soto if he was a FA this year? Of course you would. So why shouldn't they trade for him?

He's a fine corner OF.

No probably not to be honest

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

This is a scortching hot take.

It depends, if 2022 was just an aberration then yeah sure. If he's gonna hit 240 again then no they have had enough of those guys, especially when he isn't going to be long for playing the outfield

This is all rampant speculation anyway, odds are he isn't going anywhere cause why would they just abandon ship on him

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

live with fruit posted:

For as bad as the Betts trade was, the Red Sox still got Verdugo and rid of Price, and the Padres don't have a contract like Price's to dump. If the Padres only get prospects back, they have to go out and replace Soto, which would cut into the savings they're trading their best hitter to get.

Verdugo is a JAG and Jeter Downs is awful. The Red Sox absolutely jacked that trade up even with getting rid of Price

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Verdugo is a knucklehead who hasn't really panned out like it was hoped he would, and Jeter Downs fell into an absolute hole, but Conner Wong looked like a perfectly cromulent starting catcher this year, and that's something?

Exactly the return you want for a perennial MVP candidate and future hall of famer

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

All past discussions about trading him have been for a starting pitcher, with Yamamoto out there for only money that's a dumb idea.

It's more realistic to get a real outfielder using Schmidt

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

They should be laser focused on the offense. The pitching is good enough.

No it isn't actually

Cole
Rodon (bad, was also injured multiple times)
Cortes coming off multiple injuries (again)
King (only been a starter in the majors for like two months)
Schmidt was OK for his first season
Montas and Severino fired into the sun hopefully

They need at least one starter

Forrest on Fire posted:

What positions do they need to fill? Everywhere but RF and 2B? Their OPS numbers are dire :aaaaa:

Left field for sure since they don't really have one. IKF was playing left field lmao
Some kind of at least stop gap CF until Dominguez recovers from TJS
Catcher I assume will be Wells going forward

After that it depends on if they trade Gleyber or not. If they do I'd assume Peraza or DJLM moves over to 2b. Volpe isn't going anywhere at SS, 1B depends on if Rizzo recovers or not

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 27, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

They got NOTHING out of Severino, Cortes and Rodon and still had the 9th best ERA in the majors as a team. The lineup is by far the bigger need.

Yeah and you think that is repeatable? There is zero reason not to be all over Yamamoto in addition to finding offensive help. If you end up moving Schmidt for a bat you are replacing him with Yamamoto which is uh... more than likely significantly upgrading.

It's only money and the dude is a huge star in Japan, they used to be all about those guys

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I think 9th is repeatable. They will get more from Rodon/Cortes and whoever takes Sevy's spot than they did last year. If they are going to sign Yamamoto and ALSO put in the necessary resources toward turning over the offense then I'm cool with that. I just don't believe Hal is going to do that.

Cortes and Rodon right now can't be trusted and going into the season with the same staff and assuming they'll be better than last year just because is dumb and I'd expect you to know that. Also have to account for the fact Cole might have some kind of drop off too

I want no part of Bellinger, I don't trust his come back. Yes the offense needs work

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

ilmucche posted:

How can you hate the rays

They treat the players as faceless cogs in an assembly line, they cry super poor despite being owned by a billionaire

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I'm pretty sure the only team Stanton would allow being traded to is the Dodgers

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Roster limits by position are stupid, just let the teams have 15 pitchers if they want to

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I didn't realize that Eduardo Rodriguez has an opt out. He makes a lot of sense for the Yankees as mid tier guy so they can add and really focus on the offense.

no no no one hundred times no

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

YANKEES!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If only

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Don't worry the league will come in and bail the Cards out with extra draft picks

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I see they somehow learned less than nothing

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cashman is just saying that poo poo to push back on the people who call them entirely analytical driven

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Holy poo poo this ones a winner though

https://x.com/TalkinYanks/status/1722021189126672637?s=20

Gallo didn't make the twins postseason roster and was awful for the Dodgers, he's about to be out of baseball. Gray got better as soon as he left NY because they way they were telling him to pitch was completely backwards from what he should have been doing.

This is not the defense he thinks it is at all :lol:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Hal simultaneously saying that the Yankee's spending is at a sufficient level but (according to Buster) simultaneously waving $25 million per year at a player who has never thrown an MLB baseball professionally is maddening. The former point is completely true; they do spend enough money that they should be able to complete every single year, but the idea that the priority this offseason is acquiring more starting pitching is just...no. You are going to give back half of the $50 million in (self-imposed) cap space you cleared this offseason to an unknown pitcher? Admittedly he has tremendous upside, but Yamamoto could equally likely be the next Kei Igawa.

We. Need. More. Hitting.

Sidebar: Everyone on an MLB roster should be able to lay down a perfect sacrifice bunt >95% of the time so that the 10-20 times during the regular season that you want to do it, you get it done. If the Yankees aren't teaching it correctly in the minors, shame on them. That goes equally for all 29 other clubs too.

Yamamoto is actually a big need, they should be in on him. He's a young international star, something they could stand to have for numerous reasons both off and on the field.

They should be looking at Jung Hoo Lee

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

the way the FA market falls out this year there aren't big ticket hitters who are worth signing. They will need to hit the trade market to improve the lineup. I do think it's reasonable to sign 1 starter be it Yamamoto or E Rod who is another guy I suggested.

I can't believe you of all people would say sign erod, gross. Bring back Montgomery

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Why are you making GBS threads on ERod? He's a lefty who has been consistent his whole career and has proven he can pitch well in the AL East

Cause he isn't that good?

I actually don't feel as bad about this as it looks on the surface, having a team full of .230 hitters really worked out well. The ability to hit for average has been devalued and I actually think it should be emphasized more now than ever due to the fact that everyone strikes out like crazy.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 8, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I want no part of Bellinger

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Yankees do have pieces to move, not a TON but they have some. Real question is whether they would or not. I'd dangle Schmidt out there for offense

I'd rather gamble on Lee being able to hit MLB pitching than Bellinger going forward because the money difference will be massive

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

TV numbers only matter in regards to what teams are in it. People won't even watch some poo poo like D-Backs vs Royals on TV, you think they are gonna travel for it?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cashman is coming unhinged like someone who is actually on the hot seat lmao

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cashman should hang up the phone immediately without a response.

He should be fired immediately if he wants Verdugo, he sucks and he's a garbage person. They finally got rid of all the poo poo people on the team, that isn't free reign to add another one

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The White Sox should get Hawk out of retirement

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kirios posted:

I've seen enough - the Yankees need to extend Cashman.

No :colbert:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mlb.com posted:

The Rockies obtained right-handed pitcher Cal Quantrill from the Guardians on Friday for Minor League catcher Kody Huff.

Cal getting sent to the place pitchers go to die

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

More roster filler moves:

nypost posted:

A few hours before the non-tender deadline, Jake Bauers was sent to the Brewers for a pair of young minor league outfielders in Jace Avina and Brian Sánchez.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Cause it's such a hardship for him to be able to sit there for 15 minutes and give out rehearsed say-nothing responses to a few questions? Is he not capable of doing that?

What insightful questions are we missing. They always ask the same dumb poo poo

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Most of those reporters don't make any money and are just trying to do their job. The idea that these players who make 30+ million a year can't take 15 minutes to answer some questions is dumb even if most of the time they are a waste of everyone's time anyway.

Maybe they should do actual reporting instead of asking stupid questions like "how does it feel to win an award"

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

That's kind of a reasonable or fair deal for him but I also don't think I would have done it either if that makes sense

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Cardinals signed Lance Lynn, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

euphronius posted:

Rollins ans utley should be in

I am not a homer