Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

drat, an unexpected Sklansky appearance in that vid. Gonna have fun watching this one, thanks IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The existential postseason dread hit me this morning on my commute. Something about the schedule and opponent all being set now makes it feel more real.

Then I got this text from my father:

It’s not Bob but it’s almost as bad

Such an incredible all-timer "who filmed that & allowed it to go public" gif.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Despite the Braves winning a title a few years ago and 105 game this year, they have some of the biggest loser energy I've seen

The 1-2 of Snitker admitting they don't want to play the Phillies and Strider wanting to pitch without fans, like how does Braves PR not shut that down

Lol what

Snitker being honest is fine, it can be spun

But what's Strider saying, he wants covid 2020 style back on the menu? (I'm listening...)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Intruder posted:

Pfft I bet he only collects them for the gum

Hah, just yesterday I was talking to my father and brother about Immaculate Grid and it prompted my dad to ask if they still sold card packs with the sheet of gum inside.

Now I'm nostalgic for some Big League Chew.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

shyduck posted:

I'm more annoyed how someone threw away presumably hundreds of dollars to do this before the game even started

I'd read it was in the immediate aftermath of the final out, with the bullpen in the outfield walking towards their dugout.

Anyways, random security guards going American Gladiator on foolish schmucks is lovely to see. Unfortunately we've seen some isolated incidents over the years where the "fan" goes after a player or coach with malicious intent, so it is what it is.

The guy who escaped by climbing over the fence and up a hill behind center field should create a MasterClass video, help these thrill-seekers out.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Intruder posted:

remember last year when philly lost 3 championship games/series within like 4 months

that was fun

First time a city lost 2 professional league championships on the same day (MLB, MLS), apparently.

Although I feel like there's definitely a town in the UK that lost the finals of three sports in one day but no one's cross-referencing Northumberland's 1963 results in soccer, rugby union, and cricket, or whatevs. Their suffering singularity should gain recognition.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Should I be surprised Leyland isn't in already? I guess I'm just conflating longevity with quality, but maybe he's never been eligible until now?

Anyways, some great squads but bad luck with Pittsburgh and Detroit with a Marlins WS sandwiched between, plus a WBC title in 2017, he retired for good after 3 straight division titles, and a had a cool stache.

Cito also had a rad stache, and he was the first African-American manager to win a WS, and he called out Steve Simmons and Bob McCown publicly, so I hope the two guys get in.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Related:

https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/1717022734608158880?s=20

Credit to JEFF, he tweeted 15min before the DBacks needled him.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

bawfuls idea is excellent because fantasy/simulated realignment and restructuring of leagues and playoffs is always fun (for nerds (like me))

Also someone has to fill in for the hole oystertoadfish left behind

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Baseball is like the one North American pro sport (hockey too, perhaps) where regular season success is absolutely deserving of accolades.

While the World Series will always be held in higher regard, baseball has decades of history which celebrate the best teams from April through September. "The Giants win the pennant!" is a legendary call of a phenomenal regular season climax.

162 (or 154) games is a lot! The playoffs are a crapshoot hugely impacted by injuries. The answers to "Which org performed the best during the year X?" and "Which roster won the October tournament in year X?" will very often be different, and acknowledging both seems very reasonable from a practical standpoint and from a historical tradition angle.

Also gently caress ownership and Manfred (and Selig) for steering the sport towards a structure where there's less and less incentive to invest in your organization and pay the players (in the majors and minors) commensurate salaries for their production.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

#1 seed determined battle royale style. Team owners only. Just how bad do you want it?

Have a fan poll using this site with the 30 owners listed as the candidates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Holy poo poo it was 5-0 when I read the post above me (maybe now several posts above me), and before I finished reading about Garcia/Scherzer it was 10-0. :stare: