Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHs3_T4CVLY

I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion (I don't think Brock or Dak are their team's MVP), but he makes good arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Someone on the ringer podcast pulled the stats and if you only included Purdy’s passes that were at or behind the line of scrimmage he’s a top 5 qb in basically every category. That’s not praise for Purdy, that’s damning evidence.

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/brock-purdy-rank-yards-after-catch/1680922/

Far be it from me to doubt the word of a The Ringer podcast, but I’m not sure it’s the damning evidence you think it is. Pretty sure it’s not any kind of evidence.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Not to mention it’s Pat Mahomes who leads the NFL in benefiting from YAC this year. I can’t believe what an amazing offense The Chiefs have this year and how overrated Mahomes is, etc lazy argument etc

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I think it's a combination of draft status - "I didn't evaluate this guy as a good QB coming out of college, and I'm never wrong exclamation point exclamation point" - and a lot of people who really hate the idea of the 49ers getting an potentially exceptional QB again.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Purdy benefits from YAC more than any QB in the league and it’s not close.

I believe your chosen statistic is largely meaningless, and your conclusion is incorrect. The 49ers’ offense benefits more from YAC than other teams offenses do, but that doesn’t reflect negatively on Purdy, because Purdy is also 2nd in Air Yards per completion. This is why his percentage of YAC isn’t outrageously high. He’s not just drinking and dunking, he’s making tough throws to get the ball to that stacked roster in position to get all those yards after the catch.

The offensive scheme and targets help provide a lot of YAC.

Brock Purdy is making good, challenging throws with excellent placement to get the ball to those targets.

Both of these things are true, and the one does not detract from the other.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Purdy is 2nd in Air Yards / Completion but he’s 11th in Intended Air Yards / Completion. The stats suggest he is generally taking shorter passes but on occasion takes advantage of when play design and talent provide huge air-yard down-the-field openings.

Purdy is also middle of the road on advanced accuracy stats (like bad throw %), which is further evidence that the deep throws are just… a normal qb in an extraordinary situation.

At 10th out of 32, it doesn't suggest that unless you're predisposed to interpret it so. A more charitable person would say he's taking what the defense gives him until he sees a deeper open shot to take advantage of; something most great QBs do.

Bad Throw % is a stat that "punishes" QBs who throw with anticipation and/or throw to lead their targets in order to give them more YAC, which I believe we can agree is the kind of QB Purdy is.

Again that’s not saying Purdy is bad, but it’s further evidence that he’s not an MVP player making incredible plays. He’s just working the machine that Shanahan built.

It's not evidence of anything. It's potentially suggestive of some things that you would seemingly like to be true, but only if looked at through a biased lens.

Purdy’s receivers/tight ends are also hilariously better at catching than other teams. Purdy/SF leads the league in lowest drop rate at an unbelievable 2.0%. 2nd place is 3.5%. League median is around 4.7%. The gap between first place (Purdy) and second place is bigger than the gap between second and twenty-first.

If you want to continue to hold the talent on his team against him, that's your prerogative.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
It's weird how people don't get or don't care that different QBs have different strengths and skillsets, or that some of them fit different schemes better than others :shrug:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

MrLogan posted:

Dak is just dunking on really bad opponents. He is so up and down.

It's this one.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

biceps crimes posted:

49ers o line might not quite be in the, like, top 10 on the pass rush (aside from future HOFer Trent Williams), but without checking the stats, they've gotta be top 5 when it comes to the run.

I don't think Brandon Thorn rates them in the top 10, but I'm far from an o-line expert and couldn't tell you. What I can say is most of their run success comes from running left (behind Trent Williams), so whatever their success rate is, it's heavily skewed by that.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
This seems very germane to certain posters ITT

https://twitter.com/OmahaProd/status/1736927488536723656

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Dutchy posted:

Yeah I've gotta think if Purdy sits we'll also be getting good long looks at Jauan Jennings, Ronnie Bell, and Jordan Mason

And, god help us, the backup left tackle.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

predicto posted:

In Jimmy G's best year he was barely top half in QB rating. Usually he was much worse.

On the other hand, he is extremely handsome, so it really is a wash

In his two best years, Jimmy G was absolutely in the top half.

Outside of those two years, though, you're right. Mostly due to being constantly injured, but also because he was limited in what he could do.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

That smile alone won half his games.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The biggest difference is the plays Purdy doesn't make. Like throwing a dumbass pick into double coverage with the lead and three minutes left in the game.

The things Jimmy was never able to do:
stay healthy,
throw a deep pass to the boundary,
see an inside linebacker.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

whos that broooown posted:

Get ready for the next great Ohio State quarterback in 3-4 years, Air Noland.

There's no rule in the rulebook that says a dog can't play quarterback!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The337th posted:

awful offense that can only score one TD in non-garbage time unless their MVP is carrying them, correct

fraud coach/RB being carried by Mr. Irrelevant

Finally y'all get it :hmmyes:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
As long as the QB MVP isn't Dak Prescott, I have no problems. Lamar is great, and there are still better non-QB options that could take it.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think Bryce's momentum has been stopped dead.

Tbf his mass is way too low to carry much momentum.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you think that’s impressive, Lamar Jackson is going to win the MVP without any pro bowl skill position players at all!

You're right, they're both extremely impressive QBs in their own right :hmmyes:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Forrest on Fire posted:

Whoa whoa I think the world of Joe Flacco but PUMP THE BRAKES

But what would the NFL be without overwhelming recency bias?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nervous posted:

I don't think I'll ever get over the Niners stumble dicking their way into their guy like they have.

At least I had the LoB and peak Scoregon for awhile there. That was a spoiled time.

You had Russell Wilson as a third round pick after backing up the money truck for Matt Flynn :shrug:

(I was really looking forward to watching Matt Flynn nosedive your team into the ground)

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Pain of Mind posted:

Surely this must have happened before unless something about a playoff game is missing in the statement. Fake edit, just looked at this year’s schedule: Murray and Stanford are in the same division, they played Mayfield, Lawrence, and Burrow this year. That covers the first round picks for 2009, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 and I did not look at the last 3rd of last season when Purdy took over. The last pick starting QB is the hard part of that pairing to find, first round picks are a dime a dozen.

I think maybe you misread the fun fact?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Pain of Mind posted:

That is how I interpreted "overall" as well, but what is confusing me is that that statement true is for the examples I gave as well, but I must be interpreting the statement incorrectly since everyone is telling me so (without any playoff qualifiers).

You’ve got it, but it’s a Fun Fact, not a This Has Never Happened Before fact.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

My fun fact is that Tom Brady is a dirty child kissing cheater

This is not actually fun, though it is a fact.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

AndrewP posted:

The Dolphins are the 49ers - the scheme is the star

I'm not looking to reopen the argument about Purdy, but I am curious as to why you don't include the Packers or Rams in this? Brevity, or because you believe they're different?

Edit: I guess you could toss Bengals and Vikings in there, too, if you're feeling adventurous.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nodoze posted:

Matthew Stafford was good outside of LA, Packers have had multiple QBs under multiple coaches be good

I'm unsure your Packers point works, because it's a new scheme with almost entirely new personal under LaFleur. Unless it's simply the organization, being well run, makes it more likely the QBs they pick are good?

Boiling it down, then, and please tell me if this is an incorrect generalization, but you're focusing on past success as an indicator.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Multiple players (current & former), coaches, and executives have publicly said JLove has everything you want in an elite QB. The scheme helps, but when a QB can easily recognize a coverage of a fake cadence, change protection, hot route out, etc, it makes for an exceptional talent.

That's a good point.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

JLove had all the traits and tools (and size) you want from a QB coming out of college, but he did not throw that much and only had one excellent season. Credit to LaFleur, Gutey, and Clements for getting him ready and being patient.

So combining your first post with this one, am in correct in saying that you trust the evaluation of quarterback experts, but only if the QB in question meets a certain threshold of traits and tools (and size)?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I trust players more than analysts. I don't care what the size a player is. But if the dude is your stereotypical big QB with a big arm that can make all the throws, I want that over any other type.

Thanks for indulging me, that's excellent nuance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure how anyone could look at what the Vikings backups did this season and include them in the conversation

This is cowardice.