Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

How it all started: I work in a large tech company in Silicon Valley so luckily my worksite provides food, gym and a shower. The biggest drawback was my commute and gas. I remember my first month spending $500 on gas alone on top of over 40 hours of commuting for that month. So I decided to take my money and the time I could have spent sleeping back. A year later here I am. I thank car camping for enabling me to save on resources and for being that first step of developing a minimalist mindset.

I park near my worksite from Sunday evening to Thursday followed by going home Fridays and typically fill up 2-3 times a month. Some weekends I won’t even go home but rather spend that time exploring places within distance due to saving on fuel/wear and tear. I’ve also gotten to a point where I know where I will park that night. Residential areas, in-door parking lots and with a little common sense, down the street from my work site. I know this is only temporary but I am truly appreciative for these lessons.

The biggest thing is just making it work for you. If you don’t have the same luxury as I do, dedicate some planning to ensure things like the laundromat, gym, and food situation is within close proximity. (To save the most money and make things convenient) Reset your interior and keep things sectioned off. Also prepare for each season weather-wise as well as a solution for mosquitos/bugs slipping through your cracked windows. (I learned the hard way one time) As for me, I will continue doing this for as long as I can. Feel free to ask any questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
No problem, it's a sedan

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Breetai posted:

He works in tech in a large silicon valley company which means that he is underpaid yet does unpaid overtime coding new ways of either fracking the cerebrospinal fluid of adorable kittens directly from their twitching bodies, or else reinventing something that currently exists only worse, with overengineered tech/internet connectivity, and ongoing micropayments.

We're working on IOT Biometric mattresses. Like the old Sleep Number system but with an app. It calibrates exactly to your circadian rhythm, adjusting throughout the night to give you the ideal sleep.

Spazzle posted:

Get a van, weirdo.

Nah, gas mileage

lol

blight rhino posted:

the car doesn't even look that long.

how tall are you?

I say gently caress the haters, and live your life
as a vagrant that parks in people's neighborhoods.

:buddy:

I am 6'2"

Saalkin posted:

Why even go back to your car? Just sleep under your desk

I think it's healthy to get some time out of the office every day

Amphigory posted:

That's bleak

Are the windows totally blacked out? Is there no way people can see you in there?

They're tinted pretty dark in the front. In the back there's also tint plus I put up black panels over the windows at night

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

feelix posted:

While it is funny that OP is sleeping in his car while ostensibly developing a mattress, he's probably not really developing anything because the startup will likely go under before shipping a single unit and he will have wasted his life for nothing

I believe in the product. I wouldn't be here if I did. I'm advocating for the user experience because better sleep improves peoples lives, and with our smart connected mattresses it's a measurable improvement. I think we're shipping q2 24 at the latest. Just some kinks to work out- like right now if it loses connection it defaults to a deflated setting because the feedback loops cut out. But these things do work!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Love giving data to corporations such as how often I wash my sheets and how many pumps it takes to finish in my wife etc. Thank you for your sacrifice op.

Sexual health is health. Our algorithm does automatically recognize those uses of the product, but recording and retention of that data subset is an optional user setting.

Eclipse12 posted:

If you're whackin' it in the trunk, do you keep it unlatched to add an element of excitement and danger that someone might come by and take a lil peek?

What are your trunk whack strats, op?

This is a little immature, even for GBS.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Lotta haters itt

You should get a pet for your car. Like a deranged bird or weasel

Not sure the lifestyle is suited to birds or mammals but I've considered a small fishtank or terrarium.

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

Am I going to electrocute myself to death when I drunkenly piss on this fancy e-mattress

No. It's perfectly safe.

Genesplicer posted:

Where will you sleep when your apartment is in the shop?

I'll sleep at my place, I'm not in the car full time although I'm considering it

Chinatown posted:

why would u buy a performance sedan that u cant do donuts or burnouts with OP?

It's chipped, it does burnouts just fine

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Friday evening so I'm heading home. Like I said, I'm not in the car full time. But thanks for razzin me :rolleyes:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

sudonim posted:

I'm also starting to think this is a bit, I work in device firmware/software and this is like smart device 101. It's has to be smart enough without an Internet connection to do most of its functionality.

Then again givin how many lovely IoT products are out there it's possible this is real. The Juicero was real after all.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Okay I am lolling than god you posted this

Neckpain from your mattress deflating once it loses connection with the internet. The middle of the night. Imagine being on sleep meds and having this happen

Look. Obviously it's not that we can't design it to just sit at a static inflation level without a connection. That's trivial. But the point of differentiation from old dumb mattresses is that the inflation, firmness, and bolster levels are constantly monitored and adjusted by AI. That means it needs to phone home so a connection to a remote server is necessary. I've advocated as a UX issue that the default behavior should more closely replicate the normal mattress experience, but it's contentious because the higher-ups think people just won't connect in the first place if they don't have to. :shrug:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I could honestly leave Monday morning but I go out for work Sunday evening to beat the Monday morning rush hour and go home fridays.

I did this after one month into my role. Instead of spending $500 a month on gas and wasting over 40 hours of commuting, I save more money and gain more sleep. (Spend an average of $180 on gas and 8-10 hours of commuting a month now)

I also did this because my worksite provides a gym, shower and food which I also saw as an opportunity. Just imagine yourself in my situation and think about how much YOU can save.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Let me say this: I appreciate the genuine concern from the people that showed it. But there's also a lot of unwarranted negativity and outright hostility. I'm not really sure where that's coming from, but I assure you that this setup is working for me.

blight rhino posted:

You didn't answer if you have a place to live, that you pay for.

Otherwise, I missed it.

Also, what type of car is it? Searching found it to be a Suburu, Sedan, Legacy is basically 16' long. can you stretch out?

Do the cafeteria people wonder why you're there three times a day, every single day?

how many pairs of underwear do you have? Pants?

I've been pulling for you, but you're ignoring vital questions

I lived in a '98 toyota tercel, because I didn't have a loving choice, stop acting like you're all hoity-toity

Yes I've got a place. That's not what this thread is about. Vehicle is a 2020 Subaru WRX with access to the trunk which backseats folded down where I sleep on memory foam under a sleeping bag. Windows are limo tinted all around with additional sun shades to make them impossible to see through. All I bring with me is enough clothes for the week and hygiene essentials. I can stretch out ok.

I also have lockers at work so that saves me space.

BigBadSteve posted:

So what do you do when you need a poo poo at night OP... squat on the kerb?

Tristesse posted:

Where do you piss at night and why is it different when you piss on the curb vs the average unhoused person?

You are spending the majority of your life at work at this point, and the obsession over 500 bux in gas tells me they are not paying you enough to make up for that loss in work life balance. The way I look at it you aren't saving any commute time, you are just trading in ALL of your personal time during the week to the office for very little gain. I'm not cyberstalking you to find out what you home life is like but I would venture a guess that something unpleasant is happening to encourage you to act like an urchin and think this is some kind of neat shortcut to life.

There's a lot of bathroom questions. Listen, we're all adults here. I think this obsession is a little immature. I don't really need to go at night that often. But I work in tech (on-site) and I’m certainly lucky to work at a place with 24 hour access to Food, Showers and a Gym. So mostly that's the answer. In case of emergencies I do have a box of toilet gel packets but I have never needed to use them. For the curious: https://www.amazon.com/Poesie-Degradable-Absorbent-Recreation-Emergency/dp/B09LHCX7NF/

hbag posted:

i think he said earlier it's because the management don't want people not connecting their mattress to the wifi (lol)

the bed has loving drm

yoloer420 posted:

There is literally no reason you couldn't run the model (or an "almost as good" model) locally. You can get MCUs that can run CNNs more than large enough for your application for ~$15-20 USD a unit, you'd be able to easily keep the power draw under 10w which would be minimal compared to the pumps etc.

This is of course assuming that using AI is actually beneficial. As an alternative you could also use AI to derive a more traditional algorithm that would fit on a ~$0.20 MCU that will run on nanowatts of power. That way you can still use AI in your marketing without actually having to deal with the expense of running AI either in the cloud or on an edge device.

For data collection you could still have your mattress refuse to inflate unless its app connected during initial setup, and then again if it hasn't fed back data for X days.

I am available to consult lol.

Believe me, we've had these conversations. If you want to call it a pejorative term like DRM, then fine. Maybe this product isn't for you. But it's a project requirement that the mattress is connected when in use because of the utility of the active monitoring. That means we don't need a lot of onboard computing power because it's all done in the cloud. It's really not more sinister than that.

covidstomper58 posted:

I'd like to know how far the smart mattress has been trained on non human objects on the bed.

Does it know how to raise ridges around a body pillow so it doesn't slide around?

Can it detect human shaped objects and add simulated shuffling movements to it?

What about those pillows shaped like a human arm?

Is there a VR mode that detects when you have your VR headset on and the largest open area in your living situation is the bed and like sets the edges to your movement area? Like say in the back of a car?

I get that you're just joking about VR but no, we're not trying to integrate it with VR. The product is mainly for improving sleep. It does this by adjusting firmness and temperature automatically and at a high resolution. It has weight sensors under each cell in the grid, heat wires, and pex tubing for cooling. It's great for hot sleepers.

In terms of "knowing" what's on it we've discussed adding an infrared camera but that obviously would need to be mounted outside of the mattress and there's concerns that consumers would see it as intrusive. If we pursue that it'll be an optional add-on.

McSpanky posted:

It's fascinating that the people who have been driven to these extremes seem to always think that they've mastered a superior way of life or unlocked an amazing productivity/efficiency shortcut, instead of realizing that they're wage slaves who've chained themselves to the yoke willingly.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

As a licensed therapist I would like to chime in and add that OP's lifestyle is also quite bad.

It's working for me, that's why I'm sharing it with you. I showed my husband this thread and he thought it was pretty funny. Especially the stuff about the pet. He got me these little guys for weeknight company:

I'm gonna hatch 'em in a Big Gulp in the cupholder. If people are curious about updates I'll take some pics as they grow.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yes, there's a monthly fee for the active monitoring. It's not a one time cost because you're buying a product with a service, not just a big hunk of foam and springs.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Three Olives posted:

Those are really specific problems, the Q4 started cannibalizing Q8 sales and then the Q5 went after both of them, they are also expensive with confusing optioning. The Hummer, dear lord, that is a $110,000 crime against humanity, the GV80 high-end luxury SUV that doesn't qualify for any tax credits and the Mach-E, Ford did a really lovely job with allocations and made way to many GTs that aren't selling at all. Also Ford dealers are actively not trying to sell them in a huge fight with Ford over the EV dealership model with many dealerships still marking them up to outrageous prices even though the supply chain has smoothed out.

Also there is little chance that the batteries are going to degrade 50% over 10 years, I think everyone is warranting their batteries for 8 years at 70% capacity and one of the issues with cost and supply chain is they are really putting batteries that are significantly larger than they should be in almost everything.

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Just hangin out watchin youtube, thanks for asking!