Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Just went back and watched the first half of the Panthers game I missed this morning. Bryce looked a lot better this week - compared to last. At least I guess some of the stuff they were talking about doing to make life a little better seems to have paid off some. Plays seemed to come in a little quicker and there was more direct three step drops and less slow developing mesh and rub routes that just haven't been working. I've also noticed there's a few of those chemistry things that are starting to come together less balls being put where the receiver wasn't expecting and less of receivers just giving up on plays because they're expecting Bryce to gun it, even if they're covered because for whatever faults he does have Bryce can find a window some guys just couldn't with his accuracy and placement.

That being said the second half from the Panthers was pretty disappointing. They got away from the run game that had been working and there seemed to be a lot of just plain old bad blocking, poo poo play design and bad performances - especially on third down.

Its damning with faint praise but at least there was some improvement this week.

It really kind of looked like the dolphins didn’t run anything special in the first quarter on offense or defense, and then decided to score thirty five unanswered points. Panthers are a BAD bad team.

Bryce still rolls out like there isn’t a 250 pound monster who’s faster than him on his heels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

that was quick

quote:

ESPN’s Stephen Holder reports Colts QB Anthony Richardson (shoulder) is likely to miss the remainder of the season.

Richardson was placed on injured reserve following the team’s Week 5 game. This seems to confirm suspicions that the electric rookie quarterback was considering season-ending surgery to address an AC joint injury. It could be the Gardner Minshew show in Indianapolis for the rest of the 2023 season.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ozymandius1024 posted:

JT just bagging on Thielen's lack of speed is a good running bit (the LA Fitness comment almost had me crying), but he made sure to give him lots of props for the catches.

The lack of creativity in offense is still very apparent, and (like JT said) it really magnifies the deficiencies in talent on offense. They need to find some way to work around the lack of speed in the WR corps (or buy DJ Chark some stickum).

Gotta use your hands to catch for Stickum to be effective.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bryce two interceptions yesterday were BAD, and they were both in drives where the panthers were moving the ball. The offense was clicking.

First one was just a stupid back foot throw across his body.

Second one he sailed on a screen because someone had broken through, but good lord that was an awful pass.

Bryce footwork is getting worse and more bizarre. He kinda does this gradual, relaxed drop back and then bounces around waiting for something to get open. He’s playing like an uncle at thanksgiving who knows he can outrun an eight year old after “3 Mississippi.” They’re even starting to mention it on the broadcasts. It’s what leading to him constantly throwing from weird angle and sailing passes.

It’d also why I think they’ve been so terrible with anything requiring timing. I remember it early on when he missed a comeback route against Atlanta I think and the announcers were like “oh yeah had to be on the receiver” but then they saw his feet and were like ehhhhhhhhh. I have no idea why this Dream Team Coaching staff is letting him walk around like this. It’s maddening. Just a short little guy standing flat foot behind a poo poo offensive line waiting for a bunch of slow receivers to not get open after running a route from 1978 that frank “just had to have in the playbook.”

Panthers fans anguish over the young situation is multi factorial of course, and lots of things are sunk costs that they should just get over. Stroud looks amazing, even though he struggled against the panthers (for some unknown reason). So much of the panthers struggles are coaching and staff related, but there’s no quick answer there either. Reich isn’t even calling the plays anymore, but he created them and Jones can only shoot the bullets he has. Fun fact: still have not called a play action rollout all season.

Panthers fans were sold a narrative on Bryce. This involved the coaches, the owner, the owners wife, everyone. This is more than just general enthusiasm for a player or a number one pick. They did everything to promote this myth about him: they closed off most practices to the press, they hid him in the preseason and let him throw maybe ten passes, he had an “injury” when they were worried he’d get killed in Seattle. Just a full effort and this is what we have.

Bryce looked awful yesterday. He made the kind of mistakes he was specifically NOT supposed to make, both were terrible wounded ducks, and both of them were on drives where things were going well. And this was against a defense that was giving up points to EVERYONE. Through 7 games of Bryce young, all the panthers fans have to be optimistic about is a rare good throw, a bunch of “oh he should have caught that!” and a fifteen point “explosion” against the Texans. I don’t know who watches him play and gets excited for the future.

Yeah the team sucks around him but does anyone think he could be doing what Stroud is doing? CJ is throwing passes all game that Bryce hasn’t attempted all year. Panthers gave up a fortune for a player who, based on what dalton did in Seattle, is actively making the offense worse.

Dark days in Carolina. Probably their lowest point as an organization. Everyone needs to go, including the ownership. The second half panthers last year, with Wilks as head coach and Darnold at QB and /spins wheel Nolan smith are probably first place in the nfc south and probably 6-2.

Instead we have….this. No present. No future.

Team knows it too which is why they’ve been making such a big deal about retiring jerseys and old players and keeping them around.

All we have is the pre tepper past.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

Correct, so I definitely speak from experience

I guess the difference is that the best QB from the 2007 class was *checks notes* Drew Stanton, while there are actually a lot of promising rookies from this class so far except Young

Texans taking carr let the panthers take peppers.

The debt had to be repaid.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AndrewP posted:

god the standard for rookie QBs is so impossibly high these days. I will say interceptions aren't the worst thing for a rookie QB to be doing, at least he's taking chances.

the footwork does look terrible though, he just doesn't seem to be in much of an athletic stance back there

Interceptions are fine if he’s pushing the ball downfield or challenging defenses. At the least you can say he has the arm to do it.

Again, his two interceptions yesterday were none of those things. Just a dude is bad offense who looks like he’s seeing ghosts without any footwork. Literally every other rookie qb has shown more than young.

He does not look like he can move an offense in the nfl.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He threw two pick sixes on passes within 5 yards of the LoS, it’s not like he was gunslinging and just got burnt.

I think his size is contributing to his happy feet because any interior pressure makes it very hard from him to operate in the pocket since he can’t see over or get the ball over the defenders, so he starts farting around looking for clear passing lanes.

It’s even on his drop back tho. No technique, no precision, just a relaxed few steps to the bounce around spot

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Texans OL is injured, could explain the drop in running production.

Also, Stroud is loving awesome. Obviously surrounding coaches and context matter but it’s also possible that Stroud is just better than Young. Because he is. It was absolute madness that Young wasn’t the first qb taken. So maybe hiring the qb coach or OC from Houston helps Bryce (almost certainly because Carolina’s situation is shot), but it doesn’t guarantee that Bryce will suddenly turn into Stroud.

like I said, I haven’t seen Bryce complete any of the passes that stroud is routinely making in Houston. I’ve only seen maybe three deep ball that were even catchable. Like not “oh their timing was off” but him throwing the ball out of bounds.

Bryce couldn’t run the Texans offense, based on what he’s shown.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’m surprised at how awful their rb has looked, he looked pretty solid last season

Are you talking about the panthers?

Deonte Foremon didn’t resign and went to Chicago. Debate about whether the panthers lowballed him or if he wanted too much money. Regardless almost any panther fan will tell you they wish he was back.

Chuba Howard is….fine? He’s an acceptable one cut guy. He was technically the starter last year after the Cmc trade but obviously foreman was the work horse. He’s played okay or late, certainly better than….

Miles Sanders was the “big free agent” signing and he is god drat trash.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ozymandius1024 posted:

This is definitely the biggest issue. Not really sure how you solve it when the problem with your franchise is "poo poo Owner".

And that was an awesome post, BS. I've been super down on Bryce, but you're spot on with pretty much all of that post.

Mr Scot over at carolinahuddle has been banging the "Sign Kevin Colbert to run the team and Tepper doesn't touch anything else" drum for a while and I agree with it.

Tepper just needs to hire some stiff with good connections and actually let him do his job and also not let it be Ernie Accorsi.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

A lesson almost every new owner needs to learn: hire competent football people, let them make the decisions. Some owners never learn the first part, and others can never seem to hire the right people.

I suppose it can be hard to resist playing armchair GM with your $2B toy.

The panthers don’t even have field priority over the MLS team tepper owns

https://x.com/sheena_marie3/status/1721970097554673686?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Actually it’s not funny. It’s bad and sad.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

He’s closer to burrow and mahomes!

Why are they lying face down on the ground?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Calling it now, but Bryce is going to absolutely ball out against the nonexistent bears defense.

The colts had given up like 35 points in three straight games and shut the panthers down.

Bryce’s best game this season was a 15 point explosion against Houston.

It’s the moveable object v the stoppable force

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://x.com/WinksTape/status/1721566938466545943?s=20

the processing is so elite

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kirios posted:

It's really odd to see other franchises labeled worse than the Texans when they were the absolute laughing stock of the league (on and off the field) for like four years.

Panthers have been the worst team in the league over that span.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

late, short, and covered

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

he's getting worse every week

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

/immediately runs to his right out of the pocket

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bryce has hit one go route all season.

It was a badly under thrown ball that thielen had to come back for and catch over a defenders helmet. Most of the time his attempts go out of bounds.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bears dropped two pick sixes last night.

One was to a quadruple covered receiver.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

:suicide:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Eviro is legit, I guess? Or were the Panthers healthy for a game or something?

They weren't healthy for that game. secondary still a shambles, Burns had one arm, etc

Luvu won DPOTW that game, but stroud was missing a bunch of open passes in the second half.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Worst trade in nfl history was originaly a three team trade that would have got Texans to 1, Carolina to 2 and Chicago to 9.

It wasn’t happening right away so tepper just stomped his feet and told fitterer to make it happen.

quote:

According to Panthers owner David Tepper, however, that wasn't how the trade was originally drawn up.

"We had a trade to go up to No. 2," Tepper said. "It was a three-way trade with Chicago. And we were gonna go up to No. 2. And the Texans were gonna trade up to No. 1, Chicago was gonna go to No. 2, and we were gonna trade with Chicago (for No. 9 pick).

And we're waiting. I think we had that trade kinda arranged on Wednesday. I come from a world where you do trades, and I don't love when trades don't happen right away. So I'm driving Scott [Fitterer] crazy. I have to apologize to Scott for this, by the way.”

https://x.com/avl_mike/status/1724772224631017866?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Why in the name of god would you admit that

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

What if Bryce Young was white?

He’d be colt mccoy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Every week it is becoming more obvious that Bryce physically cannot play in the nfl.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tato posted:

I don't know how anyone in the Panthers organization can watch those agonizing 15+ play dink and dunk scoring drives that take 10+ minutes and not fire every single person in the organization. Well, the owner is an idiot and the team will continue to be awful, so I understand it won't fix anything, but watching those drives will literally sap your will to live. And they only manage to put one together per game.

The only explanation I can think of is tepper knows how bad it’ll look if he goes to the fourth coach in less than two seasons.

That and Bryce was his demand and he’s terrified fitterer and reich will spill the beans the second they’re off payroll.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

The first point's pretty valid, but I don't really see how the second affects him that much. He's already turned the Panthers into the worst team in the NFL since he bought the organization, a couple of former employees spilling the beans isn't going to make him look a lot worse... unless he's been like Dan Snyder bad this entire time and they've privy to it :tinfoil:

If the coach and gm state that tepper ordered them to make one of the worst trade in nfl history (which he has admitted to on video) and told them to take Bryce then he’d be the laughingstock of the league.

Prior to that loving dinner with Bryce every beat writer that covers the panthers, plus Albright who knows a weird amount about the team and Jordan rodrigue all said it was stroud. As lovely a coach as reich is turning out to be, I cannot imagine he stood next to Bruce and thought “this is a guy that can physically play in the nfl.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Bryce looks the same week 11 as he did week 1 teams are just better at exploiting the schemes now.

Bryce young threw two interceptions in week 1.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

My favorite thing about Tepper is when he was hired everyone assumed that because he was a minority owner for the Steelers that he’d have learned something and would mostly be hands off and let the football people make football decisions but instead he’s one of the most meddlesome and reactionary owners in the league.

I can't stop watching this.

https://x.com/uSTADIUM/status/1710386117386609008?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol even dez bryant is jumping on bryce

https://x.com/DezBryant/status/1728909708390748611?s=20

Dez Bryant posted:

I know this ain’t real

Bryce young I promise it’s not your fault boss

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Looking like Bryce didn't read the defense correctly, and Frank just lied about it to the media to protect him.

quote:

The Panthers had a play called that included an in-breaking route by DJ Chark Jr. and other downfield routes.

But thinking the Titans were in Cover 0 — man coverage with no deep defender — Young checked to a screen to Chark, who was pulled down by safety Amani Hooker for no gain.

Reich defended his rookie quarterback afterward, saying it was the right check and adding that Chark might have drifted back too far behind the line of scrimmage.

“When you hit that play right versus 0, it’s a touchdown. DJ probably came a little further back than he needed to. He’s not normally the guy in there for that,” Reich said. “We had a couple (receivers) go down. The play that we had called was going to put DJ on another in-cut, not that he was primary. So we wanted him in that spot. We just need to execute that better.”

But Chark said the Titans were not in Cover 0 and the Panthers would have done better to stick with the original call.

“It was against Cover 0, but they didn’t go Cover 0. My job is to get 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I have to check and see how far I was, but felt like I got 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage,” Chark said. “I’ve gotta watch film and see what it is.”

Asked whether he should have left the initial play call, Young also said he needed to watch the tape.

“We had an option to have that on. You play that cat-and-mouse game, and it didn’t go our way,” he said. “That’s on me. As a unit, we’ve just gotta execute on big plays.”

Also it really seems to feel that Bryce has been told at some point during his whole life upbringing as a future nfl qb to take blame but he never seems to understand what he's saying.

zimbomonkey posted:

you know how i know we've failed? do you know how i know this is rock bottom?

no one clowns on bryce. no one anywhere. nfl stars, even players from opposing teams, don't talk poo poo at all about him. Every time a player tweets or posts or talks at all about bryce young it always has the tone of "well gosh lil buddy, just keep your chin up and work hard and before you know it your dreams will come true." That is not how you talk about someone you respect as a player in the league. You talk about how you beat the poo poo out of them, how they couldn't get it done, you hosed their wife, whatever. Meanwhile these guys are talking to Bryce like he's a loving 9 year old whose parents got divorced. They're like a roomful of adults looking around afraid to be the one to say that maybe, just maybe, MAYBE Mom and Dad could have stayed together if you hadn't strained their relationship by being an annoying little poo poo. It is very possible that Bryce Young can't play football professionally due to size/physical limitations and that Frank Reich's playcalling and scheme are wet doodoo rear end.

bryce young is basically the nfl's make a wish kid.

oh my god this is right

reminds me of when the defense would help Armanti Edwards up off the ground

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 27, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://x.com/josephperson/status/1733931973440135669?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

There were several times today Vilma kinda froze in the announcer booth and you could tell he was trying to figure out the best way to say something.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 11, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

In case you missed the latest goat simulator mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK8-zFVHai8

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bucs beat writer sums it up

quote:

Panthers rookie Bryce Young went 13-for-36 in loss to Saints yesterday -- that's 36 percent completions, easily the worst by any QB in game with 20+ passes this season. Josh Dobbs and C.J. Stroud both went 10-for-23 (43%) last night -- three worst comp % games of 2023 in 1 week.

https://x.com/gregauman/status/1734197899381141580?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

This is with over 200 yards on the ground.

At this point I dont think we need to worry about what it takes for him to make the jump to elite nfl starter, or even to anyone worth what was spent to get him. We probably need to worry about him making the jump to backup quarterback. Yesterday looked like a practice squad qb.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think it was this one? In any case Kyle Shanahan deserves COY in every way and no one else is close.

https://twitter.com/thestevenruiz/status/1734600337820889448?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

It’s insane this is the same guy Matt Ryan started ignoring his first year in Atlanta.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

it was probably bryce's best game of the year

18/24 for 167 yards, no TDs, recovered both of his fumbles

hasn't thrown a TD pass in over a month

second highest ypa today at 7. Highest was 7.6 against houston

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

and oh my god do bryce's throws hang in the air. i know the conditions were terrible but his passes looked like floating chinese lanterns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What’s the opposite of laser

https://x.com/formerlyfiz/status/1736720992062378330?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA