Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Ricketts Wallet Wish List

1. Sign Ohtani
2. Re-sign Bellinger
3. At least attempt to construct an MLB caliber rotation
4. Pick up Kyle Hendricks team option
5. Pick up Yan Gomes team option
6. Do not sign any crusty veterans that the entire baseball world knows are washed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

lol, lmao

Oh yeah well would a great manager be 10 games under in the first place

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unfortunately for Cubs fans it’s an election year, and the Ricketts need to take the money for Bellinger and put it into a Trump PAC

I texted this exact thing to my friends after game 161 :negative:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Huge if true!!

ITEM!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Tony Phillips posted:

Hola, Amigos.

Long time since I hot stoved at ya.

:hai:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1708959098954256401?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Intruder posted:

my plan to improve my team is to replace every player with a better one

Why didn't I think of that. You're hired.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Curious about what I'm supposed to post? I just listed a list of mid tier FA's they should look at. Should i make up trades like a sports talk radio caller? you don't as a fan have enough information to judge the trade market.

I enjoy the back and forth with other Yankeesposters

:justpost:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

Only FA rumors I've heard is that the Cubs are thought to be pretty aggressive in wanting to woo Yoshinobu Yamamoto when he gets posted. Going after Alonso would be really dumb after he flat out said he did not want to be traded and wouldn't sign an extension with anybody besides the Mets.

I definitely think the Cubs are going to stand pat in a lot of areas and piss fans off. Alzolay, Merryweather, Leiter, Little, Smyly, Assad should all be locks for the pen, and Cuas/Palencia/Keegan/Hughes can fight for the last couple spots. They'll bring in some veteran arms because every team does that every year, but they won't splash on any big pen guys. Likewise most of the rotation is already set (Stroman, Hendricks, Steele, Taillon) the only question is will they actually try to bring in a front of the rotation guy or just let Wicks/Wesneski/etc duke it out for the 5th spot. Lineup-wise they need answers for 1B, 3B, and CF. All of these could be solved internally on the cheap (Mervis 1B, Wisdom/Mastrobuoni/Madrigal 3B, Canario/PCA CF). Alternatively they have a TON of guys absolutely raking in AAA/AA who are hopelessly blocked, so why not trade some of that depth for a sure fire guy or two? Cubs desperately need actual slugging, Cody and Morel tied for most HR's on the team at 26 apiece.

All that said they do have ~$50M to play around with before they start creeping into the first tier of the tax, and something like an additional $50M comes off the books after the 2024 season. So they should have flexibility, who knows how they'll use it though.

Would love if they went after Yamamoto.

Alonso seems highly unlikely but if they do end up giving away PCA, Ben Brown, or Cade Horton I will be very upset.

Sadly Cool Kyle is not a lock, they would be dumb and bad to not pick up his team option but then again #thatscub

If they go into 2024 with 3B as some sort of Widsom/Madrigal/Mastrobuoni amalgam I will go berserk

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Red posted:

Cubs fans should be furious Kyle is not in Chicago

I feel like Red after Andy breaks out of Shawshank

Bregor
May 31, 2013

more falafel please posted:

Where would Cody play if they trade for Alonso, assuming PCA is up all year?

Yeah they won't trade for Alonso or re-sign Belli, lol

BUT!

If they did, I'd assume PCA is bound for Iowa. Otherwise then Belli could move to LF and Happ DH.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

Bellinger stays, and Alonso and Ohtani to Wrigleyville this off season? Many people are saying this.

:hmmyes:

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would refer you to Bregor's avatar for more information on that phenomenon.

A goon can dream

Bregor
May 31, 2013

who the gently caress is scraeming "STOP CUBSPOSTING" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never stop cubsposting

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Tony Phillips posted:

Spend less on GOMS

YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Hey this tweet is about how the Brewers suck I'm going to enjoy it

Oh wait

:negative:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe we have now reached Peak Mets (TM)

:mets:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Always a good time to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axEbdyqL26Q

Bregor
May 31, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

Personally I'm rooting for the Cubs to win the World Series every year while the Brewers lose worse and worse each season

this but also for the Cardinals

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Votto isn’t done yet

Blocking Mervis with Hosmer/Mancini :smith:

Blocking Mervis with Votto :swoon:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

Votto looked pretty washed this year, didn't he?

Yeah but he’s still cool as gently caress. Just gimme one Votto year

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

MLB teams don't really have the roster flexibility to carry a Veteran Presence who can't hit good pitching anymore and can't play any position but first base.

Yes they do, they just decide to carry 84 relievers instead

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Forrest on Fire posted:

Varsho is the best defensive CF in baseball

…for now

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Joe Maddon + New York Media would be something to behold

:doit: :doit: :doit:

Also I will always love Joe Maddon, gently caress the haters

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1711944101292105939

lol Cubs not even waiting for the end of the postseason to begin the annual bloodletting of coaches.

I don't know what a "game strategy coach" is but did it involve using PCA as a pinch runner to have him get TOOTBLAN'd cos that poo poo was dumb as hell

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Artix posted:

We desperately need to trade some of our infield talent for pitching and the problem is everyone else knows it. Rumor at the deadline was that everyone's asking prices for the O's was hilariously inflated because come on, you got all those prospects, you can totally give up Joey Ortiz or Jordan Westburg for our middle reliever. Real question is who's going to be available? Cease, maybe? One of Seattle's young pitchers? If we are going to break the prospect bank, we might as well swing for the fences.

The Cubs can give you this totally reliable Jameson Taillon for the low, low price of one (1) Jordan Westburg

What's that? There are plenty of decent free agent SPs on the market this year? That doesn't sound right, you probably shouldn't even bother checking

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Don’t judge too harshly, I’m sure Peter and John Angelos will open up their books any day now

Bregor
May 31, 2013

euphronius posted:

What good SP is a FA this winter?

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/starting-pitcher/

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

They did at times like in 2004 they signed Miguel Tejada. And of course in the 90s. It was mainly
starting pitchers they never wanted to pay for probably for some dumb reason like "well they only play once every 5 games" so they tried through the draft but every single one always failed, and then every trade in their late 90s firesale+rebuild attempt was a bust so that set them back big time. So I dont think acquiring some big hitter is out of the question but in terms of getting a great starting pitcher I doubt it

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was referring to their occasional promises at some sort of financial transparency, but yes they probably won't go after any of the big FA SPs. The good news is there's some decent depth in the market and they just need to supplement with Bradish and GrayRod looking pretty locked in.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mcmagic posted:

LOL they are running it back again, aren't they............

Practices! :lmao:

Oh man I'm actually starting to feel bad for Yankees fans

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

What the hell is wrong with you

I just wrote a 6000+ word effortpost on the 2023 Cubs, there is plenty wrong with me, pal

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mdemone posted:

whom amongst us has not gone missing in Cancun

Are you thinking what I’m thinking?

book Anthony Rendon tickets go Cancun immediately

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Exodor posted:

Dayton Moore is just sort of hanging out with the Rangers. I'm sure he'd love to run another franchise (into the ground).

Trust the Process©

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Popete posted:

Did somebody say Hosmer??

I dunno, my body went numb after I heard people talking about Chicago Cubs legend Wade Davis

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Okay I was gonna wait to post about the Gold Glove finalists until they were all announced, but I just saw Ian Happ is a finalist for NL LF

lol. lmao

Bregor
May 31, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

I'm beginning to think Gold Gloves should not be taken all that serious anymore, or maybe they never should have been

That one year Rafael Palmeiro won GG at 1B while mostly playing DH all season was the tipping point for me. I still do like to see the occasional wtf nomination/win though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

more falafel please posted:

unfortunately the TMNT logo generator website appears to be gone from the internet, so just pretend

lol :smith:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

Hey remember that time when Fulmer went on the IL with forearm strain, then the Cubs brought him back to throw one extremely wild and clearly uncomfortable inning, and then put him back on the IL with forearm strain? Oops turns out his elbow popped:

That stinks cos he’s an UFA, he’ll need to sign some cheapo two-year deal where 2024 is just rehab.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just wanted to thank baseball for being the source of so many cherished memories with my father. Take your kids to games, play home run derby in the back yard, or even just talk baseball with them. They'll have a lifetime of treasured memories to draw from, even after you're gone.

gently caress ALS.

Agreed, gently caress ALS. So sorry Kevlar, my best to you and yours

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1716838452614893716?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

lol. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

kalensc posted:

This feels like the most appropriate time to share this.

It deals with one particular poster's grieving process over the imminent loss of their beloved:

lmao