Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/slwein/status/1708552435281580323

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Guardians traded him and immediately he started hitting

Gotta make room for Myles Straw

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Intruder posted:

(team) interested in Shohei is the most nothing headline imaginable

Every GM: Wait, a ballplayer who can pitch and hit?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1709225321386414143

Cubs fans should be furious Kyle is not in Chicago

mcmagic posted:

So it seems like Trevor Bauer got a little bit hosed over?

Bauer's "explanation" reads like a Trump rant, if that helps.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Well it sounds like it's over right? He wasn't charged, he settled with her and it's not going to court. We'll likely never know the full truth.

Here's the thing, though: There was more than one woman involved, and each had similar claims of extreme/visible injury and trauma. There are photos of bruising, and so on.

So. Are we being asked to believe that each case involved a woman who asked Bauer to have violent sex with them, then changed their story and tried to squeeze him for money?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Yeah i have a hard time believing that they all made it up and that is why I don't really feel bad for him.

Yeah. Given what his victims have reported, it's pretty bad. He's an alleged violent rapist with the ability to financially crush these women in court.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sydin posted:

Also like, not to swerve into kinkshaming or anything but even if Bauer is telling the truth and everything he did with every girl was 100% consensual all around, that in order to get off Bauer needs to beat the poo poo out of his partner says all you need to know about him and what kind of person he is, I think.

I can believe Bauer uses whatever website/app to find something for his kink, but there's clearly been a violation of consent. That's a big difference, and reason enough to toss the guy into a volcano regardless of whatever he does in bed.

mcmagic posted:

I shouldn't have even posted the bauer poo poo. It's a waste of time. Sorry thread.

Being open to discuss things and reframe your thinking is never a bad idea.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

This should probably just be a thread policy at this point. There isn't much left to be said about it.

If mcmagic gets probated for being rational and making a good decision online, then probate me too

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1709401799923298431

Rationale: Kimbrel hates having a guy on second and having to look at him

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How on earth is Bob so consistently wrong about every single thing? It has to be a conscious bit at this point.

Hey, a month ago I would have said the Mariners were playoff bound. Baseball is hard to predict.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Anderson Koopa posted:

Have you seen Mrs. Met? :swoon:

I haven't even looked up to see her face yet, but I'm sure she has a normal face

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

TERRIBLE hire.

He's not the problem.

Anderson Koopa posted:

Her face is not her most noteworthy asset. I would not recommend searching "Mrs. Met Controversy".

Sorry, I can't get past what has to be prosthetic hips, goddam

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

He did a dogshit job there.

You're right, Uncle Steve is totally a hands-off owner

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://x.com/we_are_met_fans/status/1711022721608368506?s=46

just lolmets

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

People don't just step away from GM jobs.... I wonder what the backstory of this is.

Ng: Wow, our strategy paid off. If we spend a little this offseason, we can really be consistently competitive for a long time.
Ownership: So we're going to slash payroll

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/MLBCancun/status/1713938896889811321

I'm sure this is fine

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Exodor posted:

Dayton Moore is just sort of hanging out with the Rangers. I'm sure he'd love to run another franchise (into the ground).

How did the Royals win a ring?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/PhillyTradesman/status/1714085710410465686

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Paper Tiger posted:

I used to be an outfielder, then I took a fastball to the knee

As a Von Hayes enthusiast, I condemn this joke

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

Dude, nobody knows who Von Hayes is, man. Relax.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1714336316526035257

I remember watching this as a kid, and my dad and I were blown away.

But it was pretty funny that it was delayed just for the Giants to get swept.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

is there an actual rule this would be covered under? legitimately curious

Page 19/192, rule g: https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/wqn5ah4c3qtivwx3jatm.pdf

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Please stop giving the Houston Astros ideas

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Is San Diego a "keep throwing money in the hole forever until we win" type situation, or is the gravy train being shut down if they don't actually win soon?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/billburr/status/1716651739397681641

Reminder baseball is a business and MLB is always going to cover its rear end

Popete posted:

I always liked Chapman when he was on the A's and I believe in him.

Chapman hitting in Wrigley would do wonders for his statline

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I really appreciate it. :unsmith:

If it gives you any solace, you knew you had time remaining and made the most of it. My dad passed unexpectedly, and I saw zero of him for over a year due to the pandemic.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

kalensc posted:

I'm so sorry Red, that's truly heartbreaking to imagine, I can't fathom the frustration and helplessness you and your family must have experienced.

My father was diagnosed with cancer in the summer of 2020, and I vividly recall my anxiety and anger at the futility I felt daily until he showed a response to treatments. But that can't possibly compare to what you went through. gently caress covid.

:love:

(triple-posting because gently caress you death and heartbreak, I'll fill a whole page if I want to express sympathy and caring for my fellow SAS'er)

Thanks, buddy. The shame is that he really would have loved this Phillies team, among other things.

Goons, go with your dad to ballgames, it's the best. One of the best memories I have with my dad is a trip to a Phillies game, and sitting in 30-degree weather to watch Kevin Frandsen walk off the Royals.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm honestly a little offended that my dad wasn't important enough for Nick Castellanos to hit a homer.

Nick the Stick draws strength from public announcements.

You, on the other hand, can draw strength from good and cool posters in SAS.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/FMBuster/status/1717157731931422722

People are pissed, but I don't blame the players

Red
Apr 15, 2003

After all this, if Thomson platoons Marsh next year, I swear to God

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/TJE5909/status/1717061340714447094

Taijuan Walker unhappy he didn't play in the postseason, and is liking posts that are upset about it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Would you want the Yankees sign to Juan Soto if he was a FA this year? Of course you would. So why shouldn't they trade for him?

He's a fine corner OF.

Juan Soto plays in a pitcher's park yet has a poor negative dWAR, the worst on the team by far.

Look up OF rankings on Fangraphs, he's not very good.

And holy poo poo is Esteury Ruiz bad. How can someone that fast be so lovely at fielding?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

Wouldn’t a pitcher’s park be worse for Soto because there are more balls for him to make plays on?

Defensive runs saved takes everything into account - so his poor rating there means he's generally bad at most, if not all, aspects of defense. Petco being pitcher-friendly gives him more opportunities to succeed/fail. Petco has a lot of foul territory (if I remember right), which I would assume should give him at least some occasional easy plays.

Even more interesting is that the guy next to him (Trent Grisham) is good, and should occasionally help him out. But nope.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Grisham and Tatis are elite defenders so being worse than them doesn't mean much.

Soto's numbers are bad but he makes the routine plays. Anyone who says they wouldn't want him cause of his defense is looking for a reason to not want him.

Yeah, but I think the point was that if he's well below average defensively at age 25, his decline may be pretty steep as he gets older.

And my understanding was that defensive stats can be affected by being surrounded by good defenders.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Padres aren't likely to be looking for just prospects in a Soto trade. They're going to want cheap(ish) major league players. Plus prospects, ideally. It depends how many teams decide they've gotta have him what they end up getting.

Could the Padres deal Soto to New York for cash and picks alone? Granted, both would have to be significant, but it both allows the Padres to run with what they have and keep the farm going for a while.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Verdugo is a JAG

He led the Sox in doubles and triples this year. Defensively, he was a positive value.

Then again, he's a doofus that isn't really great at anything, and probably doesn't start for many teams in baseball.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kirios posted:

Flagstaff is a gorgeous city it does not deserve to be lumped in with the rest of Arizona.

It's a really nice ski resort town and is totally unlike the rest of the state.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kirios posted:

Plus Northern Arizona / Southern Utah is the most beautiful part of the country.

I got to visit there, but I lived in the shittiest part of Arizona.

Hint: They filmed Return of the Jedi and Stargate there. I was too young to be an extra in Stargate by about 6 months, but a bunch of my friends are in it. Also, the Padres used to hold spring training there until they managed to escape.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

while pocketing like a hundred million of revenue sharing that goes right into their goldman sachs ghoul owners pocket while having one of the lowest payrolls in the sport.

I think this is one reason (of many) why people cheer for players instead of the owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

turns out that rooting for rays players is pretty fraught territory too

Aside from bullpen guys that poo poo their pants over a pride patch and the player/team doctor who sexually assaulted kids, there

Never mind