Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I completely missed the boat on Youtube, I remember when it came out in like 2005 or whatever and at the time it was just a video hosting site, like imgur but for videos or whatever - a place you could upload a video and send your friends a link to it. And it never grew beyond that to me. I didn't know that "youtubers" and "channels" and people sitting around 'watching youtube' was a thing until like 4-5 years ago, and I can only name one 'youtuber' today (dan olson).

Every once in a while I'll google "youtube.com [whatever]" if I want to see a video of something, like a movie trailer or a guide for a video game, and that's the limit of my interactions with youtube. But I just checked and my adblocker (uBlock Origin) still works just fine for that. Suck it nerds.

Also googling "youtube.com [whatever]" is way better and more effective than actually going to youtube.com and searching there, lmao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

happyhippy posted:

People who goto sleep with the '8 hour relaxing rain' '10 hour Star Trek warp core' 'Lofi hip hop Samurai' channels must be pissed hearing 'DOO DOOO DOOO DOOO IM LOVING IT' every 15 minutes.

It's all about that cigar, bible, and chill (lofi + chant) these days

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's probably still an a/b test which means if you get th version of YouTube that doesn't allow adblockers and you continue to watch YouTube content you are actively contributing to making this change permanent

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wilkins Micawber posted:

*Harvey Dangerly* ...and I don't even own a TV

Since we're talking about Youtube it's more like "and I don't even own a minecraft duplo set"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Because youtube is a thing for babies

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think the advertising provider that owns Youtube cares about losing engagement from people who block ads.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Paying for Youtube is like sending money to the people who own billboards

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Like 80% of the good original poo poo on youtube simply wouldn’t exist if youtube wasn’t trying to deepthroat you with ads. the money has to come from somewhere

It's weird though because people who block ads aren't very high-value targets for advertisers. In some ways ad-blocking is a benefit to the advertisers because people who block ads are generally less likely to find ads compelling enough to click through and convert, which allows the advertisers to reach a higher-value audience for lower costs (they're paying for fewer impressions and those impressions are more likely to purchase).

The only entity that's hurt by ad blocking is the ad provider itself, Google. By banning ad blockers, they get to charge advertisers for a bunch of extra low-value impressions that are unlikely to convert. This doesn't affect the pay that goes to content providers, it just shaves some of Google's margins off.

I guess it hurts massive corporations with marketing budgets so large that putting the biggest possible numbers on paper becomes more important than actual RoI too.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 15, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh lmao, I didn't realize Youtube does weird MLM gymnastics to pass ad view metrics on to creators who aren't in control of them. On a sensible platform the creators would get paid for views of their content or licensing, not ad impressions.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 15, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

R.L. Stine posted:

professional crime documentary people (not some kid with Youtube Voice)got demonetized for talking about crime and had to edit every time they said 'blood' to say 'red' instead lol

If you send a creator $10 on Patreon or whatever you've essentially paid them the same amount that Youtube would pay them if you viewed ~220 12+ second ads on their videos

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In my dystopian future novel the primary source of income will be getting paid to sit in a box and watch ads for 8+ hours daily

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Private Cumshoe posted:

What can I do to help elon? he's helping humanity :)

https://neuralink.com/patient-registry/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

hbag posted:

im pretty sure if they're banning you they don't give a gently caress if you stop using youtube. since they're banning you and all

It's more that this stuff rolls out through A/B test where they serve the new (adblock disallowed) version to a segment of the userbase and make a decision on whether to roll it out across the board based on the reactions that segment has to it. If people just go ahead and get banned and/or stop using youtube when they see the popup, they'll reconsider rolling it out for everyone. But if people get that adblock warning and keep using youtube, it counts as a data point in support of rolling it out to everyone permanently.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXhnWUmMvw

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just imagine all the data a Google Fuckbot would gather about you and how many ads it would play

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

busalover posted:

Is it? I guess it's based on psychological studies/research.

Nah it's not fake. A lot of the older color theory type stuff is fake or bad because it relied on self-reports from focus groups but that stuff is obsolete. Modern marketing research is done through studying behavioral patterns of users through advanced surveillance capitalism techniques like tracking cookies, always-on microphones, and gps location. Modern cars are called "wiretaps on wheels" because of the absurd amount of behavioral data they're skimming from you every time you drive them, which all gets fed to market research firms who model out accurate behavioral patterns with them. Virtually any device you have that has even a rudimentary computer in it is contributing to this.

A real world example of how far this stuff goes is the case a few years ago where Target predicted a teen girl's pregnancy before she knew about it, and they announced it to her family by sending her dad coupons for baby products. They're able to accurately model out the behavior of pregnant women (in this case what clued them in was largely her switching to a non-fragrant shampoo). They now intimately know your demographics and they target you with ads tailored specifically to your demographics. By sending her coupons for baby products right around when they know she's first learning about her pregnancy, she's much more likely to use those coupons.

Google is going even further with it because they can e.g. sell demographics as foot traffic to brick & mortar businesses through the proxy of Pokemon go lures.

Cambridge Analytica literally used these tactics to put a POTUS candidate in office. It works.

Financial institutions know who your friends and close associations are through things like proximity of purchases, and they know that e.g. if someone advertises to both of you at the same time you become more likely to talk to each other about the product and purchase it. So they sell that information to advertising agencies.

Modern advertising goes way the gently caress beyond advertising products and maximizing turnover (like the 'uncomfortable seats in mcdonalds' thing) and leans hard into subversively influencing behavior, and if they're doing their job "right" (they are) you won't even recognize it as advertising.

This video is a good surface-level introduction to what advertising/marketing research is in the digital IoT age by the woman who literally wrote the book on surveillance capitalism:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 19, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Google claims that everything outside of their ads platform loses money, but it's because their ads platform is the only product they have that's designed to turn a profit - the rest exist solely to feed data into the ads platform.

All the google products that get cancelled don't get cancelled because they don't make revenue, they get cancelled because they can't find a way to harvest meaningful ads data from them.

It's called Surveillance Capitalism: The product is surveillance of you and the customer is not you, but the third-parties buying your data. The services are only a way of gathering that surveillance.

It also stifles innovation in every sector it touches because the way to make a more profitable product under surveillance capitalism isn't to provide a better product, it's to provide a product that gathers more data.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 19, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Another real world example is how social media like Facebook harvests data about (and intentionally manipulates) your emotional state, so that they can let advertisers target you when you are e.g. at your most depressed, when you're most likely to impulse purchase things like new clothes.

It's not just dystopian fear mongering, this is stuff that actually happens:
https://www.wired.com/2017/05/welcome-next-phase-facebook-backlash/

quote:

But earlier this month, The Australian uncovered something that felt like a breach in the social contract: a leaked confidential document prepared by Facebook that revealed the company had offered advertisers the opportunity to target 6.4 million younger users, some only 14 years old, during moments of psychological vulnerability, such as when they felt “worthless,” “insecure,” “stressed,” “defeated,” “anxious,” and like a “failure.”

Facebook has also used these tactics to intentionally incite an ethnic genocide in Myanmar in order to drive engagement with the platform :ssh:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 19, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been using uBlock Origin for at least 8 years, never had to update it once or switch to another ad blocker, and haven't seen an internet ad that entire time

I think the problem people run into when adblockers don't work for them is that most Ad Blockers available when you google for an ad blocker are actually owned by advertising companies, and they release ad blockers that block competitors' ads but keep all of their own ad servers on a whitelist that they can't block (or they let advertising firms like Google pay them to be whitelisted). But uBO is open source and completely non-monetized and has worked flawlessly since it was released.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 19, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's some highly curated regularly updated blacklists you can subscribe to with ublock that will make absolutely zero ads slip through and it owns.

I use some of these but I'm not on my desktop to check which ones:

https://github.com/yokoffing/filterlists#recommended-filters-for-ublock-origin

I think it's mostly the ublock combo list

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 19, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's like demonic possession, you can just pour a circle of salt around your house once and be protected, or you can pay the demon a monthly tithe to possess someone else instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tunicate posted:

That didn't actually happen, as far as can be determined the story is basically a form of meta-marketing.

The only source I can find repeating what you're saying here is an article by a guy with seemingly no credentials posted on medium (an outlet that allows literally anyone to write opinion pieces about any topic they want) who postulates that it's "probably not true" with his reasoning being: "I don't believe it"

e: lmao it's written by a Meta employee, a company famous for downplaying stories about data harvesting, who also writes articles about how raising minimum wage is bad

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 20, 2023