Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yankees posts 200
Mariners posts 150
Astros posts 800
Cubs posts 3,600
Orioles post 150
someone who is good at forums please help me mod this. my thread is dying

Throw the Astros posts in the trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Bregor posted:

Blocking Mervis with Hosmer/Mancini :smith:

Blocking Mervis with Votto :swoon:

Joey Votto would be the David Ross to Mervis' Willson Contreras

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

From day one it was dumb as hell and i said as much at the time.

Varsho was just another raise the floor move. His ceiling is a league average hitter with very good defence which is nice and all but Moreno's ceiling is best catcher in baseball.

Yeah it was a horrible trade for Toronto that I didn't understand but greatly appreciated so that I did not have to watch a full season of Carson Kelly catching

Varsho is the best defensive CF in baseball but he's a sub-700 OPS hitter because of poor OBP. He's due for positive regression next year but still, Moreno + Gurriel helped propel the DBacks this year

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Bregor posted:

Practices! :lmao:

Oh man I'm actually starting to feel bad for Yankees fans

Don't. They can get out of it themselves and if it takes them 50 years it was loving due

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The only qualification is you gotta be wicked smaht

If Marky Mark was in that room when Mookie Betts was traded he'd have stopped it

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Phillies didn't even lose to the DBacks good players, they got shut down by Brandon loving Pfaadt and a shaky bullpen

Craig Kimbrel is a baseball terrorist

Get Ginked :smuggo:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

He's also a degenerate gambler and owns and operates player-only opium dens and fight clubs

Stop making Joc sound cooler than he is

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Soto is already a pretty bad fielder and he's 24. In another couple years he'll be a really bad fielder.

How much do front offices value corner OF defense?

Soto is a threat with the bat for as long as he's healthy.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Gerblederp posted:

Shapiro and Atkins value it enough to trade away a future franchise catcher!

Gabriel Moreno rules, but y'all have Alejandro Kirk. You don't need 2 franchise catchers!!!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao franchise catcher Alejandro Kirk

Thanks for Lourdes and Gabriel :)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

There is no way he wants to live in loving Houston.

mcmagic is right Ohtani wants to play for a team that's proven it has what it takes to contend for a world series in 2023 and beyond, such as the Arizona Diamondbacks

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Have you ever been to phoenix?

Yes, last year!

Have YOU ever been to Phoenix?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Tony Phillips posted:

The one time I went to Arizona was to visit Flagstaff and it felt like we were half way there before we actually got out of the Phoenix suburb hellscape.

I'm on team McMagic here.

I don't think Phoenix is even the best city in Arizona but "X player doesn't want to live in Y city" is just Yankee poo poo lol. There are banks there.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

They should be laser focused on the offense. The pitching is good enough.

What positions do they need to fill? Everywhere but RF and 2B? Their OPS numbers are dire :aaaaa:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

mookie you loving idiot

You can take the player out of Boston but....

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

Right, but no one will see that.

I don't think teams are building staffs around a bullpen day every four starts, I think it's just really hard to have 4-5 legit big league starters on one team. But I'm sure banning bullpen days will suddenly create a whole bunch of viable starters out of thin air.

MLB wants more Jack Morris style players so it's easier to goose up numbers without using a bunch of balls

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

canyoneer posted:

https://www.statista.com/statistics...U.S.%20dollars.

vs.

Someone who is good at economy help me my baseball team is dying

Spend less on old pitchers

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

ah yes the Rangers have famously not spent much on old pitchers

I thought we were making fun of the Mets, sorry

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

He's just loving sick of the desert, it's ok

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

Are you saying you dont think Jesus Christ could hit a curve ball?

Could God throw a curveball that even He could not hit? Yes, and he'd mash a dinger anyway

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dameius posted:

Would the angels in the outfield catch it at the wall though?

No because it would be a particularly heartbreaking way for the Angels to lose

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

the last L on that Rosenthal account looks weird, I refuse to believe this until I see it other than the fake news site

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has it

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Craig's running for office?! Good for him.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Welp now that they've spent $40 million they can't afford to extend Bellinger!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

They're gonna try to copy the plucky, lovable, totally not a fluke Arizona Diamondbacks. :getin:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Poque posted:

the Yankees paying Ohtani levels of money to McKinsey all for them to tell them to shed payroll and try bunting is deeply funny

They'll buy out the contracts of every KBO all star bunt contestant and win 86 games, earning everyone left extensions

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Aaron Judge wants to become Rod Carew so what

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Heyman wrote an article about the Yankees signing Bellinger and I hate it. I'd rather they do a stop gap and sign Soto next year if they can't work out a trade for him.

I'm curious, why would you hate that? Bellinger had shady peripherals but if the Yankees want to switch to focusing on batting average which he has provided before last season as well. Is it just the fact that Yankee FA signings collapse the second the contract is signed?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I really wish this thread was more than cubs wish posting alternating with an Astros circle jerk.

Agreed: it's time to step up the Cubsposting and start jerking off the Arizona Diamondbacks for bringing small ball back

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

I can not emphasize enough how much that Hector Gomez tweet is completely fabricated clickbait bullshit. Arte Moreno will never trade Mike Trout to the Dodgers.

Arte Moreno is meddling and not smart so I am anticipating a Mike Trout to Philadelphia for expensive veterans trade or something equally silly.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1727404587366138010

Not a bad get for the D-backs if Suarez repeats his last couple years of production.

I like this trade. They needed a 3B and they could also use offensive production.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Just have the computer feed the ump the ball/strike call and then he can focus on his hoos and hahs and hoot-doos

Do not give the Umps a chance to become Tiktok famous

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

If Ohtani genuinely considers the very bland comments Dave Roberts made (yes we met a few days ago, I thought it went well, he's amazing, he's his own man it's up to him) to be a disqualifying leak, then lol ok I guess. I'd hardly consider that a leak or novel information on negotiations. Is he really that much of a diva/narcissist? I didn't think so, but maybe we'll find out.

The Dodger Nation heel turn begins

It'll only intensify when Ohtani signs with San Fransisco to specifically punish Dave Roberts

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Ohtani was on the plane, he did a HALO jump into Wrigley for a secret meeting with Kyle Hendricks.

Shohei Ohtani wants a team that's on the up and up and his eyes popped at their Elite Infield Defense, Superstars Ready To Debut, and the revenge tour for Matt Mervis. There just aren't any young talented infielders in Toronto, sorry :smuggo:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

shohei is a dodger

He sure likes dodging the press who are just doing their job as media vultures picking at anything resembling a story

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

they used to and then they did something horrible and contracted themselves out of shame, is what i recall happened. chicago hockey fans are hoping to snag the arizona coyotes when they relocate.

Revenge for the Chicago Cardinals, at last

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

I think I would enjoy being Shohei Ohanti, the greatest baseball player to ever live and also a Los Angeles Dodger

Idk Mad Dog just told me that Babe Ruth was 10x the player Ohtani will ever be and he's a bastion of truth

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

how will a poor small market team with tight budget constraints ever beat the Dodgers in October?? I mean, could you imagine say, the Arizona Diamondbacks and their ~$110M payroll beating the Dodgers in the postseason? Such a thing could never happen in baseball, it’s preposterous!

Finally, we're back to talking about the plucky lovable DBacks: the real strawmen heroes of the story

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

just lol and lmao if Ohtani and Yamamoto colluded to end up on the Dodgers

Is it collusion or do they think the unis are really classy?

Like, gently caress the Dodgers. But signing with the Dodgers makes total sense for Yamamoto given how MaGyvered the rotation was last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Bregor posted:

If the Dodgers sign Yamamoto can we preemptively stop bawfuls from making a ton of avs

Oh no, photos of two baseball buds in blue will dominate the forums.

I survived Swift/Kelce I'll survive LA Handsomeball