Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

“Looking back on it now,” Friedman said recently with a rueful smile earlier, “we obviously wish we would have said yes to other names they asked for before him. It’s pretty special watching what he’s doing in the batter’s box.”

“We signed him the day before the period ended,” Friedman said. “And it was more because we were about to be cut out of big-ticket signings. Ironically, the big question in the industry at that time was about the power. Which, I’m not sure how that was the question.”

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news...ros/2019/10/27/

I think I'll take Andrew Friedmans word

e: actually I should have linked the LA Times article they pulled those quotes from instead

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-yordan-alvarez-dodgers-cuban-signings-mistakes-astros-20190706-story.html

e2: oof this is the playoff n/v thread not the offseason one, I'll take this there if it continues
I don't believe that if they had an under-the-table deal Friedman would admit to that publicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

lmao at Philly Little Big League "gently caress TREA TURNER"
Trea Turner has a growing body of postseason disappearing acts at this point, with quite the funny trend:

Postseason OPS overall: .703 in 252 PA

WC - 1.300
DS - .759
CS - .596
WS - .429

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Milovan Drecun posted:

Posters here don't call for entire roster turnover, but they definitely write off opponents based almost entirely on current record/position within their division. Losing to the Diamondbacks was treated as unacceptable by several fanbases. The Rangers’ losing streak included Milwaukee, Minnesota, and Arizona, but nobody paused to think maybe those were just 3 good teams.
Because over 162 games those teams showed they weren’t that good. Anything can happen over a shorter series of games. (Like a losing streak in September, or the postseason)

Several fanbases treated losing to the Diamondbacks as unacceptable because their teams were better than Arizona.

What they got wrong isn’t that Arizona is just really good, it’s that being better than Arizona (or any opponent) is no guarantee of victory in 3 or 5 or 7 game series.

Fans tend to treat all sports as if they’re as deterministic as NBA playoffs when they simply aren’t.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Imagine the Giants FO were interested in actually winning and not in having a manager who can shoot the poo poo with Kruk & Kuip pregame.

Fifth richest team in baseball let the mask slip:
https://twitter.com/BaseballJeff1/status/1717238884076343441
A Diamondbacks championship this year will open the floodgates for more statements like this from owners.

They’ll also somehow simultaneously cry about how small market teams can’t compete without a hard salary cap.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Speficially for LF it's even worse

Guriel I guess. Joc is a clubhouse cancer, don't want him running high stakes pai gow games in the locker room at 3 am on a getaway day.
Joc is a two-time Champion, a certified Postseason Dude, and a chunky boi.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Mets and Padres collapsing has already done that
true, but its more fuel for the fire

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Godamn the Dodgers really hosed up with Cody

I still see a lot of Bellinger jerseys at games. They should have signed him to an immoral Braves style extension years ago.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

They won't win again under the Cashman Administration.
inshallah

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Actually King is the one guy I wouldn't want to trade lol
then that’s probably what you’d have to give up

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

King isn't a prospect. He's a major leaguer for a few years now and he'll probably be the yankees 3rd best starter next year.
so was Alex Verdugo when the Dodgers traded him for one year of Mookie Betts. Verdugo had appeared in three MLB seasons by that point.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

you can't have him
he’s not pitching next year anyway

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

you can't have him either
you can’t stop me :colbert:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

I believe they changed the rules so all picks are tradeable even right after the draft?
how do you trade a draft pick after the draft?

You can trade players, not draft picks. The only exception as someone mentioned is some subset of comp picks.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Meet me in Temecula, mdemone

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

At least do it the old fashioned way instead of using lovely “AI” to make an uncanny valley horror show

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 26, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

See I didn’t have to put effort in because someone on the internet has already done the work for me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I've already made my peace that Ohtani is going to go the Dodgers, which means he's still never gonna get a ring but hey at least he'll know what it feels like to win the division a lot.
what if it turns out the secret sauce the Dodgers were missing all along is the love and friendship of Shohei Ohtani???

Edit: and yeah I’m terrified he’s going to end up in SF

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

This is all very upsetting
we will take good care of him and he’ll stay close so you can come visit any time you like

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Traxis posted:

The Dodgers are going to sign Ohtani and Bellinger and they will be BFFs and drive a van around the valley solving mysteries
:yeah:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Have you ever been to phoenix?
Obligatory

https://youtu.be/4PYt0SDnrBE?si=tAA7phFDq8oys1u-

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He already passed on a bigger payday once to come play against the highest competition, he’s the last baseball player who’s do the Ronaldo move

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ohtani wants to play in October and be the one who pushes a team over the hump to ultimate victory. So he’s looking for a team that where there’s no question they’ll be in the postseason, but in need of that heroic secret sauce only he can provide. A team that’s playing every October but still needs help, hrmmm…

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

1. New Yawk, da numba one city in da world

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

I have it on good authority that Shohei's dream is to live in a suburban master planned community, wear wrap around oakleys, and drive a lifted Tundra with a pristine bedliner that has never been or will never be used off road or to haul anything. There are only a few MLB towns that can deliver that lifestyle for him
this is where he lives now

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Is that the Anaheim stereotype
it describes Orange County pretty well

Think of Orange County as the place that chuddy rich white Californians fled to from LA before they started fleeing to Texas

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

the California equivalent is a rolling brownout
as much of a disaster as the CA grid is, it’s still more reliable than Texas

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I live in SoCal so I don’t concern myself with PG&E fuckups up north :smuggo:

(Instead I pay the highest rates in the country to SDGE)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We also “decarbonize our grid” by buying dirty coal power from plants in NV and UT

I’ve no doubt that some day we’ll pull the same trick with natural gas.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

OPS+ of the Arizona Diamondbacks:

How could a team ever even make it to the World Series with a middle infielder OPS+ing 115??

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

He's wasn't the biggest problem but he's also an underachieving player who doesn't run the bases well or play good defense because of constant mental lapses and who most yankee fans feel has very little upside at this point. It's also unlikely that the team will extend him. He's also one of their more tradable assets that they can use to reshape a roster that BADLY needs it. I think most Yankee fans are just tired of looking at these same players year after year.
sounds like a coaching problem

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Philly, Brewer, and Mariner are great

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think it was David Roth who said the Rays are like a hedge fund with a baseball team attached

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

turns out that rooting for rays players is pretty fraught territory too

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

going back to no wild cards will cause a huge backlash the first time a 100-win second place team misses the postseason while an 85-win division winner makes it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

It wasn't quite as severe as that on the low end, but of course, it happened the very last season that was played with no wild cards, 1993. The Giants won 103 games, easily the second most in MLB, and didn't get invited to the postseason party, because the Braves won 104
Now get off my goddamn lawn.
This is the first specific baseball game I remember attending. I was 8, Mike Piazza hit two home runs, and I learned first hand what the Giants rivalry means

Intruder posted:

but how is that going to get the owners more money
Know what gets the owners more money? Bawfuls New MLB Schedule & Postseason Plan :smuggo:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The loud drunk SF fans were scary, but the hero Mike Piazza drove them from the stadium by the 6th inning.

And then a few years later the treacherous Rupert Murdoch drove him from Los Angeles, destroying a generation of fans.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mookie nooooo bb what is you doing???

https://twitter.com/Sammy_Roth/status/1719155902870409621

LATimes posted:

Betts said he hoped major league teams would consider signing former Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer this winter.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 31, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Can’t imagine why Mookie’s experience might have been different
I thought he had better like... personal brand awareness than this. He doesn't have to say poo poo about Bauer, and he certainly doesn't have to say he LOVES him ffs.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

maybe he feels strongly enough about it that he doesn't care
then he’s a loving idiot cause Bauer was an obvious rear end in a top hat before we all knew he likes to assault women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The cat is already out of the bag though. You can limit pitcher roster slots but the optimal strategy is always going to be getting more effort and less innings from every pitcher on the staff.

Teams train max effort velocity because it works.

This is just going to exacerbate pitcher injury rates. The starting pitcher of yesteryear is already dead and buried, and it wasn’t an abrupt change. Once again I have a GRAPHS for this:

Yes there’s been an acceleration of the trend in the last 5-8 years but it’s also a trend that’s been pretty steady for the entirety of the live ball era. I made this graph 3 years ago, this year’s number was 5.14 IP per start.

Edit: nice plot Poque but I do think the full history provides relevant context here