Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Also googling "youtube.com [whatever]" is way better and more effective than actually going to youtube.com and searching there, lmao

Google will still lend me a hundred video links that a ) aren't a video b) aren't the same subject matter I clicked or searched for c) a 2 second clip on some lovely website or d) some wiki for an action movie I never watched.

Going straight to YouTube makes it slightly less unlikely to find the wrong thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Prettz posted:

pretty poo poo considering I started using youtube for all my music listening like 10 years ago after p2p dried up
I must have streamed terabytes off youtube this year alone

If the Internet goes out my only options for media are on an ancient external hard drive with all my highschool music and a tiny bit of college music and some weird movies and things I downloaded I keep meaning to get to but don't even when its my only option.

The worst part of YouTube for music dependency is when it's algorithm steers you directly towards the exact same stuff over and over and when it steers you towards not music when you're clearly on a music tear.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I wasn’t kidding about government subsidies for youtube premium. it would be totally justifiable if congress decided to pony up for this

There should just be public utilities for the main internet services everyone wants to use but nobody likes seeing monetized since it inherently makes those services worse. People need a place to yell online about the news. They need a place to share pictures. They need a place to share videos. They need a place to post or share links to stuff people want to see or talk about.

Build two less missiles a year and spend the money on hosting all the basic poo poo we wanna gonna do online apparently.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

In my dystopian future novel the primary source of income will be getting paid to sit in a box and watch ads for 8+ hours daily

They did a Black Mirror of that

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Demons are all about living it up and having a good time doing all the stuff people enjoy doing.

Angels are absolutely the ones making ads. They work for Big Christian proselytizing, which is just advertising for their religion. They also work for God and one of his ten biggest rules is "don't make ads of any other gods who aren't me."

Officially Adam and Eve were kicked out of Eden because of the whole eating fruit from tree of knowledge thing... But scuttlebutt is they were actually kicked out for installing an AdBlocker that Lucifer offered them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember more commercial jingles from childhood for products and toys I never got asked for or wanted than a number high enough to appropriately convey too many.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edmund Sparkler posted:

How widespread is this?

I only have one ad blocker and it's a popular one, and I haven't gotten an interruption in ads being blocked on Youtube.

I haven't gotten it yet but YouTube always rolls out it's shittifications in batches to random segments at a time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
YouTube saved my life.

Before YouTube I weighed 32 pounds soaking wet, constantly starving. Then I saw my first mukbang video and thought I could try that and had my first bite of food... And success.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We're all moving to vimeo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You know God is always watching and gathers way more data on you than any tech company ever will be able to, right? Santa sees nearly as much and publishes some of his surveillance data every year.

I'm not gonna stop using them because of it. Who cares

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

naem posted:

you tube ads might get be annoying but the you-tubers themselves presenting the ad inside the video can’t be blocked

I’ll tell you what is not annoying though is today’s sponsor Raid™️ Shadow Legends©️™️©️

did you guys itt (in this thread!) know that if you act now using code ForumsUserNaem you get get two FREE shawdow warriors and eleventy-one Shadow Points!!

I’m just a forums user like you and maybe you should check it out haha here is a photograph of a hot elf woman

Install SponsorBlock and it'll skip past that poo poo for you.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You watch the Superbowl for the ads

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just criminalize advertising and email everyone a pdf with the website of businesses organized by alphabets algorithms

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just punch the loving monkey pay your dues

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat I guess people will just have to Google "watch [show] free" and click a link to start streaming it instead.

There was a brief moment where streaming was more convenient than illegal streaming sites but now the illegal ones actually have to compete with each other on better interfaces since they all have the same all content. They're better than paid streaming sites now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol when adults have an iPhone

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol remember when internet companies were threatening to start charging for bandwidth used, but had to back off when they realized the house of cards comes tumbling down if people are forced to start being vigilant over ads, bs, and all the unrequested data sent around.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Nope. These are not my "dues" to pay. Youtube has a problem coming up with revenue, Youtube can pick themselves up by the bootstraps and figure it out. Not my problem.

Spoken like a dipshit who will never win 500 dollars

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only ads I still get are from my NetZero banner and I just put sticky notes in my monitor so I cant see them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The General posted:

A very very long time ago there was a crackdown on ad blockers and everyday for like a week I had to fiddle with something to make them work. So I just stopped trying and have never bothered to go back. Yes I am a quitter at most things in life.

So a long time ago you were too dumb to paste one link into an auto filter list and gave up forever and just deal w ads ez ept for when you can use a friends account to avoid them good job

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Mr McDonald sitting in his golden tower spying on us through our TV saying we are loving it while sliding the pickle to speed up the 12 minute commercial to get back to the trailer for McDonald's Disney's Marvel's The Supersized Avengers movie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't get a straight answer anywhere can I or can I not get an STD from ads?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That article is just an ad for ads

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Edge kicks rear end, I definitely recommend everyone except me use it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Honestly if you own a TV these days I assume you're some kind of couch potato

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Videos on phone is such crap, I'd rather just not watch it at all if my only option is phone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

kdrudy posted:

Counterpoint, UIs can be annoying to write depending on the language you are using so deal with it.

I used Microsoft visual basic back on the day to make some cool GUIs for my copy pasted AIM progz, so I don't see why devs can't copy paste their rusty c sharp rubies or whatever into it the same way. They probably have a Microsoft visual advanced by now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Still using chrome and same adblock setup and haven't gotten these ads or 3 stroke threats. Dunno if it's still a/b rollout or what but always noided they'll creep through

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol is that real?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Again, I don't see any way there's significant percentage of people even using the things. You gotta understand even using extensions on your browser at all puts you in the "weirdo" level of the computer literacy iceberg.

Also seems like the adblocking crowd would make for a bad audience anyway, these are the people who hate ads enough to do something about it and finally sneaking some past them doesn't seem like it would do you any good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha remember when you would actually check your phone when you got a call because it might be a person instead of a spammer?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jokes on you, I make that wish for every game I play and also bowls of cereal just in case they turn into games. If I don't spend 20k a day on gambling games I turn into an exploding bus

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I use Pale Moon to play old flash games

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The General posted:

I just want to laugh at everybody who told me that ad blockers are 100% install once and never think about it again :laugh:

Can't be assed to click a couple things if you're in the bad batch of testing, but can be assed to sit through ads a hundred times a day. Guess you gotta get your laughs in at some point since you don't get much show time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GolfHole posted:

I'm still having 0 problems with this and its either because:

1) I'm in Canada
2) I also have a chromecast which I didn't pihole and so every now and again if I queue something to the TV directly I do actually see ads, even though all my PC browsers have adblock

Can anyone confirm either theory

Neither, they are only targeting dastardly villains so far. Anyone you see itt complaining about 3 strikes or ads sneaking through have been sentenced to advertising. Don't feel too bad, most likely they got sentenced for tying someone to railroad tracks, or trying to rob a train, or other train based crimes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lpzie posted:

I'm gratified when I see a new novel ad. They bring awareness to new products and sometimes it's something I need. So I appreciate that. On a repeat though I'm fine mentally tuning out and remaining calm. I think it makes me a better person in the long run.

Lol people who think they can tune out ads make advertisers in the wild salivate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like it'd be better to channel that hate at companies and advertisers. If people are too afraid of being exiled once people find out they make ads, then they might stop serving them to us.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Webrings would make a comeback if advertising went away.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does that also mean there won't be alternatives immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why doesn't html just make its own drat browser